Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Therumancer:
Hmmm, well to be entirely honest I am not too fond of survival horror games without a decent combat mechanic.

Cool, well then you should be happy that you have every other survival horror game ever made. For those of us that want to try something different however, there's this game.

I long ago ceased even caring what game you were reviewing and I just started enjoying watching you rip it into so many pieces that game developers are probably gonna start releasing more ridiculously violent games in the hope that Australia will ban them and the developers can avoid 4 weeks in a drunken state sobbing about how their mom never loved them. This state would of course be a direct effect of your chain saw directly to the balls reviews. In other words: Keep up the good work you marvelously jaded and satirical genius you. Cheers.

How strange, I was just about to email you asking if you would be able to review it even though I know you sometimesalways never read the mail. Nice game, nice review. Good job again, keep up the good work.

Therumancer:

Of course, perhaps it's the sadistic PnP GM in me, but when I run horror RPGs as my players find out just because you have weapons does not mean they are going to be effective. I've sort of been waiting to see if some game designer was going to ever develop a game with a combat engine, but where none of the weapons were effective, just for lulz to address this issue ("OMG! What do you mean LAW Rockets just bounce off" - quote from Knights Of The Dinner Table).

To be fair Amnesia kind of does this. There's nothing stopping you from using the clicky-draggy physics to throw rocks at enemies or grab a hammer and wail on them penumbra-style, it's just a futile effort that will get you instantly killed, hence the game doesn't bother to suggest it.

And FWIW you start out in a derelict castle in the arse-end of nowhere, mid-19th century Prussia with no possessions.

I must admit I was surprised I've enjoyed this so much in some ways. I'll join you in detesting the chase in Dark Corners of the Earth (god that pissed me off so badly, though I found the investigation beforehand relatively fun - very evocative of the books and PnP game), and I generally have little patence for stealth games. But being mind-numbingly terrified of moving on kind of counteracts my impatience, monsters don't come in hordes, so dying that many times is unlikely unless you get stuck on the water monster or something, and the game doesn't make DCotE's terrible mistake of demanding you follow the optimum route, blocking the way behind you at every opportunity (despite not knowing where those opportunities are), and execute it near-perfectly in order to succeed, so you can actually be somewhat inventive and tactical in your evasion.

Finished it... but didn't find it scary at all. The only thing that startled me was the scene Yahtzee mentioned. I mean, you see all the monsters a mile away.

runtheplacered:

Therumancer:
Hmmm, well to be entirely honest I am not too fond of survival horror games without a decent combat mechanic.

Cool, well then you should be happy that you have every other survival horror game ever made. For those of us that want to try something different however, there's this game.

Sort of true.

Though I will point out that adding combat is actually the aspect that defined survival horror, along with hording the resources for it and picking your battles carefully.

I guess what sort of bugs me about this innovation is that it's a step backwards, there are tons of "Adventure Games" that used a similar mentality, this includes the real time elements of monsters moving around in differant locations and having to avoid them and so on. Sierra produced a few of these if I recall, not to mention tons of other companies during the whole golden age of adventure games.

Yahtzee enjoys Adventure games though, so I'm not surprised he liked this a lot. As far as I go, I've enjoyed a lot of them, but my overall opinion is mixed.

If my comments seemed fairly negative, I guess a lot of it comes down to feeling that with the mainstream coming into gaming, that the industry is actually regressing. We've seen a return of interactive movies ("Heavy Rain", which is similar to things like "The Daedalus Encounter", "Gadget", and other similar products of yesteryear), and of course games like this which despite the new technology seem like something someone would have made 15 years ago.

Retro doesn't bother me really, I after all defend turn based RPGs and such, however I guess I find this alarming for the simple reason that I'm concerned it represents a trend.

Consider that the Silent Hill remake used a similar idea, removing the combat elements from the game. While this makes a game more approchable to casuals (I am not sure if I believe it had anything to do with immersion for reasons I mentioned about realistic reactions), I don't think it nessicarly makes it a better game overall.

Perhaps we will see a compromise like the original "Alone In The Dark" where you could say trick a group of Cannibals, or walk in with a shotgun and kill them all if so inclined.

4 days until the destruction of Halo: Reach.

I simply wanted to say that your Amnesia Dark Descent review was good! Inspiring words from a twat. Funny but you did actually point out it's a decent game I was worried you were just going to bash it in which case I'd be one of those annoying Mario Fanboys. Any ways nice not talking to you. Bye.

Sounds pretty fun, I think I'll have to check it out at some point when I have funding again.

I'm stick of horror elements overall. Not horror games, mind you- I'm perfectly fine with 'Silent Hill 2' and 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' being here- just as a shoved-in thing.

