Stolen Pixels #233: The Wonders!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #233: The Wonders!

These are the other Wonders of the Civilization world.

Read Full Article

The last one is oh so horribly accurate! :)

indeed. wonder building is easy, just make sure you are egypt...

Sounds cool. I'd play it, but I have some things I need to get done in the next year or two...

You do know that there is more than one weinermobile. It isn't a singular wonder... They have a small fleet of them

It's a TRAP!

Traigus:
You do know that there is more than one weinermobile. It isn't a singular wonder... They have a small fleet of them

It's quite obviously a new unit in an expansion.

Just imagine, assaulting a city with an army completely made of... WEINERS

Rauten:

Traigus:

But... but... France is already overpowered...

Gah, I have to get back to Civ V. Those city-states won't conquer themselves, you know.

Rauten:

Traigus:

it's a WEINER WAR!

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

Gah, I have to get back to Civ V. Those city-states won't conquer themselves, you know.

Are they really? I was trying for a cultural victory as Napoleon in Civ V, but got slaughtered by Germany. What really sucked was that I only had 3 cities (small civilisations in the higher difficulties at least, I can assure you, are not a viable strategy, as far as I can see), whilst Bismarck had, and I am not making this up, 17 cities. And they were the only ones I could see. There is no way one civ should be able to control that many cities without serious consequences.

Still, I love it, and I think all I have to do is find the time to try some new strategies.

Your loving these Civ 5 Jokes huh Shamus?

Civ 5 being a wonder fits perfectly in the context of civ 5 the game. Afterall, most of the wonders in that are surprisingly boring and not worth building.

It's weird how humour of this type just doesn't work when it praises a game I've come to loathe so badly.

I just laughed at "No productivities,for anyone,ever again." it's so true. lol, oooh my side,xD

Andronicus:

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

Are they really? I was trying for a cultural victory as Napoleon in Civ V, but got slaughtered by Germany. What really sucked was that I only had 3 cities (small civilisations in the higher difficulties at least, I can assure you, are not a viable strategy, as far as I can see), whilst Bismarck had, and I am not making this up, 17 cities. And they were the only ones I could see. There is no way one civ should be able to control that many cities without serious consequences.

Still, I love it, and I think all I have to do is find the time to try some new strategies.

France gets unique musketeers AND infantry. Tell me that's not overpowered.

edit: Also, Bismark probably didn't have a lot of happiness, and if they were won by conquest, possibly not a lot of gold, assuming he kept all the units. And if not, his core cities are probably populated by three people and a mule.

Double A:

Andronicus:

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

edit: Also, Bismark probably didn't have a lot of happiness, and if they were won by conquest, possibly not a lot of gold, assuming he kept all the units. And if not, his core cities are probably populated by three people and a mule.

Eh, maybe. He threw quite a lot at me, and he had quite obviously funnelled all his reasearch into military-based techs; he was using cannons when I'd barely just received Pikemen. I was aiming for the more economy and culture-based techs though, so that's understandable. I focused so much on trying to keep my productivity and culture up, I avoided building more cities as they'd just cost me, but in retrospect I can see that having a lot of cities means more opportunity to build things like temples, and especially extra military units for if I get attacked.

I could go on about tonnes of things I could have done to improve, but I won't bore you (any more) with my ramblings. Incidentally, I never got to the "overpowered" French units before I was consumed.

Gah, I really want to play this game now. Five weeks of CIV comics have sparked a civilization hunger inside me.

I will play this game, however having only just discovered the Rise of Mankind Mod for IV (I'm a bit slow, so sue me) it might be quite some time in the future.

Andronicus:

Double A:

Andronicus:

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

Eh, maybe. He threw quite a lot at me, and he had quite obviously funnelled all his reasearch into military-based techs; he was using cannons when I'd barely just received Pikemen. I was aiming for the more economy and culture-based techs though, so that's understandable. I focused so much on trying to keep my productivity and culture up, I avoided building more cities as they'd just cost me, but in retrospect I can see that having a lot of cities means more opportunity to build things like temples, and especially extra military units for if I get attacked.

I could go on about tonnes of things I could have done to improve, but I won't bore you (any more) with my ramblings. Incidentally, I never got to the "overpowered" French units before I was consumed.

Not to sound like... a douche... but... it's entirely possible to win with just one city. You just need to be really focused.

Also, temples don't cost too much. And there's also that nice National Epic you can get for building monuments in all your cities. That's always nice to have.

