Duke Nukem Forever

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever

After 12 years of development, you've got a lot to prove, Duke Nukem Forever.

Read Full Article

I don't expect it to be worth the wait, myself.

But I still hope for a damn good time.

I'm sick of hiding behind cover.

Playing modern shooters on Easy is the closest I can get to run-and-gun intense badassery of the past.

Outside of certain games, like the aforementioned Serious Sam.

Im hoping its good since I really did enjoy the original duke 3d but Im fully expecting it to be bad... well maybe not bad but just have a shitty pc release since 2k games has lately fucked something up with every pc game its put out

Wipe the slate clean? Yahtzee, are you taking away all expectation of this game besides it should be a return to fun or else? Well... I only wish that other people will follow suit.

Oh and thank you for clairfying that you WILL review Duke Nukem Forever compared to the idiots who THINK they know you and say "no he wont review it becuz he fookin hates evryfing evar and thinks no different of..."

You get the point. They don't know you, only you (And your friends and family) know you.

Calumon: But I don't like dice!

I never actually played the original game for more than a few minutes at a friends house, so I'm not really looking forward to this game very much. I do look forward to the real review and can't wait to put the two videos side-by-side.

Now Civilization V on the other hand. I've been reading everything I can and watching every video that comes out with new info on that. Only one more week left.

I was disappointed too that Wolfenstein didn't make it past the first round.

That really surprised me since even ZP haters said that it was excellent.

I dont really mind how bad/good it is as long as it's self aware, funny and fun.

plenty of colour, tits and damage soaking badassery will make this game a winner for me

I want a real review of Duke

So you liked the Wolfenstein review the most? Well we are at some kind of odds I suppose.

As for the game I really hope it will be over the top and deliberately un-PC just like the tone of the originals. Otherwise, yes we'll get another bland shooter.

More classic Doom! More Serious Sam! More Painkiller!

i never knew about Duke Nukem Forever until I got into Megadeth (i found out they did the theme) about 3 years ago, but then i just considered it a game that would never come out.

Since I've never actually been "missing" Duke Nukem (since I was too young to remember him), I can't honestly share the feelings everyone else has been feeling because I've not even played Duke Nukem 3D.

Well, I'm glad you're approaching this with a clean slate- that's the only way I can really imagine anyone enjoying this, save some crazed fanboys. Still, your crazed fanboys probably aren't going to like that...
Still, no matter what they do to it, I suspect it will be a bit anticlimactic, and they're going to go with current gameplay "conventions" rather than what the game was all about in the 90's. Because people seem to misconstrude Duke Nukem being about Duke as a character, rather than the over-the-top gameplay.
Also, no one seems to realize that Duke isn't necessarily so misogynistic. Yeah, he'll accept the attention of classless, promiscuous young females, but he's also a big fan/friend of Oprah Winfrey. He's gotta be doing something right.

Wait Duke Nukem is a dinosaur?

That's so cool!

Worgen:
Im hoping its good since I really did enjoy the original duke 3d but Im fully expecting it to be bad... well maybe not bad but just have a shitty pc release since 2k games has lately fucked something up with every pc game its put out

What was fucked up about 2k's release of Oblivion? I thought the PC version was the best, myself. Well, expect for the one bonus that the PS3 version had. Bows don't lose durability just by firing an arrow. And even then, there's a mod for that.

Apparently one of the reasons it was delayed is that Broussard wanted to keep adding more and more things, which makes me think the game will have so much stuff you won't have a chance in hell of enjoying it. Every few minutes you'll be whisked off to another landscape with new weapons. I don't think Gearbox has had nearly enough time to correct for the mistakes 3D Realms made.

*sadface*

Also, Yahtzee, I do believe you mean "wavefunction collapse". I'm just saying.

Now we can stop the "Will it/wont it" argument and I'll give this game chance. It's gonna be a break from all the Brown and Grey "Look at us we're being realistic" shooting games currently on the market.

WOW! OPTIMISM FROM Yahtzee! Will wonders never cease. I have to say, I do miss the "I'm a HARD-ASS and you're all DEAD!" run-in's from the old days...the last game I remember having that kind of sensibility that I played was Haze, I know it was panned and killed off Free Radical Games, and the first time I played it I hated it.

But I went back, and was able to appreciate the satire, blunt and hardly intelligent satire, but there nonetheless of the arrogant "Mantel" soldiers, with their "HOO-RAAAAAAAAAAH!"'s and talk about the cannibal enemies. The ability to take anyone to school and the slightly disturbing moments when the invisible dead bodies intrude.

But what was really fun was, that while not an easy game, it never forced you to stop. You could go through shooting, no cover, no dodge, and if you were quick and shooty enough you "Kicked ass and chewed Bubblegum!".

I too look forward to a lower emphasis on "realistic" brown and grey shooters with broody leads and sadistic tendencies. I mean who doesn't prefer Vice City's garish campness to GTA IV's brown and grey (though beautiful and incredibly well realised and playable) scenery. I know which one I had more fun playing anyway. Bring back the less realistic! HUZZAH FOR NOT TAKING YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!

Hmm...You bring up a good point Yahtzee. It may not be worth 12 years but Tits on my face is always appritiated.

