Escape to the Movies: Dungeons & Dragons

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

awsome review :D

Jenx:
See, the main problem with the D&D movies (aside from shitty effects, shitty acting and shitty story of course) is the fact that you can't really make a movie adaptation of D&D...because there's nothing to adapt. Dungeons and Dragons is a system. It's a series of rules that are used when playing a game.
There is no way to actually express this unless you for an Order of the Stick style self-reference, where the entire world knows it's governed by such rules. Either that or you have to set the movie in a setting that is easily recognizable. Like, say...Planescape! Oh man, a movie set in the Planescape setting would be fuckin' awesome. Just seeing Sigil done with modern day technologies and the Lady Of Pain flaying people's skins with her shadow and so on would be great. AND it'll never happen.

Now, movies like The Gamers (both of which were good, although the second one was MILES better), that's something that obviously works. Don't make a movie set IN the game, make a movie about people playing the game. Thing is, in this case you need to actually have the movie be made by people who are players themselves, otherwise it'll end up like the hilarious RPing sequences in Mazes and Monsters. (Come to think of it, for a movie about RPGs there was WAY not enough actual gaming shown.)

Dunno... the Lady wouldn't have a place in most movies. There would be a lot of context to establish, unless the movie is at least partially about her (say, a Harbinger House or Faction War movie). And that would be easy to screw up.

Well, the Lady is more or less part of the background (as she should be) so in a movie she'll just be shown here and there. But yeah, something about the Faction War would be interesting, and even then it'll mean TONS of explaining as to who the hell are these people (and other creatures) and why they are fighting.

This brings me to the last, most important point I actually forgot to make in my post - A D&D movie or, hell, a movie about any RPG, just won't work. If it's made specifically for people who'll understand it, it'll mean that it'll have a fairly small budget because nobody will shell out the big bucks for a niche geek movie. If it isn't a niche geek movie and tries to get a broader audience. Well, they already tried that and it sucked. (TWICE!)

Battleship... Good lord how can you make a movie out of that?!

* I agree with the suggestion that a treatment of D&D would do best as a TV series. People have mentioned "Record of Lodoss War" (which is the D&D-est thing I've ever seen) and other TV shows that do the D&D thing pretty well. I haven't seen "Legend of the Seeker," but it sounds like it's along those lines, too. Back when I was a kid, there was a very D&D-esque show called "Wizards and Warriors".

But, as has been pointed out, there are already movies of things that inspired D&D, like "The Lord of the Rings" and "Conan the Barbarian" (with a new, non-Schwartzenegger version supposedly coming out next year). If the WoW movie ever gets made, well, that's based on Warhammer Fantasy, which in turn was inspired by D&D. What I'd like to see is a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser movie... Another influence on D&D, and one that reflects its tradition of treasure-seeking and skullduggery.

If someone were to make an honest-to-goodness, get-across-the-feel-of-the-source-material D&D movie, I think their best bet would be to make a Forgotten Realms movie (though an Eberron movie would look pretty awesome, and a Planescape movie would be fantastic), since that's been consistently the most popular published D&D setting for decades. A setting is not a story, but one could do worse than to adapt an R.A. Salvatore novel set in the Realms.

* If you're in a place where you can't obtain D&D, there are a ton of D&D clones available for free online, using the same rules-sets that older editions of D&D used, but with the serial numbers filed off. These retro-clones play like the original editions. If you really want to play some D&D, you could do worse than to go back to its roots with these. There's Basic Fantasy and Labyrinth Lord, which emulate the old Basic and Expert D&D sets; there's OSRIC, which emulates 1st Edition D&D; and I'm guessing there are probably retro-clones out there that do 2nd Edition, too... Do a Google search or surf DriveThruRPG.

* MovieBob, I'm terrible at math. I have to mentally count on my fingers (well, actually, I count imaginary dots on a die or a domino) in order to do simple math. And I've been running D&D games for over 20 years. It's not really that difficult; it just takes a little getting used to. WotC (who publishes D&D) just came out with D&D Essentials, a.k.a. The [New] Red Box, which is specifically meant to be an easy entry point for 4th Edition D&D. And if D&D is too math-heavy for your tastes (again, something I can sympathize with), there are countless other tabletop roleplaying games you could get into that use simpler systems, systems based on playing cards instead of dice, diceless games, etc. Drop into RPGnet and ask, and you'll get about a thousand suggestions to suit your tastes.

