Stolen Pixels #234: Digdigdig

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Haha, that's awesome. The citadel recreated with obsidian.

I'd post a long, thought out post, but I am too busy building my majestic castle built into the side of a cliff, complete with floating farm/garden/forest to do so.

Oh, right. Good comic.

I rofled out loud on the Qbert joke ^^ , good one shamus!

There is a big difference between a cube and a wool cube.

Funny timing. I only started playing Minecraft yesterday, and it kept me up until 4 AM even though I actually wanted to go to sleep early. Terribly addictive.

What excites me most however, is the endless possibilities for variations and emergent gameplay that the simple game mechanics enable. I'm sure we will see alot of fascinating Minecraft spinoffs in the near future, in addition to the improvements on the original.

DTWolfwood:
Hmmm... I've always wanted a life size Ship of the Line. Namely the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin. I wonder if one can in Minecraft?

Isn't that the 140 gun monster in Napoleon Total War? Took so many broadsides even from my 122 gun first rate to put that thing down.

Since I've heard the map is like 6 times what Earth is that means someone could build a complete death star. Maybe a few star destroyers. We need a team of star wars fanatics working round the clock for a few months then the entire world will collectively brown it's pants at the sight of that much awesome.

DTWolfwood:
Hmmm... I've always wanted a life size Ship of the Line. Namely the Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin. I wonder if one can in Minecraft?

you can build ANYTHING you want in Minecraft. Literally anything. Hit up youtube for examples, there's one guy who built a life-size, 1:1 scale replica of the starship enterprise. It's utterly mindblowing.

Minecraft is the next in a long line of epic Craft games with the word craft in them

JourneyThroughHell:
Minecraft comics?

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Keep'em up, Shamus.

In fact, why not a "Shamus Plays: Minecraft"?

yeah!

I still wait till someone implements shamus "Craft of Craftcraft". I'll send help to that guy recreating minas Thirit, as soon as i finished the Taj Mahal out of Diamondblocks.

Ah, Minecraft. I never get sick of playing it, hearing about it, or inadvertently setting my massive Frank Lloyd Wright-style house on fire thanks to illogical physics.

thermo1:

JourneyThroughHell:
Minecraft comics?

Keep'em up, Shamus.

yeah!

Seconded! Thirded? You must!

Yokai:

thermo1:

JourneyThroughHell:
Minecraft comics?

Keep'em up, Shamus.

yeah!

Seconded! Thirded? You must!

hell yes

hey Shamus, you ever gunna do something like left 4 dumb again? now that the origional cast is on the scene again, you could bring them back, or just transfer to the new cast.

Sgt. Sykes:
Is there anyone who does NOT like that game so much? I haven't tried it yet, I'm not into anything sandbox (just want to have a linear experience, mostly), so just curious.

Minecraft is the pinnacle of sandbox gaming. It's completely open ended, with no goals or direction supplied to the user. It is literally only as fun as you make it.

So, if you're not into non-linear, or rather in this case no linear, gaming you may want to pass. However, I would cautiously suggest you try the free "Classic" version. No monsters, crafting, or death to worry about, just pure creation.

more minecraft comics pleez!

How very true.

You first boot it up and it's like... wow, this is it?

Four hours later you begin to realize just how dangerous a drug you have begun ingesting.

And about six days later you start wondering if you should even bother sleeping anymore.

Xan Krieger:
We need a team of star wars fanatics working round the clock for a few months then the entire world will collectively brown it's pants at the sight of that much awesome.

Minecraft has given us, for the first time ever, an actual need for real Death Star plumbing contractors.

I love it.

I avoid playing minecraft. Why? Because every time I enter the game it takes at least 5 hours for me to exit it... Only to open my browser, find some post about minecraft and hop into it again.

Oh boy, here we go!

Again, this looks like Dwarf Fortress with multiplayer.

Not saying that's a bad thing though, unless you consider being addicted a good one.

UtopiaV1:
I would write something about the comic here, but I'm busy creating a scale model Minas Tirith in Minecraft. Also, send help!

Will fifteen hundred cobblestones help, or you mean the other kind? (I actually blew up a couple of mountains for that stuff.)

JourneyThroughHell:
Minecraft comics?

Keep'em up, Shamus.

And then it would be followed by "Shamus Plays: More Minecraft" which would then be tailed by "Shamus Plays: Even More Minecraft" and then the exciting follow-up: "Shamus Plays: Collect Unemployment Checks"

MorteSphere:

Unrulyhandbag:

MorteSphere:

Unrulyhandbag:
Actually the hi-res models of Breen and Metro look surprisingly okay in minecraft.

Hey notch! can you give us higher res player models?

no wait, it took me long enough to make a skin for the current models. don't bother.

MorteSphere:
Try Dwarf Fortress.

Shit's nuts. Dem cast obsidian obelisks.

