Stolen Pixels #228: All Points Bu

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I pre-ordered APB via Steam. Played in the early beta a few hours and then was busy with other things. Never played it post-launch.

Argh.

Celtic_Kerr:
Imagine if this had happened to WoW? Imagine the alternate reality

Too bad it won't happen to WoW

I had a feeling it wouldn't do so good

Irridium:
Shame, my brother really wanted to play this game. He was so exited for it too.
Just goes to show money doesn't fix everything.

Unrulyhandbag:

barash:

Experimental:

barash:

Experimental:
Haha, oh the irony...

What irony?

The game was in development for longer than three years, but it lasted less than three months.

also, the comic cut at the end.

Irony is the use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning.

Time in development opposed to time in sale is in no way ironic. Neither is cutting the comic. It is funny though ;)

Irony is words used to the opposite of the intention. It's typically unintentional.
Use of words to CONVEY (deliberately pass on)the opposite meaning is sarcasm as the irony is done with intent.

your right though, not ironic in any way.

Still; I thought the game was getting picked up by another publisher.

We need a new word for Irony, or just get rid of the word Irony. Its been warped so badly its beyond saving.

Oddly enough, the people that are trying to "save" the word Irony have even less idea of what it means than people that misuse it sometimes. For instance, one of the definitions of Irony according to Mirriam-Webster is incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal expected result. That's not a new meaning to the word. Thus the original statement was actually a correct use of the term irony.

Also, it means that your statement is ironic, as you wouldn't expect the person complaining about irony's meaning being warped to be warping its meaning.

ZephrC:

Oddly enough, the people that are trying to "save" the word Irony have even less idea of what it means than people that misuse it sometimes. For instance, one of the definitions of Irony according to Mirriam-Webster is incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal expected result. That's not a new meaning to the word. Thus the original statement was actually a correct use of the term irony.

Also, it means that your statement is ironic, as you wouldn't expect the person complaining about irony's meaning being warped to be warping its meaning.

I don't want to save it. I want to destroy it. Or at least put the definition behind another word. Its beyond saving.

Irridium:

ZephrC:

I don't want to save it. I want to destroy it. Or at least put the definition behind another word. Its beyond saving.

Saving from what, exactly? People not using it precisely as you want them to? Sure it gets misused from time to time. Most words do. This whole nonsense about it being more misused than any other similar word is just sillyness coming from people that don't even know what it really meant in the first place though.

Wow, you just made me feel slightly sad for the departure of APB...Ahh, Don't worry, it has gone now, back to laughing at it's demise.

I remember finally buying Tabula Raza a few years back, just to discover servers are getting closed a about 3 months later...
It was a good game though...

I don't feel to sorry for them, they spent one hundred million dollars and I've never heard of this game and I would like to think i'm pretty connected on new games. They couldn't handle their money or market it right. Mabey some other developer will pick this up, if they do mabey i'll check it out.

EDIT: Also liked your comic shamus, again it gave me a good chuckle.

Nice one Shamus, Good jo...

Shame, it seemed like a great MMO. Then they refused to release it in Australia, which of cause meant no chance of me being able to support it.

Then it died.

Guess I'm lucky?

Shamus plays... Minecraft?

I was hoping to buy it, but once it came out, I found that alot of people were dissapointed with it, and changed my mind. Good thing, that would have been a waste of money. It did look good on paper...

Celtic_Kerr:

Imagine the technology we'd had if all that talent wasn't wasted on WoW. We'd have flying cars by now!

Guess it never occur to Realtime Worlds that advertising the game about a month before release would help <.<

I didn't know about the game until 2 days AFTER it was release. <.<

Shamus is a genius. I completly loved it how he cut off his own Stolen Pixel to show how short-lived the MMO was.

Did someone say Candleja

APB was a risk and it failed, but if companies didn't take risks the same old crap would be churned out over and again, at least it was something different.

*21 gun salute* ...Good night sweet price.

In other news, how the hell did an MMO die so fast? Did the company go bankrupt during development? If so then why didn't someone buy up the rights and make some money off the game?

new_age_reject:
Did someone say Candleja

No, no no, you have to say the full name candlejack or nothing will happ

darkmushroomm:
APB was a risk and it failed, but if companies didn't take risks the same old crap would be churned out over and again, at least it was something different.

different crap that is.
It has nothing to do with inovators that don't get the chances, all the WoW clones fail also, more or less.
Old concepts or new roads end up in the same spot; being judged by an audiance with a shitload of competition. when u are crap it will be noticed.

