Game Dogs: The Hand of Fate

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 18 NEXT

deadlinejon:

Jzolr0708:
I like the comments about it all being a prank or a joke. Know what? That would be even worse. It's one thing to make a stupid idea to try and save a show using shock value. It's another to brutally murder one character, and then spit in the eyes of everyone who's ever had a loved one/friend commit suicide AS A JOKE.

once again: i bet this is a non canon early halloween episode.

That doesn't really change anything.

That is just sick, I'm never watching this show again, Geez. Did'ya really think that it would bring more viewers?!

Despite my previous casual post about the episode, I just went back to watch AFTER the credits (I stopped before last time) since people were mentioning suicide that I don't recall before and THAT was pretty shocking.

This series sucks now, just kill off all the characters. That seems to be the theme now, just kill everybody. Hey its easier than just saying they moved to Alaska or something, just everybody and nobody will care... ya... good going. I'm not watching a single Game Dogs after this one. I know that any series will start sucking after they eliminate one of the main characters, and this one is not an exception. I'm not putting up with it. Count me out.

Haha! Uhm. Wow! Ok, I'm back on board for this show.
The first season was pretty dull, but the second season showed some promise with the opening, and I thought the war flashback was pretty funny, but after that it got back to the regular Game Dogging, which I find mostly unfunny.
But this...! Man. Where did this come from?
This episode felt genuinely shocking and disturbing! And also, quite funny. Who would have thunk it!
Anyway, I like this now! Wonder where this'll lead to, if it's a one-off kinda thing or if the show's just messed up now.
I prefer messed up! I might be a bit weird though.

Wow...

Guys, that was just awful and I hope this series now losses narrative to continue and tanks, because this is just a waste of space on The Escapist now. I didn't mind this show before when it just wasn't funny, but really?

I mean, I knew one of them was going to die and was kinda interested in how you guys would do it, but that was just absolutely tasteless.

If you guys are this desperate for hits, then that's just sad.

Oh and the suicide at the end, classy guys!

P.S

Don't give me "If you didn't like the show in the first place, don't watch it." They had all the potential to make this a good, even funny episode and end up making...this.

That wasn't funny or offensive even, just completely pointless and stupid.

Hahaha, she is finally dead!

Dark episode Russ, dark episode... I would have made her die in a much more humorous manner. This wasn't the greatest way you could have pulled this off.

But! The legal jokes were funny!

Maldeus:
I wasn't shocked when Beth got hit, but I was irked. I had assumed the Hand of Fate thing was a joke, because the concept of choosing a character to die by playing a flash game was so obviously, incredibly bad and I assumed the Game Dogs people, who had actually started being funny as of the second season, would realize that. Headless Kevin and Mr. Yee getting shot in the face was funny, because both of them were clearly unharmed, which created a bizarre juxtaposition between the expected effects of the gore and what actually happened. Bob's suddenly going nuts was a good way to turn an uninteresting character into a more entertaining one. The knives episode was probably the funniest Game Dogs ever, because while I never really burst out laughing, I was smiling through nearly the whole thing.

You know what I was expecting? I was expecting this to all just be a dream, or a fantasy, or something. I had kind of assumed, particularly when Bob was beating Beth's not-quite-corpse and ranting on about it, that this was all going to end up being a Take That to a forums community which I assumed was calling for blood, something in the vein of "do you see how incredibly STUPID that would have been? Yes? Okay, good, let's move on." But no, you were actually DEAD SERIOUS when you thought this would be funny. Everything that was actually funny about this episode (the stuff with the lawbook, mostly) could've been done without killing anyone, or by just killing a faceless extra.

And the suicide? Did you consider actually making a joke about that bit? Or somehow actually making your comedy show comedic? Just a thought.

As for "the four clues," if this were any other episode, I'd watch it once or twice more to try and find them. Heck, I watched the knives episode twice just because it was funny. But this episode sucked, everything you've been doing right in season two was probably accidental, and trying to sift through clues to dig up plot points in a series that's likely going to go even further downhill from here will just be a waste of my time.

Irked is a good word for it...

I'm with you 100%, this could've been done in several, far more tasteful ways, but they went strictly for the most offensive route to guarantee the most nerd rage. It now seems they're fully aware that this series is dependent on crying fans, and now they're just encouraging it.

I feel kind of bad for joining in on the bitching, (not that I'm saying you're bitching, I want to give you props for your well constructed criticism) but you know what? It's completely justified. Having a vote, then switching the victor for the loser of the vote at the last second, that's low. Even though I didn't care who died (though I like Roger and was hoping he wasn't really going to die) now as someone who like(d) the show, they've FORCED me to care, it makes me feel used and stupid for even taking place in the vote, even if I only participated for laughs.

