Unskippable: Warhammer Battle March

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Warhammer Battle March

It's really less of a "march" and more of saunter. Or a mosey.

Watch Video

What on earth did Paul say?

Whatever it was it was AWESOME!!

Hilarity... weirdly enough, Unskippable always seems to make me want to play the game involved!

2:55- Aragorn always makes a point of showing up just in the nick of time.

It is a very nice tower. Also I got the reference about paint fumes, I had several friends who played with toy soliders, errr I mean played tabletop games of Warhammer and the like.

its not the paint but the glue; that stuff is potent

Graham and Paul are right. For the forces of chaos they seem very organised.

Shame it was such boring game...and evidently released under a different name in the US, I was all excited thinking there was one I'd missed.

WrongSprite:
Hilarity... weirdly enough, Unskippable always seems to make me want to play the game involved!

Sadly that wouldn't last long after you started playing.

EnigmaHarper:
What on earth did Paul say?

Whatever it was it was AWESOME!!

It's a quote from the Court Jester a musical from the 50's

Unskippable becomes so much better when you have played the game. Well done guys!

yes, i'm personally suprised that Games workshop let it out on the world, what with their reputation for such things

God's sake, that man's accent makes him the most punchable army leader ever to exist.

Count Otto Von Gruber....

That is an awesome name.

And yeh, Hammer to the balls, not good...

I actually liked the game, but that was a long time ago .This was quite a funny episode.
Also: that tower was pretty.

Such a lovely tower...
What, you don't like it? Spiked hammer to the balls! *gank!*

Paul referenced The Court Jester! Awesome!

Those heads were huge. The army leader looked like the villain from the first Shrek movie.

Ah Mark of Chaos, an example of why an amazing CGI intro does not necessarily imply the game will be any good. Such a dissapointment...

Hm...Ostermark...don't they mean Österreich?? (thats german for austria, btw)

True; if you're not bankrupt while playing Warhammer, you're just not doing it right. :P

Anyone else really want to see them do DoW now? :D

I always feel a little sorry for Warhammer.

They try so hard to be "epic and awesome". Yet they always fail miserably and end up somewhere around "corny and cliche".

Jeffrey Ross:

the empire is loosley based off germany, so they no doubt got the influence of this name from the german for austria, but the prvenance of the empire is definitely called ostermark.

Such a nice tower. I think I shall find a tower similar and just drink in its glorious nature.

Jeffrey Ross:

Warhammer Fantasy is pretty much based on medieval/renaissance world, mostly Europe. Empire being the Holy Roman Empire(Germany), Kislev being Poland/Lithuania, Bretonnia which is mix of Britain and France, plenty of Chaos guys come form Norsca - land of Vikings, etc.

And damn, i almost managed to forget about this game, why did you have to remind me of it, why? On the plus side it involved Skaven... but it was the only plus side i can think of.

Zhukov:

They try so hard to be "epic and awesome". Yet they always fail miserably and end up somewhere around "corny and cliche".

They aren't cliché... they created it, 23 years ago. It's everyone that copied from them who should be labelled as cliché.

Mad Gab:
yes, i'm personally suprised that Games workshop let it out on the world, what with their reputation for such things

I'm not sure if you're using sarcasm or not.

Stefan von Kessel is the vessel with the poison. The Chalice from the palace is the brew that is true!

WHAT?!

I lol'd.

no it was a suprisingly poor game in my opinion at least, and GW are well known for their tight control of their IPs

How old is this game? I couldn't help but notice that their mouths never matched what they were saying, the characters I mean.

2006 it says in the copyright section of the manual

Keava:

Zhukov:

They aren't cliché... they created it, 23 years ago. It's everyone that copied from them who should be labelled as cliché.

If I still had quick access to my father's White Dwarfs I'd dig through for the one where 6th ed Armies book for Chaos that had the full time line on Fantasy Battle, but since I don't I'm forced to use Wikipedia on this one.
"The first edition, written by Bryan Ansell, Richard Halliwell and Rick Priestley was published in 1983 and consists of a boxed set of 3 black and white books illustrated by Tony Ackland: Vol 1: Tabletop Battles, which contains the core rules, turn sequence, creature lists and features an introductory battle 'The Ziggurat of Doom'. Vol 2: Magic which explains rules for wizards of 4 different levels. Higher level wizards have access to more powerful spells. In this system, a wizard picks his spells at the start of the game, must have the correct equipment (usually Amulets), and as he casts each one it depletes a store of 'constitution' points, until at zero points he could cast no more. Vol 3: Characters introduces 'personal characteristics' statistics, rules for roleplaying (including character advancement through experience points and statistic gains, random encounters, equipment costs, and alignment) and has a sample campaign "The Redwake River Valley".

Very little world background is given at all and the race descriptions are kept to a minimum, and most of the background given is in describing the origins of magic items. Some notable differences to later editions are the inclusion of Night Elves (later Dark Elves), the appearance of Red Goblins - and that Citadel Miniatures order codes are given."

For what it's worth I dug out my copy of Slaves to Darkness, and that was printed in '88.

Edit: I probably should point out that I'm just trying to show just how old Fantasy Battle is. Thank you Keava for keeping me from engulfing the board in flame, but it is 27 years old, not 23. :p

Lol what the hells up with there mouths?

It was more to the point than many other cinematics we've seen here.. weird chaos people fight humans in renaissance armour - neatly encapsulates a large deal of the warhammer fantasy experience. It's obvious what kind of game this is.. unlike with some other intros.

"Our cannons you see, it's terribly clever".

I loved that line.

also I loved how those men getting slaughtered at the begining were hitting those chaos warriors with swords, halberds, spears and rifles and yet didn't kill one of them (the warrior priest being the exception) and yet in strolls the elf and hacks down about five of them with a blade half the size of the humans!

Loved the random Paul rap. But it needs more random vegetables in it, like the beet in Arms Race.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here