Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 19 NEXT

BlueInkAlchemist:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing.

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

Since when has any Metroid game since Super Nintendo not needed good FPS mechanics? The main character's defining traits include a GUN ON HER ARM. If Team Ninja was trying to make a non-FPS game, they picked the wrong franchise. This isn't Zelda.

Arguing that a protagonist is some quality because the player controlling them does stupid things is ridiculous. So if I play Arkham Asylum and make Batman die over and over by missing punches, does that mean Batman is an incompetent klutz? NO.

It doesn't matter if Samus is a silent protagonist, there are tons of pieces of information from the earlier Metroid games that establish who she is, including most glaringly the audio/scan logs from Prime et. al. Samus is a bounty hunter but she hunts Space Pirates, Ridley, and the rest out of a determination to seek the unknown and keep others safe (remember how every mission ever begins with her responding to a distress call without promise of reward?). She is, in every game, either the first explorer or the one-woman rescue team. If there's any part of this description that doesn't scream bold and independent then I challenge you to find it.

Yahtzee has made plenty of biased questionable reviews. This is not even close. The fact that he shares criticisms with many other sources should tell you that the game is, in fact, shit, and the plot makes me personally cringe.

Yeah, nobody likes the story. Nobody. Also, where are the Chozon? You know, the bird liek aliens that developed her suit which is the MOST ADVANCED PIECE OF PERSONAL MILLITARY HARDWARE IN THE GALAXY. I mean, Jesus the thing FUSES with the wearer, except for the carapace which is removable via command sequence for maitinance and repair. Anyway, how does somthing three centuries ahead of everyone else get taken out by one low powered shot to the back? This isn't even a space pirate level gun, and we know that Samus can take a ton of those. And why is she only NOW scared of Riddly whom she's killed officialy 17 times. And don't give us that childhood trauma crap, that would have been resolved in the first game timeline wise, which I think is still the origional for the NES even after all the inserts over the series.

Samus is a total badass with limited emotions. No seriously, she actually has limited emotions as she was trained for most of her life by her foster parents to suppress all emotion. She is a cold blooded mercenary killer for hire that none the less has a strict personal code that dictates what sort of jobs she'll take. i.e. she won't attack inocent people, but criminals are not only fair game, she'll even give a discount! Why would you take a tough as nails positive female empowerment rolemodle and suddenly make her a weepy, emotional mess that needs to be rescued, has 'dady' issues, and has her armor fall off? That's like depowering Wonder Woman....oh wait they tried that. It was an attempt to show that women didn't need super powers to be powerful. Curious about how well that worked out? It took less than a year to change back due to accusations of sexism to have depowered the only well known major female hero, and whats more ironic is that the public felt that it had the oposite message, that even the best amoung women would never have a chance to meassure up to males. I can see if they were trying to make Samus more sympathetic and relateable, but they flubbed it on such a massive scale I'm not even going to give them a chance to repent.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to go pee through their mail slot. And by that, I mean throw a letter bomb in there. And by letter bomb I mean you might want to avoid that city for the next fifteen to twenty years, depending on how long it takes the radiation to fade.

I'm grateful for the painfully bad Other M ads online; from the second I saw one I knew this would be a game to avoid.

Moviebob:
Look, I appreciate and am grateful for people posting and linking the show throughout the web, but can I ask a small favor?

When you do, can we maybe NOT do it as part of an "eff you!" or "your opinion is WRONG, here's the RIGHT one!" thing on a forum or talkback or whatever? I appreciate the passion and enthusiasm, but when the show - and, by extension, *I* - get used in such a way, it reflects bad on the show and reflects bad on me. Y'know?

Especially since, regarding the "Other M" episode... I wasn't looking to "refute" or "take-down" any other game critic or site; mainly just respond to recurring message-board trolling and memes.

So... by all means, re-post... but let's all have some tact, eh? ;)

SO DECREES THE GAME OVERTHINKER!

I myself would still like to see a battle of the death between Yahtzee and Moviebob over this, but que sera sera.

One of the funniest reviews in a while.

Holy Shit! I didn't think you would beat this one to death. You literally threw it to the ground and stepped on it's face, and I loved every second of it.

I already knew giving her a voice wouldn't work out well and I was against it in the first place because the original Samus was practically perfect. You don't change something that's pretty much perfect, the games were amazing as well. All they have to do is improve the game play with the new technology and that's it.

Car door? Ooh-er!

honestly one of the worst videos he's ever done, on par with Brawl, the jokes aren't funny, again I disagree with him and he is beating on the dead horse that both me and http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid wish people would stop beating.

Recipe for a terrible ZP.

I feel sorry for Yahtzee seeing what he has to play.