And I really hate the argument "No one's making you watch this!" Sure, no one's MAKING me watch this, but for those of us who've been watching this series since it came out, liked it and wanted to see it get better, this is a complete slap in the face out of left field. It's especially insulting because you're right, this could have been done without the killing of a cast member, or if it was necessary, it could have MEANT something. But nope, no message, no point, no punch line, just "DEAD, HAHA, the person you didn't vote for died in a horribly tasteless way! Pfffff, screw you very small loyal fanbase!" Oh wow, and now they gave me a badge for it... please tell me I can delete this thing, I'm ashamed to have even been apart of that pointless vote.

I'm also convinced anything they where doing right before was purely on accident, this just proves to me that the staff behind this show has no idea what they're doing, and no amount of constructive comments are going to help them salvage this wreck of a show. It's literally one step forward and a quantum leap back. All the stuff you mentioned that was funny I also agree with, the Russians are what've been keeping me going thus far, but they're giving them almost NO focus, despite all the fucking hype behind them. They could have worked many of their last episodes into some meaningful plotline or something, it would have been easy! But they seem completely content with shotgunning the story until something sticks... I'm still a little irked about there being no more Mr. Yee, I loved him, he was actually my favorite character.

I mean, seriously, this is it, this is the episode that will kill this show. I'm convinced, they're done. Any loyal fans like me who stuck with this show to see if it gets better are done, even if we still keep watching, we will likely be glad when it's over. I'm sure even the fans who watch this purely to troll on it are done, what's the point if they never listen? They've burned their last bridge, and I'm now tempted to join the ones with the torches and pitchforks.

On a last note, you know what pulled Apocalypse Lane out of the gutter and into Escapist show success? Some fucking plot, a story, some meaningful structure and complex characters. I'm not even talking about much more then a spoonful's worth of depth, but it was enough to keep its loyal fanbase interested all the way to the last episode with a great ending, and there where some truly memorable moments. It turned out to be an extremely entertaining series that gave the viewer a sense of pride for sticking with it till the very end. Plus, they treated death the way it's suppose to be treated in a show, more or less (not gonna give away any spoilers though).

EDIT: Oh wait, saw the secret ending... ha-ha-fucking-ha (spoiler alert) Roger kills himself, how fucking funny and utterly pointless. Okay then, so there WAS a point to my vote... a secret ending that makes no sense and has no point, so now TWO characters are dead (even if the girl's still alive, I don't care, this is officially retarded) So what does this mean to me? It means a small portion of my earlier comments are slightly inaccurate, but it also means the only part about this I was thankful for (I.E. Roget not getting killed) is completely debunked. So yeah, it's official, I hate this show now.

Slash47:
That wasn't funny or offensive even, just completely pointless and stupid.

Agreed, though I am a little offended that my vote didn't matter AT ALL.

Redlin5:
Hahaha, she is finally dead!

Dark episode Russ, dark episode... I would have made her die in a much more humorous manner. This wasn't the greatest way you could have pulled this off.

But! The legal jokes were funny!

See? Even those of us HAPPY to see her dead think you guys could've done this more tastefully!
But yeah, the legal stuff was kinda funny.

WTF!? when i was playing she had the lowest score! it should have been Chet that died!

she was like, my favorite charicter! WTF!?

tamerman:
WTF!? when i was playing she had the lowest score! it should have been Chet that died!

she was like, my favorite charicter! WTF!?

Yep, Game Dogs has officialy told you to go screw yourself.

I LIKED BETH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. does this mean the series is ending soon? either that or this was a spoof episode... and ya, this was really dark and disturbing...

This is SO AWESOME! Can we please, PLEASE, kill them all?! This is great, best episode since the beguinning of this serie, no freaking doubt about that. Hallelujah!

GODoftheRIGOVERSE:
No way did anybody die 2 main characters in one episode no way because then the series would suck this is more like a tree house of horror episode on the simpsons

I MADE ANALOGY FIRST.

My ribs hurt from laughing so much. If that makes me a sadist then so be it. ROFL. Of course some of the comments are funny to read as well. I mean come on, if you were so offended by the gore then why watch it to the end?

