Trailers: DC Universe Online Beta Combat

DC Universe Online Beta Combat

Combat footage from the beta playtest for DC Universe Online.

Watch Video

Ok....

Why were they fighting with glowing axes?

i see no one with superspeed.....

I'm surprised how bad this looks.

Combat here looks boring and lacks variety. I just don't see how this game will have longevity, unless your character can have an ample amount of special abilities at their disposal, instead of 1 main ability.

All in all, there's no reason for me to get this game when Guild Wars 2 looks a whole lot better and more fun. Just look at any one of the skills in these Professions. The Necromancer looks the most interesting.

At :50
Huh I didn't know the Engineer was DC
I always thought of him as a Marvel kinda guy

Its looks kinda lame... Compared to WoW it looks like this guys arnt doing too much. But if this is from the beta they might make it better.

That was very...hectic. I wonder if it'll make a little more sense when played, cause I couldn't follow anything during the video.

Everything I see about this game makes me sad.

I was reminded of City of Villains, which i liked... but i wasnt really impressed by this
odd

Square Square Square Triangle Circle -> Golden Axe Whirlwind?

Seemed....like a button masher

This video reveals nothing. If anything, it reveals how bad this game will be if they consider this a combat revealer of a beta. Do you even have health bars? Do you use controllers, or is it all automated fighting? Do all large scale fights occur in cutscenes? For all we know these could be true. When you make a video, allow it to actually reveal how things work, not just pretty pictures. I doubt I'll ever play this game, anyways, just from the sheer idiocity of SoE and hero-based MMORPGs have on their shoulders, but who knows, maybe if this video actually showed me the downsides of such an MMO I may have actually, you know, had some interest.

Back to Guild Wars 2 for me. :P

wonder if its just the click combat like most MMOs or if its actually you controlling your character

HankMan:
At :50
Huh I didn't know the Engineer was DC
I always thought of him as a Marvel kinda guy

New Quest Obtained: SPAHS SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY

Got to admit that this doesn't show things in a good light. Odd.

Master10K:
Combat here looks boring and lacks variety. I just don't see how this game will have longevity, unless your character can have an ample amount of special abilities at their disposal, instead of 1 main ability.

All in all, there's no reason for me to get this game when Guild Wars 2 looks a whole lot better and more fun. Just look at any one of the skills in these Professions. The Necromancer looks the most interesting.

"The ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on his keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself. A master of ranged combat, the ranger is capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance with his bow. With a stable of pets at his command, a ranger can adapt to his opponents' strengths and weaknesses."

In many MMO's, there is a danger of the Jack of all trades becoming a godmode character. This description does not make me happy.

The players are not moving around as much as they would in normal PVP.

Looks like shit compared to the trailer they brought out for this, which is probably what they spent most of their time making.

It seems like an attempt at showing off particle effects. There are a variety of animations and powers but they just did a horrible job with the video, extremely hectic. Looks realtime though.

It may be real time but it's just like MMO combat; you react in a stock way to stock attacks and then immediately hit back, unless you're frozen/knocked on your butt.

This does nothing to me except remind me why I avoid MMO's. I'll stick to single player, thankyou very much.

Master10K:

Probably going to be a Ranger/Elementalist again.
And I'm going to port my level 20 R/E too, but make a new one.

RelexCryo:
The ranger is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of them all as well, relying on his keen eye, steady hand, or the power of nature itself. A master of ranged combat, the ranger is capable of striking unwitting foes from a distance with his bow. With a stable of pets at his command, a ranger can adapt to his opponents' strengths and weaknesses."

In many MMO's, there is a danger of the Jack of all trades becoming a godmode character. This description does not make me happy.

But I have a feeling that the Ranger will require a lot of skill to fully utilize and a doubt the Ranger would be able to steamroll through an Elementalist attuned to Air.

Deguasser:
Probably going to be a Ranger/Elementalist again.
And I'm going to port my level 20 R/E too, but make a new one.

I'll be going with a Sylvari Elemantalist, since the race and profession seems to go hand-in-hand.

Nothing groundbreaking or astounding. Nothing about it screams DC. It's so paint by numbers.

Wow does this ever look like crap, I'll wait 15 days until it's in the bargain bin for $5.00 right beside Champions Online.

Welcome to Clusterfuck Online

Wow...

The trailer was so good, and the game seems just so bad.

DC, give your cinematic people more money.

I think it was kinda of confusing.
To many characters fighting against each other in a small place.

I think it would be better to show the combat system, if they get diferent players fighting each other, but in diferent places, cause the way they showed, it's looked like just another generic MMO.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here