Thank you for summing up my feelings exactly. Particularly the fact that it's RIDLEY who she freaks out over. If they made it Mother Brain then that would at least be within sight of believable. In sight through a long range scope, but still, a hell of a lot closer than her freaking out over everyone's favorite pterodactyl.

Then again maybe Samus just read all the Ridley/Samus fanfiction out there. Rule 34 ahoy!

A special episode? My guess is that it's Halo: Reach, or a video pertaining to Mogworld.

MasochisticMuse:

Zolem:
Sexism Rant Snip

Lol thank you for this rant, that's exactly how I feel. Samus was the only female protagonist that didn't wait around to be saved by men or run around with half her clothes off, and now they've totally ruined it. You know how hard it is to find positive female characters in games? Most of the ones I can think of are only good because they're customizable characters that were basically written as male (eg, Shepard in Mass Effect).

Not to mention it also addresses my major gripe with this version of Samus. Where in being raised and spliced with an alien species to be a bad-ass weapon equal relateable to a normal person in any way? I think being raised by another species with no human contact for years alone should make you a complete freak emotionally and thinking wise.

Nice Tugs reference there Yahtzee. I can guarantee no one will pick that one up.

Legend of J:

se7ensenses:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.

And it still sells lol. I don't own a wii but theres 2 in my house .

Everybody else- making the same shooting game with variations in setting for all eternity.

2 days from now eh? Isn't that around when Dead Rising 2 comes out? *Wink wink nudge nudge*

Anyway, I knew it would fail with the fact that Samus's speech in the commercial didn't seem so interesting and was bland. Not only that but why change a good thing? It wasn't needed to make it 3rd Person. 1st person was just find, if you have half a cake you might as well eat it instead of jumping madly on it in front of a bunch of starving Africans.

Adzma:
Nice Tugs reference there Yahtzee. I can guarantee no one will pick that one up.

I guess that officially makes you no one then, eh?

Eh?

Syntax Man:
honestly one of the worst videos he's ever done, on par with Brawl, the jokes aren't funny, again I disagree with him and he is beating on the dead horse that both me and http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid wish people would stop beating.

Recipe for a terrible ZP.

Sorry, party is over, you are 12 pages too late.

BlueInkAlchemist:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing.

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

its just you, ive played the game and its utter shit.
Seriously making samus an almost cliche submissive moron was the wrong way to go, if you have played any of the other games at any point in your life than give this a try you'll realise it immediately. Yahtzee was bang on with this review, team ninja should have stuck to churning out dead or alive games.

It's strange- flogging a dead horse is never good, but Nintendo took the one franchise that they WEREN'T remaking for 20 years and changed it BACK to the retro shit that it was before the "Prime" series. Fucking idiots.

Also, it's nice to see Yahtzee actually talking about the content of the game for a majority of the video. He's been doing it for, say, a month, but I was holding my breath in case he went back to the annoying "talk about shit for the first minute" tendency.

Good video.

haha loved it! its so true what he said about her voice and all. it really sucks they gave her a voice :( they couldve at least had the decency to get a voice actor that wasnt half shit...

Yatzhee hating a Wii game?

In other news, water is wet. More at 6

Aaaand in all these pages you see what everyone has been saying all this time. NEVER listen to the fans. You see worshippers adore the game and chastising everyone else, while the people who really loved the past games, as well as the "potential" new audience it was supposed to have are giving it the finger it deserves. I loved Metroid, but this one has failed on so many levels it's sad.

Sadly, Sakamoto does not seem fazed by the fact his game bombedand as long as he reamains at the helm, Metroid will be going in the gutter. Someone need to tell him his "creative visions" aren't what people want. What people want is a good GAME, he can keep his wet fantasies about Samus in his head.

I didn't even know Yahtzee liked Metroid. Perhaps I should have. Either way, we've got him, Spoony, and probably plenty of other reviewers disliking this game for the same reasons.

When will certain denizens of Internet culture wake up and realise critics often do know what they're talking about?

MasterV:
Aaaand in all these pages you see what everyone has been saying all this time. NEVER listen to the fans.

My god, yes. If it were left up to the fans, we'd all still be feeding quarters to the Pac-Man machine. And when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing no one, so design-by-committee doesn't help either.

You see worshippers adore the game and chastising everyone else, while the people who really loved the past games, as well as the "potential" new audience it was supposed to have are giving it the finger it deserves. I loved Metroid, but this one has failed on so many levels it's sad.

Sadly, Sakamoto does not seem fazed by the fact his game bombedand as long as he reamains at the helm, Metroid will be going in the gutter. Someone need to tell him his "creative visions" aren't what people want. What people want is a good GAME, he can keep his wet fantasies about Samus in his head.

THIS this this this this.

