273: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This looks interesting, another suggestion for a similiar view is the short runned Zero Originality series. It's about ninety minutes of a view from a Gamestop's employees thoughts on the company in a ripoff ZP style that actually works.

Falseprophet:
Wait a second...

When I walk into an EB or GameStop, a month or two before a new release comes out, they have displays of empty boxes with cover art that reads "Coming Soon--Preorder Today!" all over it. Where does this custom cover art come from, and why can't it be used for in-stock titles instead of gutting?

As an ex EB Games employee here in Oz, all of that marketing you see in the stores (the posters, the case inlays, the boxes that take up the same amount of space as 4 cases) are provided by the distributor of that product. The amount of marketing we used to receive in our daily deliveries was astronomical. And it got worse around sale and Christmas times.

As for this whole gutting thing - there seems to be a variance between stores. All console titles that had cases put on the shelves were gutted. New releases usually had a number gutted to be put out but the vast majority were left sealed in the back room - this was company policy and strictly enforced. PC games were a bit different, anything up to $50 I used to leave in the box, anything over was gutted. When I managed different stores (I managed 3 in total) I used to vary this dependent on the store and the clientele.

Kyogissun:
Never really objected to gutting to be honest, if you're the last person to pick up the copy of the game, you're either A: some unlucky shmuck who was late to the punch finding out about the game or B: some douchebag who forgot to pre-order a game you wanted,

I never understood this line of thinking. Is a good game any less good if you play it later than others?
Never seen a reason to pre-order my games either, but I understand the reasons for it, especially from the shops perspective.

If my local shop would offer a gutted game, I would ask if they had really ran out of the shrink wrapped new games. If it truly would be the last copy I would ask for a small discount, since the display cases to tend to suffer a bit of wear and tear. Or maybe I would just go shop somewhere else, if cared that much about the game.

Thanks for VondeVon and Kermi for sharing their stories.

Kyogissun:

I'm figuring you know what I mean. Those are the gamestops I've usually gone to and had good experiences with. There are policies though I wish they'd work on... Like, extending their pre-order holding policy. I wish they'd give a full week or two weeks instead of just 2-3 days.

I manage to avoid mall Gamestops, mostly because I avoid malls altogether. Not only because there's typically only ever 2 stores TOPS that interest me (a game store and a book store), but because with the flood of teenagers swarming around, I just end up feeling old and creepy. Yeah, they're fun to ogle, but really.

I have three "outdoor plaza" type Gamestops very near me; two where I live, and one where I work, so I still find myself in there a lot. Mostly the one where I work, since I'll usually walk by it simply going to the store to get lunch, and the people who work there are pretty cool, not to mention very hot in one case.

And since I'm there more than occasionally, they know me, so they know about my anti-display copy thing, and don't make a fuss. (On the other hand, the people at the stores I don't frequent, who don't know about my eccentricities, they're the ones who almost openly mock me when I turn down display copies). So if anything, it's the employees who keep me going back to the one near where I work. Also, I've had a peek into the back rooms of a couple of them, and they're not as tiny as has been made out to seem. No, they couldn't store 1000 games back there, but it's not a phone booth either, by any means.

But I was in a mall Gamestop last week, and it was a tiny, claustrophobic, miserable place. I knew the guy who worked there since he used to work at the one near where I work, so fortunately I didn't have a "bad experience" (though he was creepier than I remember). But the store itself sucked, and maybe being stuck there weighed on him, because he wasn't as relaxed as I remembered, either. In fact, I'm willing to make a logical leap and say that perhaps the reason service is worse in malls is simply because working in a mall is an awful, dispiriting experience.

Liemannen:

Never seen a reason to pre-order my games either, but I understand the reasons for it, especially from the shops perspective.

For the most part, it's just convenience. I mean yeah, I'll have no problem at all finding the new Fallout game on release day, pre-order or not, and I don't give a toss about pre-order bonuses, but Gamestop has a nasty habit of only getting enough copies of some games to fill pre-orders. Obviously for the most popular games (Madden, Halo), they'll have more than enough, but for lesser games (including damn near every RPG), it's actually kind of tough to find a game on release day if you don't pre-order. Perfect example is Star Ocean: Last Thingy International, whatever the PS3 one was called. I didn't pre-order that, and NOBODY had it. Gamestop didn't even have display copies. They had like two pre-orders, got two copies, and that was that.

