Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Any game that gets you happy there's a closet to hide in rocks!

Apparently gamers do watch this before deciding..

"Interestingly, the developers didn't notice much in the way of a correlation between the positive review scores Amnesia has received and any direct spikes in unit sales. The notable exceptions were the release of reviews on Zero Punctuation and GameSpot. Sales quadrupled from roughly 150 per day to about 600 per day around the time those outlets published their review coverage. "
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66172

If Yahtzee likes a game it means something, because he rarely dishes out positive reviews. This game is really worth it, it's very tense and scary. I enjoyed every second of it and i can only recommend it!

I found Dead Space to be scary, but it's a conditional kind of scary. You have to turn up the difficulty, turn down the brightness, and not use Stasis. Also, in my experience, games are scarier on PC because it's more immersive than on a television 10 feet away.

Also, there were plenty of times that Dead Space had the type 2 scare factor. Of course, if you didn't do any of the above, these scenes will be a bore.

Excellent review, and the game is TERRIFYING. I'm still getting through it... have to take a break frequently, or my RL sanity takes too much of a beating.

Raptorace18:
Does anyone else find the Back hall area to have a sort of eerie beauty about it? The combination of the music and the strange architecture always makes the phrase 'Hauntingly Beautiful' pass through my mind.

I would say that's your reward for getting through the water level... It's like feeling calmly and pleasurably at peace after having really good sex. They let you have a little respite... before throwing you back in to the terror.

It's something they do really really well, and it makes me want to come back for more.

i have played the demo and it was ok, but not my thing of constantly running away all the time. if it would be like mirror's edge were you can use your fists/feet (without the running on walls and jumping offcourse), no guns, then i could enjoy it.
because in mirror's edge confronting the enemy was also not a good option. especially against these trained runners you sure dint want to be close to them.
i hope you understand what i try to say here.

also operating things with the mouse is not something i can be befriended with, like closing doors. every times i let go of the door when i had it shut, it opened up again. i rather press a button to close/open something or pick up anything you can pick up. then press the left mouse to use it or hit the enemy with it.
i am not saying the game is bad just not my kind of game-play.

And its on mac. which its why its selling so well.

You know, Amnesia was my favourate Game this year. I've played through it 3 times and it still scares me :)

Time to send some out as Christmas gifts. Tis the season to give out horror to the ones you love hehe.

Tontomanzz:
Time to send some out as Christmas gifts. Tis the season to give out horror to the ones you love hehe.

I would if it wern't for the fact that I gave my friend the demo and he quit and ran into the bathroom after the first 4 minutes (mind you- no monster encounters yet)

...oh and if it matters; he's 18

I played the demo of 'Amnesia'... I will never go swimming again

I love this episode

Amnesia is definitely on my games to purchase list, but all things considered I'll still wait till it goes on sale. It's one of those games that are interesting, but I might still like CoC Dark Corners of the Earth, a bit better. I'll have to wait and see.

i got my self this game yesterday since it was 50% off on steam. i have played over 5 hours and so far the game dint scare me one bit. yes, you read correctly, it dint scare me. the atmosphere is really nice but scary, not for me. i see a monster i just hide in a wardrobe or in the shadows. big deal.
i love walking in the dark, but pusszilla seams to be so afraid of the dark that he always needs his light fix. which annoys me a bit.
but overall, it is a very well made game. it is different to have no weapons and stay far away from the monsters as possible. so this all is really good, just that it doesnt scare me as i hope it would.
now it installed a expansion with the indication it will have 20% more horror. now im wondering if this has an affect to the whole game.
anyway, good game, just not scary for me.

I almost pissed myself at the "abloogy woogy woo" part. You sir are fucking fantastic.

Do you know what's sad? This is the slowest (and perhaps only one to not be completely "computed" by GLaDOS) indie Steam game of the Potato Sack.

why i can't watch it? a time ago was he working.

Ever notice that Doom 3 is written more like Doom cubed

C95J:
I really wish me and my pants could handle horror games, so I could actually play them, and have fun. Not play them... for 2 minutes then shut down my computer, before going to play Viva Pinata to calm myself down.

I feel like I am missing out on a whole new genre of games... which I sort of am. Damn it!

same here- paranoid nutjob at your service! -bows- yeah, I like story, but as for watching or playing anything horror related- means me getting no sleep for 2 weeks. I tried to get myself accustomed and desensitized to horror-didn't work- I actually ended up taking my glasses off and turning the volume to 1...aren't I pathetic? XD

after reading most of the comments here, i feel like i am the only person here who dint get scared by this game. no, seriously, this game dint scare me. i was actually happy to see a monster every now and then. lol.
but i agree with yahtzee, its not great but good.

Metalrocks:
after reading most of the comments here, i feel like i am the only person here who dint get scared by this game. no, seriously, this game dint scare me. i was actually happy to see a monster every now and then. lol.
but i agree with yahtzee, its not great but good.

We're you playing with headphones on and all covered in darkness?

In which case when the iron maiden opened surely you at least jumped!! I totally saw something coming there because of the scary-azz face ontop of it and I still flipped when it shot open.

retterkl:

We're you playing with headphones on and all covered in darkness?

In which case when the iron maiden opened surely you at least jumped!! I totally saw something coming there because of the scary-azz face ontop of it and I still flipped when it shot open.

i played it with my 5.1 surround speakers. and light is always off when i play.

lol, you jumped at that part? lmao!!! it was so clear that something would happen. i even expected a monster jumping out. so the answer is NO, i dint jump at that part.

i dint jump or got scared at any scenes. neither when i saw the first monster, or when i have bin chased by a monster (like in the jail section when you walk up the stairs), or when any doors just opened, or heard something weird. not even in the cellar when this invisible thing in the water comes at you or even chases you. i got even bored when i was in the sewer bc it was so clear that i will encounter few monsters there.
i dint even jump when i suddenly died and woke up in a cell after that. i was more like, "WTF??? why did i die?".
the atmosphere is really good just not scary for me. so yeah, nothing creeped me out or scared me.

Amnesia? Not scary. Doom 3? Scary.

Amnesia? Not scary. Doom 3? Scary. DP sorry damn escapist.

I know it's unusual for me to play a lower-profile, two-year-old indie game when there are big juicy mainstream targets doing the fandance in my sights. But while I like keeping up to date, it's slightly eclipsed by my love of celebrating the weeks around Halloween. So Halo 4 (or more likely the Halo 1 remake, since it's officially cheaper): considered to be on my to-play bucket for another year.

It's very strange how I just beat Amnesia a second time, just as Halo 4 is coming out. And yet I don't care much about Halo.

Amnesia & the Penumbra games, definitely the best of the genre of the modern era.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here