Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 20 NEXT

I never really understood the Halo games and why people like it so much. It's just another shooter, nothing special.

Completely agree with Mr. Yahtzee on this one.

Interesting review, I'm probably never going to play H:R but it amused me when he poked fun at it.

This review was pretty fair and charitable, probably more then MovieBob would give anyways.

Wow. An uncharacteristically fair and reasonable review from Yahtzee. Pointing out valid concerns while grudgingly admitting some enjoyment. About a Halo game no less. I am both amazed and confused.

Time to head to Wal-Mart and pick up my End-of-the-world Survivor Kit because the biblical apocalypse simply cannot be far behind.

Finally this overrated franchise has come to an end.

Another funny and spot on review Mr.Croshaw.

So...they borrowed elements of the ending from Crisis Core?

Christ, this comments section is terrible even by "comments section on videos" standards. And this is a proper forum.

Yahtzee was fair towards the game (by his standards, though I wish he'd done more research) and I don't have a problem with him. But you guys are acting really stupid. And I'm talking to both the haters (who are throwing ridiculous criticisms which basically amount to "I DON'T LIKE THIS GAME MECHANIC SO THE GAME SUCKS, F*@> HALO GO HALF-LIFE!!!!!!!1!") and the fanboys ("LOL STUPID FRIENDLY AI IS NECESSARY BECAUSE IT'S BEEN IN ALL THE HALO GAMES SO FAR" - seriously people?).

I think a better idea would be for us all to be quiet about our own personal feelings towards the game and instead compliment Yahztee for his humour, which is what his reviews are for. That way, we at least would avoid the idiotic flamewar going on here.

EDIT: Also, Yahtzee enjoyed a Halo game a little. Damn, and I've been hoping the other 3 signs of the apocalypse were a coincidence...

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a stair master - If you're referring to the duration you can sprint then let me ask this: How long do you think you could sprint for in power armour?

Isnt that one of the points of power armour? That its power assited do you arent tired out by wearing it?

Power armour is there to make you strong, faster, allow you to fight for longer and make you tougher.

Yahtzee LIKED a mainstream game that I enjoyed? Well thats...um..thats....wow.

I like the fact that Yahtzee balanced the review so perfectly that he would be immune to flames from both the Halo Haters and Fans.

I don't understand why he thinks Half-Life 2 is so much better than Halo.

Petromir:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a stair master - If you're referring to the duration you can sprint then let me ask this: How long do you think you could sprint for in power armour?

Isnt that one of the points of power armour? That its power assited do you arent tired out by wearing it?

Power armour is there to make you strong, faster, allow you to fight for longer and make you tougher.

The man has a point...

Draconalis:

Petromir:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

The man has a point...

It wears out so fast for balancing. If it was like it like in the books, it would be a while before they got tired.

Tankichi:

But Halo Has Single Player. WoW Doesn't. And i agree with him completely. A game must have a good singleplayer to be fun. UNLESS! it is specifically targeted to online play. Like WoW or MAG. But games Like MW2 and Halo they have shitty story lines for single player and amazing Multiplayer i have yet to play because i don't care about my KDR or how many people i can Tea Bag.

I do agree that you have the right to dismiss the game because of its lacking single-player, but but Halo is made with multiplayer in mind, as a priority. Historical imperative wins. What I mean to say is that thousands of players play Halo for the multiplayer, ergo, making multiplayer the selling point is a viable option. I do not mean to say Yatzhee is wrong on his opinion on the single-player however, but tons of people buy this game only for the multiplayer, and will spend thousands of hours on it more than the single player. Most games lame-ass attempt at multiplayer however is only a bonus, some extra playtime perhaps. But with the largest online FPS in the world? I dont agree.

Tankichi:

Also say

in a world where gaming is more and more a social hobby.

with the voice of the guy who does those movie commercials for action flicks lol.

Haha, i totally sound like a douche

Woah. I was prepared to endure Yahtzee taking a huge shit on this game and he seemed to kind of like it a bit? What is this? *runs out to see if pigs are flying yet*

Draconalis:

Petromir:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

The man has a point...

Actually that was explained in the manual as Sprint disabling the safetys on the armor allowing the spartan to get a temporary speed boost.

Gaylo Reach-Around...
New heights of awesome have been reached.

EightGaugeHippo:

YoungZer0:

EightGaugeHippo:

YoungZer0:

EightGaugeHippo:

YoungZer0:

EightGaugeHippo:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.

That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.

Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.

I played Halo 1 a few days before i gave Reach a try. The Art-Direction is a lot darker.

That's it.

A few days before you played reach? Let me ask you some thing. was that your first time or did you ever play Halo 1 when it was new?

I played it the first time it was released. Played Halo 2 the first time it was released. Didn't care for 3, Wars or ODST. Reach looked different, except it wasn't.

So you are saying that Halo has just been more of the same since day 1? Well good sir, tell me a single franchise that has not been more of the same? Because as far as im aware thats pretty much what a franchise is. A continuation of something popular. If Halo 2 was not similar to Halo 1 the franchise would have died, because Halo 1 was such a huge hit it would be stupid not to milk its success. If you want something different to Halo 1, play another game. I didnt go to watch Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back expecting something completely different to A new Hope.

