273: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Landslide:
Does anyone else feel apathetic to this plight? I embrace digital delivery. Movies, music, television, books and games. I use Amazon, Steam, Direct2Drive, Hulu, my Kindle, Netflix and iTunes extensively. The only time I buy the physical version of anything anymore is when I simply cannot find it available to purchase online, or if I want a full Blu-Ray of something. I actually get really irritated when I need the physical copy too. I don't want discs laying around, crumpled DVD sleeves, broken XBOX 360 cases, ads sheets, fliers, guest pass cards and old books lying around - or piled in neat stacks in shelves, boxes or bins.

I find the idea of having to go out to buy any kind of information-based media completely anachronistic and a waste of gasoline, plastic, paper, retail space and time.

I feel the same man, if I could buy a copy of Dead Rising 2 right now, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Moreover, I'd LOVE a digital game rental service for my Xbox/Wii/PS3 as well. Maybe Gamefly could land some kind of deal with Xbox at some point and help pioneer such a service.

I can dream, can't I?

But I think retailers are doing everything in their power to prevent such things from happening, as places like gamestop would be reduced to nothingness.

However, physical copies of guides I would never want to go the way of digital downloads and often, I'm only purchasing physical copies of games when I know I really want it, I have shelf space AND it's a special edition version of the game.

Gutting is fine with me. The consumer has the right to not purchase the opened title if they do not want to.

Thinking back to the few PS3 games I bought new (prototype,SFIV,GODIII,Uncharted2) All of them were in the case in the wrap. The gamestops in my area have like 5 boxes of each new game then behind the counter are the games unopened in drawers.

Kyogissun:

tl;dr if you pick up a game wayyyyyy too late (talking like, 2-3 weeks), you shouldn't get mad if you get a near mint condition 'gutted' copy, you should just accept it and move on and if you complain, then you should have bought it elsewhere. Otherwise, you're just complaining for the sake of complaining, I.E. you're kind of a douchebag.

Look, you said it, not me. I even quoted you. But you insist on changing context, so let me quote a little bit more and try again.

Kyogissun:
Never really objected to gutting to be honest, if you're the last person to pick up the copy of the game, you're either A: some unlucky shmuck who was late to the punch finding out about the game or B: some douchebag who forgot to pre-order a game you wanted,

"If You're the last person to pick up a copy of the game". Let's stop there a moment. Because since Gamestop rarely, if ever, gets more shipments of games that aren't brand-spanking new, then most of the time, all they're going to have is the gutted copy. Now, this is interesting because they'll have "new" games on their shelves that are quite old, which tells me that the gutted copy has been there for a damn long time. So maybe 99% of people AREN'T fine with gutted copies, because they don't seem to be sold that often.

So yeah, unless it's a brand new release, you're usually going to be "the last person to pick up a copy".

Second of all, Gamestop has also adopted a rather disturbing practice of gutting MULTIPLE copies of high-profile new releases (Madden, Halo, etc.), so they can put more display cases on the shelves. So you can excuse the practice of gutting one copy as "necessary", but gutting multiple copies is inexcusable. So you may not even have 2-3 weeks. You might only get 2-3 days.

So moving on from there, you're still suggesting that if you don't buy a game IMMEDIATELY (I'll back off my "release day" thing, but we're still talking within the first week at best), you're a "schmuck" (who didn't know he wanted it right away) or a "douchebag" (who "forgot to pre-order"). Do you make up your mind about every game you want before it comes out? I sure don't. There are plenty of games I'm lukewarm about on release day, only to become much more interested weeks or months later. This, by your words, makes me a schmuck. And "schmuck" is not a term of endearment, and neither is "idiot". To rephrase your comment, you're calling these people stupid.

Now, as for "buying it elsewhere", we have to address the fact that video games are just not stuffing the shelves of ANY store. So "buying it elsewhere" might be sound advice, (though from a business standpoint, it's counterproductive, more on that in a sec), but it doesn't help get me the game. I usually have to resort to buying it online, a practice I hate, not only for the wait, which is admittedly insignificant concern, but because I've had too many bad experiences with online retailers either lying about the condition or packing it badly. Then returning/exchanging becomes a nightmare.

