Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Haha, "Faster than you can say Cthulu Ftaghn", classic.

esperandote:
Which game pretends to erase your save files? Penumbra?

Now this reference I did not really get. I played Overture, Black Plague and Requiem (I regret the latter) and I can't recall it, but it was a while ago.. Maybe Yahtzee was just going crazy from Amnesia?

RowdyRodimus:
The game looks interesting, if I had the money I'd check it out (if this computer can run it), but this is the first ZP I didn't even crack a smile to. Oh well, I'm sure next week will get me.

it probably wont. i contacted frictional games a week or so ago about it refusing to work and still havent gotton a response. plus their support forums dont help

cthulhu fhta...oh shit *eaten by moster*

and wall jam is delsh.

Not to be a jerk, but to the best of my knowledge, when Nintendo released Eternal Darkness, they copyrighted the use of a sanity meter mechanic in a video game. I'm wondering how it works in this game, and also if Frictional Games are going to end up getting sued.

Here's hoping not. The DMCA is already enough of a stain on software production. We don't need any more EA/ESPN borsefeathers stunts hampering creativity.

therandombear:
And I got really angre first time I played Eternal Darkness and screen went black and told you your save files were corrupt and started deleting, geez I was angry...and felt quite dumb when the screen returned to normal and I had just thrown the GC controller in the couch...

That sanity effect honestly scared me more than the horror in the game. Seeing it the first time made me go...insane, thinking that my GameCube was somehow being hacked from somewhere and that they could see what I was doing through my TV.

OT: Funny review, game definitely might be worth a look or two.

Draenys:

esperandote:
Which game pretends to erase your save files? Penumbra?

Now this reference I did not really get. I played Overture, Black Plague and Requiem (I regret the latter) and I can't recall it, but it was a while ago.. Maybe Yahtzee was just going crazy from Amnesia?

Eternal Darkness, the awesome game that could've been a great series had the developer not gone crazy and make Too Human.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

What do you think is the line between "independent" and "Mainstream?"

Take for example Minecraft, a game that is basically Legos of an entire world that is addictive as crack being sold for 14 bucks online is now making 350,000 dollars a day since a person is downloading it every 3 seconds.

CronoT:
Not to be a jerk, but to the best of my knowledge, when Nintendo released Eternal Darkness, they copyrighted the use of a sanity meter mechanic in a video game.

I'm not even going to try and dig that up, but the idea just seems silly to me. Woo, copyrighting stuff!

Damn you Yahtzee. I was all nice and content trying to forget this game existed until I had money to spend again, and here you come along actually praising what I viewed as the finest looking horror game I've seen in years! I STILL DON'T HAVE MONEY TO SPEND! It's in my head...calling me....

Amnesia is marked as "Steam Play", meaning you can play it on either machine. :)

se7ensenses:
2:05 mark I LMBO!!!

Laughed your boobs off?

A friend of mine has been bugging me to play this, I think I might. I didn't do Penumbra because it had spiders.

Disaster Button:

se7ensenses:

Laughed your boobs off?

A friend of mine has been bugging me to play this, I think I might. I didn't do Penumbra because it had spiders.

Wut? You didn't play a scary game because you thought something in it was scary? :)

(btw... bugging you to play it - spiders - Ar ar ar.)

So sick of hearing about this game, mainly because I don't have a PC to play it on and I want to play it badly.

I don't enjoy horror games.

I'm not a big fan of being scared. Or the other forms of horror, gore.

MMMMMmmmmmmmm Protagonist Pie. . . . . its definitely up there in the top 7 pies. . . . although i do like a spot of Protagonist Crumble from time to time as well

Well, not a very funny review... you obviously liked it too much!

After finishing the Penumbra games a couple weeks ago for the first time, I'm certainly looking forward to Amnesia. I just have too many other things to play first right now.

I've got to admit, that little recap scene was the first thing in ZP that made me laugh in a long time.
With this and some of the more recent reviews making me smirk at least, it seems Yahtzee is getting his funny back.

Velocinox:

Disaster Button:

se7ensenses:

Laughed your boobs off?

Wut? You didn't play a scary game because you thought something in it was scary? :)

Oh I didn't even notice that pun, woops.