How am I expected to play online with my friends with no Save function.

Double A:

Andronicus:

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

That's not overpowered.

Sure, it's good for a late-ish game military focus, but a lot of other civilizations get buildings that are usualy useful from the day you get them till the game ends.

Euro Disney needs more love.

...Out of pity, of course.

Scary Wonders. I'd avoid them. Hell if any other civ would build them i'd leave em alone afraid to take a city with such evil evil things.

As for Civ itself, i'm still waiting for proper patches..or expansion. Anything that would kill the overpowered tactic of quick tech to Civil Service. Im usually in Medieval Era at ~1800 BC and reach cannons when other civs are still making spearmen.

Also, i consider Chinese to be the most overpowered civ. Their crossbowman can shoot twice and Paper Maker instead Library is a huge money boost.

The last one was pretty much right. Also I did do the one city challenge(Ghandi's bonus that halves number of city unhappiness helps a lot) and as long as you get a good spot to drop your city it isn't too tough.

Zachary Amaranth:
Euro Disney needs more love.

...Out of pity, of course.

WHAT?! Europe has a Disney land?!

OT: I want this game so much...I wonder how much money my little brother has...

Culture victory with 1 city as egypt. Came down to me vs alexander the great who conquered the entire world except me and some city states that were funded by me. 10 turns away from default end game, I lost several times to the default end before I found the right strategy at an earlier turn. Hooray for having every productive wonder in the game except for the later tier ones in science because I couldn't generate enough points and have a culture boost. Fairly OP.

Double A:

That's why they got Euro-Disney.

Keava:

Also, i consider Chinese to be the most overpowered civ. Their crossbowman can shoot twice and Paper Maker instead Library is a huge money boost.

The Great General boost isn't anything to overlook, either. Once you start getting them, it basically translates into a constant bonus to almost all combat.

France is definitely a contender, though. Big culture boost in the early game, nice military boost post-gunpowder.

Egypt is pretty weak, but if you want all the wonders, an Egyptian capital with Tradition's 33% wonder boost and with improved marble in its radius is just ridiculous.

As a city builder, though, my favorite is Rome. Faster construction of any building my capital already has? Awesome.

..The last one.
My ribs hurt from laughter.

ThePirateMan:

Double A:

Andronicus:

Double A:

Rauten:

Traigus:

That's not overpowered.

Sure, it's good for a late-ish game military focus, but a lot of other civilizations get buildings that are usualy useful from the day you get them till the game ends.

True, but the Foreign Legion's 20% attack bonus outside friendly territory stays with them for the rest of the game, assuming they don't die. There's also that nice cultural bonus they get before steam power, and if you're playing any speed other than the fastest, that's probably at least a day away from when you start.

The weinermobile...so ugly...but I want to ride in one.

I am partly relieved I dont have Ci-V yet taking into account that last wonder.

One of the funniest strips you've done since chainmail bikini

Sad is the day when Shaymus stops putting out Civ5 comics.

edit: Oh and, as far as overpowered civs, the general king has to be China. But if you're running a domination campaign on a huge map (that will take many eons to complete), my vote is Japan. Having ALL units attack/defend at full strength regardless of health is the gift that keeps on giving.

Ninetail:
Egypt is pretty weak, but if you want all the wonders, an Egyptian capital with Tradition's 33% wonder boost and with improved marble in its radius is just ridiculous.

I disagree about Egypt being weak. Thanks to snatching every wonder possible you can become an economical, scientific and cultural empire really easy. This actually led me to the point, when I just upgraded my five warrior units built back in the ancient era into mechanized infantry when the enemy still had musketeers at best. I won thanks to the culture (I built only two cities), but when I decided to play some more and try to conquer some other nations it was really easy, especially with a giant death robot.

tl;dr version: As long as you'll stay out of war during early stages (giving some tributes will hurt your pride but may also save your skin), Egypt is a beast in every aspect of the game.

Sadly the comics for Civ V are more entertaining then the game is. Currently experiencing severe buyer's remorse.

I disagree with all the glowing reviews, it seriously makes me question reviewers integrity. It's like their more interested in retaining access then good journalism.

look at us all taking time out of our civ 5 day to comment on here....

Seriously I need dual screening. That last wonder and what you said about your productivity dropping down to zero when you got back to your gnome mage in WoW fit together in me. So I need to be able to make my modern armor roll over ghandi cities while I throw some HoTs on raid in Icecrown Citadel :P.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here