So now, if there's a game I want on release day, I'll just go ahead and pre-order it two days before it's out. It makes no difference to me that I put down five bucks now as opposed to two days from now, and it guarantees me a copy, which saves me a trip to Best Buy or Toys R Us after work. That's enough for me.

VondeVon:
Woah, you just caused a shiver down my spine.

*snip*

It amazes me that it is actually legal to do that in Australia. :D

I was actually lured to EB by a friend who was the manager of a store. He also tended to hire friends, but he changed that policy: he gave one guy a shot who he maybe didn't know as well as he should have. I asked him one day "Hey, how's Paul?".
Side note: if you were part of the gaming/anime/nerd community in Sydney circa 2000-2004 you've probably heard of this guy, because everyone knows Medieval Recreation Paul.

I digress.

My friend gave him a shot at his store and his response was a sad headshake.
"That fuckin' guy..." he said.
Paul sat on the floor crosslegged talking to his girlfriend on the phone while stocking shelves at a rate of one case per minute, loudly begging her to not be mad at him, trying to explain he had to work instead of seeing her. He begged to be allowed to borrow games after his third shift even though he wouldn't be in the next morning to return it. The first shift my friend wasn't there he slipped a game in his bag (despite the mandatory bag checks after every shift) then claimed he was allowed to borrow it. A quick call verified he was a grade-A bullshit artist.
My friend's policy on hiring friends changed that day.

However when he was sent to trade shows he distributed the loot evenly. He'd give people other chances to go to them. He was a good teacher.

The manager at "my" store went to trade shows and gave the swag to his friends who didn't work in the store. What he didn't give to buddies he put into the store inventory to improve his sales figures.

My friend's end came when he pulled an all-nighter: literally he stayed in the store overnight to set up for a huge sale starting the next day. He couldn't get any volunteers to stay back so he did the setup himself, working until 3am. He crashed out in the back room until opening time the next morning. His District Manager came in to inspect it, and said it wasn't satisfactory. He explained the circumstances and was chewed out for not getting it done in the regular hours. Seriously.

He quit, although colleagues I worked with later who'd known him or worked with him claimed he was terminated. Either way, his time was over.

The district managers forget what it was like to be store managers. They think everything is marked off at 5pm and everyone goes home. They pretend that no one stays back late, sometimes to 11pm to get everything done - that everything goes like clockwork and completely revamping the store should only require a small application of effort.

The thing is they can't require you to work past five. There is nothing stopping you walking out at 5 except your pride and dedication to the job, so long as you didn't want to be given any shifts or anything next week.

I always ask for a fresh copy, ususally because I use games as carrots to get work done, so I need them to look beautiful on my shelf staring back at me. Also because I like my game library to look decent.

I worked at Software Etc. (which are all now Gamestops IIRC) back during the Dreamcast launch (had that day off though since I was the stores SEGA fan and had mine ASAP), so I remember all that stuff.

A few years ago I was taking some classes at the local college and I had a two hour break between classes and Gamestop was nearby, so I would go and hang out with my friend that works there. When it got busy (since he was usually the only one there during the morning) I'd end up helping people on the floor. He used to joke to the DM that I had the best sales numbers of anyone in the store, even for the Game Informer/Discount Card thing. Now everytime I go in he asks if I'm ready to go to work as I have a job there waiting for me anytime I want it. If the doctors would release me to work even part time, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Samurai Goomba:
Based on my experiences with Gamestop, I tend to favor as harsh a stance on them as possible, especially considering how they basically drove Gamecrazy out of business. Well, that and the fact that nobody rents movies from a store anymore, which probably hurt Gamecrazy's partner company, which I believe was Hollywood Video.

It didn't help that Gamecrazy stores tended to be in wierd ass places. Out away from major commercial districts (with the exception of one store I saw in Palo Alto.)

Samurai Goomba:
Not to say Gamestop isn't terrible, 'cause it is. It's just... They hire from the bottom of the barrel and treat their employees like crap, which I think negatively affects the behavior of their employees.

Honestly? That's most corporations. FedEx does exactly the same thing. But because it's not retail, you never have to see or put up with their incompetence or hear about how the company shits on them.

This statement that most GS managers have little to no interest in gaming, based on the writer's extremely limited sample size, is ludicrous. As someone who worked as an SGA for just over a year, I can easily tell a tale that is the exact opposite based on my experiences. So I shall...

As a twenty-something in the Philly area who had just returned to college, my job options were limited and so was my availability. Just like the writer, I needed something that was mostly brainless that would provide a few bucks a week to spend on bills, games, food, beer and such. At this point in my life, I had always been a huge gamer but had never had actual gamer friends. That was all about to change.

Virtually every single person I met at GS was as big of, or even bigger, of a gamer than I was. A few even work in development for an indie game studio and one composes music for a (very) small mainstream publisher. Going into the job, my XBL friends list was filled with random strangers I had met in games or in online gaming boards. Now? All of those people have been deleted and there are thirty some real-life gamer friends on it. Where did I meet these individuals? Game Stop employees (mostly management too) every last one of them.

Sure, a handful of managers and associates were just random people who needed a job, but the VAST majority of people I met at the five or six stores I rotated between during my employment there were gamers. Some were GAs, some were SGAs, some were ASMs and yes (shocker!?!?) some were even SMs. Hell I even met my girlfriend of three years now there (she's an Assistant Manager at GS and yes, she plays "real" games as in FPSs, RPGs, MMOs and just about anything else).

GS may be a pretty crappy company to work for, but most of the people working on the front lines (managers and game advisors) are indeed gamers. They even have a section on the back of the application in which you are asked to write in what game systems you own and what games you are interested in. I don't know how the writer and his bozo manager missed that one. A major part of the job is to constantly answer questions about what games are good and what games are appropriate for whom. These questions come from the majority of the customers - people who are not games and need to have everything about gaming and particular games explained to them in detail. The hard core gamer customer, who already knows what he wants when he walks through the door, is the exception.

The guys and girls I met at GS became my closest group of friends and we regularly play games together online, go drinking, to the movies, hang out at each others' houses, go to midnight launches and whatever else it is friends do. I enjoy gaming so much more now that online gaming is always done in a private party full of friends rather than with a bunch of random douche bags.

As for gutting, yes it sucks and no core gamer wants a gutted game.

pneuma08:

RvLeshrac:
A 1c photocopy for each new release is hardly going to break the bank.

Perhaps, but it's still a non-trivial investment, and to accomplish what? Why would anyone spend a significant amount of extra time and money when 99% of people just don't care?

Yeah... A 1c photocopy won't move product either. It's been a few years, but last time I checked a 144dpi color copy on glossy is going to be closer to $0.35. And there IS a copyright issue. If one of the game devs doesn't like the idea of you photocopying their game cover and selling using that, they could tag the chain for infringement.

You see it seems big name developer Vargas Box decided that their latest game Iguana Escape has to be printed with metallic ink on the cover of the box, so when Gamestop photocopies it, and posts that, Vargas Box and their publisher Escaped Mental Patients can turn around and sue Gamestop for misrepresenting their product. Why? Because no one fucking bought it, and its a piece of shit, but here's a chance to assign that blame elsewhere and recoup.

So, no, you really can't make a 1c photocopy and call it good. Sorry.

I'm not exactly sure why people have the vehement opposition to preordering things, specifically the argument of "you're paying in full for a game you won't even be able to play yet!!!!!!!1111111"

Personally, I preorder games from Gamestop so that I can pay for the game over the course of a month or two. The Collector's Editions of various games I have? Would NEVER have gotten them if I couldn't preorder and put money down on it over time. $80-$100 coming out in one chunk is a lot more painful than paying for it over a few months at $20 per paycheck. The preorder bonus, if any, and the guarantee of a copy being available for me at release are just extras.

Of course, there are exceptions, such as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood scaring me out of preording it with their particular preorder bonus... That guy gives me the jibblies. *shudder*

Kramerica13:

GS may be a pretty crappy company to work for, but most of the people working on the front lines (managers and game advisors) are indeed gamers. They even have a section on the back of the application in which you are asked to write in what game systems you own and what games you are interested in. I don't know how the writer and his bozo manager missed that one. A major part of the job is to constantly answer questions about what games are good and what games are appropriate for whom. These questions come from the majority of the customers - people who are not games and need to have everything about gaming and particular games explained to them in detail. The hard core gamer customer, who already knows what he wants when he walks through the door, is the exception.

See, that makes sense!

In the Australian subsection, the first words out of my DM's mouth were "We don't care if you play games. That has absolutely no bearing on this job. The only thing that matters is if you can sell them. And a good salesperson can sell ANYTHING."

Kind of started us off knowing what sort of company we were signing on for. :D It didn't make sense at the time - surely a salesperson who knows their product is best?

Well, yes and no. Apparently, a good liar is best. Someone who can enthuse about any piece of crap and swear blind a hundred satisfied customers bought it just yesterday.

A knowledgable salesperson is more likely to be honest, it turns out, which can be bad for sales. Or so the DM confided in me during the welcome party, chain-smoking in one of his new employee's homes with a baby not five feet away. (That sounds like a comical exaggeration, but it's not.)

Reading through the responses here, I find myself wondering if the actual article's "revelations" will hold a candle to those shared in the comments. :S :D

So what? I worked for gamestop for close to two years before they laid off our entire store. It's a pretty cushy job compared to most retail jobs, but it is just another job. Having fun or not is based (like every other job) on if your coworkers and manager are cool people or not. I worked for a gamer with other gamers. It was pretty cool, but it paid shit and the crap you put up with from customers and corporate was enough to drive you mad. Just like any other retail job.

What is there to confess? That you sold gutted games and sometimes a used one got sold as new by mistake? That you hated and looked down on certain customers (grandmothers, ghetto kids, fellow gamers who wouldn't leave you alone)? That you might have taken every copy of Madden 06 that came into your store out of the cases, tea bagged them and then sold them as guts? Then did the same thing with GTA San Andreas? Why does this warrant a 4 part installment?

I don't see what the problem is with gutted games. It's not like the shrink wrap is a Seal of Flavor Quality - as long as your disc is clean, it will play exactly as well as a brand-new one. We are long past the days of 45rpm records, people.

To the point of the article syaing that none of the mangerial jobs at Gamestop are filled with non-gamers, I have to say that is slighty exaggerating. I have and do frequent at least four Gamestops in my area, and all of them have employees that are gamers themselves. They enjoy, they talk to you about it if you allow yourself a nice, small conversation, and they don't look down on those that might be ignorant of gaming in general. Now, I'm not saying that the article is compltely wrong. Of course, there are going to be those that just do this because they have nothing else, but not everyone is like that. There are those that want to be surrounded by what they love, which is understandable.

A few years back, I worked for EB Games right aorund the time they were bought out by Gamestop. The assistant manager was a really cool guy who, unfortunately, was trying to support his wife and two kids. Working at a place like this isn't really meant to get a healthy salary. Working there was actually evenly split between awful and alright. For being the cold, cynical bastard that I am, I actually enjoyed helping people when it came to games. I guess that's just a symptom of helping those who don't know much about what you like. I enjoyed the interactions and helping customers pick and choose games. However, there were some things that left a bad taste in regards to how business was done. The one thing that bothered was the selling of the those Edge cards or whatever they were called at EB (forgive the memory lapse). I was told that I had to sell at least two to three of these cards a day. These cards were $15, which the same price as the Edge cards at Gamestop. I had to sell them. There was no other way around it. The company kept track of how many I sold on a daily basis. Now, I'm not sure of some of you will find that be good or not, but to me, I didn't like the fact my performance was based on how well I sold these cards. There was no incentive to it either, other than to just look good at the end of the day.

Another thing I remember was the docking of pay. I was being trained on the register on how to process a transaction. My cool assistant manager had placed the register on a training mode, where the computer would go through a practice transaction. At that time a customer came in and bought a DS game. Unfortunately, he didn't take the register off of the training mode, which meant the transaction never took place and the customer, who payed with a card, walked away with a free game. The assistant mamger was then docked the amount of the game. I felt bad because he was kicking himself about it for a couple days after that.

The thing that pissed me off, though, was me getting laid off. When I was hired, they negelected to tell me that the fucking store was closing in two weeks, so imagine my surprise when I was told at the end of second week that the store was no longer going to be in operation. That was same day when I had to take down all the games in the PS2 section and re-organize them in alphabetical order. Thanks for not telling me when I got hired less than two weeks ago!

