Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

Snake Plissken:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker.

The murder-mystery subplot WAS resolved. You come across the guy wearing the glasses after he's been killed by a metroid, and since he was the last guy remaining, he was the traitor. That doesn't really matter, though, because none of the characters except for Adam and Anthony even REMOTELY mattered.

I had fun playing the game, but I do pretend that this was just some idiot's fantasy. The game destroyed Samus as a character, making her some weak-willed pathetic little girl. That, and why would Nightmare be on this ship AND the one in Metroid: Fusion? Lastly, the fact that the Galactic Federation was creating metroids in Metroid: Fusion was a huge plot point. If they were making metroids on the bottle ship, AND on the ship in Metroid: Fusion, then how many more metroids are on how many more ships?

Thank you, Yahtzee, for hammering down this game in the most cynical way possible. I also thought that this game was a huge pile of "meh" for a lot of the exact same reasons.

The combat was kind of fun for awhile, though.

And now I do want to play Metroid Prime again.

I love how this review turned out to be the EXACT opposite of what MovieBob said.

This desperately needed to happen.

Great review. This game was awful compared to the Metroid Prime series.

You know, the funniest thing, IMO, is that Team Ninja always claims that they develop their games specifically for western audiences. It reminds me of when Yahtzee claimed it seemed like a developer (a Japanese one no less) got everything they know about Western Audiences from the tourist locked in their basement.

It's becomes obvious that their "market research" is nothing more than social stereotyping (and a little bit of ethnic prejudice) when you compare their games to western developed games. You know, games developed be people who actually are western and therefore understand western audiences better. Their games are way too over the top and full of Big-titted women.

And now Metroid arrives to further prove the point. They turn a previously strong and independent female character into a whiny little school girl.

Go Team Reta- wait, that's not PC.

ummm... booo...

Oh man, Yahtzee. You really nailed it right on the mark. You brought up everything that I thought about the game as well, and then some. This is probably the funniest review I've seen (because it's so true).

Tharticus:

I'm glad that Spoony and Sean Malstrom hated other M. And like Spoony said, I don't think Metroid series will survive after this.

Sean Malstrom is an idiot strawman with only illogical hatred for the world around him who claims to know what makes Metroid good even if he has bashed Zero Mission, Fusion and Super Metroid in the most illogical way possible. Also, he thinks "Metroid should be a trippy game where you kill Metroids!"
Also, even if he has a point here and there, he is a horribly boring writer. Don't give this man any more attention.

And while I really like Spoony because he is funny and one of the most entertaining web reviewers, he didn't even play the game through and really overreacted.

I don't mind people hating on Other M, but at least do it with some actual reasoning.

BlueInkAlchemist:

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

Oh, I know! Let's make a game where the main character completely ignores any input from the player! That will make the character more independent. I think I saw that once... oh yeah, it's called a movie.

OuendanCyrus:
So I'm not the only one who thought the writing is terrible.

Did you honestly think you were? Have you even been paying attention to anything written about the game on this site (articles OR forums) for the past month?

If I said I was the only one who thought the game was GOOD, at least I'd have some justification for saying so.

hilarious:
Spoiler:
NNNIIIIIIIIIINNNNNEEEEE!!!

BlueInkAlchemist:

Snake Plissken:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're mad about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.

esperandote:
"Check out my screw attack"?.... I didn't get it but i think it was a shot to the guys on gametrailers.

It's not on slam on anyone. I got the joke and it's pretty much trademark Yahtzee.

That spaceship early on came from a development screenshot of an open source game called Vegastrike, I'm amazed it ended up in a yahtzee review. That's pretty cool. If anyone's interested, the thread is here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15345

Yes: it starts off looking nothing like that, i know. But check out somewhere around page 10 or onwards, and you'll see what I mean. Nice going.

Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?

It seems that this whole game got fucked over by the fact that is was allowed to be done by the guys who bought you "Oh, jiggle physics, I bet the pathetic worms who live in their mothers basement and wank to anime every five fucking seconds, will lap this shit up!", rather than a competent developer, or maybe just one who's ethos doesn't begin and end with "OH TITS LOL!".

Grayfayce:
Yeh, Metroid Prime 3 was much better.

But no Halo: Reach? Damn...

He always takes a few weeks to review a game, it's nothing new it's just how his schedule works.

Very good as usual.
He totally right also, that game was atrocious.

Team Ninja should NEVER be allowed to play with a good ip. The metroid prime series was fine. The reason Corruption didn't do as well is because they half assed it, dropped the difficulty, shortened it, and dropped out many of the puzzles.

