Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.

Whenever I listen to the Muses videos it's like a mini self-help course. It's a good contrast to the other videos on Escapist, which can be negative.

Rebecca, one of your best yet. I don't know if it can topple my faves...but it did almost make me cry.

You know, I think one of the resistances to some of your work here is that you are quite often subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) critical of aspects of gamer culture. And I think people take umbrage. But...I think people sometimes miss the point. I mean, I see your critiques extending beyond gaming and to a larger culture of consumer capitalism. Also, I see you praising some of the desire to be heroic that video games also tie into.

Anyway, keep doing your thing, this song was excellent...and I'm looking forward to your new album!

Catchy tune, nice one Miss Mayes. :)

hittite:
Words fail me.

whoa. just... whoa.

I...

Just...

Umm...

Thank you.

a good song, and I'm sorry for being "that guy", but I really just can't spot what it has to do with Halo...at all.

And dammit Ms. Mayes, I was hoping to see you in a home-made spartan outfit!

I've only seen a couple others besides this one. Picked a great one to tune in on.

The message of the song is a bit obscure. I pulled, you shouldn't hold yourself back from your full potential just to make others feel better because they can also be just as great.

I see a loose connection to Reach in this. I'd say instead of applying to Reach as a game this song applies to the entirety of what is happening in the game. The covenant's assault on Reach and the fact that most people who played this game already knew the outcome of the Reach conflict fits the somber, yet encouraging, feel of this song.

I would like to play the final mission of Reach to this song.

Was interesting, wasn't expecting the song to turn out the way it did. Sort of reminded me about the Modern Warfare 2 song for some reason which also turned out to be more about the people playing the game.

Good song but what the hell has it got to do with halo?

Nice song and I'm not afraid to ask - what is the link to Halo(Reach specifically) in this song?
I couldn't find anything besides some of the visuals and the "passenger side" lyric. Besides for that (and really that was a stretch) I couldn't see any relations what so ever.

Most things in that song could be applied to any game?
I'm just wondering because I'm hoping a title wasn't there to lure in people. I'd much prefer a song on something RM likes to play, even if it were some obscure old 2D Indy game or whatever rather than have a name of a game squished in to the title just fore popularities sake.

I didn't really get how all the images I just saw are connected to Halo. They seem so random, IMO. The song was interesting, I suppose. I think I'd prefer it without the vocals, since it seems to be going for that "chill-out" feel.

Wedlock49:
snip

*thumbs up* Couldn't have worded it better.

Sicamat:
Replace Rebecca with Brentalfloss please.

Second

But he might have a hard time with the theme of halo, that chorus bit

The Journey:

Snowpact:
This could very well be the best piece you've written so far for the Escapist. It's intriguing, inspiring and, in some way, positively haunting.

I agree. Very, very good.

ghii3:
Three messages saying the same thing in a row ^
Bad sign, Rebbeca

I like the way you've conveniently missed all the positive responses. Voicing your opinion is one thing but placing yourself in a vocal minority or negative segment of the commenters and then claiming it to be a 'bad sign' is rather stupid.

I ignore the positives because those are the *cough* hardcore supporters. You know, those people who would try to make excuses for her if she posted a vid of her screaming for a bit and nothing else. The people who aren't these people are saying the same thing.
That's what I'm saying.

_Janny_:
I didn't really get how all the images I just saw are connected to Halo. They seem so random, IMO. The song was interesting, I suppose. I think I'd prefer it without the vocals, since it seems to be going for that "chill-out" feel.

Wedlock49:
snip

*thumbs up* Couldn't have worded it better.

If you're gonna quote somebody then don't refer directly to what you cut out of the quote

excellent job, Rebecca. furthermore, in the future, you should keep your videos in picture form like this one and/or have in-game footage rather than dressing up and filming yourself.....not to say that you're not beautiful. ;-)

Xombee:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Xombee:

Pallindromemordnillap:
Yet another ballad with a repetitive chorus...sigh...Whatever happened to wanting to try new things?

You are the halo you are the divine sung twice is repetitive? I don't think you know how to song.

It's said five times. Each time in the exact same way. I don't think you know how to count. Or spell

Yeah? You think I didn't write that on purpose? You're dense boy-o. I'd nit pic at your syntax and grammar too, but that's stupid and not on topic and only stupid and not on topic people do it.

Nothing wrong with a chorus that repeats itself, that's what choruses are. If there are small variations in a chorus, that's okey. If it's the same, that's fine too. I think you don't know how to song.