This is one of those games I relish in people bashing because I've had people tell me how good the game's writing is and I just wanted to smack them. Even worse is Samus pretty much underwent complete character assassination. Would of been nice to see Team Ninja not destroy the character of one of gaming's most famous women...

I didn't mind the gameplay that much though. Transition from third to first is a bit clunky though.

Aiddon:

Like Bob said, I think this game has revealed some VERY troubling ideas of what a lot of gamers and even game critics/commentators ACTUALLY think about gender in gaming. Samus doesn't present herself as Gordon Freeman with boobs nor is she a Commander Shepard who, let's face facts, is a Gary Stu/Mary Sue in EVERY sense of the term. She instead is portrayed as a troubled soul who has all kinds of insecurities, doubts, and fears and despite (and indeed possibly BECAUSE of those) she overcomes her adversities and grows. I can't really name a LOT of heroines in gaming that have been portrayed like that, especially in recent memory.

Your logic would have been sound if the game had been an origin story. With that I mean, we have Samus right before she became a bounty hunter, still in the military, all green and full of insecurities. There the setting with some better writting would have shined. Now Adam autorizing makes all the sense in the world and furing the game she starts seeing that military life isn't for her, learns to be more independent and grows in the process. Hell, She blacking out at seeing Ridley would make all the sense in the world if it was the first time she met with him.

The thing is they didn't do this, they decided to set the game after she has had at the very least 6 games of kicking ass and taking names cronologically. She is a tempered war veteran that has gone to hell and back. You cannot have a veteran blacking out like a pussy, Markus doesn't flinch, Solid Snake doesn't flinch, Samus shouldn't flinch, simple as that. There is also no reason why her judgement should be clouded by Adam being there at that stage in her life, she wants her varia suit, she activates her damn varia suit and fuck Adam, simple as that. Why? Because she has been going solo for years at that stage in her life and probably hasn't seen Adam in an assload of time, when you have all that field experience, you tend to do things your way and oppose anything you consider pointless or risky, rank be dammed.

Thing is, Samus has been pussified to epic proportions. Like I already stated, had this taken place during her military years, it would have been perfect with some tweaking and a voice actor that wasn't dead inside, but with the current setting, it was set to be a plot disaster from the start, plain and simple. anobody defending this aberration of a plot either never played Metroid (no reason for you to have any preconcieved ideas) or is so much in denail that he can't admit the character has been downplpayed horribly.

Character depth and defects are OK, having them hamfisted on, specially when they shouldn't even be there or at least shouldn't pop up in the middle of a mission because of being a tempered war vet, not so much.

epsilon246:

GloatingSwine:

epsilon246:

The point is Samus believed he was gone without a trace (to be fair his remains were on zebes when it went boom) his apearance so she was caught off guard by his appearance.

He was gone without a trace after Prime 3. He still came back.

Also, I've already addressed her previous reaction to Surprise Ridley, she started shooting him.

The space pirates were still around to revive him after prime, they wern't after super metroid
I don't think you get what ptsd is, and she was never caught of guard in the prime games and in previous encounters there wasn't really the technoligy to show it was there?

If you actually believe this, then you are more of a tool than you think. First time sure, second, I can understand it. Having handed his ass on a regular basis AND another situation where she started shooting the hell out of him the moment he came in, a mental block is horrible writting and missing the power of your own character in a single swoop.

Brian Blessed in every game, ever. Needs to be in CoD. All of zem. The loudest man in history.

Jark:
Any ideas as to what the "Special Episode" mentioned at the very end will be centered around?

Are you being sarcastic or do you actually want to know?

If you actually want to know its probably... Reach.

Sooo Other M is bad. Great. Thanks Team Ninja. 'Preciate it.

Sooooo... he liked it then I take? xD

I bought this game on the day it came out and cashed it in for $40 48 hours later. I played the game in it's entirely and was outright disgusted with everything except for the 3rd person controls. I still own a copy of every other Metroid game including Hunters and Pinball except this one, that's how bad this game is.

Fantastic! I really start to wonder about Nintendo and how many more ways they can muck up their franchises. I wonder about that almost as much as I wonder about the fan-boys who are going to take real exception to this review. Reading all the posts later on today is gonna be a hoot. =D

Unbelievable... people are actually not taking Yahtzee's reviews at face-value and letting it dictate whether or not they buy a game? Don't any of you remember the SSBB Mailbag Showdown? o__O'

On a more relevant note, this was fucking hilarious. I almost hit the floor when the monologue came up. XD

LOL spot on as always, Yahtzee.

I do find it hard to believe for someone such as Samus' standards to completely breakdown at the sight of Ridley(AGAIN! for like the 4th fudging time). Jesus Team Ninja sure knows how to screw over Female character roles.....no pun intended

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here