Mainly, I'm sick of horror elements in FPSes. I just want to have fun blowing things up, so why do FPSes feel it necessary to shove horror down our throats? This wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't apply to almost every FPS that has a fantastical setting, like 'Gears of War', 'Painkiller' and even 'Metroid Prime' at times.

Nice review. I do agree with atmospheric imagination-provoking horror being the best. Sadly, we're not going to get it in this competitive day and age, where producers don't want to make anything that's too easy to make, as you noted with your Extra Punctuation article 'Space, Flying and Space Flying'. Just because I don't like horror at all, doesn't mean I don't know what makes good horror.

Therumancer:
Consider that the Silent Hill remake used a similar idea, removing the combat elements from the game. While this makes a game more approchable to casuals (I am not sure if I believe it had anything to do with immersion for reasons I mentioned about realistic reactions), I don't think it nessicarly makes it a better game overall.

Survival horror isn't centered around combat, although it's by not entirely discouraged; it's purely about survival by any means possible. The combat in 'Silent Hill 2' was crappy as hell, but desperately mashing the X Button to get the most powerful attack with your stick really got across the feeling of desperation and weakness that survival horror is meant to be known for. Getting rid of combat entirely just heightens the feeling of weakness and desperation.

Hmm a game that scares Yahtzee...guess I better keep right away from that one lol.

Hmmm....I usually don't play horrorgames, but this one really got my attention. Is it a good idea to play it? I don't know. The only horrorgame I played was F.E.A.R.2 (it wasnt scary at all).
Hmmm...first I think I finish Nightmare House 2 and probably get Condemned, before I play this and probably die because of an heartattack.

LOVED this review. Really getting back into what I believe is your good old sense of humour!

Completely agree with you on this, and I laughed out loud at a number of points - something I have done with this series for a while.

Really well done! Looking forward to more :)

"OH PISS AND BLIMEY THERE'S JAM COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!"

Probably his best quote this year xD

instead of letting him chase you around, try taking a chair and do some closequater combat, or atleast throw it at him

Can we please get the Slim Jim ads removed from this website.

TheSniperFan:
Hmmm....I usually don't play horrorgames, but this one really got my attention. Is it a good idea to play it? I don't know. The only horrorgame I played was F.E.A.R.2 (it wasnt scary at all).
Hmmm...first I think I finish Nightmare House 2 and probably get Condemned, before I play this and probably die because of an heartattack.

I also played FEAR 2 myself. It's partially creepy (yes, creepy. not scary.) but mostly it's just a shooter.
Amnesia is, i think, a whole different game. You don't kill stuff and the fear and atmo is built up very differently.

Haha, that was great :D And stop making me want to buy games, I'm still working on Minecraft!

mik1:
Can we please get the Slim Jim ads removed from this website.

As soon as nerds start paying up more. >:| *cane wave*

Coloneljesus:
I also played FEAR 2 myself. It's partially creepy (yes, creepy. not scary.) but mostly it's just a shooter.
Amnesia is, i think, a whole different game. You don't kill stuff and the fear and atmo is built up very differently.

Well, besides F.E.A.R. 2 I started playing NH2. Well, and that fucks my head quite hard. I WILL play Amnesia, but first I finish NH2.

Oh Yahtzee, you're so right about the three horror types ;)

cause half of the time they shovel all this hype into these half done games and expected you to think it the best thing ever

That was the best line of the year also the another one whereb you come from im srry for messin up your chairs

Am I mistaken or is there no physical copy of this game? It's download-only?

Cause that'd be really lame ... This game was gonna be a birthday present, you can't giftwrap a download ... well you can, but extracting a rar archive just isn't the same.

Don't want to brag just yet, but i like to think Yahtzee reviewed it due to my suggestion some time ago.

But either way...i love you because of that, because the Penumbra series is my second best game/series of all time.
I fell in love with it, in about 10 seconds of the game

I'd been waiting to buy this game for a while and today I finally had the money to buy it, I got to what I believe is the exact moment that made you shit yourself a few minutes ago:

*Walk out into hall*
*Hear something to my right, big scary monster leaving the room*
"Oh dear, guess i'll go the other way then"
*Goes to the left*
*Sees the other way is a collapsed tunnel*
"Hmm, guess I have no choice then.."
*Turns around BIG SCARY MONSTER*
"OH SHHHHHHIIII-"
*Runs like fuck*

Does anyone else find the Back hall area to have a sort of eerie beauty about it? The combination of the music and the strange architecture always makes the phrase 'Hauntingly Beautiful' pass through my mind.

Well, this game is definately original. And downright scary. Downloaded it today and played for an hour just now. I freaked at the first sign of a monster, and hid in a cupboard for a few minutes before realising he didn't see me. Then i tried to go back out, but ended up turning the game off and coming here, to the bright light.