But a place like Gamestop shouldn't be telling me to "buy it elsewhere", they should be trying harder to make sure I buy it THERE. I accept that they're not really concerned about a handful of customers who want higher quality service, but they can't be so blatantly cavalier about it. It basically sends the messages to other less-demanding customers that they know they can slack off a bit in the area of customer service simply because they can get away with it.

To be fair, I do pre-order games if I don't think I'll find them anywhere or if I know for a fact I want it on release day. And Gamestop's my first choice only for those brand new releases. If it's a game that's been out longer than 24 hours, I go elsewhere first and save GS as a last resort. But Gamestop's the most geographically convenient place for me, being walking distance from where I work, so it'd be nice if I could just hop over during lunch or right after work and not have to go a bit out of my way to a Best Buy or Wal-Mart. And what makes it worse is that in many cases, they HAVE had a game that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, but it's gutted. And of course the older the game, the more certain it is that the gutted copy is completely wrecked.

"Second of all, Gamestop has also adopted a rather disturbing practice of gutting MULTIPLE copies of high-profile new releases (Madden, Halo, etc.), so they can put more display cases on the shelves. So you can excuse the practice of gutting one copy as "necessary", but gutting multiple copies is inexcusable. So you may not even have 2-3 weeks. You might only get 2-3 days"

Hmmm, weird, I've never had this happen to me but I'll take your word for it happening, I've just never seen it happen at a store I've been to. =/

Also, I never said shmuck was a term of endearment, I was just saying I didn't think it was anything to be offended by.

That all aside, I'll admit the words probably weren't the best to go by, so I'll apologize for that. I wasn't looking to describe specifically you or anyone with coherency on the internet, I'm mostly looking to direct such an attack-like post at those who can type on the internet with a format that's legible only to them and select others and the REST of us, AFTER being translated. :P

As per example in the article "HOW CAN THEY SELL AN OPEN COPY OF A GAME AS NEW WTFFFFFFF GAMESTOP SUX BALLZ" yeah, these kind of people, just imagine it more horribly spelled, I'm sure you get what I'm talking about.

Again, I can't say I share in your experiences though, MOST gamestops I've been to I've had pretty good service... The ones I've had the worst experiences with? Usually were ones inside shopping malls... I don't really know why either. It just seems like maybe better service is equivalent to whether the gamestop is inside of a mall or part of a set of side by side 'outside' stores.

I'm figuring you know what I mean. Those are the gamestops I've usually gone to and had good experiences with. There are policies though I wish they'd work on... Like, extending their pre-order holding policy. I wish they'd give a full week or two weeks instead of just 2-3 days.

No hard feeling after all is said and done I assume?

I have no issue with Gamestop. None whatsoever. Not when they once sold me a $39.99 game for the high, high price of $1.43, after trading in 5 games that weren't much, and happening to come in on a random deal day. The only way they could beat that was if the game came with a sandwich. It was a sealed copy, too. Do I care about gutting? Not really, no. Though, I will admit to caring about stickers on the case. Especially if they try to remove a previous sticker, and it just leaves a mess. At least make it look decent, without covering up any text.

RvLeshrac:
A 1c photocopy for each new release is hardly going to break the bank.

Perhaps, but it's still a non-trivial investment, and to accomplish what? Why would anyone spend a significant amount of extra time and money when 99% of people just don't care?

pneuma08:

RvLeshrac:
A 1c photocopy for each new release is hardly going to break the bank.

Perhaps, but it's still a non-trivial investment, and to accomplish what? Why would anyone spend a significant amount of extra time and money when 99% of people just don't care?

99% of people who apparently still shop at Gamestop. Many of those people that did care just shop somewhere else.

Also, math is your friend- 1% of the profit made off of a game sale with more than a $1 markup is more than 1 cent.

It's really more accurate to just say that Gamestop doesn't care all that much about new game sales that aren't pre-orders. If you're upset about gutting, then you probably don't want to buy a used copy, meaning they don't even really want you in there.

Adultratedhydra:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop)

There are actually some EB games here in the US. OR at least there were. An EB games near my house changed it's name to Gamestop so maybe all EBs in the US are just being called Gamestop now?

i don't mind gutting i mean if they give you the game the disk is fine and it has all the shit in it, then whats it matter the little sitcker is easier to get of anyways. how much of a discount do you get?