Or import dwarf fortress maps to minecraft :)

Boring in comparison.

True enough, but MC is far from finished and Notch seems interested in making it far more complex in the long run.

Once he makes it a lot more like First Person DF than it already is, I'll buy it.

So all the guy really needs to add is elephants and angsty dwarves then? (also elves that act like pricks?)

EDIT: ZING!

Obsidian is a pain in the bum to work with. if you missplace a block you've lost another 15 seconds of boring picking. Still, it's fun to build a Doomfortress out of Obsidian. mainly because it can't be destroyed by explosions.

Xan Krieger:

DTWolfwood:

Isn't that the 140 gun monster in Napoleon Total War? Took so many broadsides even from my 122 gun first rate to put that thing down.

Since I've heard the map is like 6 times what Earth is that means someone could build a complete death star. Maybe a few star destroyers. We need a team of star wars fanatics working round the clock for a few months then the entire world will collectively brown it's pants at the sight of that much awesome.

the only reason i played spain too XD

adderseal:

you can build ANYTHING you want in Minecraft. Literally anything. Hit up youtube for examples, there's one guy who built a life-size, 1:1 scale replica of the starship enterprise. It's utterly mindblowing.

Unfortunately the guy cheated on that project. Tho if he didnt id suppose it have taken him a life time. lol

Sgt. Sykes:
Is there anyone who does NOT like that game so much?

<--this guy.

Not that this was a surprise given I didn't like Dwarf Fortress either and they're games in the same general vein.

matrix3509:

MorteSphere:

Unrulyhandbag:

MorteSphere:

Unrulyhandbag:
Actually the hi-res models of Breen and Metro look surprisingly okay in minecraft.

Hey notch! can you give us higher res player models?

no wait, it took me long enough to make a skin for the current models. don't bother.

MorteSphere:
Try Dwarf Fortress.

Shit's nuts. Dem cast obsidian obelisks.

Or import dwarf fortress maps to minecraft :)

Boring in comparison.

True enough, but MC is far from finished and Notch seems interested in making it far more complex in the long run.

Once he makes it a lot more like First Person DF than it already is, I'll buy it.

So all the guy really needs to add is elephants and angsty dwarves then? (also elves that act like pricks?)

EDIT: ZING!

Elf? What's an Elf? I think I've heard people refer to Elf Bone Bolt Cattle as Elves before.

DTWolfwood:

adderseal:

Unfortunately the guy cheated on that project. Tho if he didnt id suppose it have taken him a life time. lol

He did? Ah well, still looks awesome!
Although maybe not as awesome as a replica of planet Earth, as big as they could build it...pretty sure that's legit, it took a dedicated team a looong time.

John the Gamer:
Obsidian is a pain in the bum to work with. if you missplace a block you've lost another 15 seconds of boring picking. Still, it's fun to build a Doomfortress out of Obsidian. mainly because it can't be destroyed by explosions.

Unless you hack the game and send all packets used to represent one pick on the block at once instead of over the course of 15 seconds *whistles*

adderseal:

DTWolfwood:

adderseal:

He did? Ah well, still looks awesome!
Although maybe not as awesome as a replica of planet Earth, as big as they could build it...pretty sure that's legit, it took a dedicated team a looong time.

from what i gather the game space itself isnt actually large enough to allow for that. But even a 1/100 scale would be great ^-^

Femaref:

John the Gamer:

Unless you hack the game and send all packets used to represent one pick on the block at once instead of over the course of 15 seconds *whistles*

That's total gibberish to me. I do tend to use the Savegame editor to give me infinite amounts of diamond tools and building materials when I don't care about the game and want to try out building styles and traps and such. I once created a Obsidian tower in the middle of the ocean (sort of) wich was build to the maximum hight with lava running down the sides. but I hadn't dug a entrance/exit tunnel out yet, so when I fel off I was screwed. and slightly toasted. Right now I'm experimenting a bit with caracter creation (skin editor-thing) made a demon lord with shiny golden armour and a red-black scaled skin :)

Edit: He looks retarded btw.

Actually, its already been done, or at least the first chapter has.

Atually, someone already has created HL2 in Minecraft, or at least, the first chapter.

Edit: and somehow clicking edit just makes another post... oh and on the topic of stuff made in Minecraft, im making (not that ill ever be done) a bridge that goes forever :D. so far my filesize is 52 MB

JourneyThroughHell:
Minecraft comics?

Keep'em up, Shamus.

Shamus Plays: Minecraft would be awesome! And yeah, he should totally make some more Minecraft comics! :D

Shamus Young:
Stolen Pixels #234: Digdigdig

Dr. Breen discovers Minecraft.

Read Full Article

You should come see the Unofficial Escapist Server! It has a giant Escapist logo and everything!

HOLY...

BRB! Need obsidian tower!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook