Escape to the Movies: The Social Network

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Social Network

This week MovieBob posts an update about The Social Network.

Watch Video

Broken Video. It stops working ater 5 seconds :(

Excellent film analysis. I'd like to suggest that you cut down on the unironic self-deprecation though. It's getting a little old and is alienating people.

Good call on Timberlake too. Genuine triple threat indeed.

yellowhead:
Broken Video. It stops working ater 5 seconds :(

Try refreshing. It worked fine for me.

OT: The director of Fight Club shot a script by the mastermind of The West Wing? Sign me up.

Also: Yes, Justin Timberlake is the real deal. He got over that slightly embarrassing young person period every bit as successfully as Leonard DiCaprio.

In fact, we need a movie with those two guys in it. It'd kick ass.

Damn. I think I'm going to have to watch this movie now. I really enjoyed 21, and the way you describe this movie makes them sound very similar.

I first heard about this movie about 2 months ago in a teaser trailed. I have been waiting with baited breath ever since. I am hoping to actually see it tonight.

Good writer, good actors, good director, good review should = good movie.

First page FTW, so yeah, it's good, that's pretty much what every reviewer has said... good review anyway

I'm sure glad you explained what a triple threat was. Here I was, thinking he had a good on base percentage and could hit homers...

I hoped this movie would be great.

And I still do have hope for Spider-Man...

Okay, now its working =) Hey, it was a better comment then "FIRST OMGWTF!!!???"

But anyway, i wasn't gonna see this movie but now nearly all of the critics have been praising it then i might give it a look.

By the way MovieBob, what are your thoughts on the 'professional Troll' Armond White?

The critic who hated District 9, The Dark Knight, Every Pixar Movie and loved Transformers 2, Norbit, Epic Movie and Every Film that everyone hates. I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

Heh. I remember when I used to have a Facebook account :P

But I'm pleasantly surprised by the acclaim this movie has gotten. I think I'll give it a watch :)

I wasn't interested until I heard that Aaron Sorkin was involved. I can't see it this week but maybe next week.

Nahhhh

Never had any intention of watching, look really f'ng boring, like that crappy movie with the MIT kids, 21.

The problem is....real life sucks. The words "Based on a True Story" almost guarantees the movie will be shitty, because real life is boring. And therefore movies ABOUT real life are boring.

Writing, Acting and directing is really all it really takes to make a good movie. Thanks, I don't think I'd be able to convince any of my friends to go, but I'll definitely catch it on DVD if anything.

Huh. Well, I'll go see it then. Doubt I can get many people to see it with me, but the concept alone sells a ticket to me and I just really want to see their portrayal of Mr. Zuckerberg.

William Gibson <3

Anyhow, I'm actually surprised to see that this film is getting such positive reviews, the concept sounds absolutely horrible and gives me a foul taste in my mouth.

I was sold on the movie as soon as I heard Aaron Sorkin was attached. I'm a fan of his work, though not for the same reason as most. His movies are good, yes, but I didn't watch the West Wing. Instead I came to appreciate him with Studio 60.

And Moviebob, I'm with you on the Spiderman thing. I've got no hopes for it at all. I just don't understand the reason for a reboot (other than the obvious money reason) so soon. It's not like Batman where they are going to go back an delve deeper into the origins, the first one covered that..

I will definitely check this one out, it looks really good.

Finaly a positive review from you. It's been a while.

The Escapist is the only Social Network I need.
I'll still see this film though. Incidentally I wasn't a J.T. fan until he stopped making music.

Nnnnnnope.

While I'm sure it's really well done and everything, I cannot muster the strength to watch a movie like that. Basically because every single character from all the trailers and scenes I've seen is a huge prick and I don't really wanna spend money on that.

Thumbs up for the makers and actors though for making the movie good - if it is. Wasn't easy I'm sure.

I wish I wasn't on facebook, but I am, so there.

I am with you Bob. I utterly resent social networking sites. I don't add "friends of friends of friends" and i don't try to add everyone who used to be in my old schools. I only have an account because i was forced into it in early secondary school (high school to Americans) by friends and i only keep actual friends on there. I don't go around "liking" everything as i just don't see the point and i don't like how Facebook is used as some big marketing tool. Though i do like some implementations of it, such as signing in to some sites like GameTrailers through Facebook, or adding friends through Facebook in Starcraft 2 - that's pretty neat. The whole collecting friends and FarmVille thing can go to hell though.

This movie doesn't really strike me as being my sort of thing. I don't like seeing movies where nerds or socially inept people are the main protagonists because it makes them feel weak. I don't like having to identify with a character that i don't like, and when i see some curly-haired guy who probably couldn't get laid if he didn't invent a multi-million dollar concept like Facebook, i find it hard to like the character, let alone identify with him. This is backed up by him and his buddy supposedly backstabbing and suing each other, resulting in what amounts to most likely a film version of the video game Spy vs. Spy for the gameboy.