Well I really don't mind if I bought a game that had been gutted, but I can understand why people would get upset. I'm sure some people collect the stuff, or sell them like 10 years later, and if the game isn't sealed then I'm sure it takes away from the overall value.

I wish it was that easy to get a job here. Nobody here can get jobs at any place.

that was very short and had no actual content in it..

mjc0961:
Wow. I knew that people in general were stupid, but I never knew that so many were dumb enough to just happily pay full price for a used, gutted game which is clearly not new once you remove the shrink wrap. Why the hell anyone would accept that when you can go to any of the other stores that carry games and are franchised like GameStop (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc) is beyond me... Man people are dumb.

Infernoshadow211:
I understand the gutting thing. It makes sense to me. What I don't understand is why people complain that a game isn't new when only the shrink wrap is off. To me as, long as the disc is pristine, I get an instruction manual, and the box isn't dented, it's new.

Okay, go buy any new game from any other store, take off the shrink wrap, and try to return it and see if they think it's still new. HINT: They don't, because it's not. Even if you get a shrink wrapped copy at GameStop, they won't take it back under a return policy if you remove said shrink wrap. Hypocrisy much? You'd sell an opened game as new, you should return an opened game as well. Hell, unless they do something special to say you bought the gutted copy, you might not even be able to return that because it's got no shrink wrap.

And if you actually get a clean disc with no damage to the box or manual AND all of the DLC codes in the box and haven't been used yet, congratulations, you seem to have found the one GameStop on the planet that doesn't suck as much as the others.

I've worked in EB games and retail stores for years, and there's reasons why games brought back to stores aren't considered new:
-the game left the store
-it could have been copied
-potential lost contents

Simple as that. The gutted game is put into a sleeve and stored with everything that came in in it within the store. Games used to play as demos are of course, not sold as new.

Hum. Nothing to out of left field this week. I know they gut games and suspected that it was to prevent theft. It makes sense that most managers are dudes that are managers and not gamers. Still, its a good article and I expect it will get more interesting in the coming weeks. Keep it coming!

I've worked in a GameStop and refuse to purchase "last copies". I don't have any moral or logistical objection to the practice -- I just prefer a shrinkwrapped copy.

However, it should be noted that GameStop employees are allowed to bring home gutted copies of games for play on their own time, and then return them to the store for sale as new -- the price of having an informed staff.

Interesting read :) I look forward to the next

Made me rethink my application for xmas staff over the holidays too...

No surprise here... Never worked at a gamestop (or EBgames as they are called here and yes it's the same comapnies) by make a long time i had figured out why they gutted the game. And to be honest never cared the slightest. I understood that they wanted to prevent stealing, and even if i always taught the back door leaded to a larger toom that a phone boot sized local, i had figured it wasnt big enough to store lot of game... simply looking to the layout of a mall inform you there isnt much place for big warehouse there.

And anyway as now i barelly ever buy game at stores now instand ordering them online, eighter from amazon or gamestop. the gme they delivered me are send not gutted... because thay are shipped from the warehouses....

Never got why pre wrapped games so bad. I mean its way easier and less dangerous to get the game out. I got the scars to prove this.

I don't understand the need to break this piece into four sections. You have many excellent long form pieces, all far longer than this short segment. It just seemed light on content and length.

Maybe you intend to have explosive revelations in the latter segments but this one doesn't seem to offer much other than the nuts and bolts of generic retail operations of any stripe.

But then I don't patronize this company so maybe that's why I'm not as invested as many of these other comments are. The ugliness of this company's rep keeps me from spending any time or money there. I vote with my feet and dollars.

Man, a little harsh on GS managers, aren't we? Managers don't game, eh? I AM one, and I've been gaming since 1988!

While it's true that out of the 4000+ managers in the company not EVERY one is a solid gamer, I don't think it's quite fair to label us ALL as apathetic nongamers-- hell, I recently came back from our yearly conference and can vouch that the crowd went wild during our MANY presentations from the vendors showing off the new games.

