Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 18 NEXT

So, I watched the MovieBob video and now I have to say that he brings more good points to the discussion so he wins. Basically.

So, now I have a review that says nothing good and I have a review that says nothing bad. >D Common guys, games have good parts and bad parts.

The story: I'm not getting into it, I'll just say MovieBob won.

The gameplay: I personally played it and the switch to FP sucks, but the rest is really really really fun.

I still like this game, but I would of loved it if they used the nunchuck and allowed you to move around in FP view. I say that because it really breaks the flow of the game.

~Rahl

LazarusRaven:

sacredwolf82:
His special episode comes out the same day as the international release of Civ 5.
What do you guys think?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.234132-Yahtzee-Leaving-the-Escapist-Reviewing

He said "think."

Lordofthesuplex:
Also Bob has a point about his views on the FPS genre. I've seen examples of it myself. Elitist pricks who only think a game matters if it's like Halo or Modern Warfare. (Granted I don't agree with what he says about the Metroid Prime Trilogy and even I admit there are some modern day FPSs I still like but that doesn't change the fact that the industry is littered with too much of them and a good chunk of them don't really try and stand out from one another)

Portal, Half-Life 2, TimeSplitters, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Thief: The Dark Project, Deus Ex, System Shock II, Bioshock and a lot of others would all like a word with you.

I think Bob's completely wrong about the genre. To me it's the best one to experience true immersion in. When an FPS is good with a rich environments, story and characters, like Half-Life 2 and Bioshock, it's REALLY good and to say that's it's the most uncreative genre is a laugh.

MasterRahl:
The story: I'm not getting into it, I'll just say MovieBob won.
~Rahl

Debates don't work like that, it was the biggest and most glaring problem with the game and everyone knows it.

Huh? Anybody esle catch that at the end?
Wtf yahtzee don't insult your audience!

BehattedWanderer:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

If you ever get around to owning one, I'd suggest checking Other M out. The story isn't the hardest to predict, but there are a few moments of absolute characterization that rival that of any protagonist, especially when Ridley shows up, and you see Samus confront something that by rights she should have killed long, long ago, yet still hangs around to terrorize her.

You referenced Bob's bit, and in fairness he did cover most of what caused the untold fervor of anger. How a woman who's openly expressing her motherly instincts is a weak personality I'll never understand, but I suppose in context of the lumbering block of meat that comprises most protagonists, having concern that naturally occurs for something you want to protect is a risible trait. In her reflections Samus sounds like an actual person having gone through a traumatic event, which she clearly has, so it's a bit like crying bullshit that she shouldn't emote when the most recent thing she was emotionally attached gets smeared across the walls.

And you seem quite quick, Yahtzee, to cry out that the whole father-figure complex that Samus has with Adam is character weakening when you yourself, multiple times over your continual fawning over that aloof aristocratic prat of a prince, have said that it was central to the character's development and personality. For a character like Samus, raised by the Chozo, lacking actual familial ties insofar as we know, how is forming a relationship with a man she would admire as if he were a father demeaning to the character? The little we know of Samus from the minutia of expository story we have about her upbringing is mostly that of loneliness, hardship, and struggle. Compared to most of your oft-referenced targets for praise, Samus actually has a reason to be alone, resourceful, and detached from the things around her, yet when she forms an attachment only to watch the object or person of her affections destroy itself for her sake, she's supposed to take it all in stride?

At least stay consistent in your fanboy-panderings, would you mind?

I need to find that Citizen Kane gif. Like I said in a previous post, this entire debacle, to me, seems like the equivalent of backing out of a serious relationship just you don't have to commit. Because, y'know, there are things to LOSE at that point. It also says to me that the gaming industry has done a VERY bad job of giving us protagonists that have actual problems, flaws, and insecurities. So when one DOES come around we reject it for no real reason.

And I'd still love to know what the fuck "Other M" is supposed to mean.

This review was actually quite cathartic for me, even though I think you only really scratched the surface of how awful this game is. Now as far as I'm concerned, this game doesn't exist.

Seriously, the Swedish xenophobes party was recently allowed into the governing body of Sweden. That didn't disappoint me as much as this game did.

