Review: Civilization V

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

It's not your grandpappy's Civilization, but it's the best one in a long while.

Read Full Article

can't wait my friend, can not wait.

Though admittedly I'm an old school Civ fan. i never played Civ 3 or 4. But I still play 2 to this day. I hope that the changes of over 10 years of development don't put me off.

Bah... I hate having to wait a full week for this.

And I'll need to install a new processor by then... Damn it.

Damn it, from Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 22 hours"

I'm seriously thinking on freezing myself in time... 21st can't come soon enough >.<'.

Cant afford it now, mught get it for christmas.

I normally don't get preorders, or even games at full price, usually waiting for a good Steam sale instead. But I did preorder Civ V and can't wait to play it.

I want this game so badly, but i dont have a computer that cna run it... NOOOO I am a massive civilization fan, I mean epic that is the one game I woudl pick if I could only play one more game for the rest of my LIFE!!! I buy anything ol' Sid puts his name on and have yet to be disappointed.

SupahGamuh:
Damn it, from Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 22 hours"

I'm seriously thinking on freezing myself in time... 21st can't come soon enough >.<'.

Don't do it! The freezer might fail to wake you on time and you could be trapped, thousands of years into the future, in a society where no computer runs archaic Windows games anymore, never to play Civilization V.

A fate worse than death.

Good, now they need to update Alpha Centauri, and I'm there.

It looks cool. I doubt my laptop could run it properly though.

Eric the Orange:
can't wait my friend, can not wait.

Second.

But Im scared of system requirements, my computer is quite dated now :N

Wow. After this review, I have to say this is the most I've wanted to play a Civ game since playing hotseat Civ II with my Dad. Good times... good times. :)

Woah! Didn't know the game was coming out this soon! Dang, I really want to play this game now. *mumbles about crappy computer and lack of funds*

At first I wanted to get this real back, but now I heard they'll include some civs and scenarios in paid DLCs.. I don't really want to pay for downloads to get my game complete :| If I have to do that, I rather just buy an expansion pack in store. Or perhaps they'll do it the valve way ._. I really hope they do. I'll wait how this goes before I buy this one. I loved CIV IV though.

Don't use steam, gonna buy it some day. Some day soon.

Some niggling problems were fixed outright. It always bugged me in previous Civs that you were rewarded for building roads in every single tile. In Civ V, roads and some other improvements have a maintenance cost so you need to pick and choose what your workers build wisely. Thankfully, you don't have to connect each resource with a road anymore, merely building the corresponding improvement within your borders does the trick. Finding strategic resources Iron and Horses is doubly important now because each resource only lets you build a finite number of units. For example, building a mine on an Iron tile might only net you two Iron, from which you can only build two Swordsmen. It's a brilliant system, because it forces the kind of strategic decisions that Civ is all about.

YES!!! This is always what I wanted to see in a Civ game. No roads on every tile is a nice touch, but I always hated it how having access to a single resource gave you an unlimited supply to it. Especially in the later stages in the game with modern resources like oil and uranium. We all know how important oil is in the real world, but in past Civ's all you or the AI's needed to do was secure one obscure oil patch and they could build all the tanks/jets/battleships they wanted. Now securing multiple resources will actually become strategic!

There's two other nitpicks I've always had that I wonder if they did anything with:

1. Difficulty levels. The way it's always worked in Civ you the player have on difficulty slider to move up and down, but behind the scenes there are two: one to gives bonuses to the AI, one to handicap the human player. So by increasing the difficulty, you simultaneously make the AI stronger while handicapping yourself, why can't you just choose to do one or the other? I always end up looking for stronger AI opponents, but hate the handicaps that get applied to my Civ at the same time. I feel like the only one though so doubt this changes in Civ V, but maybe I can mod it...

2. Take it or leave it Diplomacy demands. I tend to play with a lot of Civ's, so it gets tough to keep track of who's friendly with who. So it's a pain in the ass when my turn comes up, and AI Civ 1 demands I stop trading with AI Civ 2, I can't stop and check how this will effect AI Civ's 3-16 depending on who's friends with who. Rather you have to Accept or Reject on the spot, and can't proceed until you do. Why can't you minimize the window and leave the diplomacy offer standing, and give an offer when you're done your turn?

In addition to the resource thing, if these happen to be taken care of as well then Civ V will be perfect for me.

Giant Death Robot!!!

Cant wait for Civ V! GOing to be epic!

You talking about the game made me want to play it.
STOP RUBBING IT IN OUR FACES ._.

It's all pre-loaded on my PC and waiting for the unlock. Such a huge tease.

Civ IV it is.

Recommendation: Go to Steam and buy it right now. Do it.

Done!

Well, I'd done it a few hours ago anyway, but if anything, this review has reinforced my expectations.

It's all pre-loaded and ready to go!

Unfortunately, my computer can't run it. I'm stoked for the hex grid and revamped combat/resource system, tho. Hopefully sometime next year I can upgrade and check this out.

Nice to see an actual review of the system this time. I wasn't wowed by the "I am Hiawatha, chief of the Iroquois" story-telling "review" thingy a little while back.