While "Ben's" district may have been full of retail drones, mine just has the problem of being "too cool" for each other. We all game to some degree-- even my DM. ^_^

I really would like to encourage the author of this series to avoid making blanket statements about 4000 different stores based on just one or two of them-- we're retailers under the same banner but vary greatly from state to state and region to region-- you may as well say that every gamer is the same!

Fenixius:

Adultratedhydra:
[...] i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement. [...]

Wait, what? If someone puts EB's disk guarantee on their game, their mint copy of Halo Reach, and returns it with an Xbox Ring Burn, you'll replace it with a used copy of the game if one is available? Is that correct? Please tell me it's not, because that's ridiculous. New should be replaced with new, preowned with preowned.

Yes. "Company policy" is replace a game with a game guarentee with a pre-owned if theres one avaliable. if you get someone who replaces a new with new then he/she is giving the finger to the bosses.

And you might think that a GameStop stock room in the back - that magical little door where employees go to fetch games for you - is the size of the warehouse where the ark is stored at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's not. Ours was only slightly larger than the average phone booth.

(emphasis mine)

Just like a police box...no larger than your average police box. ;)

In all seriousness--good read. Looking forward to next week!

I dont have gamestops in my country, but the equalvilent here is probably EB Games (I think Gamestop might own them). Im never really bothered buying gutted games, because I understand why they dont have them complete on the shelf. That said, I do prefer buying online. because my games always come shrinkwrapped.

Very interesting. I'm intrigued to see the other insights into the retail side of things. :)

Adultratedhydra:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.

You give them used ones?

I work at a Canada EB Games and if you buy new, you get a new replacement.

So I'm going to go ahead and match this column with my own experiences. I'll probably addm ore to this on future columns in the coming weeks.

For the record, EB Games is what Electronics Boutique was rebranded in Australia after Gamestop bought out the brand in the US.

I'd wanted to work at EB since I was about 17. That was when my interest in games really took off and I considered this a viable part-time job option. It looked like fun. The guys were always joking around with each other, talking about games, and getting to take games home to try them out - not technically allowed but I had a friend who managed another EB and he told me it was just one of those undocumented perks. As long as the game is returned by the opening of the next business day there's no harm done, right?

I didn't seriously apply until I was about 18, and needed the job to support myself at university. I'd usually drop a resume in about once every six months, but mostly worked in a warehouse driving forklifts during my holidays and gaming was only a hobby. I left university at the end of 2001 just before I turned 19 (I had to drop out as I couldn't find part time work that fit around my university schedule). I worked a year in security, then a year at Kinko's before the company closed down in Australia.
I never got a job at EB - the store I kept applying to had a habit of only hiring friends, or people known to the current staff. People who already treated the store like a second home and would help customers with the game selections for fun. I don't know why alarm bells weren't ringing at this point.
I finally got my chance at the end of 2004 when my "usual" EB Games had a change in management and changed their hiring policies. I blitzed the group interview and quit my job at Kinko's for what I perceived to be greener pastures. After two days of "training" shifts at a new (and not very busy) store, I started working at my "usual" store.
Myself and one other guy, a kid of about 17 (I was 21 - almost 22 at this point) started in the same week.
I was available for as many shifts as they would give me as I was in my summer break.

In my first week I did two shifts (the other new guy got given four). I was given the gutting task as detailled in the article. I also had to face up the stock, print price-tags for preowned stock as well as gut those too. As well as being attentive to customers I had to maintain constant vigilance to make sure none of the floor stock walked out the door.

I was criticised for not stopping the assistant manager walking back into the store after his lunch break, picking up a set of speakers, and walking out the door with them - which was done purely to test me. Apparently, he decided, anyone could have walked in and done the same thing. My view is, he was the assistant manager. What was I really going to say to him if he wanted to carry stock somewhere. For all I knew he was carrying it for a customer.

A Gamecube went missing. I was accused of stealing it - or more indirectly "maybe I took it out to show a customer and forgot to put it back". At that point in my life I had literally never touched a Gamecube, not even recreationally. I categorically denied their suggestions.
I was given housekeeping duties to perform after closing. I was expected to spend at least an hour vacuuming, mopping dusting, facing up shelves, and tidying up the stockroom.