I'm not a big fan of "just drama" in general, nor naturalistic drama as i find it deathly boring. There needs to be a gun or something in there to keep my attention. For example, i love a movie where it's essentially focused on two people - a cop and a killer because of the stress that the killer will strike again and there's lives on the line. People bickering over money and IP strikes me as being incredibly petty. However, to receive all that praise from you and with the talent behind the script i am sure that the actual movie itself is good. It's just not for me.

OK, now that I've seen your review, I can scale back the skepticism I posted on your blog a few minutes ago regarding the track record of computer nerd movies. So re-file me under "cautious optimism". While I'm not a raving Sorkin fanboy like some of my friends, that's only a result of my lack of exposure to his work. What little I've seen of it, I've liked.

I do like stories where the smart guy wins by...um, being smart. On a related note, I recently watched the cult film Man From Earth, which is basically two hours with a couple of college professors in one room discussing what a 14,000 year old caveman would be like if he lived until present-day, and it was compelling as all hell.

You forgot one more thing that makes it cool. The music is done by Trent Reznor (and Atticus Ross). But Trent!

10BIT:
words

Cool avatar, looks kinda familiar.

Yay, MovieBob dislikes Facebook, just like me!

Seriin:

And Moviebob, I'm with you on the Spiderman thing. I've got no hopes for it at all. I just don't understand the reason for a reboot (other than the obvious money reason) so soon. It's not like Batman where they are going to go back an delve deeper into the origins, the first one covered that..

Probably because they're trying to reconnect the Marvel movies together, given that X-men, Spiderman, and a whole lot more would have some major problems interacting with each other when they finally combine them in the Avengers movie (think about this: How many of those movies were set in New York? How did all those heroes not interact with each other during the major incidents that occured in each movie (Magneto's giant mutation device, the mini sun Doc Ock made, etc.)?

I first become away of this movie becuase Trent Reznor (yes that one) is doing the soundtrack to it. It looks pretty excelent as a movie but i hope people don't just refer to it as "That facebook moive" it's more like "That movie about Mark Zuckerberg at Harvard"

Huh... I hadn't even heard of this one...

Well, if any movie is made to win several oscars starring "new" young actors, then this is it.

Although I'm encouraged by the acclaim, I still have no burning desire to plunk down my money to see it: when it comes right down to it, it may be an excellent character-driven drama, but it's still a character-driven drama. I have to be in a certain mood to want to watch those types of films.

I don't have to accept Timberlake as anything.
Also I still refuse to see this movie, mostly because I hate Facebook and don't want to have anything to do with it.

JaredXE:
Nahhhh

Never had any intention of watching, look really f'ng boring, like that crappy movie with the MIT kids, 21.

The problem is....real life sucks. The words "Based on a True Story" almost guarantees the movie will be shitty, because real life is boring. And therefore movies ABOUT real life are boring.

Sooo... you hate good movies unless they are fantasy? Just because a movie doesn't have the 'based on real life' tag doesn't mean it wasn't based in some way on real life.

That's far too broad of a statement to be valid, so either you're a troll or ummm... life = boring, so anything based on it must be boring?

Last time I checked anything thought up of or made by people, realistic or not, is still uh, in reality. Arghh, I can't even comprehend, curse you troll or illogical person!!

OT: I never liked Facebook, but I think the premise of following a well written/directed/acted movie about a young person who created one of the most internet changing and popular sites is good enough to watch.

canadamus_prime:
Also I still refuse to see this movie, mostly because I hate Facebook and don't want to have anything to do with it.

That's a little childish, no one from facebook is even remotely involved in this movie. It has about as much financial links to facebook as Zodic or Seven do. That's like saying you will never see the godfather becuase you dissaprove of the Mafia.

Well, I thought to myself, "this movie is gonna suck." Now Im interested in seeing it, Thanks Bob.

Is anyone else having the problem where they pause the video (to read Bob's comment on the Spider-Man reboot for example) then when you start it playing again an ad pops up and restarts the video when it finishes?
Can we not just have ads at the beginning, annoying though it was? I prefer it to ads waiting to ambush me

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:

That's a little childish, no one from facebook is even remotely involved in this movie. It has about as much financial links to facebook as Zodic or Seven do. That's like saying you will never see the godfather becuase you dissaprove of the Mafia.

While I agree with you, I still know that the media will spin it's popularity to be relative to Facebook's success. I suppose I don't care, I'm used to people being over-zealous about Facebook, it just helps me boost my 'ignoring' skills (which I try to differentiate from 'ignorance', but that's a skill in and of itself)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here