In Civ 4's defense, you didn't have to build roads everywhere in that iteration either. Well, you had to connect resources to cities, and mines/lumbermills benefited from railroads, but.. yeah. Civ 5 does sound like an improvement; I guess I just really like Civ 4 (and I liked the religion system in Civ 4.. its removal for Civ 5 is probably the one thing that bums me out).

Preloaded and making me sad that I can't touch it. CURSE YOU PRELOAD STEAM CURSE YOOOOOOOOOU!

Did someone mention Alpha Centauri?

There really needs to be a sequel.

Wow, it looks like this is one of the first Civilization V reviews out there. Neither Gamespot or IGN have one up yet, and Metacritic only shows two. Looks like The Escapist's coming up in the gaming media world.

Also I'm very glad, and somewhat received, to see the game is getting good reviews. I only started playing Civilization with IV, so you couldn't really call me a long-time fan, and I wasn't sure Civ V would be new enough to be worth buying, but I went ahead and preordered it on Steam anyway. So I'm glad to see it looks like a good choice.

I shouldn't have read that. I've just dug up Civ IV for a last hurrah, but now I'm thinking that it's not going to compare to this glorious image of Civ V that's in my head. Oh well, hopefully it'll fill the void.

There is just so much to look forward to, I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a game coming out.

RandV80:
Why can't you minimize the window and leave the diplomacy offer standing, and give an offer when you're done your turn?

I don't know if the same demands will be all over the place, but I do know that Civ V isn't supposed to have that sort of immediate response thing happening. Instead, alerts will show up in a queue that you'll have to resolve to end your turn. That's the impression I got from some of their pre-release materials at least.

I bought it already, its preloaded, i even bought the stupid deluxe edition even though there is little "deluxe" about it.

Greg: thank you for letting us know that this is your favorite Civ to date. I've read all your articles on the game subject thus far, and this was the last question I had. I've been a Civ 2 person throughout the years, and not a single advance excites me more than the end of the stack of doom.

I'm taking tuesday off work, probably wednesday. Hey, im a senior grad student writing papers rather than working in the lab-- I HAVE THIS OPTION.

procyonlotor:
Did someone mention Alpha Centauri?

There really needs to be a sequel.

Well, get modding sir. Shouldn't be hard to modify the tilesets and create a new alpha centauri right here on top of Civ V. Thats the beauty of both Civ and the PC platform. You want it? IT CAN BE YOURS.

Tiamat666:

SupahGamuh:

Don't do it! The freezer might fail to wake you on time and you could be trapped, thousands of years into the future, in a society where no computer runs archaic Windows games anymore, never to play Civilization V.

A fate worse than death.

Hello, Civilization LXXXIV

Pre-ordered and ready to roll!

Serious question (sorry if it sounds like trolling - it's not meant to):
The last Civ game that I liked was Civ2 (which, IMO, has only been surpassed by Alpha Centauri).

I played Civ3 - it made me want to claw my own eyes out (something about swarms of swordmen constantly taking out my helicopters).

I played Civ4 - it only made me want to heavily scratch my eyes - still didn't like it, though. Combat was still a mess, IMO, and the trade and diplomacy was ridiculous (the PC would never seem to accept fair deals, regardless of culture)

So, given that I loved Civ2, but pretty much hated Civ3 and Civ4, will I like this game or not?

Thanks in advance!

So, I'm assuming that kid in school gave you a legally purchased copy. =p

Yep, thsi christmas I'm hoping it goes on Steam Sale.

I enjoyed Civ 3: The first and last one I played.

Seriously, with rome TW, Starcraft II and Knights ofthe Old Republic(bought for 2.50) I can wait til' then

Greg Tito:

It's not your grandpappy's Civilization, but it's the best one in a long while.

Read Full Article

Sir, while thermonuclear war may be a game, the consequences are no joke. Seriouslly though, looks like I've got two digital games to pick up this weekend now that I know about Minecraft.

Greg Tito:
Go to your local game store and buy it right now. Do it.

Fixed. A legendary game like this deserves shelf space. That way, you will have something to play when the apocalypse comes. :P

Anyway, thank you for the review. This finally titled me towards waiting to get a new PC and buy this rather than buy the complete version of Civ IV. This just seems like an overall better game.

I can't believe they improved the nuke animation, I didn't think that was possible.

<3 <3 <3

By the way, how's the music?

iamjonah:

So, given that I loved Civ2, but pretty much hated Civ3 and Civ4, will I like this game or not?

Thanks in advance!

That's a good question, iamjonah. Civ and Civ 2 fell under the same problems that you describe for Civ 3 and Civ 4, I believe. At least in my games, spearmen beat tanks (or swordsmen beat helicopters) a lot more in the earlier games than in Civ 3 or 4. Still, Civ V's combat feels completely different and more tactical, so hopefully your eyes will stay intact.

The diplomacy system is similar to Civ 4, easier difficulty levels like Chieftain or Warlord allows for easier trading but once you play on Prince, I'm afraid that other Civs are just as stingy as you describe.

Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, but that's what I thought. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here