Review: Halo: Reach

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Bungie's farewell Halo title is also arguably its finest.

Read Full Article

I give it a 7/10.

I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.

When compared to the EPICNESS of Halo 3 (and 1 & 2) in terms of story line and battles Reach falls far short. You drive PAST scarabs in the last level, rather then engaging them. You DON'T take on hordes of enemies, the enemies themselves seemed smaller, less fearsome and more boring then in Halo 3.

On the upside the mission where you fly Sabers was fantastic. The mission where you spend 45 minutes island hopping (for lack of a better term) in a Falcon was not. It was dead boring, my co-op partner and I couldn't wait to finish it.

Also there was no Scorpion (tank) mission. What's up with that? I'm fairly sure I am not alone in looking forward to Halo tank missions; they played a big part in 1,2,3 and ODST and were a major fun factor.

I also found Firefight less entertaining then in ODST. They have made one major improvement: unlimited ammo on the maps. Having once done 3 hours on one firefight session in ODST however it was not as engaging in terms of switching skulls on and off and the variety of enemies. There is however the option to toggle the settings on firefight, which is a plus, and admittedly i haven't spent much time getting to know these.

I recommend it as a multiplayer game for online play and firefight. The campaign however is... more then a little disappointing.

PS Jetpacks = fun multiplayer. Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

Isn't that maybe a little harsh?

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

I agree. Every game should have a jetpack in it.

Also, good review. Now if only UPS would get its act together I may be able to find out what all the fuss is about.

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

Not harsh at all. To actually pay full price for something that's already been done "and better I might add" is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I love Bungie. Have many fond memories of the Marathon trilogy, Pathways Into Darkness, Myth, but that was a long time ago. Somewhere along the way Bungie lost what it meant to be an independent innovator. To celebrate that in anyway only shows what's wrong with the industry. So to the Halo series good riddance. Now maybe Bungie can get their act together.

*edit*

Bring on the hate.

Playing it now, and do love it...

Death from above ftw!

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

It's a Halo thread. The game is a lightning rod for trolls.

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

What can you do? Irrational hatred is irrational.

I was fairly 'ehhhh' about Reach for a long time. I really enjoyed the Halo series, but it certainly wasn't a 'favourite' of mine. However, I've been watching and reading multiple reviews, and finally allowing myself to view some game-play videos and trailers and I'm pretty impressed. My Amazon copy will be arriving either today or tomorrow, and I'm quite happy (and not over-hyped) to don the armor of the Spartan once again.

Looks like a great, fitting conclusion to a fun, enjoyable series.

I'm still on the campaign and I'd have to say that it is miles ahead of ODST in the fun dept. (ODST being the only other Halo game I've played). I'm loving every minute of it and I think it has definitely encouraged me to play the rest of them.

BloodSquirrel:

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed Halo.

I wrote a one sentence statement to get in for first place, then immediately set about backing up my opinion. I am a fan of Halo; otherwise i wouldn't have finished the campaign the day it came out.

The fact is i don't understand all these great scores it's getting; because as a gamer who grew up on Halo i can't help but be disappointed in this game.

Now all i have to do is wait to be bashed for not liking it and disagreeing with people.

BloodSquirrel:

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

So they're stupid because they don't agree with you? Nice.

He wasn't trolling anyway - he just gave a score. To him 5/10 might mean average, thereby perfectly describing Halo which is fair enough if that's what he thinks.

All I wanna do is Campaign and Firefight. Tons and tons of Firefight. And I'll end up helping out tons of friends on Legendary runs, before moving onto the dreaded Solo Legendary run...

I'll go Solo on Normal/Heroic first, then jump online.

Lim3:
I give it a 7/10.

I finished the campaign today; the story was not engaging, the characters boring and the action and battles don't live up to their predecessors. Also there were plot holes; lots of plot holes, which i'm pretty sure there will be attempts to cover up.

When compared to the EPICNESS of Halo 3 (and 1 & 2) in terms of story line and battles Reach falls far short. You drive PAST scarabs in the last level, rather then engaging them. You DON'T take on hordes of enemies, the enemies themselves seemed smaller, less fearsome and more boring then in Halo 3.

On the upside the mission where you fly Sabers was fantastic. The mission where you spend 45 minutes island hopping (for lack of a better term) in a Falcon was not. It was dead boring, my co-op partner and I couldn't wait to finish it.

Also there was no Scorpion (tank) mission. What's up with that? I'm fairly sure I am not alone in looking forward to Halo tank missions; they played a big part in 1,2,3 and ODST and were a major fun factor.