I love scary games with a passion but I have a real life phobia of spiders and couldn't bear to put myself in that situation. It may not be as bad as I imagine but I'd rather not risk it. So yes actually, I guess you're right.

ComatoseSheep:
MMMMMmmmmmmmm Protagonist Pie. . . . . its definitely up there in the top 7 pies. . . . although i do like a spot of Protagonist Crumble from time to time as well

Top 7? Oh, please, it's clearly in a low 40's. I can't even begin to describe the varieties of pie that are sweeter, more refined.. and how frequently do you get to taste protagonist pie, anyway? Hardly ever! You know why? Because it tastes awful!

There's always the chunky bits of pathetic attempts at backstory, and it tastes like somebody had a good idea but lost it over conforming to other examples of genre.. I swear, if I ever have to eat another one (and I always have to eat my pies, bro) then I might be sick. I can just imagine the chunks of cliché one-liners now... ugh..

It's weird. I was hoping he'd review this game, but expected him to review Halo. Colour me pleasently surprised.

I got this game last week, and freaking loved it. And by getting it, I mean my brother got it and I watched him play it since I'm too craven to play a survival horror game of this caliber.

The only horror game I've actually been scared off without even playing. I sat through Silent Hill 2 and 3 with nary a flinch.

I hate FPP but love a good horror title. Now I'm torn. BTW, what game pretended to erase save files?

N1ceDreamz:
"OH PISSING BLIMEY THERE'S JAM COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!"
You never fail to please Yahtzee.

Now my favorite line in the series with the close second being the last line in the Bioshock review.

Well! Definetly gonna look into this! Like a good scare!

I really loved that he did this review. I think this game deserves quite a lot of attention right now as being the only few actually "Survival Horror" games around. Its pacing isn't bad and all of Croshaw's gripes are true. But for 15~20$ you really can't go wrong.

There was a part while playing a I literally could not continue. I took off my headphones and started chatting with someone with the lights on. It really creates good tension.

Just remember; Always play in the dark and with the sound as close to your ears as possible. Alone preferable. It will get the blood pumping.

CronoT:
Not to be a jerk, but to the best of my knowledge, when Nintendo released Eternal Darkness, they copyrighted the use of a sanity meter mechanic in a video game. I'm wondering how it works in this game, and also if Frictional Games are going to end up getting sued.

Here's hoping not. The DMCA is already enough of a stain on software production. We don't need any more EA/ESPN borsefeathers stunts hampering creativity.

Source? I can think of at least one game that has used sanity effects without being sued: Call of cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth. So maybe they didn't copyright sanity being a part of the game, maybe they only copyrighted visible sanity meters? You never see exactly how much sanity you have left in Amnesia or CoC: Dark corners of the earth.

I think the escapist store totally needs to make "Abloogy woogy woo" T-shirts.

I feel kind of sad that many people that seem to think that the game seems cool won't buy the game because the game is too good at being scary =(

Bobbovski:

CronoT:

Source? I can think of at least one game that has used sanity effects without being sued: Call of cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth. So maybe they didn't copyright sanity being a part of the game, maybe they only copyrighted visible sanity meters? You never see exactly how much sanity you have left in Amnesia or CoC: Dark corners of the earth.

I thought that Nintendo copy-righted video game INSANITY because of how crazy that game was.

Moving on, I enjoyed the review; especially Yahtzee's thought process. Epic. XD

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

As much as I want to play games like this my imagination just goes bonkers while playing them. I know that is the point but, I really get freaked out. I almost stopped playing the Cradle in the last Thief game because I was so freaked out walking up the stair case that I didn't want to open the door at the top.

I'm off to check out the game now. Thanks Yahtzee!

Disaster Button:

Oh I didn't even notice that pun, woops.

Velocinox:

TIME TO RAIN ON YOUR PARADE!

Spiders are not bugs, therefore it does not count as a pun.

I really wish me and my pants could handle horror games, so I could actually play them, and have fun. Not play them... for 2 minutes then shut down my computer, before going to play Viva Pinata to calm myself down.

I feel like I am missing out on a whole new genre of games... which I sort of am. Damn it!

Dude you should review Minecraft.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or