Oh, ha ha, the comic cut off in the middle, yeah, that's... kinda funny...

*goes to check out Critical Miss*

Great comic as always; I am so glad I didn't buy APB....my "doomed game spider sense" kept ringing about it, and I was right. I get the same ringing from Global Agenda...hmmm.

As a total side note (nowhere else I know of to put this!): I started the LOTRO F2P last night. I couldn't help but notice that the starter area for men has been totally revised/rewritten....and I am wondering if Lulzy's adventures had some small part in the decision to revise the starter zone, because they seemed to go out of their way to clean up the story and get it to feel a little more involved for the player, as well as rooted in a bit more common-sense....Turbine has a habit of doing this, I have noticed, making weak spots in their games better, but I gotta admit, it felt an awful lot like they'd been paying attention to Lulzy's tales and decided to take the critical humor therein as constructive criticism! It was a much, much nicer starter experience than I am used to, to be honest...they got me hooked at last, it seems....

I joined APB at late Beta and continued playing until early September, one of the most original MMOs I ever played but the Developers pretty much ruined it. They failed to balance the game, let cheaters get away with murder and catered to noobs. Maybe someday in the future another company will make a game live up to the concept this game never reached.

I miss you APB, your punk buster lag, your terrible rage driven cry fest of a community. but mostly I miss the customization. I sent 8+ hours on the final paint job of my car, I got whispers all day about how cool it looked. Rest in peace, eat a fat one Davey Jones for the idea of the non-Disclosure Agreement that I think killed most of the buzz for this game. I remember for everyone! Free too play baby Free to play!

aww .. I wanted to try this..

It is simply for the love of Shamus comics on why I actually tried to sidescroll to see the rest. Guess Shamus ran out of money, too.

This is just sad. I had no intention of buying whatsoever, but it seems so much better than the repetitive drivel that MMOs live and breathe for. Maybe the different setting just didn't support the gameplay it needed. What I know for sure is that

Wait, APB got released? (And yes, I'm only slightly non-serious.)

i had been following this game through production for ages as it was supposed to be released in like 2008 and kept being pushed back. I got into the beta, played it once and was appalled at how poor it was. I can't say this wasn't expected, it being canned and all. it was a great idea tho.

Shit, this beat Tabula Rasa (yes, the MMO that Yahtzee reviewed)! And TR only ran for maybe two-hundred days, but less than eighty?

This is... hilariously bad.

Quiet Stranger:

Celtic_Kerr:

Too bad it won't happen to WoW

I had a feeling it wouldn't do so good

if Wow shutdown...
NERDOCALYPSE
from cheeto dust
to dust

but really this looked pretty cool
i hope someone (Epic?) remakes it
for consoles (with a smaller player count (32 per zone?), more areas with more interiors and variety, a simpler but still intricate customization engine, better car pyshics (like burnout) and weapon customization

that would be the shit

probably shoulda just made a non-mmo game

Ahh, Shamus. Didn't know you played APB too. Which server? (Probably not LaRocha, at least the times I was on... I'd remember that car.) Honestly, I miss the potential it had more than anything; I envisioned multi-stage bank jobs, running gun battles through huge malls, street races along the boardwalk. Instead we got a game that saw no major improvements from beta to release, and a North American market that was quite honestly ignored by the developers (we had, literally, exactly one community liasion on the forums at any one time during the game's life, and he kept UK office hours).

There were so many problems with the game that it could make you cry, and yet during those rare times when everything came together, it was an experience unlike any other. I can only wonder what it could have become in the hands of a developer who could have handled it.

psrdirector:
I heard a company may buy the rights to this game or something, saw it here on escapist i think

You're probably talking about this news post. Sadly the chances of that deal actually going down are slim.

What's really tragic, is Auto Assault lasted longer than APB. I thought APB looked like it had promise, but I guess it didn't have much outside of tons of customization, and that gets old after a while.

I hate it when a huge game, especially a unique one, flops. It kills whatever entrepreneurship a publisher had.

By all accounts, APB was a bad MMO all around... that it died should shock no one. That it died THIS fast however says there was a serious fundamental flaw above and beyond the pale of the norm. Either that, or modern developers are getting outrightly stupid in how fast they expect a cost turn-around.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here