Escape to the Movies: The Social Network

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

MovieBob:
Snippy Snips

CBF'd checking the previous comments but Bobby mah dear boy, FYI: David Fincher is directing the American Remake of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," also the screenplay was written by Steven Zaillian who is also writing the rest of the American Remake of the Millennium Trilogy. The only thing stopping my below the belt area from exploding is that Daniel Craig is playing Mikael Blomkvist, and Rooney Mara's look doesn't match the Lisbeth Salander doesn't physically match the Lisbeth Salander from the book or Swedish movie, hopefully we'll be able to look past that little error of judgement.

PS: I know the words "American Remake" usually spell doom, but i have faith entirely due to the great choice in Writer and Director, good on you, Columbia.

EDIT: Eh, nevermind, Just read your Intermission, as it turns out you already know, ah well. I at least sounded intellegent for a split second.

Good to know it's good than.

Also good to know Garfield is good. I know you might have your doubts but they have a good director, they'll have a good budget, and they now have a good main role, I mean, it's less likely it'll fail now. Right?

I wont go and see this movie simply because Justin Timberlake in it.

I fucking hate that guy and everything he does.

I wasn't really sure about this movie except for the fact that I've liked Jesse Eisenberg in everything I've seen him in. Maybe I'll actually go see it now.

BTW, I agree about Timberlake. We all knew he could dance, his solo music career actually turned out pretty good and I knew he could act after that Matrix spoof during the MTV music awards.

Yeah....no I really dont care how Facebook got started or how rich the guy that made it is...

Why do I care about millionaire stories?

-shrug- Doesnt even seem to interest me....films in the fall seem to be crap

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:
I don't have to accept Timberlake as anything.
Also I still refuse to see this movie, mostly because I hate Facebook and don't want to have anything to do with it.

That's a little childish, no one from facebook is even remotely involved in this movie. It has about as much financial links to facebook as Zodic or Seven do. That's like saying you will never see the godfather becuase you dissaprove of the Mafia.

Ok let me rephrase that, I hate Facebook and couldn't give 2 shits about the story of it's founder.

yellowhead:
Broken Video. It stops working ater 5 seconds :(

click on the embedded video and use the link, i had the same issue and that seemed to solve it

Delock:

Seriin:

And Moviebob, I'm with you on the Spiderman thing. I've got no hopes for it at all. I just don't understand the reason for a reboot (other than the obvious money reason) so soon. It's not like Batman where they are going to go back an delve deeper into the origins, the first one covered that..

Probably because they're trying to reconnect the Marvel movies together, given that X-men, Spiderman, and a whole lot more would have some major problems interacting with each other when they finally combine them in the Avengers movie (think about this: How many of those movies were set in New York? How did all those heroes not interact with each other during the major incidents that occured in each movie (Magneto's giant mutation device, the mini sun Doc Ock made, etc.)?

But that is the Marvel Universe. It's almost all in New York. Spider-man, Punisher, Daredevil, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and Shield Headquarters are all based on Manhattan Island (I think Spider-man lives in Brooklyn, but he works in Manhattan) and the X-men are upstate and always going to New York, and yet they only interact when there's a special or cross over. The most you get, usually, is villains switching which hero they fight. But even that is usually temporary.

They aren't rebooting Spider-man and X-men because of some continuity thing that's easily (if really lamely) explained away. (Nobody else new about Doc Ock's secret lab, nobody else knew about the Statue of Liberty, etc.). They're rebooting because Spider-man 3 and X-men 3 sucked. And sucked hard. And ruined the franchise for a lot of people.

Wolf Devastator:

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:
Also I still refuse to see this movie, mostly because I hate Facebook and don't want to have anything to do with it.

That's a little childish, no one from facebook is even remotely involved in this movie. It has about as much financial links to facebook as Zodic or Seven do. That's like saying you will never see the godfather becuase you dissaprove of the Mafia.

While I agree with you, I still know that the media will spin it's popularity to be relative to Facebook's success. I suppose I don't care, I'm used to people being over-zealous about Facebook, it just helps me boost my 'ignoring' skills (which I try to differentiate from 'ignorance', but that's a skill in and of itself)

Well most people just blindly dismissing the film becuase they hate facebook would do well to remember this is a David Fincher film, and a very good one at that. Regardless of anyone trying to look alternative my over-zelously hating on facebook this is still a good movie and still has jack all to do with the site apart from being a plot catalyst. This is first and foremost a human drama from one of the kings of human drama (See Fight Club, Zodiac) and should not be disreagrded on the basis of having something to do with a social phenomenon you think you are too cool to like.

canadamus_prime:

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:

Ok let me rephrase that, I hate Facebook and couldn't give 2 shits about the story of it's founder.

