Escape to the Movies: Dungeons & Dragons

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Dungeons & Dragons

This week MovieBob rolls for initiative and looks at a few D&D films! HAZAAAH!

Watch Video

mazes and mosters was gone by spoony not a month ago. i'd recomend, but it is a truely god aweful movie though

I thought Chronicles of Riddick was an awesome film.

And Benders Game was epic!

I haven't seen the new D&D film but yeah the old one was plain bad...

And I hate the idea of a WoW film.

The only true D&D movies are "The Gamers" and "The Gamers II: Dorkness Rising". Every fan knows that.

Anyway: what does D&D have to do with Maths? No idea of 4th ed changed that (I doubt it) but it's not really anything more than first grade addition and subtraction.

GamesB2:
I thought chronicles of riddick was an awesome film.

As did I. Didn't know a sequel was in the works though.

Anyway, good review Bob. And I agree, it's about time we see a proper hollywood-made D&D movie.

Aww was hoping for your take on The Town

I was expecting a review of Easy A, but anyway yeah I'm with ya Bob with the whole math thing. As much as I like RPGs that's the big thing keeping out of tabletop gaming save for Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Eldan:
The only true D&D movies are "The Gamers" and "The Gamers II: Dorkness Rising". Every fan knows that.

I am really, really surprised that Bob didn't even mention either of those films. Because they're awesome.

Hell, I reviewed the second one. In these very forums, no less.

Bob: The second one is a great movie...if you have the commentary on. Seriously.

"Stick a torch in it's eye!"
"I don't think it's gonna work Krusk"
"How about an axe?"
"It's a dragon, you might need more than that."
"Two axes? Three?"

"Ah horses, first you ride them, then you eat them. Just like barbarian women."

And the Gamers movies also are awesome as well.

Happy birthday bob! Liked the episode, I enjoy specials.

Very good retrospective Sir Bob. I expect more from you.

Eldan:

Anyway: what does D&D have to do with Maths? No idea of 4th ed changed that (I doubt it) but it's not really anything more than first grade addition and subtraction.

Nope if you can add up 3d6 (say 3+2+5) then you can play DnD in 4th edition(and 3rd). I'm sure it would be a great way to teach basic math skills to kids.
"You have 50 hp, the monster hits you for 10 damage, how much do you have left?"

Sorry if this sounds condensending, it wasn't ment to, i was serious about a fun way to apply addition and subtraction.

MovieBob:

This week MovieBob rolls for initiative and looks at a few D&D films! HAZAAAH!

Uhm Bob, have you seen this?

Mazes and Monsters actually got me into roleplaying because we tried to decipher all the spells.
So, what does Sonar do?

Apart from the awesome youtube The Gamers series(not to be confused with a feature film by the same name that was crap), there is a really good adaptation of Dungeons and Dragons, in the form of anime. It's called Slayers. Now, it may not call itself an adaptation of dungeons and dragons, but it's about as D&D inspired you can get without it taking place in Forgotten realms.

Not good with numbers?
I forgive you Bob

qbanknight:

Me to, but this was pretty good.

There re many tabletop RPG alternatives out there, many of which requires the most basic of mathematical capabilities. If you can count up to 10 or 20, then you can do it.

I, too, was ashamed of the DnD movie. Then I watched the DVD. Seriously! Yeah, the effects suck, but I've always been able to get around that. Rent the DVD and watch the deleted scenes (with even worse effects). There is about a half-hour of deleted material that was "taken out for pacing)." If it had not been, it would have been a 120-minute flick, but it would have been good.

And again i get kicked in the face for not being able to play DnD, it just saddens how i can't and probably won't play Dungeons and Dragons ever.

I knew that a retrospective on D&D could not skip over the abomination that was Mazes and monsters. Good review as always though.

Any watch Dexter's Laboratory? Great piss take in one age old episode yet is played by a non-serious girl.

Sadly, almost everytime there is an attempt at doing a officially licenced D&D movie, they give it to the wrong damned people and it turns atrocious. I seriously think they need to pick a campaign setting, grab a storyline, and hire a good director and effects house.

For instance (in my fervent dreams), if they decide to make the early Drizz't books into a trilogy of films, directed by Peter Jackson (or along the same vein, with the imagination and willpower to do a big-budget fantasy trilogy) and using the technology that allowed Cameron's Avatar to have regular actors in little make-up still look like anthropomorphic cat people.

Or howabout a (non-animated piece of shit) Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy? Hire a decent cast of knowns and unknowns to play the roles, DON'T TINKER WITH THE SCRIPT, and again hire out to Cameron's effects house to use their CG tech.

Just don't put a fucking Waynes Brother in my D&D movie. Seriously, why the fuck did they do that?

Wait, vin diesel likes D&D?

I'm not sure what to say, my mind has imploded.

Eldan:

Agreed. I patiently wait for a KoDT movie. If Jolly is reading this, get to work!

Bender's Game; the best Futurama movie? Are you high?

Bender's Game was awful. I aside from a couple of decent jokes near the beginning it's an apsolute shambles. The premise was pretty interesting (i.e. What if Futurama was a parody of classic fantasy rather than classic sci-fi?) but in the end the whole thing ended up being lame Lord of the Rings parody.

If you want to buy decent Futurama movie The Beast with a Billion Backs and The Wild Green Yonder are the best bets (but honestly they don't really compare to the episodes, Futurama is just not designed for the movie format) but seriously, not Bender's Game.

qbanknight:

Yeah, count me in as well as for wanting to hear your view on that movie as well, or atleast the very least, a brutal mocking of "Devil".

Surprised no one mentioned the terrible animated direct to DVD Dragonlance movie from a few years back.

I never understood the whole D&D is hard because of math thing. Its just adding and subtracting, no one is asking you to do Calculus.

I actually have Wrath of the Dragon God on DVD its cheesy but its not that bad...
Never saw the first one after I was warned off of it by almost everyone I know.
The DnD references in the IT Crowd were actualy really embarassing because it made the game seem stupid, I watched the entire series with my family but didn't want too watch that episode because I DM a group and didn't want people throwing references at me to take the piss out of me.

What makes you think the Warcraft movie will be a "proper" movie?

Three FANTASTIC D&D movies came out back from 2001-2003. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The novels inspired about 90% of the flavor in D&D sourcebooks, and therefore could be considered D&D movies. You have the basic classes and everything at various points, though it's a bit low on magic.

Well they could make a live action Dragonlance movie, but it would probably be just as bad as the animated version.

Also, why was Takhisis fighting those kids and not immediately obliterating them?

the version of the dungeons & dragons movie from 2000 was actually pretty good. guess they "fixed" it.

All things considered, WoW is pretty much a straight port of DnD

I actually enjoyed Wrath of the Dragon God. Then again, I don't play DnD.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here