Escapist News Network: West Washing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

OtherSideofSky:
(although, honestly, I only liked the first one)

youre kidding right? not only was the combat garbage in that game, the voice acting was laughable, and it didnt really have any interesting characters. dante finally became truly cool in the third one, which is also when the gameplay became great, and the story telling started to not suck.

all this was then perfected in the 4th one (along with the inclusion of nero who, while not in dantes league of awesomeness, is not as fail as so many people would have you believe).

one was mediocre, two is the child locked in the basement.

5 could be good. itll be different, but it might not suck.

ravensshade:

sooperman:
but I think that the silent majority is taking a stand against the weeaboos.

just curious define weeaboos

It's like Japanophile, or Wapanese.

yay for Blobby XD
also, I now want 'Yakuza of the end' :P

This is the best ENN so far. The unskippable desk, graham holding a gun to his head, the googly eye'd jello. Gold.

I loved the offended jello and the quick cut to the "Unskippable desk". To the guy against "West washing" though, you do realize that a character that's supposed to be a man not looking like a woman is a GOOD thing, right?

Moriarty70:
MS-Dos 6. Go back, watch it again, you'll see it. My computer doesn't even have a floppy drive anymore.

C:\Emotions\
run cry.bat

No need, I saw it the first time.

all I wanna comment on is the last line...the Yakuza would be more likely to survive Z-day

sooperman:

ravensshade:

sooperman:
but I think that the silent majority is taking a stand against the weeaboos.

just curious define weeaboos

It's like Japanophile, or Wapanese.

i know that much but define the extent of it since only those extreme cases of it annoy me
for example does saying prefering anime and manga&music over western series,comics and music make you (in your opinion) a weeaboo?
if your awnser is yes IMO that's not a weeaboo

I hate what they did to the Devil May Cry series so for me it's over ... Perhaps watch some reviews when it comes out but I doubt they will change my mind...
It seems this is what happens when people complain too much...I don't think it's even because of the 4th games financial success since they sold 2.2 million copies in the first weeks...It was all because of the flame about Nero being soo baad ... well here's Dante back for you ... I'm wondering how much people regret there comments now ... I mean come on, half of the game you played as Dante - you can't even say you missed him so much and want him back ...

Oh well, I'm saving my money for Castlevania because it looks awesome and hopefully is a great game. (The only thing I am worried about are control issues )

ravensshade:

i know that much but define the extent of it since only those extreme cases of it annoy me
for example does saying prefering anime and manga&music over western series,comics and music make you (in your opinion) a weeaboo?
if your awnser is yes IMO that's not a weeaboo

The way I see it, you are a weeaboo if you prefer the Japanese culture over your own. If you prefer the music, the comics, the food, the clothes, or any of that, that's fine, I don't mind. But do not bother me about it and don't announce it to the Internet.

If you listen to the music, read their comics, or that sort of thing more than you do our own, you are a weeaboo. That's my definition, feel free to disagree.

No, don't kill the Unskippable desk with THAT MUCH game footage!

Anyway, this video mentioned the changes to Nier. Nier was always the same design, it wasn't localized for the west... another more anime teen style was in Japan along with the original. If anything it's Japan that localized it despite being their own creation.

A few things: Goddammit Nintendo, I already own all starts. I don't want to buy it again.
Deadrising 2 is going to ruin my life, but if what is said about Yakuza is true, sounds awesome!
And three: I also find Reach incredibly hard, taking an hour and a half or so per level.

"I mean just look at the character for the new Castlevania. Does he look like a girl?"
"-No."
"My point exactly".

Rolling on the floor laughing. No joke.

"Wont offend anyone."(Shown: Spinning Swastikas)
epic

Great episode. The amorphous blob and the cut to the Unskippable desk were both excellent. Keep up the good work!

Okay, that was funny. "That makes it worse!" :gun to head:

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who kept looping 0:23 to make Kathleen say "Bzz" over and over again. Right?

PayneTrayne:
A few things: Goddammit Nintendo, I already own all starts. I don't want to buy it again.

...then, y'know... don't.

Pretty sure it's not mandatory.

McMarbles:

PayneTrayne:

Article 17, Section 3 of the Fanboy Code of Conduct: "All fanboys MUST buy any and all game consoles, games, proliferies, remakes, reiterations, re-releases, series reboots, squeals, and prequeals released by Nintendo."

I guess you have to. It's the law.

I lol'd at quickbender's voice being cut off while he explains how Halo: Reach on legendary kicked his ass :P

Matt's reaction face to the blob was probably the best part of the episode.
I also really like "Does this look like a girl to you?" Me and Jeremy: "No?" "Exactly." Good one guys!
One question though: Why buttons?

I saw the new Dante a few days ago... I don't think i'll stop raging until long after i've beaten the game

Pinstar:
The question is, what changes (if any) will be made to female characters on a West-washed game?