Go read intermission. I hate it when people just dissmiss something tenoiously related to something else becuase of their own personal ingrained hatred. This is a good movie on it's own dispite your feelings about the site.

"It's not about Facebook. It's about themes as old as storytelling. It's about friendship and loyalty and betrayal ... power, class, jealousy. The sort of things that Escalus would write about, that Shakespeare would write about, that a few years ago Paddy Chayevsky would write about." - Aaron Sorkin, writer

Holy cow.... it is good? Haven't paid much attention to all this. (Didn't even know who wrote and directed). All i heard was "Facebook" and i went my merry way. Well... seems like i will be watching it soon.

Scrumpmonkey:

Wolf Devastator:

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:

While I agree with you, I still know that the media will spin it's popularity to be relative to Facebook's success. I suppose I don't care, I'm used to people being over-zealous about Facebook, it just helps me boost my 'ignoring' skills (which I try to differentiate from 'ignorance', but that's a skill in and of itself)

Well most people just blindly dismissing the film becuase they hate facebook would do well to remember this is a David Fincher film, and a very good one at that. Regardless of anyone trying to look alternative my over-zelously hating on facebook this is still a good movie and still has jack all to do with the site apart from being a plot catalyst. This is first and foremost a human drama from one of the kings of human drama (See Fight Club, Zodiac) and should not be disreagrded on the basis of having something to do with a social phenomenon you think you are too cool to like.

While I try to play it off as 'too cool', I'm just an anti-social kinda person, although if it wasn't for the ridiculous Facebook/Myspace games I'm pretty sure I'd have no problem with the site by now.

Again, not disagreeing with you, I'm still gonna watch it especially after watching this review, I'm just hoping news sites don't think that it got "Best film of the year" because it was related to Facebook.

Ok so the movie isn't about facebook, that deflated most of my initial disgust. But it's still... about facebook. Which still makes me roll my eyes. Plus the main character looks like a gigantic tool, and we are supposed to be rooting for this 'protagonist'?

I'm so glad that you think this is a good movie. I was interested, and now I will definitely go see it.

With the title "Social Network" the topic Facebook and the actor Justin Timberlake all shoved into one movie I was not expecting to hear its good. May have to take a look.

Still got to say I'm disappointed in one major way. Seriously, Facebook got a movie before say Halflife, or Starcraft, or anything by William Gibson (Johny Mnemonic does not count). I mean
FACEBOOK got a movie???

saw it at midnight. well worth it.
Arguably one of the best movies this year, and easily one of my favorites of all time.
Instant classic.

Really can't want to see this. Fincher is easily one of my favourite directors, and the reviews are doing it a lot of justice.

Wow, I haven't seen ore even heard of the VR Troopers in years...

Anyway I think I'll skip this movie, it just doesn't look that interesting to me.

I was only mildly interested until I saw David Fincher's name on a TV Spot last night.

Now I'm totally interested.

yellowhead:
Broken Video. It stops working ater 5 seconds :(

Lol I wonder if you would get suspended for that comment if u posted it at 12:01.
OT: I also am not a huge fan of facebook. By that I mean that I understand how it's pretty much perfect in every way and can be a huge part of people's social lives, but I just don't really care all that much about the things that are going on in other people's lives. I have my own life to live and I seriously doubt any of my friends' is much more exciting, and I sure as hell don't want to announce to half of my town everything (or even anything) that's going on in my life. However, this fact did not make this movie appeal less to me. In fact, I'd say it made me more excited about it. I thought "maybe it will give people an objective view of what facebook actually is and give them some perspective on what has possibly become the most important their life."
When I saw the preview for it, I thought it looked extremely interesting and promising, and I knew that it would be popular because...well....it's about facebook. In general, the concept might seem boring when described, but movies like this that are about a small group of people versus the corporate, judiciary, and bureaucratic onslaught that comes with a spark of inventiveness can be extremely intense, relevant, and impactful. It's easy to imagine how the creator(s) of an idea like facebook can be unjustly sued by some mega corporation that claims it's their own. Put yourself in that situation- think of how impossible it would be to disprove them or gain any support. It's extremely nerve-wracking and frustrating, and the audience always pulls for the little guy with all their might, but it's beyond the viewers control.

I honestly don't care what anyone says, I am not going to see this movie. It could be the next godfather for all I care, but if there is anything I hate more then Facebook, it's Zuckerberg.

Yep, feels good that it's October, favorite month mainly because of that one day celebrated in it.

On topic. While I know Social Network might be an outstanding movie, or might not be, I'd still rather just go see Inception again. But hey, good review all in all.

Not actually about Facebook...but, how it was born...I think, I can somewhat live with that, but...I, still feel a link to facebook, its, one im going to have to rent I think

Sorry Bob but to me this movie still sounds like a pretentious pile of dino feces. Even you cant make it sound interesting try as hard as you did. So I guess this is a perfect example of the disconnect between movie goers and movie snobs. Where movie snobs blow their load over anything even slightly socially relevant it just sounds and looks dumb to regular movie goers. Similar to how I feel about movies like say Equilibrium.