Again, some might see some of this stuff as small time complaints, but they bothered me.

People don't understand why there are empty covers in the shelf? Really?

I can't really understand why one would complain about "gutting duty" either, it's really self explanatory that one would have to actually take the games out of the boxes.

Lullabye:

Vivace-Vivian:

Adultratedhydra:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.

You give them used ones?

I work at a Canada EB Games and if you buy new, you get a new replacement.

Hey, um, I live in Canada, and I noticed some of my beloved EB's have turned into Gamestops. Are you getting bought out?
Say it ain't so joe..

We're already bought out. They just haven't changed us all yet.

whether the box has been opened or not isn't necessarily the issue, its how the game was treated after it was "gutted". Normally it doesn't do any damage. People get pissed when the brand new game they get is so bad it wont even load.

Great article though, can't wait for the rest.

I've worked in a couple of different game chains - I'm a high flyer, me - and they all gut to some extent. I wouldn't be too worried about the state of the boxes, but how the disc itself is treated afterwards varies to a huge degree. One chain I worked for put them in little cd sleeves, another simply elastic-banded the disc into the manual, and another shrink wrapped the disc into it. Of those, the latter option was the worst, it gives the disc itself enough room to float around in the manual and get scuffed. Banding is fine on the disc, but can make the manual look weird, and the CD sleeves are alright but absolutely guarantee you will never find the game your looking for when you need to.

It's worth asking for a mint copy if you're picky about that stuff, but by and large the gutted copies are the last resort anyway, so if they're giving you one of those, there probably aren't any wrapped copies left. 99% don't give a crap, the other 1% can be incredibly unreasonable about it.

Gamestop was pretty much the only chain I never worked for, but my experience of them as a customer would suggest that there is a huge inconsistency in quality of service from store to store. But as with anywhere else, it's all dependent on how much of a douchebag the managers are, and for whatever reason, Gamestop seems to hire an unusual proportion of douchebag managers. I don't know what kind of adult feels the need to chew the head off their employees in the middle of a busy store, but speaking a customer, I cannot believe how often I've seen it happen in Gamestop stores. That's my single biggest complaint with this store - their employees aren't always well informed, but so long as they get the job done, I don't mind. I sympathise with them, in fact. But nothing will send me running out of a store faster than seeing that kind of management bullying. It's just unnecessary, and it's a disgusting way to treat people just because you can.

I'm interested to see what "Ben" might have to say re: insurance. I'm not overly familiar with the Gamestop system, but I don't enjoy that part of any sale. I love games, I know what I'm talking about, and I don't mind saying I am a great salesperson, but that bit makes me feel like a con artist.

HellBrendy:
People don't understand why there are empty covers in the shelf? Really?

I can't really understand why one would complain about "gutting duty" either, it's really self explanatory that one would have to actually take the games out of the boxes.

It's more when the various stores fuck around and fuck the customers over using this. Such as selling damaged disks as new or selling disks without all the original content.

I just bought a "gutted" new game the other day I didnt care. At all. I dont see why people would get pissed off about it. Its not like the GameStop employee or someone else around there is using the disc. It was just, there. So I'm part of that 99%.

Scytail:

Xanthious:
However, what I will say is that Gamestop has an awesome return policy on used games. Seven days, no questions asked. If you can't find a way to turn that into week long free rentals then you are doing something wrong.

there are limitations on that. had to deal with someone trying to get away with the same thing and our store manager denyed him a refund.

I've done it a few times with games that just weren't keeping. They never had a problem getting me a full refund. It's not like I come in returning a used game every week, so don't make a habit out of it or anything. It's great for just trying that one game you think might be good. If it's great, you keep it, if it's actually crap, get a refund and try again.

Infernoshadow211:
I understand the gutting thing. It makes sense to me. What I don't understand is why people complain that a game isn't new when only the shrink wrap is off. To me as, long as the disc is pristine, I get an instruction manual, and the box isn't dented, it's new.

Pretty much this. To me, the only reason to get something in shrink wrap is if it's a 'collectible' that you can auction off for thousands in a few decades as being in 'mint condition'. since I actually want to *play* the game I buy, and therefore have to take the shrink wrap off myself, technically all the 'gutter' has done is save me a few seconds and the occasional bent fingernail.

Games are expensive anyway., even used ones. EB was selling pre-owned copied of MW2 for like NZ$130, which is still heaps. So long as the disk is clean and runs well and the box and instruction manual are tidy, I'm not going to waste blood pressure on it.

Adultratedhydra:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.

Just where in Australia do you work? The local EB in my hometown is pretty good. It has very pretty girls on the register and a relatively good stock of games. They are also all gamers and that's great. I've found EB to be fairly good and for me, gutting isn't an issue as long as I get my DLC codes and the disk doesn't look like it's been put through a tumble-drier.

Should be an interesting series, I myself worked at a Gamestop and it wasn't exactly a fun job.

But trust me, working almost full time as part manager of a McDonalds store near the city is among some of the most frustrating crappy jobs out there, I could write TEN pages of all the interesting, funny and bizarre stories and stuff that I dealt with. And trust me, after being in that work for such a long time you come across some really brain dead employees you wish you never hired.

Almost every game I have bought at gamestop has not been gutted. That's because in Norway they don't usually gut the boxes on the "sparkling" new video game. (maybe if the game they order are about 1-2 months old or used)

Edit: I don't even care about getting a gutted game in a "shrink cover"

Great article, we don't have a Gamestop in the UK (to my knowledge) but I just imagined you were working in my local Gamestation store because they sound exactly the same!

in regards to 'gutting' I do it in my store and we have dummy boxes.

The main reason being our district manager told us we were not allowed to use out of stock stickers, and the monumental amount of dummy boxes would cramp up the behind the counter. I should add at this point that i don't work for gamstop but a similar operation in the uk that also rents. I totally understand why people don't want gutted copies and would say just one thing..... pre-order!

Seriously most places i've been to you can get games cheaper by putting a deposit down ahead of time (which is refundable) and in my store those copies are put to one side still shrink wrapped and ready to be picked up.

rockyoumonkeys:
As someone who hates hates HATES HATES Gamestop's policy of gutting new games, it was nice to see it from an employee's perspective, but I read nothing but flimsy excuses and gross exaggerations meant to make the solutions far more difficult and "convoluted" than it really would be.

There's no excuse for gutting new games. NONE. I don't want to hear about costs or time or space, because anyone with half a brain can figure out solutions to all of those. Gamestop isn't even trying. New game sales are clearly an afterthought for them anyway, as they spend most of their efforts pushing used game sales on us. No Gamestop employee has ever pushed a new game on me, aside from harassing me about whether I want to pre-order something (I don't); in fact, quite the opposite: when I ask for a game, they automatically start digging around in the used drawer, and when I point out that I want it new, they give me a wicked attitude, either like I'm inconveniencing them, or that I'm a moron for paying $5 extra for a game that hasn't been mauled by a 12 year old.

I also flat out refuse gutted copies, which all told severely limits what I can buy at Gamestop, since the only games they ever seem to have new (ie "sealed") copies of are brand new releases. Everything else, all they have laying around are the gutted display copies. Even if they do have sealed copies, more than once they've STILL tried to sell me the gutted copy. I have to say "I want a sealed one, I know you have one, I saw it in the drawer." And again, more attitude. I don't care that you think I'm an obsessive wack job. I am absolutely an obsessive wack job. But your job is to sell me video games, so GET OVER IT, smile, and do your goddamn job.

Now, since the only games I can buy there are brand new releases, I'd say that more than 90% of my games are bought elsewhere. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, even K-Mart. They've all got this figured out, but a store DEDICATED TO GAMING can't figure out how to sell new video games honestly.

EDIT: I should point out that the reason I'm opposed to gutted copies is because most Gamestop employees are exceedingly careless when handling discs. I watch them when they "examine" my trade-ins (something which must be for show...they don't actually look at the disc long enough to notice anything beyond a disc-length gash or crack). I've examined display copies of games I simply can't find anywhere else, and they're dirty, dusty, almost always covered in fine scratches and/or fingerprints, and occasionally have a few more serious scratches as well. This is as often because of the cheap paper sleeves as from the employee's own carelessness.

