274: Spoiled Rotten

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Disagree completely.

Dragon Age and Massa Effect are great examples. Both were spoiled early on and, atleast to me, were less fun the first day I played them. Bioware are notorius when it comes to spoilers.

Don't know about you, but I think a medium that tries to be more than just a videogame really should take storytelling more seriously than it does now.

My point.

Spoilers suck ass. Stfu.

Did anyone else notice that this article was simply "Quote from someone who actually has an original/interesting/well-formulated opinion"/Non-committal waffle about tangentially related game?

Like, that's all that happened, throughout the entire thing. I learned nothing from this article that I couldn't have learned from the sources, it read like a BA essay from a student who just stopped caring months ago. A list of links would've been more useful to me. Eh. The conclusion at least was...a little controversial. Not very convincingly argued, though.

I have a suspicion that we'll get a lot of games following Valve's model, easily moddable games with a relatively linear 'main' game. That way, it's best of both worlds - excellent traditional storyline, with predictable learning curve in terms of mechanics, for people who enjoy a professionally crafted narrative, and a near-limitless sandbox/set of story-telling tools for amateurs who think they can do better. Eh? What bias?

Truth is, "telling your own story" is what I do in every day life. It's the filter through which I already see the world. Putting that in a game? It can only detract from the experience. Dwarf Fortress isn't as much fun for me as Dungeon Keeper, even though it's more flexible, because the story develops from your own goals. When my personal life story is already developing from me fulfilling my goals, I don't need to go to a game for the same sense of freedom - it seems like an ersatz sensation.

However, there's a market for the sandbox games, so yeah. I don't object to their presence, as long as people don't start spraying me with spittle in their zeal to convert me to them.

Plinglebob:

Azuaron:
I completely disagree with your premise. You say that you gain hours of enriched experience by being spoiled by sacrificing the split second of surprise, but your experience wasn't so much "enriched" as "different." Knowing Vader is Luke's/Leia's father brings a whole new light into all of their interactions, yes. Watching Star Wars again after that discovery is practically a whole new experience. But NOT knowing isn't just about the surprise, it's about the subtle details leading up to the surprise. It's about the limited 3rd-person perspective given to the viewer so they can experience the journey with the protagonists.

I remember reading Into Thin Air (a good book) and being incredibly frustrated when it started with the equivalent of, "But most of us would die before we got off the mountain." Without giving me that information, it would have been a great book. I would have been able to share in the trials getting up Everest, the triumph at finally reaching the summit, and, finally, the despair, horror, and confusion as people died coming down. Instead, the trials seemed irrelevant; reaching the top only meant people would start dying soon; and the despair, horror, and confusion was nonexistent, I'd prepared myself over the past 200 pages. The spoiler had inoculated me against feeling any strong emotion while reading the book.

Further, spoilers ruin Fridge Brilliance. Knowing Luke and Leia are siblings will cause a squick when you watch Empire Strikes Back. NOT knowing will cause a squick after watching Return of the Jedi when you remember that they kissed earlier. Which is the better experience? I prefer Fridge Brilliance.

Finally, as theexhippy said, you can only experience the game/book/movie in one way: knowing the end. By not being spoiled you can have it all: the experience of not knowing, and the suspense/surprise associated with it AND the experience of knowing when you play through again to see all the subtleties that led up to the twist.

Back when Roger Ebert said games weren't art, there was a lot of argument about what, exactly, constituted art, with a strong faction saying art evoked emotion. In my mind, spoilers ruin the emotional experience. In my mind, spoilers are the equivalent of painting a mustache on the actual Mona Lisa, taking a sledgehammer to the Taj Mahal, or burning 80 frames, at random, out of the last copy of A New Hope. In my mind, spoilers destroy art.

Its really useful when someone not only gives my argument for me, but does it far better then I could as well.

This is my argument as well, couldn't have written it better myself.

When authors write a story, they purposefully put in twists to surprise their readers. When developers build a game, they do the same to surprise the player. That surprise is part of the experience, and as others have said, playing without that surprise robs you of half what the developers had in store for you.

I'm looking at it from the developer's viewpoint. If I made a game and placed some elements to surprise the gamer, I would want him to be flabbergasted. If he simply goes : "I already knew. Next!", I will be disappointed. It's the same when you give a gift to someone, wanting to surprise him and await the moment when he opens it in eager anticipation to see his eyes sparkle and his smile stretch to his ears. If he already knows what's under the wrap, you are disappointed. Being a developer, I would want people coming back to me saying : "That plot twist was sick! I never expected it!"

I believe that spoilers not only hinder your experience with the game/movie/book, but also cripple the way it was meant to be experienced.

Hmmm, I disagree pretty strongly with most of you guys posting. Interesting...

I think I'm going to start spoiling things for my friends and then watch how they react to them.

Every year, I keep seeing articles like these that tell me it'll be EASY to become a paid journalist myself. Unless of course I am not allowed to bring flawless arguments to the table or I have to spit in the faces of gamers with spoilers for the sake of proving a point. I think anyone who is a jerkalurk and annoys others with spoilers (trolling~) are...well...

omegawyrm:
Hmmm, I disagree pretty strongly with most of you guys posting. Interesting...

I think I'm going to start spoiling things for my friends and then watch how they react to them.

You're not a good person. lol

If someone spoils a movie, book or game, I don't bother getting it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here