More on Halo: Reach

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

How can you complain about the spazztarded physics etc whilst raving about the fact that it's not like all the other realistic shooters?
and companies spend just as much time on designing/building multiplayer levels and maps and making sure the user experience is enjoyable with new and innovative products as they do on single player, especially those like HALO and COD that revolve around it, so dismissing it entirely from a game is childish. For someone so eager to embrace new gaming revelations and going on about how it's the medium of the future, you seem rather sceptical to embrace such an important breakthrough that is social gaming.

Yahtzee:
that shirt you're wearing makes you look fat.

Awww...but my Grandma gave me this shirt.

Cowabungaa:

But as for competitive multiplayer, I'm sorry, I just don't see the appeal of playing the same maps over and over again to find out which one out of you is the best at whatever it is you're doing. That's not why I'm into gaming. Call me antisocial.

Sure, but you can't blame the game for that. Different games cater to different tastes.

The fact that one is not into competitive multiplayer gaming doesn't make games that focus on it bad, it just makes them games that don't belong in ones tastes. The game can still function properly, have solid and well-balanced gameplay, that sort of thing.

And yet, millions of dollars were invested into designing, writing, and programming the single player campaign. There's no excuse for just making that suck because "well, people will get it for the multiplayer".

If the only thing that's been good about the Halo series has been the Multiplayer then why should I or anyone fork over $60 so I can play the exact same thing but with jetpacks? If that's all this was about they could have saved a lot of money on both ends just by making it an expansion pack.

Reach isn't earth, it has different gravity.
Hallsey isn't Jorge's real mother, she is the doctor who enrolled him in the spartan program
Spartans aren't meant to be emotional, they are trained to be willing to give their lives if necessary

I agree with you to a point about there not being enough backstory, but don't criticize things that you don't understand...

Other than that, I agree that cutscenes should have had more first person, but halo has always been a multiplayer game (except arguably for halo CE and ODST), and to completely ignore multiplayer, custom games, forge, firefight, and theatre is just stupid.

Wow, what a worthless 'article', to follow up a rather mundane review.

So let's see, Yahtzee refuses to play the multiplayer, the aspect gamers likely spend at least 60% of the their game time playing. Hell a bunch of the online-players haven't even touched the Halo 3 campaign. Some folks just aren't interested, and Bungie seem to pay a lot more attention to the multiplayer.

So instead he pays attention to the story, only he hasn't bothered to play much, if any, of the previous games, neither has he glanced at the canon.

I doubt Mass Effect 2's story is abundantly clear to people who haven't played the first, Y'know why?

- The game has sold many, many copies.
- The history/canon is available online, for free.
- Boring the fans (the people games like this are generally aimed at), with details they already know about, isn't good storytelling.

Granted, Halo: Reach doesn't sound like a great game, I haven't touched it in fact, yet it is clear that Yahtzee is making bad judgements on a game he wrong foots from the start.

Complaining about a game being mediocre, and then making a mediocre review and follow up statement which ignores the most important facets of the game, is poor conduct for a reviewer.

Oh That Dude:

Akalabeth:

Personally I can't take Yahtzee very seriously as a reviewer if he refuses to review more than half the game.

I mean, disregarding his lack of logic in refusing to accept that multiplayer is worthy of consideration when talking about a game, he also fails to acknowledge two pretty hefty elements of the game: Forge and Firefight. That's not even multiplayer but it's heaved into the "ignore" bin anyway.

And rightly so. Firefight is a massive waste of time. I played it single player, all I did was run around and try to stay alive. Got to the 4th wave, killed about 40+ guys and what did I get? 60 credits and nothing else? What's the point??? I'd rather kill 40 guys on the single player campaign where there's actually a reason for fighting.

You realize that without online enabled you get more credits for firefight? That being the case, if you are going to get the full feel for single player you have to disconnect yourself from Xbox Live. This point you made completely ignores the point of the post you took time to quote. (Single-player vs. Multiplayer vs. "I dont like Firefight")

Stevepinto3:
And yet, millions of dollars were invested into designing, writing, and programming the single player campaign. There's no excuse for just making that suck because "well, people will get it for the multiplayer".

If the only thing that's been good about the Halo series has been the Multiplayer then why should I or anyone fork over $60 so I can play the exact same thing but with jetpacks? If that's all this was about they could have saved a lot of money on both ends just by making it an expansion pack.

Woah partner, don't get me wrong, I didn't react on the Halo part, just that statement. I haven't actually played Halo: Reach (sadly) so I'll reserve my judgement on that one.

I personally loved the campaign of the previous Halo's though, except ODST's, but that's because I didn't play that. Hoped that one would blow a fresh wind through the series, but it didn't. Halo 3 all over again, and I kinda longed for something fresh.

God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im not into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

KillZone shotgun> Halo shotgun

Shihan2:
Ok, call me a fanboy, because I probably am, but he's already stated that he hasn't followed the series and this is a fan game. Bungie would've been happy not having to do another Halo if people had shut up about it. The Spartans aren't meant to be relatable, and they were trained to die if need be to give a significant advantage to their team members, all of which is covered in those wonderful little books that I'm sure Yahtzee refuses to read. I'm not saying Halo Reach was perfect, it's far from, but I think Yahtzee is letting his own personal experience(or lack thereof) and feelings get in his review. I thought Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series and has since gone downhill. It would've been a lot better if they'd gone with ODST's or Marines, because most people I've talked with are tired of playing as Spartans. They've been predictable since before Halo 3 when the first book series came out. I hope this isn't the last in the franchise since I'd like to see something done outside the Spartan story arcs, and maybe it'll be fresher since it won't be Bungie's child anymore. Maybe something along the lines of playing a Marine from his first deployment out of boot and taking us through a career we can choose depending on what our preferred play style is.

So instead of being a steroid pumped super soldier, you would rather play as a Marine. A man, who without all the steroid pumped super soldiers running around, would be dead ten seconds after stepping onto the battlefield? Why not just play Call of Duty then?

Personally, I can't relate to anyone who regenerates health by walking over a health pack, or anyone that only jumps 10 feet in the air as opposed to the 40 feet Spartans seem to manage. If you change it to a marine, it would just feel like ODST where your Stamina's basically your shields and your health is your health. You're still taking about 20 shots before you die, so you're still a steroid pumped super soldier.

Oh, nice use of one of Shamus's "You have to know every detail from every form of media even remotely related to the game before you can review it" thing from his Fanboy Guide.

roostuf:
God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

What's a shotgun?

Why are so many of the posts here "Ive never played Halo(and proud of it!), but its gay and for morons with undescended testicles." Ignorance isn't a reason a game sucks. At least Yahtzee has the deceny to go through the game before condemning it.

Yes the story is disappointing that they didn't do more. That's my only problem with it. I love the multiplayer, because I can dig the modes that dont require a fully cooperating team- Team Swat and Rumble Pit, plus the firefight modes.

The core gameplay hasn't changed. Huh, ya know I think thats why it's the core, and they add to it not mess with it. I mean, they've sold a couple million of these things right? So obviously many people are entertained by it. They've added jet packs and armor lock, and messed with some weapons. I love reach the second most of all the Halo's. Still doesn't beat the original in my book.

Ha! I'm not wearing a shirt!

i'm not surprised Halo Reach is rather boring.

I actually just picked up Halo Combat Evolved for PC about a week or two ago. I'm honestly falling asleep. All I've done so far is drive bots around, infiltrate a base alone, then go back to babysitting retards again. I can't believe people have been finding this stimulating. Haven't done multiplayer yet, but I have L4D which I just like better from a multiplayer stand-point.

I don't know wether or not to trust your judgement when you, born in Britain, doesn't know the difference between mum and ma'am.

Too bad that Yahtzee will never delve into these comments deep enough to actually engage in a reasonable discourse. But all the same, I must thank him for validating my commentary about how he approaches his reviews from an already biased (pro- or con-) position.

Yahtzee (and yes, I would say this to your face): You are a HELL of an entertainer... but a piss-poor 'critic'.

Actually, if you turn on the subtitles, Jorge is saying ma'am, not mum. Accents, m'right?

roostuf:
God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im not into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

You know... I gave Killzone 2 a chance. Is the first one better? I only played the Single Player, but it felt sluggish as hell.

SilverUchiha:

I actually just picked up Halo Combat Evolved for PC about a week or two ago. I'm honestly falling asleep. All I've done so far is drive bots around, infiltrate a base alone, then go back to babysitting retards again. I can't believe people have been finding this stimulating. Haven't done multiplayer yet, but I have L4D which I just like better from a multiplayer stand-point.

I'm not a halo fan, I don't actually own ANY of them, but I can tell you the game has changed a LOT since the first one. I know that sounds contradictory to what everyone is saying, and I in fact agree with everyone that the core mechanics haven't changed over the past 9 years. But that certainly does not mean that they're the same game. The first game IS rather boring these days, but the new ones still hold a fair bit of fun.

