Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Crono Maniac:
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Well, Moviebob likes it. At least someone's on my side.

Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

Jaredin:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh

Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.

And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out. I can't fathom how unimaginably difficult it must be to be a nintendo fan. Failure is staring them in the face with every game nintendo release.

BlueInkAlchemist:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing.

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

Remember folks, when everyone is making the same arguments against the game, that just makes them all the wrong-er. Bonus points for blurring the line between fantasy and reality by saying she's not been established as a bold, independent person because she's merely a puppet of the player. May as well have just said "I concede".

EDIT: Really though, despite his thankful harping on the story for over half the video, Yahtzee completely managed to downplay what a submissive, panicky, well... "chick" she became. So much for those of us who saw the Ellen Ripley expy in her from Day One. Hey, Ripley had a motherhood character arc too, didn't she? You'd almost think that's what the baby metroid was supposed to remind us of. (Naturally, that was handled better even without Samus talking.)

Motakikurushi:
And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out.

Lol no.
The majority of Reviewers like Other M.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m
And many people still do too.
And even with OM there are plenty of Amazing games keeping the Wii alive.
And there are plenty more coming out.

The Wii is far from dead IMO.
But..that is just my Opinion.

Nitrokitty:
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

JENNIFER MOTHER FUCKING HALE!

WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?

Yeah, I did saw this one coming. But Yahtzee gave it a very fair review, and I liked it a lot. Very funny, very enjoyable, good work man.

Also, should we be expecting a review of Metroid Prime when you run out of games to review in summer next year?

Last time that I can remember Brian Blessed in a video game was Viking: Battle for Asgard, which was apparent from the very start... no one can miss that booming voice.

Anyone who watches The Spoony Experiment, did you also feel the character of Samus had been "raped"?

I assumed the game wasn't named after anything in particular but rather Team Ninja trying to be clever again (Other M? M Other? Eh? Eh?)

Gigaguy64:

Jaredin:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh

Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.

If I remember correctly the same Sakamoto said in an interview that he was so moved by the game's story that he cried. I think we can remove him from the "knows quality" part of our Venn diagrams.

Great review.

Say, I wonder why Pokemon FireRed version was in that stack of games at the beginning. Especially since Portal was also in that pile.

Zeetchmen:

Nitrokitty:
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

JENNIFER MOTHER FUCKING HALE!

WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?

Yet another reason for me to never touch this game. (Coincidentally, I'm currently getting into Mass Effect- I bet Hale could have pulled Other M's script off, even if it is truly as bad as I've heard it is. Some fantastic work out of her :D)

... and yeah, after hearing some of the voice work? The little cries of pain we got in Prime far outstrip this... ... there's no word for it.

My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.

Zudarkness:
My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.

*facepalm*
Team Ninja had NOTHING TO DO with Samus as a character.
They only worked on her Design and the games 3d modeling.

Wanna blame someone?
Blame Nintendo, namely Sakamoto.

Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

AngelicSven:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.

No, I don't think they'll turn Link into Cloud.

Maybe if they made him like Zidane, but not Cloud.

Keep whoring out the MovieBob vid, peeps. The frist (second?) commenter demolished it completely and exposed it for what it was: weak straw men dressed up in pristine white knight armor.

this was really really funny :D

and quite informative as well

GloatingSwine:

epsilon246:
As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack.

Why should Samus possibly believe that Ridley is dead? She's beat his ass down four times now and yet he keeps coming back. It's more of a surprise when Ridley doesn't turn up yet again. Quite frankly by now it should be him that suffers PTSD. The Space Pirates are already piss scared of Samus and shit a collective brick whenever she shows up. (seen in the scannable logs in the Prime games)

He was on a planet WHEN IT BLEW UP! He was deader than dead by this point, he was only still alive through federation cloning.

AngelicSven:

Well he isnt Whiny and Emo....but he was given character...

Nomanslander:

Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.

Aiddon:

epsilon246:
The stronger emphasis on story was done to appeal to Japanese gamers, thus has Japanese ethics. Samus' respect for Adam comes from the Japanese having a lot of respect for their elders. Her dogged devotion to him is ordinary by Japanese standards, where devotion to your superiors is a fact of life. Calling the game out on these is culturally insensitive.
On a side note; it has been established that Samus was mentally traumatised as a child, given what happened to her why is anyone surprised she has issues?
With reference to the Ridley scene, Samus has ptsd related to Ridley. As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack. An attack that is actually a fairly accurate presentation of ptsd. Personally I believe calling this out to be extremely insensitive to real people in real combat situations with ptsd.
I enjoyed playing this game and I agree that Samus' voice actor was wooden as all heck, but it was still fun to play.

I don't think it was actually designed to appeal specifically to the Japanese as Nintendo has never really been about keeping things to one culture. However, as the writer for the game WAS Sakamoto, let's face it, people from Japan are going to write in a way synonymous with Japanese culture as it's JUST HOW THEY ARE. I am getting more than a little sick of comments about the Japanese; it's starting to get outright RACIST.

And another thing I'd like to bring up is military protocol. Yeah, Samus may not be part of the army anymore, but the GF has jurisdiction over the Bottle Ship and they have EVERY right to refuse her access if they see fit. Adam allows her to participate as long as she follows orders which SOLDIERS HAVE TO DO. When you're in the armed forces you obey your CO, you carry out orders, and you don't make your problems the problems of others.

I forget were I read it but the story really was trying to appeal to japanese gamers who tendprefer story heavy linear games more to open sandboxes and mission based shooters we westerners tend to prefer.

As for your second comment you raise some good points. Though I'd like to add that Adam is Samus's client; Samus is obeying the wishes of her client, like a profecional should

Brian Blessed 4tw!

Oh yeah, I'm avoiding this game at all costs

luckey:
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

Oh, you mean the argument that attempts to validate a bullshit fan theory of Samus having post traumatic stress disorder? So I guess you'd prefer excusing away bad writing than holding the shit writer accountable for it?

Thanks for not having a spine, kiddo.

CriticalQuit:

AngelicSven:

Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64:

AngelicSven:

Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/

Very hilarious review. But it also makes me sad because for a while there all the promos actually made me want to play Other M. Now that I know they've prettymuch turned Samus into a superficial female game heroine, I'll be saving my dollars for sure.

This review returned my thoughts to the query:

When did female protagonists get trendy in games [or all mass media for that matter]?

Productions like this are making it awfully cliche. With the two sides of the scale being 'Normal person who happens to be female' and Paris Hilton, I for one prefer the former.

epsilon246:

He was on a planet WHEN IT BLEW UP! He was deader than dead by this point, he was only still alive through federation cloning.

Which differs from all the other times he's been dead only in a trifling matter of degrees. In most Metroid games he explodes, in Prime 3 he is actually completely disintegrated, and he still comes back for Super Metroid.

AngelicSven:

CriticalQuit:

AngelicSven:

Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64:

AngelicSven:

Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/

lol, this isn't Zelda 2 BTW.
Its the CDi Zeldas, the Wand of Gamalon and The Faces of Evil.
And they both suck......HORRIBLY.

I actually enjoyed Zelda 2.
It tried something different with the gameplay, didn't work that well but i still had fun...somewhat.
Zelda is just one of those series that works best the original way.
But you haft to Admit, the CDi Zeldas did give us one good thing.
MAH BOII!

CynicalMarcus:

luckey:
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one

Oh, you mean the argument that attempts to validate a bullshit fan theory of Samus having post traumatic stress disorder? So I guess you'd prefer excusing away bad writing than holding the shit writer accountable for it?

And thank you for reminding me why I constantly bitch about Yahtzee to begin with: Because he spawns more soulless douchebags like you.

Very hilarious review. But it also makes me sad because for a while there all the promos actually made me want to play Other M. Now that I know they've prettymuch turned Samus into a superficial female game heroine, I'll be saving my dollars for sure.

Yes because you have to let some drunken son of a bitch tell you what to play. How about you go out and rent the game and try it for yourself before you decide Yahtzee's always right. All this is doing is reinforcing my point of why Yahtzee's fanbase can blow me.

Lordofthesuplex:
If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.

Riiiiight...

So you'd label yahtzee as non-human for following other peoples opinion? Well if everyone is singing the same tune, then sorry chief, but the music is not the issue. Samus has had a major character change, and people aren't content with the direction she was taken in, end off. For all your swearing, it won't change whats happened. Also, whilst I agree that yahtzee is more of the comedian, rather then the reviewer, the kind of anger and hate your showing is not going to help you make your point.

Onyx Oblivion:

She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.

Wh-aaaaaaaaaaaat? ;_;

They could've had her be voiced by Jennifer Hale and didn't?

She must have read the script and bailed. Through a plate glass window. While on fire.

One of the best ZPs in a while. Also amazon.com finally decided to do their job, I just finished reading the first 100 pages of Mogworld. Everyone should read it.

epsilon246:

I forget were I read it but the story really was trying to appeal to japanese gamers who tend to prefer story heavy linear games more to open sandboxes and mission based shooters we westerners tend to prefer.

As for your second comment you raise some good points. Though I'd like to add that Adam is Samus's client; Samus is obeying the wishes of her client, like a profecional should

I suppose that IS true about the Japanese, but that's the first time I heard about that. Plus Sakamoto said in a recent Gamespot interview that he wasn't trying to be explicitly Japanese.

THAT'S the thing bugs me the most about Samus' so-called "submissiveness" being a negative trait. Yeah she's being submissive, but how is that a BAD thing? All soldiers have to submit to authority and so do all professionals. It's not like she's being meek. Plus butting heads with Adam would just muck up the mission for no reason other than to placate one's ego.

Optimystic:

Onyx Oblivion:

She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.

Wh-aaaaaaaaaaaat? ;_;

They could've had her be voiced by Jennifer Hale and didn't?

She must have read the script and bailed. Through a plate glass window. While on fire.

I don't think so...I think they CHOSE not to use her, if my memory is correct.

Lordofthesuplex:

CynicalMarcus:

luckey:

And thank you for reminding me why I constantly bitch about Yahtzee to begin with: Because he spawns more soulless douchebags like you.

I'm soulless for calling shit writing out as shit writing? I never even MENTIONED Croshaw, and this is the first time I've posted in the ZP area. Feel free to take that baseless assumption and cram it, kiddo.

Fact of the matter is that Bob Chipman is a biased individual. A glorified console fanboy. He took an otherwise excellent show in The Game Overthinker, and the minute he went to Screwattack turned it into a show about pandering to the obsessive retro gamers. The entire episode of Heavens to Metroid is essentially the diatribe of a man who is staunchly defending a game that he knows has a crappy story because he enjoys the gameplay, and feels the need to defend Nintendo.

News flash: Nintendo doesn't need defending. They've made dozens of classic games that we've all enjoyed, but they need to be held accountable for their mistakes. Right and wrong do exist, and there are no sacred cows. You need to grow a spine too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here