But whatever, I can't say I'm excited for DNF, or ever was. I only really started playing games or at least emersing myself in the culture during the last console generation, so my first knowledge of DNF was that trailer a couple of years back with no gameplay and god awful graphics that I can't say it got my skipping joyfully on the now rusted hype train. And since it's now been handed to the creators of the wildly over appritiated Borderlands (a game which said it's ok to be a unoriginal brown lack luster unbalanced shooter as long as your have 4 player co-op and loot) I can't say I care now.

Maybe I'd be more excited if I was desperatly in need of a stupid mocho over the top balls to the wall shooter, but seeing as we've got Bulletstorm on the horizon I think I'll have had my fill by the time the Duke returns.

Bulletstorm looks interesting. It's being made by People Can Fly... but also being published by Epic. I wonder if it will be as fun and frustrating as Painkiller. Also, I wonder if Yahtzee played Painkiller: Resurrection and if he thinks that it's any good. I have it on Steam, but I dont want to install it until I beat the first game and it's expansion.

Duke Nukem is like when you've eaten hamburgers for 2 months, then go home and have to eat homecooked meals for another 2 months. By the time those last 2 months are over, you'll be rooting for another juicy burger.

Can't see it as the next Serious Sam though. Actually, can't see it as anything. At least it'll be fun, in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

From all the wildly varying promotional shots that've surfaced over the last thirteen years, showing duke nukem following in step with all the various "popular themes" of the time, I've got this sneaking suspicion that DNF will have regenerating health and cover systems... and the only reason gearbox got greenlit to finish it was because it had those things.

You said titts!

Titts on face is good!

Certain body parts inbetween titts is also good!

Jack and Calumon:
Wipe the slate clean? Yahtzee, are you taking away all expectation of this game besides it should be a return to fun or else? Well... I only wish that other people will follow suit.

Oh and thank you for clairfying that you WILL review Duke Nukem Forever compared to the idiots who THINK they know you and say "no he wont review it becuz he fookin hates evryfing evar and thinks no different of..."

You get the point. They don't know you, only you (And your friends and family) know you.

Serious reply? In MY Escapist?!

Its more likely than you think.

OT: I still think this is another trolling attempt; until a copy of the game lands on my doormat-not that I would play it anyway- I won't accept this pile of delays, changes and waste of money has finally pulled together enough to be charitably called a "game."

I played the first one extensively, and if they put "secret doors" and the "jetpack" and actually make it as much fun as it was (to kick a pig in the face and see it burst in bloody gore was great) maybe it will work out

as i stated before, i will play the demo and if its fun to play i will buy it

but i seriously doubt it will be anything other than "average"

And so many games have it now it's like having to hear the same lecture delivered by a new professor every bloody week.

You mean just like you have to directly insult Nintendo and motion controls every week like an elitist? ::ba-dum tish:: (C'mon he set me up with that)

More to the point: yes, I would love for more FPSs to take the Painkiller or Team Fortress 2 approach to their gameplay and design and less to take the Halo or in this case: Kane & Lynch approach. Maybe then I'll stop dissing the genre and the people who follow it so much. (Bullet Storm seems to be the only upcoming FPS I can think of that sets a good example of what a modern day FPS should be like IMO)

Well, you can either be grim about that game, or cheer up from the fact that you DID tell them what you thought would make the game good, or at least decent, and only hope that they have listened :)

I will probably buy this game. I want a silly shooter. One of the last shooters I actually really enjoyed was Painkiller (I bought it half a year ago), but even there it got a bit too brown (even if the design otherwise was great).

What we need from this game is cathartic violence, and if my wishes could be true, a jet-pack. Jet-packs are cool.

Oh Yahtzee, you say that you're looking forward to this game (I think...), but we all see that you're loading your shit cannon right behind you while you say it.

Don't get me wrong Yahtzee, I do welcome a change of pace from the brooding antiheroes of today. My question is though does that really make the macho meat head self assured heroes of yesterday appealing? I mean really you could say that this is all still the evolution of the same damned ideas. Macho guys runnin' around shooting stuff real good. In other words The Expendables. In other words trash.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here mind you. I'm mildly-to-moderately excited for the return of Duke. It is simple dumb fun. But in terms of theme, is it me or is every hero in every mainstream contemporary video game lately some analogue or another of Schwarzenegger in his Conan days? Are people that into this archetype that no one can make time for dare I say another James Sunderland, or what?

Sounds to me like someone's excited. :D

Stabby Joe:

More classic Doom! More Serious Sam! More Painkiller!

yes! If duke can pull off the same fun as the original dooms + comedy, it will win game of the year hands down.

Tits!

It would be interesting to see a modern shooter where the protagonist is a swift bullet-sponge with a shell of Kevlar and balls of steel. Or, should I say, it will be interesting.

Alright Gearbox. You had damn well better make sure this game finally comes out because I want to see the review it gets.

Yeah that's right, I care more about the ZP episode the game will get than the actual game.

I'm pretty sure even DNF understood that video. I am also getting sick of the same ol' same ol' "gritty" plots and cover-based shooting. We do need to have at least SOME series that are pure run and gun.

Through all the hype it has had...I wonder, will it be able to live up to any of it...

Half-Life killed 'fun FPS' because after THAT intro, everything had to have a serious story. The genre needs to de-evolve into being mindless again. DNF won't be the game to end all games but maybe it will tell designers what a FPS is suppose to be all about.

More hordes of enemies, more OTT weaponry and less caring.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here