BehattedWanderer:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

If you ever get around to owning one, I'd suggest checking Other M out. The story isn't the hardest to predict, but there are a few moments of absolute characterization that rival that of any protagonist, especially when Ridley shows up, and you see Samus confront something that by rights she should have killed long, long ago, yet still hangs around to terrorize her.

You referenced Bob's bit, and in fairness he did cover most of what caused the untold fervor of anger. How a woman who's openly expressing her motherly instincts is a weak personality I'll never understand, but I suppose in context of the lumbering block of meat that comprises most protagonists, having concern that naturally occurs for something you want to protect is a risible trait. In her reflections Samus sounds like an actual person having gone through a traumatic event, which she clearly has, so it's a bit like crying bullshit that she shouldn't emote when the most recent thing she was emotionally attached gets smeared across the walls.

And you seem quite quick, Yahtzee, to cry out that the whole father-figure complex that Samus has with Adam is character weakening when you yourself, multiple times over your continual fawning over that aloof aristocratic prat of a prince, have said that it was central to the character's development and personality. For a character like Samus, raised by the Chozo, lacking actual familial ties insofar as we know, how is forming a relationship with a man she would admire as if he were a father demeaning to the character? The little we know of Samus from the minutia of expository story we have about her upbringing is mostly that of loneliness, hardship, and struggle. Compared to most of your oft-referenced targets for praise, Samus actually has a reason to be alone, resourceful, and detached from the things around her, yet when she forms an attachment only to watch the object or person of her affections destroy itself for her sake, she's supposed to take it all in stride?

At least stay consistent in your fanboy-panderings, would you mind?

i can't speak for yahtzee but for me it felt completely out of place

by the end of the game i forgot what the story was about, it was all about Samus and her internal endless monologue, i didn't care about the bottle ship, or MB, or anything to do with why i did anything in the game because the story really revolved around Samus and Adam Malkovich, and to that extent the writing itself was poorly done

the concept itself is fine, but the execution was horrible imo, nobody cares about a female protagonist with motherly feelings - Aliens came out the same year as Metroid 1, nobody's still bitching about that movie... but Metroid Other M rattles on and on, it's like bad fan fiction

plenty of bad movies have been made with good ideas, still doesn't make them good movies tho

Aiddon:
I need to find that Citizen Kane gif. Like I said in a previous post, this entire debacle, to me, seems like the equivalent of backing out of a serious relationship just you don't have to commit. Because, y'know, there are things to LOSE at that point. It also says to me that the gaming industry has done a VERY bad job of giving us protagonists that have actual problems, flaws, and insecurities. So when one DOES come around we reject it for no real reason.

Most of us would looooove one of those.

What we don't want is a badly voiced, exposition spewing, overbearing annoyance as the protagonist when we the player clearly know what's happening on screen without the help from Samus constantly narrating every little thing, which causes a huge disconnect with the player out of pure annoyance.

It's not that we mind them giving her a personality, we just mind that they gave her a badly written one.

Just because you throw melodrama into a character doesn't make them have much of a personality, it makes them annoying as most people have constantly stated before.

Again, we'd LOVE for them to give her a well developed and written personality, we just didn't want what Yoshio-Sakamoto wrote, which was the equivalent of crayon on paper.

Nomanslander:

All of a sudden Moviebob has become a little...creepy.

As in Tom-Cruise-talking-about-Scientology creepy.

Casual Shinji:

Nomanslander:

All of a sudden Moviebob has become a little...creepy.

As in Tom-Cruise-talking-about-Scientology creepy.

Yeah, that was one of his worst ones...

Rarely I have agreed so entirely with a ZP review. The writing for this game is bloody atrocious, and NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO NOTICE. This is the first review I've seen bring it up as a serious detractor.

Seriously. If you haven't played the game, you cannot imagine how poorly this is handled. It sounds like it was written by a game designer.

...a game designer who has never in his life encountered anything besides long strings of code, and has never read a novel, newspaper, or any literary medium which could in any abstraction be described as 'subtle' or cohesive. Or maybe it was a genius monkey.

At least that would explain how poorly it handles explaining the back-story to those who haven't played the predecssor. And by 'poorly', I mean 'not at all'. It doesn't even try.