Not to mention that we all know about how some less scrupulous employees "borrow" games from the store's stock. I know this practice has been outlawed, but I'm also certain it still happens. When display copies of games look as used as some of the ones I've seen, it's hard to believe otherwise.

So sure, some display copies will be in perfect shape, but many MANY of them won't be, and I'm not interested in closely examining every game before I buy it. Just sell it to me sealed and that problem's taken care of.

well mate, you clearly have NEVER worked retail because we get nerds like you occasionally, just dont buy the game or get them new...

Once games get past a certain age no store has the dummy boxes anymore, we could put them out live but then they would just get stolen. As a retailer I HATE SANCTIMONIOUS LITTLE CRETINS lecturing me on my job, we try our best where I work to keep as much stock sealed as possible and its easy enough to keep 90%+ of new games shrink wrapped, but the older back catalouge stuff wiill inevitably have to be gutted, or we simply would not bother selling it.

Batsamaritan:
As a retailer I HATE SANCTIMONIOUS LITTLE CRETINS lecturing me on my job

Then do your job better.

That was too easy, it's like you set it up on purpose.

Very good article. I didn't know he worked at Gamestop.

rockyoumonkeys you are wrong on every level, including genetic.

Unfortunately your glib response proves i'm right, and that your the guy who gets his food pissed in when he eats at restaurants. Any store doing their jobs correctly will give you a sealed copy and leave the gutted ones till last, its common sense, and find me a fool proof way of preventing theft and see the end of gutting completley. I'm not against people wanting their games sealed, but its annoying little pissants who have never once worked in retail and feel the need to lecture those who do who get laughed at and mocked as soon as they leave the store (plus the afformentioned pissed on food in restaurants) who need to shut the fuck up.

As for older games, most of which have had their prices slashed, what do you expect? No store I ever worked in had the copy depth to warrent putting out dummy boxes. At the end of the day take the games or leave them, no one really cares what you think, acting out to people trying to do their jobs makes you look like the cunt you clearly are.

Batsamaritan:
I totally understand why people don't want gutted copies and would say just one thing..... pre-order!

...or just walk into Bestbuy, Walmart, Target, etc. and pick up a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy.

EDIT: After seeing your above post, I'd like to know what store you work in so that I can show your manager how well you're representing the company.

BloodSquirrel:

Batsamaritan:
I totally understand why people don't want gutted copies and would say just one thing..... pre-order!

...or just walk into Bestbuy, Walmart, Target, etc. and pick up a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy.

EDIT: After seeing your above post, I'd like to know what store you work in so that I can show your manager how well you're representing the company.

unfortunately i'm not allowed to name the comapny i work in contractually, besides it's funny knowing you will wonder every time you go to a retailer. The point is, we who work behind the counter understand people frustrations, it's just utterly annoying having some know-it-all prat lecturing you arrogantly when most of the time your just following comapny policy. If you dont want the game just say so, its no problem, behaving like a twat towards some poor sod working behind a counter just makes you look stupid.

Batsamaritan:
behaving like a twat towards some poor sod working behind a counter just makes you look stupid.

Yes, and insulting the people you're trying to reason with is the absolute best way to convince them you're right.

OT: Look, I'm a GS employee, and frankly the bile being spewed in this thread is getting ridiculous. If you've had a bad personal experience at your GS, then you indeed have a right to be mad at them and never visit that store again.

Just don't forget that some people are actually competent employees who do their best to put the customer first, even at the detriment to his own percentages. (true story: on my first performance evaluation I was told that I'm customer service-focused "to a fault." I help customers TOO MUCH.)

I wish you guys could all come to my store. Baby you know I'll treat you right.

rockyoumonkeys:

Batsamaritan:
As a retailer I HATE SANCTIMONIOUS LITTLE CRETINS lecturing me on my job

Then do your job better.

That'd be like me posting:

rockyoumonkeys:
but because with the flood of teenagers swarming around, I just end up feeling old and creepy. Yeah, they're fun to ogle, but really.

Then stop trying to proposition them.

The guy's doing his job. Ignoring everything he said and extracting a single line of text kinda indicates you missed the point unilaterally. Some day, you may actually get a job, and then you'll understand you can't simply make up the rules as you go along, until that day, please attempt to be respectful.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here