Did I mention this was off the clock? No one gets paid past 5pm. I was expected to stay until 6, sometimes 7pm. Soem of the guys would stay until 8 or 9. Sometimes they had stuff to do, other times they were just hanging out. I didn't want to commit that kind of time, especially since I wasn't being paid for it. I had a girlfriend to get home to. She worked full time in a "real" job (health insurance claims) so I was usually responsible for cooking dinner.
I started to notice I was drawing contempt for my lack of dedication to the role, but what was I going to do? Get home at 10:30pm every night because I was doing unpaid overtime in a job that didn't pay very well to begin with.
In my second week I got sick. I went in for the two shifts I was rostered for, and was asked to come in to do the late-night shopping shift on Thursday. Unfortunately I had to turn it down - I knew I wasn't feeling well and thought it best if I rested. More contempt, open sneering from my manager.
It turns out I was so ill I was actually bedridden until Sunday due to a nasty chest infection - fortunately I didn't miss any rostered shifts.
I was given my roster. Two shifts again. The other new guy had five - over 30 hours. Obviously I was on the manager's shit list.
I asked him why I was only getting two shifts - two shifts in a week was barely worth working for the amount of income I was earning. I was barely making as much as I had been pulling doing Sundays at Kinko's. This whole thing was starting to sound like a really bad idea.
In response to my query my manager said something indistinct about "bad numbers".
Numbers aren't just sales. They're upsells. What percentage of warranties you attach to new or used game sales or consoles. How many games you sell with a new console. How often you move pre-owned as an alternative to new - everyone knows Gamestop make their money off of pre-owned sales. What a lot of people don't realise is jut how open they are about it. They tell you on your first day what the profit margin is, and how badly we want it. If you sell new over pre-owned you're made to feel like you're stealing from the company.
Anyway, the point is, any time you upsell you get another point in your favour.

My numbers weren't good. The other new guy was much better at this than me. I pointed out how many more shifts I'd gotten since day one, how the other guy had been given more opportunity to perform - maybe if I was working 3-5 times a week I'd be doing well too.
This argument failed to move him.

In my 4th week I got no shifts. Zero. Nada. Zilch. This was right before Christmas, when we were supposed to be getting more hours. I knew this was EB giving me the finger.

I let it go, then I got no shifts in the 5th week. I went to another EB (closer to home) to buy a game and was informed my staff discount was no longer active - they'd gotten a bounceback on it the last time I'd bought from there.

I called my manager asking him what was going on. Was I fired? All he said was "I don't have anything for you this week."
I explained my discount was rejected, asked him again "am I fired?"
Again, all he said was "I don't have anything for you this week."
After a pause he added: "Your numbers need to improve if you want more shifts."
I asked how I get better numbers without any shifts.
Want to guess what he said? That's right: "I don't have anything for you this week."

I never resigned from EB. I was never officially terminated. I just stopped getting shifts.

It's an annoying milestone in my life, the three weeks I worked at an EB. I see the agony on the faces of the people who work there now, the subtle shifts in body language and tone of voice between manager and employee that identify poor performers and high performers.

Just last week I was in an EB to enquire about the possibility of pre-ordering the collector's edition of Fallout: New Vegas. The manager was all smiles, told me everything I needed to know. Could I preorder it? No, but there might be a way to secure some overstock if you're real lucky, here's how..."

Then as I headed out the door he turned to the girl next to him and asked her why a non-gutted game someone had traded in was sitting on the counter in reach of customers.
She said with alarm: "I don't know how I missed that one!"
I almost felt ice forming as he lowered his voice and said: "I'd like to know too."

I wonder if he'll have any shifts for her next week.

This is the most interesting article on Escapist that I've read in a while! I always wanted to work at a Gamestop in High school and college, but for some reason I just stayed working at grocery stores and restaurants. Usually my coworkers and I were talking about games anyway 50% of the time (the other 50 being about girls and sex of course).

As for the whole gutting issue, I've never had a problem with it or any next gen games that I bought malfunctioning, so I don't care as long it solves the problems with theft.
Looking forward to reading more next week!

I love these comments. I had to stop reading them cause it started to all look the same and basically all say the same things... but yes I agree with what I read. I don't understand complaints AGAINST gutting at all, I work at BB and we stole the gutting idea and put it towards the rental games. that way you can rent with the actual case while we have the games hidden in the back in nice protective sleeves.
I also understand working for someone who isn't really a gamer (considering we a mostly movies, but also games aswell so there's that 50/50 deal there considering I'm a gamer and don't watch many movies). Yes he plays some games, or just has his kids play them, but that's why he has us. We are his gamers. We're the ones who rent all the games, play them, then tell people "uhh you sure you want to rent *insert bad game here*?" But on the other hand, my store manager does listen to us and actually asks us for approval on ideas he has on organizing the store. But I know that's NOT every SM, not all SMs listen to their employees or care about how their store is being kept.

Yeah, I live in this world and I can relate.

Vivace-Vivian:

Adultratedhydra:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.

You give them used ones?

I work at a Canada EB Games and if you buy new, you get a new replacement.

Hey, um, I live in Canada, and I noticed some of my beloved EB's have turned into Gamestops. Are you getting bought out?
Say it ain't so joe..
I know I should research this if I'm so interested, but I hate wallowing through all the crap that google sometimes offers, and am just no good at research in general.

OT: I find this article quite interesting. Not much in terms of actual content. Well, not anything I didn't already suspect. I do however find the qualifications for working at gamestop to be rather sad, adn in my situation, hopeful. I hate where i currently work, and thinking that I could get a job in the games industry and help local gamers out(if only a little) is great. Even if it's only recommending a new game.

Kermi:
*major awesome snip*

That was a great read, thanks for posting it.

Well, the thing it makes you realize is that, even working in an industry you love, business is business.
The whole "not officially being terminated" thing happened to me to when I worked at a Safeway(It's a a grocery store)
I'll never forget the feeling of walking in and seeing the my week empty of shifts. That's just a dick move.

As someone who has almost ten years of retail experience in the games industry here in the UK, I must admit I had thought gutting to be the norm, and never realised the ferver (read: anal idiocy) of gamers in the US over not having a sealed copy of their game.

Which begs the question, what about that 10% of games that are actually shipped from the suppliers without shrink wrap? Do they annoy gamers as much, or do they simply not realise that every single copy of Blood Bowl came unwrapped in the first place?

Gutting is a necessary evil, in my own shop, which is a relatively low-risk store, we use wraparound magnetic tags to protect product between 20 and 30, but still gut a display quantity of top end games. Due to space in store, and the amount of actual stock we receive for a particular release, this may mean we have gutted anywhere between 30% and all of it. Done correctly, gutting doesn't actually magically make the game second hand, it just removes the 'joy' of tearing off the shrink wrap to get at your new purchase. Occasionally the box may get a little wear and tear, or the instruction book gets a little dog-eared, but if the storage of the insides is done correctly, there should be no damage at all to the game disk and the potential downsides to gutting (scratched discs, lost instruction books/download cards, unable to find disc in filing system) are massively outweighed by the very real upsides (games are high-ticket, and can be relatively low margin at times, so loss from theft is a big hit).

Of the 'big three' remaining games specialists/generalists in the UK, of which my company is one, we ALL gut. Its a common thing, because all other tagging systems, dummy boxes and the like ARE too expensive to implement all the time. When we can, we use what we have, but its up to the games companies themselves to send us dummy sleeves or display boxes... we sure as hell can't afford the hit on the bottom line to make our own.

Still... I'll admit more often than not I'll grab a copy before it gets gutted and put it buy to purchase later for myself, just because ;)

"If you put an empty box on the shelf, there is no incentive whatsoever for a thief to steal it."

And yet, the retards still do. Heh heh. We faced a lot of shrinkage in that way.

I worked for EB Games too and some of their proceedures were just shocking. It is a fun place to work, no doubt, but you certainly feel dirty at the end of the day. I remember the push to sell GGs included assuring adults that even if the children themselves damage the disc, we would still exchange it (an easy promise, considering most never return it within the 7days with the docket) and always always trying to convince customers that they really should buy a used game which is ten dollars cheaper, despite having that same game returned four times because it doesn't work. (the idea is, sooner or later someone won't bring it back)

Selling gutted games was a fairly common mistake made during busy times at my store. Rather than fetch a sealed copy from out the back (our storage space was two whole phone booths big) it was quicker and easier to just jam the guts in, so if you don't want a gutted game, its always worth asking.

Preordering games is pretty good for that reason alone - even ordering games in, if the store doesn't have it - because they will put it aside for you the second it leaves the box, instead of gutting it.

All up, EB is NOT a bad place to shop. They have fantastic pre order deals and their Xmas and stocktake sales can make getting new copies of games very enjoyable. All you need to do is be a savvy shopper with the willpower to stand up against pushy salespeople. A manager came in to train us and gave us an example of how to sell stuff to a customer. She steamrolled him. The poor guy was so flustered that he bought a stack of crap he clearly didn't want and you can bet your ass we never saw him again.

I don't think they realise how bad their reputation is getting. If they didn't have exclusive collector editions and stacks of funky advertising, they would loose out to GAMER and GameTraders in a heartbeat.

Then again, they do! So they won't. I still shop there, and I KNOW they're evil. :D

Kermi:
I'd usually drop a resume in about once every six months... the store I kept applying to had a habit of only hiring friends, or people known to the current staff... I blitzed the group interview and quit my job at Kinko's for what I perceived to be greener pastures... I was given housekeeping duties to perform after closing. I was expected to spend at least an hour vacuuming, mopping dusting, facing up shelves, and tidying up the stockroom.

Woah, you just caused a shiver down my spine.

I was promised the assistant manager position at eb and quit my better hourly rate job as a checkout chick without delay. Upon starting work, I was told that there wasn't going to be an assistant manager anymore - the store wasn't big enough for that. We were opening a brand new store. So a manager was flown in from another town. This manager was eighteen and had eight months experience working as a casual. He was also drinking buddies with the area manager.

The next day we had a new hire. One of the girls who failed the first round of interviews was a waitress at the local pub. The area manager and our new manager had recognized her when they went for a beer and, drunkenly, offered her a job.

A month later, myself and another girl had the best sale stats in the business, despite our manager generally hanging out behind the counter playing his psp and 'stealing' the results of our work by logging all trade-ins and bundle sales under his name. We knew what was going on with all the games. We knew all the top titles coming out soon and what their pre order offers were. We had stock levels and advertising under control. We assumed, foolishly, that our dedication would be rewarded.

Our manager hired his new friend to be assistant manager. This friend was also his housemate and received as many hours as he wanted so they could make rent.

Our store smashed two records for trade-Ins and preorders. Our store got a cheap paper certificate in red and yellow congratulating us. Our manager got two glass trophies, a free iPhone and a free copy of fallout 3.

Oh and the company also paid for him to attend trade shows, from which he returned with tales of how awesome it was, no actual information on new products and kept all the freebies to himself.

Disgusted, I put in for a transfer to one of the city stores for when I started uni. The other girl demanded a minimum amount of hours per week or she would leave - something she got as they couldn't afford to loose her.

I was assured of a place in one of three city stores or the new one opening since I had experience with opening and excellent stats. I got no calls. I followed up with the managers who were very friendly and welcoming and told me they had heard great things about me, but weren't sure how many hours they had until the next fortnight, etc etc.

And on and on and on.

By chance, almost half a year later, I met the douche area manager who was excited to see me and asked how my new store was going. When hearing it had fallen through, he promised to sort it out and said I should give him a call some time in the next month. Yeah, right.

Last I heard, my original manager was fired for failing to reach the same level of sales and orders he had under myself and my friend's efforts. The girl had a baby and moved to a new town with the promise of a job waiting for her, assistant manager with an eye to being manager within a year. Seven months later, they finally offered her one shift a week, with the chance of more in the busy periods.

One thing we both had was the 'key holder' position. All the responsibility of setting up, closing down, balancing the tills, tracking down people's mistakes AND cleaning, none of the pay. Those jobs were after 5. :P

It amazes me that it is actually legal to do that in Australia. :D

If you steal blank cases, is it really stealing?

And to the guys at EB Games Australia - you really should get onto the SDA about the way you are being treated.

http://www.sda.org.au/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or