*sigh*

88mph:

by the end of the game i forgot what the story was about

I'm sorry you weren't paying attention? The story is fairly regularly brought up, kinda hard to miss. You remember, it was that whole "All the Metroids were supposedly destroyed, but here's the federation doing destructive research into bioweapons without weaknesses, so guess what's been remade" bit? Occasionally hammered home by broken computers showing fixed loops of screens from long ago, or why there are these terrible creatures all over the place next to corpses of what were once people? You remember those bits, right? Remember how they were bookended by Samus' internal soliloquy about not knowing what was going on, and how the eventual conclusion of what was happening was dawning on her a little at a time, as she gathered more information? Might not have been the greatest story, but it was there pretty frequently. That you didn't care about it means you had already disconnected yourself from the game and it's universe, meaning you might have missed that bit about how Metroids have only one weakness as the ultimate killing machine, something that does no universe any good when that one weakness is being genetically removed. As someone who's fought plenty of that particular kind of menace, stopping their revival was Samus' priority. So, you know, good job on paying attention. The business with Adam was central because it highlighted his feelings toward what had to be done, even at great personal cost, something Samus would soon deal with again.

Aiddon:

It also says to me that the gaming industry has done a VERY bad job of giving us protagonists that have actual problems, flaws, and insecurities. So when one DOES come around we reject it for no real reason.

I remember the torrent of bullshit that fell on Dom from Gears of War 2 because he actually cared about the welfare of his wife, and that while we all saw it coming, empathizing with him for the revelation of her fate was still a poignant moment.

*ugh* does this beat the post-Brawl thread? >_<
Other M... Samus doesn't need a character. She was happy being the silent alien/pirate massacring armoured woman, and she probably would have been happy doing that for some time to come...
However I'd like to know what's on trial here. Is the silence of the longstanding protagonist? Is the inclusion of the cinematic in a series that has mostly avoided that type of exposition? Is it the reviewer who took issue with the trite story and terrible voice acting? Is it the idea, that a collective fanbase can generate emotional perspectives on who a silent protagonist IS through gameplay, has no value? That the 'fans' who expect their experiences and feelings when playing a game to translate properly into actual expositional characterisation?
Quite frankly I'm on the fan's side. If a game can EVOKE feeling and empathy, shouldn't designers/writers capitalize on this aspect of the franchise? Should they not do that through gameplay?
I *LIKE* what Metroid Other M is doing. As a platforming shooter, I think it looks like a great game, and makes me wish I owned a Wii. I don't particularly care for a bunch of moody cutscenes or a selection of expendable redshirts that don't really play a part in the actual shooty death kill business.
I can understand that as a human being, Samus might regret the extinction of a species, and not as a mother, but as a humanist(speciest?... whatever) or someone with any depth whatsoever. I do find it hard however to marry the slaying of legions of 'bad-guys' with this sort of sentimentality however.

Flamma Man:

Aiddon:

Most of us would looooove one of those.

What we don't want is a badly voiced, exposition spewing, overbearing annoyance as the protagonist when we the player clearly know what's happening on screen without the help from Samus constantly narrating every little thing, which causes a huge disconnect with the player out of pure annoyance.

It's not that we mind them giving her a personality, we just mind that they gave her a badly written one.

Just because you throw melodrama into a character doesn't make them have much of a personality, it makes them annoying as most people have constantly stated before.

Again, we'd LOVE for them to give her a well developed and written personality, we just didn't want what Yoshio-Sakamoto wrote, which was the equivalent of crayon on paper.

You realize it's falling on deaf ears, right? The machine that is the Nintendo fandom is drowning out your points as you share them. Again, we're well into the "throwing Samus completely under the bus" phase of fangasming apologetics. She's now a weak little glass princess, and this is good because it's "development" and "drama". Bad storytelling, bad voicing, bad pacing, and insane illogic doesn't matter. If you want something with effort put into it, read a book.

Read some of these posts. They literally are not getting a single word you say. You complain about the raping of her character, and they question why you're against Samus showing emotions or maternal instincts. And sometimes they make a story up wholesale about people complaining because Dom talked about his wife in GoW. (Didn't happen, but it's a convenient story to do what they do best: Try to keep the conversation on anything but the game's failures.)
The delusions are too strong at this point. You're basically marching through an entire field of straw dolls.