Dude The Icewind Dale & The Dark Elf trilogies would make rad movies. Suprised nobody has even attempted to do so.

I thought the review would be about the Town. Ah well, good vid all the same.

I haven't seen Bender's Game yet, and it's the only Futurama movie I haven't seen yet! Damn, though, I want to see it, I heard it's so good!

Also, Don Bluth and Tyler Perry has the same birthday as the game Super Mario Bros.? That's almost as amazing as my birthday being the same as Shigeru Miyamoto!

Draconalis:

Naheal:

BTW Bob, if you want to get into D&D, now's the time to do it. The majority of the irritating math that was in 2nd ed has been stripped away as of now. You could probably get into it really well should you find a good group.

Yeah... all that irritating Addition and Subtraction...

<--- 2nd edition supporter, will never move on.

I hate the d20 system, it's an insult to my intelligence.

To be fair, though, the THAC0 and AC systems in 2nd ed were fairly confusing to new players.

I'm still a GURPS supporter, myself, and find that D&D lacks the flair of a good GURPS story.

AWESOME!

Spining D20. Even more awesome.

The two D&D live actions before the tom hanks one looked actually kind of awesome. Cheesy, but awesome.

Bob, I think you'd have fun with 4E and a SKype game. It couldn't be that hard. I'd DM for ya!

I don't like games with numbers either, it's part of the reason I can't get into Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Also I would get my head kicked in by wandering super-mutants but still...

Also Bender's Game is the only Futurama Movie I own. I'll probably get the others just for having them all, but I still like it better.

dfphetteplace:

Flying-Emu:

dfphetteplace:
A movie could be done about the Drizzt Saga, but so help any one who tries and fails. If done wrong, they would be slain.

Absolutely NOT. The Drizzt saga is horrible: Drizzt has got to be one of the worst written characters in R.A. Salvatore's collection.

Blasphemy.

You know, the Catholic Church called Copernicus a blasphemer for claiming the earth was round. Did that make him any less right?

Naheal:

To be fair, though, the THAC0 and AC systems in 2nd ed were fairly confusing to new players.

Your thac0 is 19, their AC is 3

19 - 3 = 16

How is this hard?

The only way it gets kinda complicated is if you keep your bonuses separate, but that's you for not keeping things organized. "My thac0 after all my bonuses is a 15" You don't need to calculate your bonuses every time.

I would love to see a good D&D movie; perhaps picking one of "worlds" that TSR/Wizards of the Coast have created would work. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Ebberon, would probably be the best ones.
Found out from my mom that many of the "Christian" people she used to work with warned her that D&D was making me a worshiper of satan.
Yeah, the thing is, D&D taught me that actions have consequences, how to work with others, and most importantly, how to actually USE my imagination. All the same things that those people seem to have trouble with now.

Great review. Maybe just make a movie based on the cartoon?

Draconalis:

Naheal:

Your thac0 is 19, their AC is 3

19 - 3 = 16

How is this hard?

The only way it gets kinda complicated is if you keep your bonuses separate, but that's you for not keeping things organized. "My thac0 after all my bonuses is a 15" You don't need to calculate your bonuses every time.

I have only read the AD&D material, but not played it. I assume the reason comes from things like +X weapons, armour and other such items: is a +2 bonus to AC a good thing or not? +2 to AC, without "bonus" mentioned? What if it just says +2 to Thac0? The terminology got a little confusing sometimes, especially when it was not always consistent.

Actually, nuts to the Faction Wars, I can't believe I didn't think of this in the first place. Want an awesome D&D movie (And even more importantly - a Planescape movie)? Someone go make a movie out of Planescape: Torment!

I never got into Dungeons and Dragons because believe it or not, I hadn't heard about it. Even now that I have, I don't know anyone who plays that kind of games - and not for the lack of people nerdy enough. I guess it just might not have had the same nerdy success in Norway that other stuff like Star Trek did.

WaderiAAA:
I never got into Dungeons and Dragons because believe it or not, I hadn't heard about it.

From what I've heard, Northern Europe's fantasy RPG of choice is actually Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, not D&D. Which is awesome.

The only GREAT D&D movie I've ever watched was "Gamers". At least i think it was called that.
Anyways, even though it wasn't a big screen movie, it had great D&D jokes, and was overall awesome to watch. The second part was cool, too, but i prefer the 1st one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369445/
here's the link for the first movie.
And seriously, it is an awesome movie. If you like D&D, you should watch it. This is the best out there.