Yes, I do think you didn't do that on purpose, as your sudden change of gears into nitpicking and insults would suggest

A chorus of two lines that repeats itself over and over is a problem. It shows lack of imagination. "I couldn't be bothered coming up with something proper, so I'll just say the same few things repeatedly". Like that godawful Beiber song.
It doesn't help that this is in the exact same style as every other song she's ever done. I bet I could replace the lyrics and only one or two people would notice

Also... seriously... stop giving me badges for watching 1,2,3,4 episodes of Rebbeca Mayes and give me ONE badge for watching ALL of Zero Punctuation episodes back-to-back 3-4 times!

Tadd:
Also... seriously... stop giving me badges for watching 1,2,3,4 episodes of Rebbeca Mayes and give me ONE badge for watching ALL of Zero Punctuation episodes back-to-back 3-4 times!

You serious about that?

If there's even a tenuous connection to the game beyond the occasional use of the Spartan in the graphics or the use of the word "Halo," I'm not seeing it.

However, this is actually quite a nice song. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Wow. I think this has to come pretty high on my list of favourite songs you've done so far. Beautiful song, though perhaps I don't know enough about Halo to link it.
I do, however, know I want to listen to it again.

What kind of song is great, if you can't leave room for metaphorical interpretation. Yeah Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Muse would be such awesome music if you took everything they said literally.

Remember, music is subjective to the listener, and one might get one meaning, one another. People still haven't decided what Strawberry Fields Forever is about.

Having watched a couple of videos of Rebecca Mayse, I must say that some songs are too much "Bjork" and some are quite good. Especially loved her song about Call of Duty, Mass Effect 2, Silent Hill, the one about Zero Punctuation and this one in particular.

I'd love to know your thought process behind the halo suit opening up and the girl from the "light" scene exiting. The lyrics seem to be admonishing us for spending so much time accepting a fake idea of our own greatness. Yet the image paired with it seemed to hint that we are missing the true brilliance of our own talents by truncating our growth from sitting and playing games too long. And coupled with gallaetha_matt's comment:

gallaetha_matt:

I thought the line 'get in the driver's seat, get out of the passenger's seat,' was particularly clever. Nice little dual meaning there.

I am really thinking that was part of your message.

And it was lovely and haunting, yet this one seemed to actually move you with its story over frustrating mechanics. Did it truly move the muse to musing?

Wow, that was a good song - only very slightly connected to Halo: Reach but good on its own merits anyways.

Saioon:
Did any one else think it was about getting out away from the game and being good at being yourself rather than being in the game?

Yeah, I thought that was sort of the point. A few of her songs have had this theme.
Thought it was strange no one else mentioned that. Not a especially pro-gamer message, I suppose? Not that it's uncalled for-- I dunno.
I like most of her songs, even though they are similiar. She's seem to be quite talented and sweet, maybe it's time to move on to write about other things, without having to find connections to games. She seems to be more of a hippie than a geek, so to speak. No disrespect!
Maybe I'm just a jerk.

I have to say I really like this song, and the fact that it was inspired by Halo:Reach. We all know (or ought to by this point in time) how that game ends. This song as well as the game aren't so much about winning, but are about giving it your all. No matter what. :) Great stuff Miss Mayes.

Danny Ocean:
I think I must lack the lateral thinking ability to see the meaning behind these words, could someone help me?

It does sound very good, though.

I'm with you there...

It's not about Halo -.-'

JRShield:
I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.

Indeed either of those would make no sense. "halo"(as in the floating ring above your head) is a metaphor for something, though as with any excellent song, I've got no chance in hell at deciphering it first time hearing it :D

Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

trooper6:
Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Wow, I was just about to type out a long response to some of the comments here, when I see you've said the same thing, only better.

Damn ninjas!

Anyway, it's a good song. Keep it up!

yawn

Sound and Lyrics in this one are your best yet.

I came for the lion I stayed for the music

Very nice tune. Liked it a lot.

First one of your songs that I've really loved, quite amazing!

Gyrefalcon:
I'd love to know your thought process behind the halo suit opening up and the girl from the "light" scene exiting. The lyrics seem to be admonishing us for spending so much time accepting a fake idea of our own greatness. Yet the image paired with it seemed to hint that we are missing the true brilliance of our own talents by truncating our growth from sitting and playing games too long. And coupled with gallaetha_matt's comment:

You... you spelled my screenname right...

This has never happened to me before. I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

Seriously though, you seem to be right on the message with this song. I got the same impression. We seem to be being told to get off our arses and go do some things instead of playing video games. When I first heard it I was resolved to finishing writing my third novel by the end of the week.

But now I can't think of an ending, so I've got writer's block, so I'm back to sitting on my arse playing video games again.

Something has gone wrong here.

But I respect the message of this song, we've all got our own super powers - be they writing, playing music, drawing, running, dancing, Telekinesis or the power of heart, so we should be out there using them to bring death to our enemies.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here