Escapist News Network: West Washing

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

West Washing

When Eastern developers make their games appeal to "The West", everyone loses.

Watch Video

jello with buttons for eyes. hahaha!

i could not believe the stupidity of the Mario re release as well when i first heard it.

Great ENN! :)

Beef certainly makes everything more believable, its a scientific fact... or something.

...way to go and cash in nintendo!!

And does feel like Japan is going alot more with western designs...loved the feature article on it...especilly Quickbender XD

MS-Dos 6. Go back, watch it again, you'll see it. My computer doesn't even have a floppy drive anymore.

C:\Emotions\
run cry.bat

Hmmm, well, those games (Mario) are old enough where there are probably a lot of people in Generation Y who habven't played them, yet the basic genere remains popular as do the characters. I can see why they re-released it, even if it is pretty stupid.

As far as "West Washing" goes, I think rather than the "Jello" option what we're seeing is evidence that pre-defined characters should be a thing of the past as they cannot appeal to everyone. Games like "Saint's Row 2" have demonstrated that with current technology it's possible to give the player both a highly customizable Avatar to be the protaganist, but
also have multiple voice tracks that can be selected from for the cinematics and dialogue.

People like differant kinds of characters, the Eastern/Western thing is just one stylistic differance (dress, general body types and apperance, etc...) and to be honest I don't think the tastes are locked in regionally, despite where each "style" originated. There are plenty of people in the US and Europe who like the whole eastern style, anime, etc.. and plenty of people in Japan and China who like western artwork, comics, and stylings as well. We're actually in a time period where western and eastern styles have been influancing each other more than ever and creating a lot of hybrids.

I think the direction the game industry needs to go in is instead of giving you say "Samus" to play, letting you design your own bounty hunter that looks how you want, and can select a personality type (affecting how dialogue is read and comments made in game and such like in SR 2). Heck, 3D Dot Game Heroes has shown that this kind of thing is possible even for games with a retro or "cutesy" style though voicework wasn't as prominant a part of it.

Such are my thoughts. Also I feel that if we manage to stop the whole Scwartzneggar Vs. Free Speech thing, and ACTA hre in the US, and then get the current people in power out of power and hopefully see a return to more balanced politics, you'll see people doing a lot less messing around with games, since I think a lot of the "changes" people are noticing both in art styles, but character personalities, are in reaction to politics. The US representing the biggest game market at the moment. What's more if the US gets it's act together hre, I think a lot of the rest of the world with censorship problems can be "fixed". I think we're seeing a lot of the current social/speech related issues around the globe because people figure that if the US is going in these directions itself (which have been there for a while, creeping up, only to burst onto the scene due to some political aberrations) it's not like we can yell at them for violating human freedoms with a straight face.

Ah well, enough rambling.

Well I'm in favor of "West Washing". The East and the West have been influencing each other for generations, but the East still seems to make video games on completely different standards(and if not games, their characters).

There's nothing wrong with Japan's culture or Korea's MMOs, but I think that the silent majority is taking a stand against the weeaboos. World of Goo showed us that blobs do make effective characters if the plot stays simple, so maybe it's worth a try.

The question is, what changes (if any) will be made to female characters on a West-washed game?

Paul & Graham's reaction to the talk of a movie release of SC2 cutscenes was absolutely priceless. Paul's outrage, and Graham's stark expression (see what I did there?) of terror were just perfect. And I love the "evil porpoises" t-shirt. I loved those 3 seconds of footage so much, I watched 'em 5 times. XD
Replace characters with amorphous blobs of goo?? I wonder what Mr. Grey has to say about that...
Also, Kathleen *does* have a point: there's no way Mr. or Ms. Smith would survive a zombie apocalypse (I mean, I have no illusion on that point, I'd totally be scrambled brains on a zombie's menu).

Moriarty70:
MS-Dos 6. Go back, watch it again, you'll see it. My computer doesn't even have a floppy drive anymore.