Boaal:

Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?

Also, this game is ANYTHING but "the same game again and again". It's so different that if you'd slap another name and new characters, it'd be closer to "inspired by Metroid".

Huh. I'm curious as to the nature of this special friday ZP.

Maybe he's announcing his retirement or something.

I disagree with most of the gameplay complaints, but I found the review very funny anyway. I enjoyed your "robot voice" impression.

Wow, it is nice to see you complain about a game I have played and was very frustrated about. Seriously, all of your points struck me throughout the game.

Also, I think it was a bit stupid that whenever you died (and her armour fell off), Adam would go "Samus, what's going on? Respond! Respoooond!" as if they on purpose tried to rip off "Snake, snake snaaaake"

Jark:
Any ideas as to what the "Special Episode" mentioned at the very end will be centered around?

Yahtzee's review of Mogworld? Maybe the grand unveiling of Fun Space Game: The Game?

Nice to see Zero Punctuation shit all over Other M's hiderous story and voice acting. I mean everyone else on the interenet has done so already but I honestly can't get enough of it.

Give it back to Retro, they know what they're doing.

BigText:
The murder-mystery subplot WAS resolved. You come across the guy wearing the glasses after he's been killed by a metroid, and since he was the last guy remaining, he was the traitor. That doesn't really matter, though, because none of the characters except for Adam and Anthony even REMOTELY mattered.

I had fun playing the game, but I do pretend that this was just some idiot's fantasy. The game destroyed Samus as a character, making her some weak-willed pathetic little girl. That, and why would Nightmare be on this ship AND the one in Metroid: Fusion? Lastly, the fact that the Galactic Federation was creating metroids in Metroid: Fusion was a huge plot point. If they were making metroids on the bottle ship, AND on the ship in Metroid: Fusion, then how many more metroids are on how many more ships?

I'm guessing Yatzee - like me, forgot the name of every character except Anthony and Adam and thus did not bother to keep up with who was killed off along the way. Seriously, my response when I saw one dead was always "hey, one of those guys I don't care about was killed. Whatever!"

she was a strong independent woman since she was like the first woman in gaming that really kicked ass and chewed bubble gum along side the myriad of male characters, and in the course of one game they managed to destroy all of her cool factor. does not matter if your mind filled in the blanks, when the first metroid dropped, there were not many lead female characters period.

That was one of the funniest videos in a while. I was thinking of buying Other M because I loved Metroid Prime, but then I remembered that I've hated every other game Team Ninja has ever made and thought better of it.

WHAT? SAMUS IS A GIRL??????

okay, mandatory sarcasm over. They had to call it Metroid because the name is what sells the franchise. Even if the game's not as deep, the controls aren't as good, or the charatcers aren't as sensible, they can go "pssst...It's METROID!" And fanboys will line up by the thousands.

Sad, I was looking forward to this one...team ninja fail.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Snake Plissken:

Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.

Heh, pretty good... and though I usually take Yahtzee's reviews with a grain of salt, this just helps me justify not wasting $60 on Other M.

Also nice to hear praise for Prime, I've always wanted to know how he felt. ... Granted, this could just mean it doesn't suck as much as Other M, but I'm optimistic like that.

Flamma Man:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Snake Plissken:

Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're made about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.

I think Bob's point was that a lot of people might not be thinking of it as a "shitty personality" if they hadn't already been so determined to assign their own projected personality to her.

Onyx Oblivion:
Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was her call, not the call of the people making the game. I'm guessing she smelled something she didn't like and decided not to get her name attached to the project.

VGFreak1225:
For the record, I do hope every Metroid fan at least tries Other M, even if it's nothing more than a rental. It is definitely one of the most unique games you'll play all year, for better or for worse.

Not gunna happen. I have far better things to do with my time and money than to give a try to a game sports 0 appeal to me beyond the franchise it's attached to.

SpaceMedarotterX:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Snake Plissken:

Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.

Rule #1 of The Escapist: Anyone who likes anything I don't like is a fanboy.

I wonder what's he going to show on Friday. Maybe another googly eyes underwear dance, I would sure fap I mean fancy that!

Hah, fucking called it! I knew Yahtzee would see this game for the fetid piece of shit that it is.

If you want to give a formerly silent protagonist a voice, that's fine. If you want to give them a personality, even better. But when you give them the voice of a person with a golf club sticking through their head and the personality of some brooding, codependant cunt, don't hide behind the shield of 'but they never had a personality before!' because that doesn't stop those decisions from being stupid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here