So I watched this episode because it had a lot of comments. ^_^

^ And then I saw why. lol One thing is for sure, this episode gives me hope that my series can sneak on The Escapist! >D

deadlinejon:

GODoftheRIGOVERSE:
No way did anybody die 2 main characters in one episode no way because then the series would suck this is more like a tree house of horror episode on the simpsons

I MADE ANALOGY FIRST.

On no, now you have made him mad! RUN FOR IT!!!!

Wow, that was an exceedingly pointless and tasteless attempt to get viewers.
Also, if you can get away with killing off a main character, it just goes to show that the plot wasn't thought out ahead of time. Altogether weak.

Season one was ok. Season two started off with a great episode, and then turned to shit. Then, the icing on the cake, you killed off the only two characters I actually liked in a tasteless, unfunny manner, merely for a failed publicity stunt. I mean, two of the main characters? not even like, a side character like bob or gary, but two main characters...

the worst part is that their deaths were so trivialized. remember Apocalypse Lane? every character death in that show had meaning. This... this was just pathetic. A strangely fitting end to a mediocre series, all things considered...

not that I have any faith that this is the end.

Edit: oh yeah, I almost forgot about the suicide. on that merit alone, you have lost me as a viewer... I damn well might leave the escapist altogether if you all actually want to trivialize suicide, turn it into a joke...

I actually feel sick. If anyone elce agrees that that was just poor form, we should lobby to have this show (not just the episode) removed from the escapist for terrible judgment and poor taste. A good friend of mind took his own life a few years ago, and as a result, I am currently taking my ACSW (Addictions and Community Service Worker) Diploma with a focus on suicide.

Seriously... what the hell were you thinking?

I have been sitting here reading the comments and thinking long and hard about what to say as most of it has been said, and now I know what disturbs me most about this episodes, it's not the deaths themselves and it's not how the deaths happened (though the suicide was completely uncalled for), it's the reactions. Yes bob is clearly going or has gone insane, fueled by memories from a way he fought in, but his brother, no one who is trying to be a moral compass should be acting that way.

That being said killing off a main character who has been characterized over a period of time can work, if it's handled properly, no sudden and unexpected death isn't the problem, it's character reaction.

The death of a character, whether meaningful or pointless, gratuitous or subtle, built up or sudden can't be handled in a light tone, sure bit characters or "extras" in some cartoons (like the short lived dilbert cartoon) can be funny in death because they are just pointless background characters, but when a main character dies, someone or something should react appropriately.

I could go on for hours about how I feel things should have been handled, but for the moment I'm going to dive into potential reasons for this episodes events and some things that might interest some people who are still willing to give this show a chance, which I understand there are very very few of.

1. in the keywords there is the phrase "A furrwork orange" and obvious reference to "A clockwork orange", for those who are not familiar with that movie the main premise is that a criminal is forced to undergo a cure where is has his eyeballs pried open and forced to watch disturbing imagery and listen to certain kinds of music that in the end make him completely unable to participate in violence or any sexual activity; even thinking about these things now cause him great pain and when he is released back into the world the people he wronged are able to harm him in various ways and he has no way to even try to retaliate or protect himself.

2. building on part 1, throughout most of the video there is a faint noise of what sounds like a news report in the background, but it's very hard to make out and it may be a clue to something. Bob has quite clearly gone off the deep end since the Russians were introduced and it's possible that he's been committed and forced to view how things might happen if he doesn't wise up or someone is trying to desensitize him so he can't possibly hurt anyone.

3. this episode could be a joke. a very very very very very bad and poorly executed joke.

4. the creators might be pulling what the people behind star trek enterprise did in the final episode, kill off a character with no warning and without reason to get people talking, thinking that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" and that just getting comments is good enough for them. Here's a tip, the term "popular" just means that somethign is widespread and common, it comes from "populous" which means there's a lot of something, popular does not equal good.

To end things off, I agree with what pretty much everyone here has said, there was no reason for this episode to be made at all, no purpose, no point, not one redeeming bit; Rodger had no reason to commit suicide as he seemed to be getting used to his role in his world and actually showed some guts in certain episodes, say when he attacked Chet's action figures to shut him up, something that I found quite amusing.

There are so many ways this could have been improved, for example they could have forshadowed that someone might die but not have blatantly told us through a flash game that "one of these three characters will be killed off at some point" because if the deaths had been a complete surprise then maybe this might have been at least worth the value of "holy crap I can't believe that just happened!" but no, we were expecting this and just wondering "how, when and who?" For an example of how to retool this episode, they hit Beth, Bob's brother gets out, sees what happened, then gets back in alone (no corpse) and they drive away, then they could get into the convoluted legal discussion and it would have been funny. Then at the end they could have easily done a "fooled you" bit after the credits by showing Beth get up, bruised and hurt but not dead, and say something along the lines of "if I ever find out who did that, they're going to regret that they didn't finish me off" or something to that effect.

Will I keep watching this show?

Well I put up with about a year of Zero Punctuation turning into a non-stop complaint-fest and I was rewarded with seeing the last three reviews he did actually be informative and interesting to watch and not just being a long string of complaints with no real points being made. If next week's episode is able to amend what happened here, which is unlikely but not impossible, I may stick with this series and see it through until it ends in a proper way.

I have a high tolerance for stuff like this but I must say even after all the stuff I've managed to get through, this has made me question a lot of things about this site, the creators of this show, and I might stay with this to see what happens.

but I will say this, if the next episode is with Bob and his brother tossing Beth's body in a ditch or burying it so no one will find it, that will be it, I will have had it with this show and I will never watch it again.

To the creator, I hope you are actuality reading this, and if you don't post some reply to these threads by Monday, I think we should all send you emails so you know just how wrong what you did here was.

I laughed...hard...

Dear gods... the end was a tad bit harsh, but the Episode remindet me about Pulp Fiction (the guy in the backseat who got accidentally shot). But still a good one, bloody, gory and bruhaha.

Black Humor Ahoij! XD

I bet they're having a laugh about this. It'd be real funny if they gave no conculsion, and carried on pretending those characters never exsited.

Way to disturb the shit you guys! well played indeed!

Absolutely best episode ever.

The humour started off quite slow, in particular the reading part could have been shortened. I gather that it was supposed to focus the viewer on the eye? The jokes should have entered a bit earlier.

About halfway the episode took a good turn with the humour.

The guts were so visceral (for Escapist standards) that I felt the smell of dog tartare from my monitor. That combined with what sitcom humour? This could prove to be very interesting.

I am concerned however, we don't have any characters introduced to take the lead. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a silly unconnected dream, hallucination or some such.

if you take out everything but the law jokes that would have been good

as it stands its just disturbing

and moreso im still curious as to how making a portion of your (somewhat small) fanbase pissed that you killed their favorite character will do.......well, anything, it doesnt add anything and just kind of subtracts it...

clockout:
I bet they're having a laugh about this. It'd be real funny if they gave no conculsion, and carried on pretending those characters never exsited.

Way to disturb the shit you guys! well played indeed!

That would be hilarious :P

Well congratulations Escapist. Previously I just considered Game Dogs to be that unpleasant thing I could just shove into the corner and ignore. Now I'm downright embarrassed to be a member of the Escapist because of this. I'm sure getting new community members will be easy when their first impression of the website is this schlock. Do you really think this series reflects positively on this site at all? If this was the first thing I saw when I came here, I would've left right away.

Firerush:
snip

Gee that was very... intellectual like.

archont:
Absolutely best episode ever.

The humour started off quite slow, in particular the reading part could have been shortened. I gather that it was supposed to focus the viewer on the eye? The jokes should have entered a bit earlier.

About halfway the episode took a good turn with the humour.

The guts were so visceral (for Escapist standards) that I felt the smell of dog tartare from my monitor. That combined with what sitcom humour? This could prove to be very interesting.

By any chance do you have a untreated anti-social disorder?
(I jest I jest)

...WTF? Wow. Sure I voted Bethany but...wow. And why Roger too? Who's going to program now? Chet? Seriously. You just killed the driving force of the plot. Meaning Roger. Just Roger. I guess we'll wait and see where the series goes from here...tune in next time when Chet gets reamed by Gary for being inefficient despite the crippling loss of the rest of the game programming department.

...Holy hell. If half-mutilated suicidal animated-puppies can't traumatize a light-tone crowd, nothing will.

Nice job one-upping Old Yeller though.

Edit: If this was a perfect world, the hand would've tossed-up between Gary and Jennifer.

I voted bethany due to dog boobs. Don't give furries the benefit of that.

Now, to put this in perspective two of my favorite shows are Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, two shows that, by many accounts, fall on the side of tasteless and senseless. Yet even I think this episode was stupid. Note that I said stupid, not OMG HOW COULD YOU BE THAT OFFENSIVE.

This series pretty much built itself up like some light-toned american sitcom and then does this. It's like if there were an episode of friends where one of the guys rapes and murders Jennifer Aniston's character, then they try to make the usual lame jokes about it. Actually I take that back, because that would probably be fucking awesome and the best episode of Friends ever.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here