Jenx:
Actually, nuts to the Faction Wars, I can't believe I didn't think of this in the first place. Want an awesome D&D movie (And even more importantly - a Planescape movie)? Someone go make a movie out of Planescape: Torment!

I'm not convinced Torment would work as a movie. They would have to cut massive parts to even make it three hours long, and it has a lot of dialogue which could end up making the movie, well, wordy. And despite me liking movies of people talking to each other, it might get boring.
It's not a movie story. It's a novel story, and a game story.

Eldan:

Jenx:

I'm not convinced Torment would work as a movie. They would have to cut massive parts to even make it three hours long, and it has a lot of dialogue which could end up making the movie, well, wordy. And despite me liking movies of people talking to each other, it might get boring.
It's not a movie story. It's a novel story, and a game story.

Well then don't make it just one movie.

*Sad face* :(

Tbh Movie Bob. I'm just now...in my teenage years, finally THINKING about playing D&D.

Who knows maybe I'll be like you and be the little urchin outside the window. :(

The cartoon was alright. I have the box set.

Worst part about it, it doesn't actually end. I want closure.

Wrath of the Dragon God was excellent for a Syfy movie, and pretty good for a normal movie. I would definitely put it high above all the other DnD crap mentioned on that review/retrospective (except maybe Bender's Game, which was awesome).

D&D movies... still waiting for a good one :O
also, happy Birthday Mario :D

First off, all Riddick is awesome. So go swivel.

Secondly, I agree that there needs to be a new movie, but right now it would probably end up as a 'gritty' reboot, ie. just plain wrong.

I enjoyed the sequel though - Wrath of the Dragon God. They did a lot with a low budget, everyone took it seriously, and it stayed pretty true to much of the material. It's a really good film to watch with a few mates while drinking. Like Dungeon Siege.

These Keep getting better and better

The world of Warcraft movie is overseen by Blizzard and therefore it is almost certainly subject to their incredibly quality effective yet incredibly time inefficient design philosophy. In other words you are probably going to see a good World of Warcraft movie though when it is very good and only when it is very good. So hey, someone could make a decent DnD movie before then. I doubt anyone will but with the almost inevitable delays for the Wow movie its entirely possible.

MovieBob:
Dungeons & Dragons

This week MovieBob rolls for initiative and looks at a few D&D films! HAZAAAH!

Watch Video

They should make a movie based around the Tomb of Horrors module. I'd go see that in a heartbeat! It'd be like Saw meets Lord of the Rings.

The_root_of_all_evil:

MovieBob:

Uhm Bob, have you seen this?

Mazes and Monsters actually got me into roleplaying because we tried to decipher all the spells.
So, what does Sonar do?

We can't see the video in our country. At least that's what the video player said when I pressed play.

flaming_squirrel:

Jaranja:

flaming_squirrel:
Wait, vin diesel likes D&D?

I'm not sure what to say, my mind has imploded.

He was also a WoW player.

it's almost comforting in an odd way..

It's the fact that having a person like Vin Diesel being a DnD player pretty much demolishes the stereotypes of the type of people that would like that sort of stuff, it's it?

=P

Swifteye:

We can't see the video in our country. At least that's what the video player said when I pressed play.

Ah fudge. Try and catch Season 4:1 of the IT Crowd "Jen The Fredo".

Graham Lineham is a big D&D fan and the adventure Moss and the rest of them run is scarily accurate.

SilentHunter7:

MovieBob:
Dungeons & Dragons

Watch Video

They should make a movie based around the Tomb of Horrors module. I'd go see that in a heartbeat! It'd be like Saw meets Lord of the Rings.

Slasher D&D movie? Hell, they could make any movie based in Ravenloft and get the same result.

vanthebaron:
what a WoW movie? don't they have to hit warcraft 1, 2, and 3 first?

A WoW movie wouldn't really work. It's too open-ended. Directors and writers hate open-ended stories. It goes against the traditional 3 Act setup most movies and TV shows are made up of.

Jenx:

WaderiAAA:

<--- 2nd edition supporter, will never move on.

I hate the d20 system, it's an insult to my intelligence.

I'm still a GURPS supporter, myself, and find that D&D lacks the flair of a good GURPS story.

Pah, Phoenix Command is where it's at.

Now, I do 8 million points of concussion damage and I roll for 2d4 hit locations on a d1000 for the shrapnel. That does double damage against flesh, half against bone and I hit the left eyebrow, right cheek(lower).....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here