Smaller boobies?

OT: Wow, i hadn't heard about that Mario thing... I usualy get behind what Nintendo says, but... wow.

haha!
Good ole Paul... he's not in ENN enough these days.
I loved the episode- especially the "I'M OFFENDED" from the amorphous blob of green goo :P

Jeremy's look of utter confusion is brilliant!

McMarbles:

PayneTrayne:

My message was poorly conveyed. I meant that as a form of criticism so as to inspire some new work.

Great episode. I loved Matt's muted Halo rant. The arm flailing said it all.

Was anyone associated actually in Cambridge?
I presume not, given that Jer claims to be lots of places in ENN, and if he were actually everywhere he claimed, you guys would be broke from plane expenses, but maybe Cameron actually was at Harvard?

Also, Graham's head appears to jump as he says "What?" to Kathleen in the credits roll. Is this MPEG v4 failing at motion detection, or some sneaky editing?

I think the Bee joke was targeted at Shamus, but I could be wrong

"I'M OFFENDED!!!"

Oh god...Blobby the Amorphous Blob is gonna give me nightmares now!

So this Japanese Mario 25th Anniversary collection for the Wii is just Super Mario All-Stars....

The self-same 4-game collection from 1993... and no other Mario games....

Okay. My head hurts.

I'm firmly against westwashing, it only feels to me like japan is dumbing down the characters to please the western audience,
even though is not, but if this happens the whole media is gonna encounter a bunch generic muscle-men mostly adults in their genres, (though admittedly same stereotype applies to the east, with the pretty boys with huge swords) ..but at least in the east lately that very same stereotype is now mocked by the japanese themselves, in recent J-games there has rarely been an actual character that follows the "cloud" archetype nowadays, unless is for intended self mockery.
now i dont think i fall withing the whole weeboo crap, since i do love western comics as much as japanese ones, but i think that both styles are great but i think that both should really stay within their own space. i feel is abit unfair for the japanese artists, per say that designed Nier, and having to have their artistic ideas changed.

Did that PSP2 thing really happen? Wow, that's one big slip-up! How do you even do that unintentionally in an official statement for the press?

Apple conference:
"Und viss ze new iPhone, ve vill inklude a device dat vill sterilize the impure races, so dat ve kan rule the planet und rename it Apple. Our vorld konkvest vill be glorious."
"Could you repeat that, please?"
"Oopz. Nossing, I said nossing."

LOL the Unskippable scene...so quick but I had to rewatch it. too funny =)

and while I won't argue with Western gamers sucking more, I think one can be forgiven for finding Halo Reach on Legendary to be a tad bit erm difficult

"What!? No, that makes it worse!"
I <3 Paul.. That's right, I'm man enough to say it!

I.. I've already ranted about why JRPG vs. WRPG is stupid and petty way too many times only to do it more. So I'll pass on that one.

Also, did anyone else notice Graham's head go "HFBABDHJ!?" in the end credits when Kathleen said Yakuza is set in a zombie apocalypse, then Graham says "What?" Whether it's intentional or not, well played. It works well!

Morden2260:
Great episode. I loved Matt's muted Halo rant. The arm flailing said it all.

Y'know, it's even funnier knowing that it's true and Matt really was crazy-go-nuts about it. It was awesome.

LOL this is one of the best episodes of ENN you've done in a while. Maybe it's because I should be asleep instead of watching this, but I loved it! The special segment wasn't that long and was definitely funny, and there were alot of regular reports too.

I have to say that I'm VERY irritated with the "West Washing" of DMC. There is more to the character then just his hair, but seriously the game doesn't need a reboot. I'll still probably play it,but I can't accept it as an actual Devil May Cry game. Also, you can say what you want about us sucking at video games, but I can kick your butt in Street Fighter :P.

MattAn24:

Also, did anyone else notice Graham's head go "HFBABDHJ!?" in the end credits when Kathleen said Yakuza is set in a zombie apocalypse, then Graham says "What?" Whether it's intentional or not, well played. It works well!

[/quote]

Yeah I noticed this as well. I figured there was a reason for it beyond just being silly,lol.

The only thing I probably will like about the new Matthew "Dante" Patel is the swords. Everything else I most likely will hate very much. I remember my first experience with West Washing with Tenchu Stealth Assassins for PSOne. One of the enemies you face off against is a woman guarding the gate with what looks like a giant Naginata and in the Japanese version its a little girl. Every controller purchased should come with shock absorption pads because of Halo anything on Legendary.

Jeremy needs a new tie IMO. Or an iron...or both.

Well hell, it worked for Konami. Look at Big Boss, the ultimate Western Patriot... solid beef, strategic war hero, smokes cigars, rugged and studly.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here