Pooed my pants indeed.

Some Random Tosser:
Getting rid of combat entirely just heightens the feeling of weakness and desperation.

Isn't that the idea of survival horror though? You, faced off against something unspeakable, would most likely poo your pants and run if you had the choice. Tearing the leg off a chair and squaring off with a monster is the stupid thing to do in that kind of situation. The best option is to bolt and try to avoid the monster. Sure, it makes you feel weak and defenseless - but lets face it, in that kind of situation, thats what you'll be.

Therumancer:

runtheplacered:

Therumancer:

Sort of true.
Though I will point out that adding combat is actually the aspect that defined survival horror, along with hording the resources for it and picking your battles carefully.
I guess what sort of bugs me about this innovation is that it's a step backwards, there are tons of "Adventure Games" that used a similar mentality, this includes the real time elements of monsters moving around in differant locations and having to avoid them and so on. Sierra produced a few of these if I recall, not to mention tons of other companies during the whole golden age of adventure games.
Yahtzee enjoys Adventure games though, so I'm not surprised he liked this a lot. As far as I go, I've enjoyed a lot of them, but my overall opinion is mixed.
If my comments seemed fairly negative, I guess a lot of it comes down to feeling that with the mainstream coming into gaming, that the industry is actually regressing. We've seen a return of interactive movies ("Heavy Rain", which is similar to things like "The Daedalus Encounter", "Gadget", and other similar products of yesteryear), and of course games like this which despite the new technology seem like something someone would have made 15 years ago.
Retro doesn't bother me really, I after all defend turn based RPGs and such, however I guess I find this alarming for the simple reason that I'm concerned it represents a trend.
Perhaps we will see a compromise like the original "Alone In The Dark" where you could say trick a group of Cannibals, or walk in with a shotgun and kill them all if so inclined.

You say regression, i say...affirmation? Realisation, perhaps? That there should be other options then throwing down and putting up your dukes.

Blowing a monster's brains out like Bruce Willis may be satisfying, but its become boring too. Too many survival horror games have the option to lock n load, and therefore aren't scary anymore. Take RE4, for example - after realising you can manage your bullets and can find a steady stream, you spend most of your time avoiding the Las Plagas more then fighting them, because they became a nuisance. The most scary bit in that game was the big pale things with the 30 Days of Night mouths. They frightened the crap outta me.

There is a feeling of utter hopelessness of not having a weapon - or even better, having a weapon but being unable to use it properly - that frightens people to the core.

Imagine this - there's a monster down the hall. You have a handgun in your hand. The monster is a big son-of-a-monkey - you dont know if your pea shooter can take him down. You do know, however, that when you pop out to take a shot at him, he'll be on you in an instant, gun or no. Loud bang, flash of light, attractive to a heaving monstrosity. Do you save your bullets and try to let him go past, or take a risk and put a few rounds into him?

Oh - and there's no quicksave. Sorry little man, you only get one shot at this before you get punted back to the title screen.

Feeling anxious? Anxiety leads to fear, and fear is what you wanna taste when you play a survival horror game. And its not the anxiety of 'crap, outta bullets, i'm dead, bugger', its 'fuck, do i shoot it or let it go past? Shit, did it just see me?!"

JohnTomorrow:

Some Random Tosser:
Getting rid of combat entirely just heightens the feeling of weakness and desperation.

Isn't that the idea of survival horror though? You, faced off against something unspeakable, would most likely poo your pants and run if you had the choice. Tearing the leg off a chair and squaring off with a monster is the stupid thing to do in that kind of situation. The best option is to bolt and try to avoid the monster. Sure, it makes you feel weak and defenseless - but lets face it, in that kind of situation, thats what you'll be.

... that was what I was referring to. And you're right, too.

I just bought this, and I can say that it's almost too scary. I'm a big horror fan, and the recent "horror" games have been pathetic, but this is just downright horrifying. I actually turned off the game in fear once, and I'm not even that far into it! This is truly awesome.

I like how when he talks about the level design, and there are three buildings sitting there, the middle one is quite obviously the industrial complex gamepiece from Axis and Allies. :-P Caught that the moment it was on screen, that's how lame I am.

Ickorus:
I'd been waiting to buy this game for a while and today I finally had the money to buy it, I got to what I believe is the exact moment that made you shit yourself a few minutes ago:

*Walk out into hall*
*Hear something to my right, big scary monster leaving the room*
"Oh dear, guess i'll go the other way then"
*Goes to the left*
*Sees the other way is a collapsed tunnel*
"Hmm, guess I have no choice then.."
*Turns around BIG SCARY MONSTER*
"OH SHHHHHHIIII-"
*Runs like fuck*

They obviously anticipated players doing that :3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread