More on Halo: Reach

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

More on Halo: Reach

If you thought Yahtzee liked Halo: Reach, you're wrong.

Read Full Article

I dont care for halo, but I do care about multiplayer. Most fps games released these days use their singleplayer as a kind of tour of the environments, weapons and mechanics. Notable exceptions exist, but for the most part multiplayer games are the core of gaming today.

I would point out that the Halo Reach multiplayer is extremly easy to navigate through without trouble, but I never expected Yahtzee to review multiplayer in the first place. It was a great video, can't wait for more.

Yes, it is rather boring. There are new weapons and vehicles. (Or should I say old). I much prefered ODST's characterisation. I only starting liking Noble team (a little) after about half of them were dead.

Predictable responses, but I'm not sure why people got the wrong impression. (OK I admit, I was a bit baffled by his Haze review initially, but whatever). But possibly the biggest revelation today, is that he liked Metal Gear Solid 3, so far as to say it's one of the best in the series. And I couldn't agree more.

So, wait, what? Does this mean Yahztee actually reads comments on his videos? Huh, you learn something new every day I guess.

And when it's Yahtzee, I'm happy to settle for him finding it "inoffensive", even if I disagree and think it's awesome. Yes, even the singleplayer - indeed, I thought that was the best part and can't get enough of the campaign.

(still no reply? M be disappoint)

Yahtzee should have played with subtitles on. I know Jorge pronounces it "mom" but that's just his accent - he's saying "ma'am."

Anyhoo, I guess Reach can join Half-Life 2 at the Mediocrity Table, eh?

But I like this shirt... :(

Yahtzee was probably not a man who played Final Fantasy XI. Guess he wouldn't have liked it.

Nice article, telling that the game was refreshing but still mediocre. Trying not to make a GTAIV mistake again, eh Yahtzee?

Calumon: I thought he was the real Layton!

Yahtzee, hon. I think we need a new metaphor besides "wallpaper paste" to describe something bland.

Unless, of course, you're trying to be ironic in the concept by using the same metaphor for something that's bland and samey, in which case I'll need a cricket bat to properly discipline you.

But as for competitive multiplayer, I'm sorry, I just don't see the appeal of playing the same maps over and over again to find out which one out of you is the best at whatever it is you're doing. That's not why I'm into gaming. Call me antisocial.

Sure, but you can't blame the game for that. Different games cater to different tastes.

The fact that one is not into competitive multiplayer gaming doesn't make games that focus on it bad, it just makes them games that don't belong in ones tastes. The game can still function properly, have solid and well-balanced gameplay, that sort of thing. I hate FIFA games, just go outside and play football yourself you lazy bum, but I can't call them bad games just for that.

I wouldn't use MMO's as examples either, I'd pick games like Unreal Tournament, Quake, Team Fortress 2 and most fighting games.

Spartans must go through a similar training regimen to suicide bombers.

While my only full experience with the Halo universe was that mostly mediocre collection of short films, as I understand it, Spartans are essentially slave-soldiers, so this actually seems pretty appropriate to me.

Though I think the idea of humanity's only hope being people who were brutalized into becoming little more than killing machines would make a better story than Lt. Bravey McValient nobly sacrificing etc etc. Even Marathon did a better job at that idea, and pretty much all it had for story were text screens.

Actually, the 'mum' is more his creator, and the creator of chief too. This was the bit i had a problem with. Big fan of the series so far, so i know Halsey made the Spartan 2s but everyone else doesn't. Unless you read the books or the wiki you have no fucking clue who she is and it is sure as hell not explained in Reach.
I hated this game because what could have been a 15 hour masterpiece if explained properly and emoted, was a 8 hour rush job with no substance

Not everybody likes single player games. I don't play single player at all, ever. Therefore, all games must be judged on their multiplayer experience alone.

Actually you listed the problems I had with the game despite me still loving it.

I mean sure its was made manly for the fans, but it would of been better for those who never played the game to actually know why everything is happening. As for the characters, yes they are pretty dull but compared to the other games it beats not having nothing.

Overall despite the flaws I still enjoyed it.

Jack and Calumon:
Yahtzee was probably not a man who played Final Fantasy XI. Guess he wouldn't have liked it.!

It would have been an epic review. The metrosexual pretentiousness of the Final Fantasy games combined with mind numbing grind of the MMO genre. It would also most likely be his last review because he would have been committed to an asylum for the criminally insane after that.

Oh Halo fans, will you do anything for cultural acceptance like twisting the words of a harsh game critic to say that he enjoyed the game?

But...I'm not wearing a shirt!

...oh.

People really thought he liked Halo:Reach? Wow.

As for the Spartans being cold-blooded and distant to their mums: I think 13 year olds dig that. The story might be bland (have yet to play any Halo) but it's pretty perfectly engineered for the likes of young boys from the looks of it.

Co-op is one thing, but that's basically just single player with a ball and chain (and if you've never gotten that impression of co-op, it's because you're the ball and chain).

Can someone explain this to me? I don't get it.

Yeah, you're right about that last one, but I don't really have anything better to wear.
I want to know something: are there any points in the story where it works better in 3rd person than it would in 1st person?