C:\Emotions\
run cry.bat

ahhh, the good old days!
/nostalgia

Haha, proabaly one of my favorite EEN shows so far. Loved the alls stars bit. why not realse a compilation with all the SNES games and Mario 64?I mean where the hell is paper mario even? They have what... 9GB to play with on a regular dual-layer DVD? They could make a great aneverary edition with a bonus DVD with documentaries, specials, maybe even package in a poster or limited edition art cards, a soundtrack all that good stuff. Make it an EVENT.

Okay, this one was actually funny. Nice.

Hey! My cousin is a blob, and he was offended!
In all seriousness, this trend will have positive and negative effects, so all we can do is just hope the good outweighs the bad.
Also, I love you, Nintendo, but SERIOUSLY?

Have to say, I LOVED All Stars.

Great ENN, as always.

sooperman:
Well I'm in favor of "West Washing". The East and the West have been influencing each other for generations, but the East still seems to make video games on completely different standards(and if not games, their characters).

There's nothing wrong with Japan's culture or Korea's MMOs, but I think that the silent majority is taking a stand against the weeaboos. World of Goo showed us that blobs do make effective characters if the plot stays simple, so maybe it's worth a try.

Fully agree with this.

Kathleen makes a very good point at the end! XD

also <3 cutting off matt's rant on Reach XD

The Unskippable part had me ROFLing. Awesome episode, I enjoyed it very much!

When the credits started, an ice cream van went past my room playing music. It terrified me as It sounded like the sound bite when the blob spoke. I genuinly thought the blob was going to attack. I was deeply terrified.

Well done for making a 21 year old terrified of a plate of jelly :)

Lol, MS-DOS 6 as a prop. :D

"Does this look like a girl to you?"

ROFLMAO, that was great!

First time we discover the Unskippable Secret Room of Doom !

I'm actually hoping for the middle ground. I prefer protagonists of moderate or athletic build to either the waifs or the linebackers. I especially prefer protagonists who act like they have brains once in a while instead of always being one of the four flavours of stupid: angsty, stoic, douchebag or snarky.

First time we discover the Unskippable Secret Room of Doom !

Great episode, it highlights the main issue within videogaming: Nobody thinks of the amorphous blobs anymore. :<

Also, did Graham's head freak out or something in the end credits scene? Tried to edit that away all sneaky like, huh?

Yes, the joy of Geometry Wars is universal.

sooperman:
but I think that the silent majority is taking a stand against the weeaboos.

just curious define weeaboos

"No"
"EXACTLY."

That had me laughing far more than it should. Great episode, as usual :)

Ah the Unskippable desk was priceless. I don't thing I've ever laughed at anything in ENN this hard in a long time.

I vote for Blobby to become a full newcaster!

Loved the Unskippable (behind the) scene

No! Graham! Paul! Life is worth living!

Also, Screw Nintendo.

This was by far the funniest episode in weeks. I don't really mind them giving these games to western developers, especially since Castlevania has had it's share of buff, leather-clad protagonists in the old games and DMC was so heavily influenced by western culture to begin with (although, honestly, I only liked the first one) and it's not like they made Dante look like the dudes from GoW (either one). I think the worst example is probably Front Mission Evolved, but what wrecks that is really the writing, which was handled by the Japanese (Front Mission always had by far the best writing of any Square Enix series), and not the gameplay (which is mostly just "meh"). Honestly, we get enough bad games from both sides of the Pacific that I can't see this changing much. Besides which, most of Japan's good character designers don't even work in video games.

DO NOT ANGER THE MIGHTY JELLO!
Actually, it we're talking about the new Dante, then... Yeah, kinda.
Ironic that he looked more masculine in tight leather and white hair.

Oh wait he also had this...

"WHAT?!?

NOOO, that makes it WORSE!"

ROFL, didn't see that coming

I wander how happy The Escapist's very own Sophisticated Amorphous Blob will be about this... XD

Wow, the Unskippable thing made me laugh, all it needed was Graham to hand it over to Graham rather than Kathleen and it would have been perfect.

Good episode today, many LOL's to go around.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here