I agree! The shirt I'm wearing makes me look extremely fat.

SilverUchiha:

i'm not surprised Super Mario Galaxy 2 is rather boring.

I actually just picked up Mario Bros. for NES about a week or two ago. I'm honestly falling asleep. All I've done so far is jump on goombas, infiltrate a castle alone, then go back to babysitting Luigi and Peach again. I can't believe people have been finding this stimulating. Haven't done the full game yet, but I have Sonic which I just like better from a full game stand-point.

My shirt makes me look fat? Ha Yahtzee, you fool, I am shirtless.

ShadowSilencer:

SilverUchiha:

I actually just picked up Mario Bros. for NES about a week or two ago. I'm honestly falling asleep. All I've done so far is jump on goombas, infiltrate a castle alone, then go back to babysitting Luigi and Peach again. I can't believe people have been finding this stimulating. Haven't done the full game yet, but I have Sonic which I just like better from a full game stand-point.

Oh, I see what you did there. Clever (not). I'm just saying that I've never really been into Halo. Then once I get two games, and discover they aren't really all that impressive as they hype seemed to indicate, I'm just a bit disappointed. And I have done multiplayer on the console versions when I played at a friend's place a few times... and hated it because of... hell... lotta reasons. Guess I'll try to make points like that a bit more clear next time so you don't have to waste the time and energy replying to my posts like that. :D

And... yeah... Mario is kinda boring too... but that's a different conversation for a different topic. :D

I haven't played Reach yet but it's Halo. No one expects anything of the single-player and everyone knows Yahtzee's stance on multiplayer. I know these new abilities are likely a great addition to multiplayer, but no Halo cannot stand on a single player basis.

Then I also firmly believe Yahtzee may need to soften his draconic standard with single player only. There are not a lot of FPSs designed to be sustained on single-player and often these games have a strong and well developed heirarchy of bonuses, gains, titles, etc... To overlook these mechanics is rather narrow-minded, though as it would take a lot more work and time to test all of those I can hardly blame Yahtzee for not taking part in that aspect.

Artemus_Cain:
Yeah, I'm not going to buy it either. I also don't like Bungie's "No idiots allowed" policy which bans achievment points from drooling imbiciles like myself who can only play on easy. Well fuck you to Halo, it's not my fault you give more than half of the bad guys greneade launchers, and I'm handed a crappy pistol and an assault rifle with poor aiming.

I like that policy for exactly this reason. The pistol will kill any enemy in one shot to an unshielded head, and the assault rifle is perfect for taking down shields at close range (note: it only works at close range)
This keeps achievements as what they should be: Achievements. Anyone could beat a game on Easy. That's not a challenge, that's not an achievement. Beating Legendary alone, or killing an Elite with an assassination to stop a fatal fall, those aren't achievements you can get without trying. If you want to breeze by and enjoy the scenery on easy, or see the campaign unfold, by all means play easy. But don't think for a second you're going to get rewarded with challenges or achievements for it.

I personally enjoyed Reach, though it had it's faults. I would love to see some DLC flesh out bits of the story, or finally show what the hell happened to Jun.
Yahtzee, I look forward to your next review. I may not always agree with what you say, but you make some good points and I'll defend to the death your right to make them.

meh. if its not broken, don't fix it. I think thats what bungie were thinking when they make halo games

SilverUchiha:

ShadowSilencer:

SilverUchiha:

Oh, I see what you did there. Clever (not). I'm just saying that I've never really been into Halo. Then once I get two games, and discover they aren't really all that impressive as they hype seemed to indicate, I'm just a bit disappointed. And I have done multiplayer on the console versions when I played at a friend's place a few times... and hated it because of... hell... lotta reasons. Guess I'll try to make points like that a bit more clear next time so you don't have to waste the time and energy replying to my posts like that. :D

And... yeah... Mario is kinda boring too... but that's a different conversation for a different topic. :D

What did I do......OMG! my post was almost exactly the same as yours.....that's so funny.

I honestly have to agree with every word he says about reach. Normally, i only agree with him 50-70%, but i thought Reach was a horrible, horrible game.

The worst part is the multiplayers "Matchmaking". It doesnt match players by skill ((even if you choose the preference for it to)) all it does is put you wil people the same rank. And then, you have a horrible voting system, where you never get to play what mode you want.

I like regular "Team slayer", but i get "Team DMRs" or "Team Sniper" half a dozen times in a row, on maps i hate with a passion.