To be fair to the fanboys who decree that this game is great. What you say is a passable game, is tantamount to getting a 5/5 for a game to any fanboy whom been following your rants all this time! I mean one can count how many times you have praised a game with the fingers of one hand.

I found myself shocked that the review was more on the middle ground than your usual one sided take on games. The main reason fanboys love this game so much is the details. Story is secondary if you get the details right ^-^

Rooster Cogburn:
Not everybody likes single player games. I don't play single player at all, ever. Therefore, all games must be judged on their multiplayer experience alone.

And not everybody plays multiplayer. In fact I'm willing to say that more people play single player. However, I believe the games should be reviewed based on both, as people that don't have the ability to play online multiplayer would want to know about single player.

I'm currently playing through Enslaved and I like it a lot. Its nice knowing that a good single player campaign can still get made today when publishers think all we want is more Call of Duty.

You know what the worst part of in Enslaved is? Shooting things.

I like shooters but there are way too many out there right now and they all focus too much on multiplayer. I read a review for Medal of Honor claiming that the campaign was about 5 hours. 5 hours for 60 bucks? That's fucking outrageous, yet they can do it because multiplayer is the main focus. I like multiplayer and I like that there are games that specialize in it but we need some kick ass campaigns too.

Its likely been said, but fuck it, i'm to lazy to read and i have a full English dinner awaiting me. Jorge (the one with a mum) was actually saying "ma'am". I had to turn on the subtitles to notice this.

Now onto the bangers and mash.

Yahtzee is just so tired and predictable. I'm sick of hearing him blather on about how multiplayer doesn't matter. It sure as hell seems to matter to a lot of other people.

I've grown so tone deaf to Yahtzee's profanity-laced ramblings that they start to sound something like...

yankeefan19:

Rooster Cogburn:

And not everybody plays multiplayer. In fact I'm willing to say that more people play single player. However, I believe the games should be reviewed based on both, as people that don't have the ability to play online multiplayer would want to know about single player.

I'm with you, actually. I was stating the inverse of Yahtzee's take on multiplayer to show how silly it sounds. I understand not taking an interest in multiplayer, but I am continually baffled by his stance of 'it's not relevant to me, therefore it's irrelevant' regarding multiplayer.

Ok, call me a fanboy, because I probably am, but he's already stated that he hasn't followed the series and this is a fan game. Bungie would've been happy not having to do another Halo if people had shut up about it. The Spartans aren't meant to be relatable, and they were trained to die if need be to give a significant advantage to their team members, all of which is covered in those wonderful little books that I'm sure Yahtzee refuses to read. I'm not saying Halo Reach was perfect, it's far from, but I think Yahtzee is letting his own personal experience(or lack thereof) and feelings get in his review. I thought Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series and has since gone downhill. It would've been a lot better if they'd gone with ODST's or Marines, because most people I've talked with are tired of playing as Spartans. They've been predictable since before Halo 3 when the first book series came out. I hope this isn't the last in the franchise since I'd like to see something done outside the Spartan story arcs, and maybe it'll be fresher since it won't be Bungie's child anymore. Maybe something along the lines of playing a Marine from his first deployment out of boot and taking us through a career we can choose depending on what our preferred play style is.

Master Chief being secretly gay is old news. Like Dumbledore and Gordon Freeman.

"Cortana was the ghost of his dead aunt."

Amusingly accurate, actually.

Spartans going to Kamikaze school XD
... and it's not fat - it's buffed XD

Yahtzee did you actually READ that "ancillary media", because it also explains away the floaty movement feel and the first half of the book makes the whole "mum" thing completely false. Next time make use of all the facts there, just taking the ones that support your argument shows narrow-mindedness.
As for the article, I agree with you about Reach's campaign. However, the gameplay has evolved over the years, it's just that for Reach they went back to halo 1's formula with some refinements from the other games. And what is it with you and saying that every game needs a boss fight? And did you even look at Firefight? Or Forge?
Honestly though, you didn't need to write an article about this. Everyone knows how you feel about Halo (you made it abundantly clear in the Turok review) so we all know you're just trying to get traffic figures and to make us to act like little gibbering morons in the forums.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy it either. I also don't like Bungie's "No idiots allowed" policy which bans achievment points from drooling imbiciles like myself who can only play on easy. Well fuck you to Halo, it's not my fault you give more than half of the bad guys greneade launchers, and I'm handed a crappy pistol and an assault rifle with poor aiming.

kael013:
Yahtzee did you actually READ that "ancillary media", because it also explains away the floaty movement feel and the first half of the book makes the whole "mum" thing completely false. Next time make use of all the facts there, just taking the ones that support your argument shows narrow-mindedness.

No one should have to read a novel to understand the plot of a video game...or a movie or whatever. Singular works of fiction should stand on their own, otherwise it all just becomes a closed, fanboy-centric loop.

qbanknight:
Oh Halo fans, will you do anything for cultural acceptance like twisting the words of a harsh game critic to say that he enjoyed the game?

" it's basically inoffensive. It'll certainly pass the time and it even has a few fleeting impressive moments"

Yep.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or