I also found Firefight less entertaining then in ODST. They have made one major improvement: unlimited ammo on the maps. Having once done 3 hours on one firefight session in ODST however it was not as engaging in terms of switching skulls on and off and the variety of enemies. There is however the option to toggle the settings on firefight, which is a plus, and admittedly i haven't spent much time getting to know these.

I recommend it as a multiplayer game for online play and firefight. The campaign however is... more then a little disappointing.

PS Jetpacks = fun multiplayer. Oh and they haven't fixed the problem of simultaneous beat downs, if MW2 doesn't have simultaneous stab problems (that i have noticed anyway) why should Halo?

...there was a scorpion tank mission. Did you miss that entirely in the return to Sword Base?

To each their own. I found it WAY better than 2 and 3. I *liked* the subdued feel of things; it made it feel more personal. You have better things to do than engage the Scarabs in that one level - it's like how you don't fight any of the Covenant while you're running away in the warthog in the finales of Halo 1/3.

I have to say, this game looks like fun. I never was a huge fan of Halo, but 1 and 3 were entertaining enough for a while. They weren't that deep for me, but they certainly were entertaining. If this game ups that level of fun, I might have to buy it.

I don't want to start a war or a discussion, really.. but it just looks so *unappealing* to me..

Each to his own, mine is somewhere over there.

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

How is it harsh? 3/10 would mean it's bad. 5/10 means that the game is average. 7/10 or 8/10 would mean the game is great. 10/10 implies perfection. If he finds the game to be that amount of fun, shouldn't he be allowed to think so?

The Spartans soldiers are now a comic gold. Halo Legends only sought to solidify that. Having played the game its about 6 or 7 out of 10 for me too :(

ahh well.

Nice review, I could feel the epic wind of Reach blowing. I just cannot wait to coop through the campaign.

As a side note, how is the music? I always enjoyed the Halo theme and how it fits perfectly with the action.

Chamzaboogie:
Nice review, I could feel the epic wind of Reach blowing. I just cannot wait to coop through the campaign.

As a side note, how is the music? I always enjoyed the Halo theme and how it fits perfectly with the action.

It was one of the things that I didn't like, actually. Not to say that it was bad by any stretch of the matter - Marty O'donnell is a great composer - but that it just didn't have a really memorable track for me until the very end.

BrunDeign:
If Halo is such a multiplayer centric franchise, why is there no multiplayer review? Are they going to release one?

Yes. Traditionally, our reviews for all games focus on the singleplayer, since different players will have wholly different experiences online, but we'll have a multiplayer segment coming sometime soon from EIC Russ Pitts :)

If Halo is such a multiplayer centric franchise, why is there no multiplayer review? Are they going to release one?

well this is a thread I will leave before the trolls and such flock here in the dozens lol
na it should be safe ish
I like all halo games and i know this wont be an exception
I highly doubt the game is worth anything less then a 9 (if scores are important for you)
as the sheer amount of good balancing good improvements and new content makes it clearly not worth a 8 (game radar gave the game a 8 but then again they gave start craft 2 ten so me listening to their reviews have stopped )

John Funk:

Bungie's farewell Halo title is also arguably its finest.

Read Full Article

I saw you playing this and thought about sending you a message saying something along the line of i look forward to the review, but a thought occured to me, what if this is an important part thats going into the review. So is it a good idea to send you a message when your playing a game i know your going to be reviewed.

Lim3:

While the first three installments of Halo were undoubtedly fairly epic, think about it--were the characters in them really that engaging? The only one who got more than 5 minutes of screentime at a time was Master Chief, and he's the proverbial blank slate--no personality whatsoever. Furthermore, if you look into the games and the canon behind Halos 1, 2, and 3, you will find that there are several major plot holes which Bungie has attempted to fix with (and I kid you not here) time travel.

As for the Scarab issue you mentioned, the simple fact of the matter is that the soldiers of Noble Team are NOT Master Chief--they cannot take down a Scarab single-handedly. If they could, all of the attempts at making the characters seem like just another group of humans caught up in events they are not able to control would have gone right out the window.

And as one Halo fan to another, let's face it: the storyline in Halo has always sucked. What Bungie really tried to focus on in this final installment was the atmosphere of soldiers fighting a battle they are doomed to lose. If you go into it with the right mindset, it can be a very powerful and moving game--FAR more so than Halo 3, whose campaign was all of 6 hours long and basically consisted of "everybody wants everybody else dead, and oh look, there's the Flood again."

P.S.--The reason that Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have multiple stab issues is because when two people stab each other at roughly the same time, the system automatically picks one player at random to get the kill. Since it usually takes multiple melees in Reach to kill an opponent, they decided to allow simultaneous melee hits.

A good halo game, what a shocker! when Yahtzee inevitably decide to review Halo I will skip that review. Some people game the games have bad stories and cookie-cutter characters, but here's a question, what FPS doesn't have at least one of those flaws? I'm still buying the game and I will still enjoy the game regardless of what anyone else thinks.

A perfect score from the Escapist for Halo? I guess this means you're being paid off by Micro$oft, right? Because, as we all know, a popular, hyped franchise can't really be any good.

Seriously though, good, in depth review, and hopefully I'll agree with it when my fucking copy gets here. Seriously, it's been out for delivery since half 8 this morning, and it's now almost 4. Christ.

I have it waiting in my mailbox for me when I get home from work.

I haven't played a halo game since the first game (which I thoroughly enjoyed while I wasn't playing KoTOR), however, I am very much looking forward to this incarnation. I wasn't so much interested in Halo 2-ODST (though I have recently been recommended ODST), because they felt overly grandiose (not to mention the 5 hour campaign in 2 that my friend raged about).

I am interested to see how this game satisfies my Sci-Fi shooter urges, because I am growing pretty tired of the contemporary shooters - I don't find that contemporary shooters to offer the escapism that historic/sci-fi ones can do (except TF2 <3). On a side note it'll be interesting to see what Activision/Bungie spawns...

mmmmm... i wouldnt buy it (because im buying Dead Rising 2!)
but id sure play it, and see if it can make me think shooters can be fun (the last fun shooter that i played was Unreal Tournament... Halo has a LOOOOONG way to go before beating that)

Ahhhhh Tuesday Tuesday, game release day!!! Seriously check every game release day!! It's on a Tuesday ^-^

BloodSquirrel:

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.

Eh, I have no problem with cookie-cutter characters or story, as long as both are well-implemented. Just rented the game and am about to dive in... against heavy odds I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that us German players aren't going to get stuck with nothing but the horrible dub.

Damn, too bad the video supplement didn't included Multiplayer, I guess the servers weren't online then?

Either way, I hope Epic Studios will be very kind to give you Gears of War 3 in advance since you are so close friends/neighbors. I am totally waiting for that game to come out.

I have to give this game a rental.

I like the Halo games. Dont get me wrong im not a huge poster on the forums here, but alot of what i have posted on here is my thoughts on Halo, not all together positive... Anyway i have always liked the single player campaigns, the multiplayer can suck a fat one (piece of trash). I like the single player because of the the feel of the environments your run around in and epic music as you do.

Im not gonna dump on Reach as i have not played it, ill wait for it to get traded in and then play through the co-op. But what i will say, Halo ever since 2 has lost its shine, its zip, its in the immortal words of Dethklok, its Zazz. Halo 3 was just boring and contrived, and dont get me started on the Gravemind and Guilty Spark. (If you know Irish politics he reminds of Ian Paisley who is a giant fucktard and Guilty Spark is more annoying than Jar Jar Binks.)

Screw this im done, Halo as a series was decent, 1 Was great, 2 was better imo, 3 was trash, ODST was good, i liked not playing as Master Chief for once being a squishy mortal gave more of a reason to be calm and considerate when playing on solo-legendary, lack of stealth sort of undermined the reason for silenced weapons...

Ill be saving my money for better and more original games. Some one trade in Reach quickly in Belfast for me peeps so i can test this pap :D

JIst00:

BloodSquirrel:

Seaf The Troll:

Jezzascmezza:

Lim3:
I give it a 5/10

that maybe a lot harsh?

I'm pretty sure that you could increase that average IQ for any gaming forum by 50 points by just insta-banning anybody who bashed likes Halo.

Fixed that for you. =P

In all seriousness, I have no doubt it's a good game, I'm just still bitter that they moved the first Halo from the PC to the Xbox originally. I was so pissed off at the time, I was really looking forward to it, then they did the unthinkable, they put an FPS on a console. Mouse and Keyboard ladies and gentlemen, the best only was to play an FPS.

Technically they moved it from the Mac to the Xbox. PC was an added bonus. Just so everyone knows it was originally supposed to be Mac exclusive to show what you could do with its graphics. Buuuut microsoft bought them over. And the guy in charge of Bungie actually ended up leaving the company, but hey lets stay positive.

Okay then Funk, serious question.

Is it good enough to justify going and getting a new slimjim 360?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here