To use your example, Empire Strikes Back. It took the franchise in a whole new, darker direction, as well as adding telekinesis to the ever-growing list of things the Force can do. Look at what happens throughout: The Alliance fights losing battle after losing battle, Luke still doesn't have enough of a grip on his powers to fight Darth Vader and it costs him his hand and lightsaber in the process, Han winds up being bashed around, betrayed, and then sealed in a block of carbonite (which probably, given the physical properties of carbon, smelled like being buried in charcoal briquettes), the other characters are either enslaved or dismantled, and the Empire pretty much wins a clear victory-- which, according to the expanded universe, is the ONLY clear victory in the whole Empire-Alliance conflict. What movie were you watching that this wasn't different from A New Hope, which was a space fantasy samurai flick where the good guys won?

How's this other example? Mass Effect. The first game's combat was inferior to the second's, because they thought they were making an RPG with shooting elements. The second game was a shooter with RPG elements. Similar, but there were enough changes that the first game and the second game were, essentially, two different games.

I know I forgot some. Any others?

** edited to change "decisive", which isn't quite what I meant, to "clear", which is closer to what I meant.

gay-lo reach-around XD

So that settles it its the best Halo ever lol

MonkeyPunch:
Nice to see that Yathzee still has a hard time playing FPS' ^^

Also "Combat Evolved" was added by Microsoft (much to Bungies discontent) because they feared that just having it called "Halo" like Bungie would have wanted would "confuse" the game-buying public because it didn't describe what the game was about.

and they eventually grew to love it. Don't take stuff out of context.

Sid Meier:
This review was pretty fair and charitable, probably more then MovieBob would give anyways.

true.

Though I would dissagry with the Y and add that while Microsoft is already working on the Box art for the next Halo there are still people at Bungie that are indeed working on a more original title and have formed the "yet another halo division" of their studio that distracts Microsoft from the real projects.

Sort of like tossing a sausage at a pack of dogs so that you can run out and pick up the morning paper or something.

What? Look, Duke Nukem is apparently coming out so there's still hope in the world!
Like maybe Bob will get head cancer and won't be able to do another stupid review.

That vid had the best beginning ever

Beatles referances for the win. Loved the metaphors this time around.

And for people getting their mind blown by him "liking" it, he only said it wasn't so bad it was offensive and that the ending was kinda good. So I guess "didn't hate it" is more correct - and that too is surprising enough.

"Who can have the noblest death competition"

HA! Yea, I'm sure they went nuts with over the top melodrama

He would have hated it if he went on LIVE

i didnt get the impression that he liked the game, i just dont think he wanted to repeat all his complaints about halo 3. though i do get the impression he liked the first halo game, which is surprising to me

Fantastic, as always, and more geneorus than I expected!

If you ask me an interesting review.
I for one am hoping he does something on one this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnf2kUmN-TY

YoungZer0:

arc1991:

I would like you to name one game where...

The A.I does not get in your way, They are not completely pants on head retarded and do not run blindly into fire and die.

EVERY game has them, if you complain about Halo, you complain about 99.9% of all shooters as well. (Star Wars Republic Commando is the only game i have seen where the Intelligence in "Artificial Intelligence" actually means something).

As stated, this is a Halo game for Halo Fans, who are used to how the how the game works. the A.I is meant to be pathetic because hell, we all would be if we encountered 8 foot aliens with plasma based weaponry. Think of the A.I as the meat shield, if you are hurt, hide for a bit while they take the fire.

Army of Two: 40th Day. And please, spare your bullshit arguments. "The game needs to have shitty A.I. simply because the previous title had them."

You're exactly the kind of Halo Fan Yahtzee was talking about.

I did not say it needed shitty A.I just because the old ones had them, I'm saying it was created for Halo Fans. which has been said 10.000 times. and every Halo fan knows the A.I is shitty, but 99.9%(Notice how it isn't 100?) of games have Shitty A.I, using that as an excuse to say Halo is bad is just stupid. because you'll be criticizing most shooters.

Sid Meier:

Are you saying movieBob's reviews are too harsh compared to Yatzee's? Not that I've counted, but I would say MB calls about a third of the games "pretty damn good" a third "godawful" while a third are pretty alright but could have been better. I'd say Yatzee on the other hand mash 60 percent of the games, admits they are kinda fun on 35 percent and loves 5 percent.

Or did you just mean that MovieBob has stated that he isn't that big of a Halo fan? In which case I would remind you that when he reviewed the Halo movie he actually thought it was fair enough.

I'm glad someone other else noticed that Bungie made other games besides HALO (yes I'm referring to ONI, I happened to like that game when it came out.)

Vanguard_Ex:
Eh, I feel like these are some pretty pedantic faults even considering it is Yahtzee but whatever, I still enjoy it.

Not to mention a whole bunch of things that are just wrong.

It isn't supposed to be the beginning of the war with the Covenant it's supposed to be around 20 years into it, hence why they know how to use the weapons etc.

It is also not going to be the last Halo game, just the last one made by Bungie. Does anyone honestly believe Microsoft will leave it there?

I also don't get the veiled criticism of the game being milked considering we have:

Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Half Life: Deathmatch
Half Life Merchandise

(Example being a series he likes, there are much "worse" culprits)

I always get irritated by his videos of games I like because he always seems to choose the most petty complaints and exaggerate them for laughs as opposed to picking out the actual flaws and doing the same thing.

Yeah I didn't realize Oni was made by Bungie, i really liked that game... still have it for PC actually.

thankgod. someone who doesnt think that halo reach is the second coming of the bible. HALO REACH IS A MEDIOCRE GAME AT BEST!

When he said "this might sound weird" at the beginning, I already thought he would say that he really liked it. But it was a good review. He wasn't unfair and gave it a good chance. As expected he wasn't blown away by the game but he also didn't dislike it.

arc1991:

I'm saying it was created for Halo Fans. which has been said 10.000 times.

So... it's been said ten times? The .000 there is a bit redundant...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here