BehattedWanderer:

88mph:

by the end of the game i forgot what the story was about

I'm sorry you weren't paying attention? The story is fairly regularly brought up, kinda hard to miss. You remember, it was that whole "All the Metroids were supposedly destroyed, but here's the federation doing destructive research into bioweapons without weaknesses, so guess what's been remade" bit? Occasionally hammered home by broken computers showing fixed loops of screens from long ago, or why there are these terrible creatures all over the place next to corpses of what were once people? You remember those bits, right? Remember how they were bookended by Samus' internal soliloquy about not knowing what was going on, and how the eventual conclusion of what was happening was dawning on her a little at a time, as she gathered more information? Might not have been the greatest story, but it was there pretty frequently. That you didn't care about it means you had already disconnected yourself from the game and it's universe, meaning you might have missed that bit about how Metroids have only one weakness as the ultimate killing machine, something that does no universe any good when that one weakness is being genetically removed. As someone who's fought plenty of that particular kind of menace, stopping their revival was Samus' priority. So, you know, good job on paying attention. The business with Adam was central because it highlighted his feelings toward what had to be done, even at great personal cost, something Samus would soon deal with again.

Aiddon:

It also says to me that the gaming industry has done a VERY bad job of giving us protagonists that have actual problems, flaws, and insecurities. So when one DOES come around we reject it for no real reason.

I remember the torrent of bullshit that fell on Dom from Gears of War 2 because he actually cared about the welfare of his wife, and that while we all saw it coming, empathizing with him for the revelation of her fate was still a poignant moment.

oh no i definitely remember it all

but it was all told with about the same enthusiasm with which you described it - dull and monotonous, obviously to me all the energy was put into the Samus-Adam character arc, which itself wasn't very well written

it's like the entire reason the game's plot and settings existed was simply to tell a personal story that wasn't very well written, maybe next time they should try engaging players

mr_rubino:
You realize it's falling on deaf ears, right? The machine that is the Nintendo fandom is drowning out your points as you share them.

I noticed and just gave up on 'em.

What's still annoying is that people are still blaming the story on Team Ninja when they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I'm just going to watch the flaming now.

se7ensenses:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.

Metroid Other M is not the same game as the other Metroids. They were good, Other M is tacky at best and outright sexist at worst in their characterisation.

Yahtzee you open old wounds with this review :)

BehattedWanderer:

Well...GoW2 was a little different; plus one problem with introducing heavy emotional issues to a character is that it DOESN'T gel with the juvenile power fantasy of shooting people in the face. Like I said, the games industry has made a bad habit out of sidestepping any displays of negative emotions in our protagonists.

-looks at Rubino's post- I'll fully admit that the game had its problems (like Yahtzee said, give someone criticisms otherwise things will turn out bad): a little too linear, cut scene length was overbearing at times, monologues needed to be edited, voice acting for the minor characters was iffy, exposition dumps, melodramatic/cheesy moments happened ("you got no style!" -shakes head-), the plot was basic, and of course the scanning sections were annoying. However, I will NOT tolerate you bashing the game's fans and then acting like THEY'RE the strawmen. Hate to break it to ya, but they have as good of arguments as you, if not better. And last time I checked so-called "glass princesses" couldn't fight back against alien lizards despite being pinned and make space dragons force-felate their plasma cannons.

88mph:

but it was all told with about the same enthusiasm with which you described it - dull and monotonous, obviously to me all the energy was put into the Samus-Adam character arc, which itself wasn't very well written

it's like the entire reason the game's plot and settings existed was simply to tell a personal story that wasn't very well written, maybe next time they should try engaging players

Your personal dichotomies amuse me.

88mph:

RTR:
I continue to stress that the only time Samus' character ever had some sort of development was at the end of Metroid II, where she couldn't bring herself to kill the last baby Metroid because it thought Samus was it's mom, eventually leading to the events of Super Metroid so "free independent spirit" seems to be a little out of context. For all we know, that was the only thing that kept Samus from being a complete blank page, with Other M being the single time her character has even come close to third-dimensional. I mean, just because she's a badass that hunts aliens for a living doesn't mean she's also human.
Also, I think there is a point to the monotony of her voice: for the most part it's not dialogue with other characters and more of a monologue inside her head. Kinda reminds me of Guy Pearce's character in Memento (the monologuing, that is).

my problem with their portrayal of Samus is that the character is almost 25 years old, and during the majority of that time the character has been a silent completely isolated protagonist

the Samus in Metroid Other M isn't experienced or mature, you don't sense any history with this game's Samus; if this were a prequel of the first game that'd be fine but this is the 4th game

it seems obvious to me that the writer wanted to insert emotion into Samus, but when you just insert it so haphazardly and without any subtlety to a character people have already had their own ideas about for almost 25 years, yeah people aren't going to like it

Even if I don't agree with the stuff you say, I can respect your point of view more than I can respect the one coming from Yahtzee.

BlueInkAlchemist:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing.

I am in a similar pickle as I am also poor right now but with no desire for a Wii. I also watched that video you posted and MovieBob made very decent points... However, I think Yahtzee did too in that they could have given her a bit more independence since she did go through all those other games alone.

The person I keep seeing described in Other M, even when MovieBob described her, doesn't sound like somebody with the gonadal fortitude to keep heading out alone. I also, from a logical perspective, don't see a need for permission to wear my protective gear when I start taking damage from the environment.

But I have to inevitably agree with you that I have no personal basis to go off of so I have to sit on this same fence with you. Popcorn? *offers some*

BehattedWanderer:

88mph:

Your personal dichotomies amuse me.

the actual plot of the game is totally forgettable - as in it takes a back seat to the personal story of samus - one that some people including myself didn't quite appreciate, if you want to get into semantics

either way, once the game ended and you return to the ship, that is when i thought "now this is a metroid game", nobody there holding your hand spelling out every subtle feeling Samus might have, just the world of metroid and exploration

prior to the ending tho, the game might as well have been fan fiction on a forum

Very excellent, specific criticisms delivered with spot on humor. An excellent example of what so many of us love Zero Punctuation and Yahtzee for.

And what nerds is he talking to? Must be you other guys on here, couldn't possibly be talking to me. Now what time Friday should I be expecting that special ZP at so I can clear my life in preparation of it's dropping?

And just kidding, everybody on here is part of my tribe and I value them for it.

Y'know, I recently realised that I watch ZP only partially because of the laughs I get out of it - I think I've just grown accustomed to the sound of Yahtzee's voice.

Aiddon:

Well...GoW2 was a little different; plus one problem with introducing heavy emotional issues to a character is that it DOESN'T gel with the juvenile power fantasy of shooting people in the face..

What do you do in every Metroid game ever?

Shoot things in the face (or other glowing weakspot).

Grayfayce:
Yeh, Metroid Prime 3 was much better.

But no Halo: Reach? Damn...

If he does he'll probably just say "Watch my old Halo review. Done? Good."

You realize it's falling on deaf ears, right? The machine that is the Nintendo fandom is drowning out your points as you share them. Again, we're well into the "throwing Samus completely under the bus" phase of fangasming apologetics. She's now a weak little glass princess, and this is good because it's "development" and "drama". Bad storytelling, bad voicing, bad pacing, and insane illogic doesn't matter. If you want something with effort put into it, read a book.

No we're not drowning out points. I know what a weak glass princess is and it's not Samus' portrayal on this. Go read Twilight and you'll see what a real glass princess, bad storytelling and pacing are like. You think I'm some Nintendo fanboy? Well guess what? You're a goddamn elitist and I have no tolerance for your kind AT ALL.

Portal, Half-Life 2, TimeSplitters, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Thief: The Dark Project, Deus Ex, System Shock II, Bioshock and a lot of others would all like a word with you.

You pretty much just listed a bunch of examples of FPSs that I like and wish more FPS developers would take inspiration from instead of anything that involves space marines or everything else Halo made "trendy" to this genre.

Thank god for companies like People Can Fly. (They're the ones that made Painkiller and are currently working on Bulletstorm right?)

Aiddon:

BehattedWanderer:

Well...GoW2 was a little different; plus one problem with introducing heavy emotional issues to a character is that it DOESN'T gel with the juvenile power fantasy of shooting people in the face. Like I said, the games industry has made a bad habit out of sidestepping any displays of negative emotions in our protagonists.

-looks at Rubino's post- I'll fully admit that the game had its problems (like Yahtzee said, give someone criticisms otherwise things will turn out bad): a little too linear, cut scene length was overbearing at times, monologues needed to be edited, voice acting for the minor characters was iffy, exposition dumps, melodramatic/cheesy moments happened ("you got no style!" -shakes head-), the plot was basic, and of course the scanning sections were annoying. However, I will NOT tolerate you bashing the game's fans and then acting like THEY'RE the strawmen. Hate to break it to ya, but they have as good of arguments as you, if not better. And last time I checked so-called "glass princesses" couldn't fight back against alien lizards despite being pinned and make space dragons force-felate their plasma cannons.

I'm pretty sure you're talking to Mr Robino for that last bit, to which I would advise quoting him that he might be aware of it. If, instead, you were directing my eyes toward his post, then I'll say instead that I am fully aware that the game had it's bad bits, but that the general outcry of "They gave her a weak character when they characterized her" is about as sensible as spraying Rat-flavoring all over your cock and presenting it to a snake.

He mentioned bad pacing, though, which intrigues and amuses me, because I can't really think of a moment aside from those asinine stalking sections where Samus marches stiffly around where the pacing was off at all. Same with bad storytelling, because, while thoroughly predictable, was no less mediocre than anything else currently on market.

Wow, he really tore this one apart. I still wanna play it though before I form an opinion. MovieBob brought up some good points, but so did Yahtzee and, well, just about everyone else.

88mph:

the actual plot of the game is totally forgettable - as in it takes a back seat to the personal story of samus - one that some people including myself didn't quite appreciate, if you want to get into semantics

either way, once the game ended and you return to the ship, that is when i thought "now this is a metroid game", nobody there holding your hand spelling out every subtle feeling Samus might have, just the world of metroid and exploration

prior to the ending tho, the game might as well have been fan fiction on a forum

Out of curiosity, have you ever really been impressed by a Metroid story or plot, though? Even the highly touted Prime games have little in the way of memorable, distinct plot. Those particular plots took the backseat to exploration and reading. Super Metroid's plot was second to playing with your various new toys as you got them, and figuring out all the little nooks and crannies you could tuck into for loot. Story has never really been their focus, always being there casually, but background to wandering around finding new ways to go to different rooms in the places you've already been.

BehattedWanderer:

He mentioned bad pacing, though, which intrigues and amuses me, because I can't really think of a moment aside from those asinine stalking sections where Samus marches stiffly around where the pacing was off at all. Same with bad storytelling, because, while thoroughly predictable, was no less mediocre than anything else currently on market.

You don't think that entirely abandoned plot threads and all of the key story exposition being stuffed into one cutscene after the endboss is bad pacing?

Not being able to naturally conclude all of the story threads you've set up is one of the key indicators of bad story pacing, if you're left with threads hanging that you can't conclude as part of your story it means you fucked up, something should have been dealt with and you didn't do it. Also wrong is infodumping, because it means that you forgot to or couldn't figure out how to reveal that information during the course of the narrative, so you have to arrest the narrative in order to deliver a great wodge of exposition. Other M does this with critical narrative points after the narrative should be over. (Remember, this is a videogame, the conclusion of the narrative should be interwoven with the conclusion to the game, and that does not mean a whopping cutscene on the end. The way the end is handled is about the one piece of really good narrative in Halo: Reach).

Lordofthesuplex:

You pretty much just listed a bunch of examples of FPSs that I like and wish more FPS developers would take inspiration from instead of anything that involves space marines or everything else Halo made "trendy" to this genre.

Thank god for companies like People Can Fly. (They're the ones that made Painkiller and are currently working on Bulletstorm right?)

What I was getting at was bob said that the FPS genre is the most uncreative which, using examples, is incredibly false.

And yes, more developers need to make more engaging and better written FPSs, but I think they're slowing getting it.

I'm not sure why quote is not working...

But for those of you who mentioned moviebob...

Go to the end.

BehattedWanderer:

88mph:

Out of curiosity, have you ever really been impressed by a Metroid story or plot, though? Even the highly touted Prime games have little in the way of memorable, distinct plot. Those particular plots took the backseat to exploration and reading. Super Metroid's plot was second to playing with your various new toys as you got them, and figuring out all the little nooks and crannies you could tuck into for loot. Story has never really been their focus, always being there casually, but background to wandering around finding new ways to go to different rooms in the places you've already been.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that they suddenly decided they needed an overblown cutscene fest with linear levels instead of, y'know, a Metroid game.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here