Boooring Cliche Teen Drama movie with Facbook (duh) flavor.

With excelent music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Also: Yes, Justin Timberlake is the real deal. He got over that slightly embarrassing young person period every bit as successfully as Leonard DiCaprio.

In fact, we need a movie with those two guys in it. It'd kick ass.

Yeah! A buddy-cop movie! But they're dinosaurs! That time travel! XD

Scrumpmonkey:

canadamus_prime:

Sorry, I'm with Canadamus on this. Whether or not it has anything to do with Bookface or not, it's still promoting it as something that's great.
I like Ridley Scott. I don't like his Apple commercial - for exactly the same reasons.

This isn't a movie about Faceache, as Bob said, but it's a movie that promotes ideas embedded into it that are a social toxin - and is itself as much a social toxin as those god-awful Meet The Spartans.

It's about taking Nerds and making them Jocks - at its base. Letting the Jocks know what that Nerds are just Jocks with Social problems and Mental Muscles.

That's bullcrap; and I'm surprised that Bob supports this film. Perhaps there just have been too few good ones around recently.

This, as a film, is like Mazes & Monsters. It ignores what's actually happening to spoonfeed the idea to the audience that "These guys aren't so bad". I'd be surprised if their cute puppy dog wasn't called Zynga.

Sorry, apathy is always easier to show, and that means I won't be seeing this. You can quote me as "Oh you're so..." but, imho, this film is just showing sexualised fiction as history - and I don't go in for all that.

great review and i love spiderman, so i hope the movie is atleast half way good

Am I the only person on the planet with some faith in the Spidey reboot? And I'm a comic book fan who has no faith in comic movies not made by Marvel. The chick from Easy A and Zombieland, this guy you mentioned, who's name I already forgot, and taking it back to where Spider-Man really shone, IE High School, all seem like amazing ideas to me. I don't get why everyone's automatically in hate-mode for the reboot. I mean, the old ones were good, but they could have been better, and they really needed to make Spidey funnier. And, really, if Sony's not a complete group of retards, they'll see why Marvel's movies are so damn good and make Spider-man loyal to the source material.

Gaaah! This review looses me as soon as Bob takes the first best opportunity to bitch about the Spiderman reboot for the hundredth time in recent memory. Seriously, I'm not saying I like the idea of a Spiderman reboot, I'm not even that bothered by Bob's fan-rage over it, but please, save it for the appropriate time and place...

Shame, other than that, it was a really good review

Wait...it's good? Uhm my world...it makes no sense...I guess that i'll go see it.

yes... it's not shit...

i'll check it out sooner or later.

Wow. I did not expect a movie about facebook to seemingly be so good. There's only one problem: no matter how good of a movie it is, I just don't care about it.

I went into the movie thinking it would be stupid, overexaggerated and lame, and it was overexaggerated but it wasn't stupid and lame, it was awesome.

bojac6:
They aren't rebooting Spider-man and X-men because of some continuity thing that's easily (if really lamely) explained away. (Nobody else new about Doc Ock's secret lab, nobody else knew about the Statue of Liberty, etc.). They're rebooting because Spider-man 3 and X-men 3 sucked. And sucked hard. And ruined the franchise for a lot of people.

Technically, they're rebooting Spider-Man for two reasons, neither of which have anything to do with the studio disliking the 3rd one - they DON'T, it made the most money of the entire series ;) Also, the people "in charge" of the reboot are the ones who suggested/insisted-upon all the stuff that went wrong in part 3 and then fired the director when he wouldn't let them pull the same stuff on #4.

REASON #2: Every studio wants to have their own version of "Twilight," and Sony is betting that sending Spider-Man back to High School and involving him in "love triangle" situations with other characters this can be theirs. The last anyone heard about the proposed story it was a "new" origin-story built around a Peter/MJ/Gwen Stacy/Flash Thompson fighting-over-boyfriends/girlfriends deal with smaller-scale action stuff and minimal use of the Spider-Man costume (though that may have changed) so... basically they want "Twilight" but with the genders-swapped and now Bella is Spider-Man. Sounds awesome ;)

REASON #1: If Sony doesn't make another Spider-Man movie within a certain amount of time, the "movie rights" to the character revert back to Marvel Films. If that happens, Marvel would likely immediately fold the character into their "shared universe" (Coming Soon: "The Avengers meet SPIDER-MAN!!!!") and make a FORTUNE, and a bunch of mid-level executives at Sony would get axed as "the guys who let Spider-Man get away." This is also why Fox is re-doing X-Men and Fantastic Four, though at least X-Men seems to be going in an interesting direction...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here