One map called "The Cage" is openly broken for "Team Swat". You can litterally spawn in view of several people, who sadly, are not on your team. ((If you dont know, a head shot in team swat is 1 hit kill))

And i thought MW2 was bad.

i7omahawki:
-snipped-

I doubt Mass Effect 2's story is abundantly clear to people who haven't played the first, Y'know why?

- Boring the fans (the people games like this are generally aimed at), with details they already know about, isn't good storytelling.

-snipped-

The thing there is... ME2 isn't a prequel. It's made to be a sequel where you just continue on. The point he made was more about it being a prequel and still expecting anyone that played Halo to practically read all the books about it before diving into the gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of Halo, but I did play Reach, and I can say that there definitely were a LOT of points or plotholes that made no sense or didn't even attempt to have a reasonable explanation. There's a difference between boring the fans with details they already know and actually adding some meaningful content.

INF1NIT3 D00M:
assault rifle is perfect for taking down shields at close range (note: it only works at close range)

That's probably because you're used to console shooters where holding down the trigger feels like the only option. I went through the entire game taking down shielded enemies from long range with the assault rifle by firing short bursts and that's on the Veteran difficulty, whatever is after normal. I play CS a lot and spraying only gets you called a noob and killed, seems that my CS experience paid off.

Midnight0000:

i7omahawki:
-snipped-

-snipped-

The thing there is... ME2 isn't a prequel. It's made to be a sequel where you just continue on. The point he made was more about it being a prequel and still expecting anyone that played Halo to practically read all the books about it before diving into the gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of Halo, but I did play Reach, and I can say that there definitely were a LOT of points or plotholes that made no sense or didn't even attempt to have a reasonable explanation. There's a difference between boring the fans with details they already know and actually adding some meaningful content.

Yeah, I didn't like Star Wars Episode 1 either.

Since when has anything on Xbox live involved having to faff with getting everyone on the same server? At least stick to facts, that way your name is less likely to skip association from 'Sweet Hat' to 'Ass Hat'.

Quite honestly it was a fun game, for the first week I had it...good thing I borrowed it from someone else...

General Vagueness:

Fronzel:

Uber Waddles:
Spartans are basically enslaved Super Soldiers. They are captured young, and raised to accept orders and to be as effective as possible. THATS why they are so willing to throw their lives away: their job is to get the MISSION done. Period.

No matter the odds, no matter what needs to happen, YOU have a job to do, and no one else is gonna do it. If anything, the ending of Reach fit extremely well into the overall story; they gave their lives for hope.

I find it extremely disturbing that slavery is the hope of mankind. Disturbing the audience can be a great narrative tool, but I get the impression that the whole slavery angle is downplayed in favor of maudlin military sentimentality about sacrifice.

Slave is the wrong word, the Spartan IIs were kidnapped and convinced they had to do it for the good of humanity and they believed in what they were doing...

Slave is the right word. They were taken away from their birthright and forced to act in a certain way to benefit others, not possibly sharing in this benefit. Any resistance was crushed.

Let me compare to American slaves. They were often told that to work to make white men rich(er) for nothing in return but basic sustenance was God's plan for them and that accepting this and being the best slave they could be was the route to heaven. Any resistance was crushed.

EDIT: And actually, I think someone in Marathon may have explicitly said "a hero is a slave".

And then there's the fact that Master Chief goes into cold sleep after winning the war in Halo 3 (or so I'm told)? When the fighting's over, he doesn't stick around to rebuild or live a life, he blacks out until there's more killing to be done, if ever.

This whole thing raises interesting questions of free will and heroism, and I wish the games hacked at that idea more.

Oh no Mr. Artist I will not judge that part of your work despite the fact you worked just as long on it if not longer on it and it is part of the final product.

Multiplayer is still part of the game, without multiplayer most games would be traded in because after the single player there is not that much to do and playing the campaign over and over again gets tedious.

As for story yes the story is bland as thousands of other games and forms of media including Mass Effect, Final Fantasy etc...but it is not the story that really matters it is how the story is told, the way the tale of Bob finding his spoon is told is what decides whether it is interesting or not. So I find no problems in Halo's story it is something to give you an excuse to kill aliens I find the problem with the narrative which clearly wasn't given enough attention.

Still find it fun though.

solidstatemind:
Too bad that Yahtzee will never delve into these comments deep enough to actually engage in a reasonable discourse. But all the same, I must thank him for validating my commentary about how he approaches his reviews from an already biased (pro- or con-) position.

Yahtzee (and yes, I would say this to your face): You are a HELL of an entertainer... but a piss-poor 'critic'.

Lol. This. Unequivocally and pretty much indisputably.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here