Review: Medal of Honor

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: Medal of Honor

The f@#%ing Taliban just shot me. F@#%!

Read Full Article

Interesting review. I already have COD 2 so I wasn't planning on getting this ( I don't even plan on getting black ops either), so I figured there would be very little difference. I also totally agree with you about the Taliban controversy.

I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.

As Shakespeare would say, a rose by any other name... Though, in all honesty, you said it much better, a Taliban by any other f@#%ing name is still a f@#%ing Taliban...

More on topic though, kinda disappointed from what I've seen of this game myself, it looks to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to try and beat the CoD series by copying the CoD series. Who in their right mind thought that would work, exactly?

From what I'm seeing in the video review, the game looks very bland(and I hate using that term) and the action is not all that great. (that was one ugly looking knife kill)

And the game is scripted and short? Yeah, sadly I'm skipping this one. Multiplayer sounds great though.

I just loved his voice tone when he said "those fuckin' guys are Talibans" :D
Awesome review.

"Stream not found" Daym...

Video no worky. For me.

Anyway, I might get this, since I'm not buying any Activision games anymore. Used or new. Looks solid enough, and comes with Frontline on PS3, iirc.

Hmm, originally I was excited about it, especially after MoH Airborne which was awesome. However ... gotta agree, it seems to try and copy CoD a bit too hard, or something. It doesn't feel right.

Is it just me, or does this feel like Bad Company 2... minus destructible enviroments? This seems like the kind of game you would buy if you couldn't afford MW2 or BC2, except that IT JUST CAME OUT so it's still sixty bucks.

No thank you good sir, I have better ways of spending my money.

Onyx Oblivion:
Video no worky. For me.

Anyway, I might get this, since I'm not buying any Activision games anymore. Used or new. Looks solid enough, and comes with Frontline on PS3, iirc.

Ahhhh a fellow man with a stance, im also off Blizard products but mainly becuase im a million miles past WoW at this point and Starcraft is well... Starcraft 2. I do like RTS but Starcraft is the embodiment of everything that can be wrong with it.

Scrumpmonkey:

Onyx Oblivion:
Video no worky. For me.

CTRL + F5 a few times. If it still doesn't play, restart your browser.

CaptainCrunch:

Scrumpmonkey:

Onyx Oblivion:
Video no worky. For me.

CTRL + F5 a few times. If it still doesn't play, restart your browser.

What do you think i've been doing for the past 10 minutes? Should i try bashing my case and shouting loudly next?

While I agree with the review in general, I would go so far as to point out that MoH doesn't just fail to do things better than it's competition, it generally fails to do them as well.

Playing through the game, it has so far done nothing that another contemporary shooter (be that Call of Duty, or heck, even Halo: Reach) hasn't already done better. It's not just a CoD clone, it's an inferior CoD clone. And I think that's worth note.

-m

Scrumpmonkey:

What do you think i've been doing for the past 10 minutes? Should i try bashing my case and shouting loudly next?

Do things that refresh Flash Player's cache. It may take a full restart, or a matter of waiting until Flash decides the file exists.

Also, error codes are helpful. (You can PM these)

i have a strongly held opinion on the taliban issue (that EA are moeny grabbing attention seeking scum desperatly trying for a "scandal" to match MW2s airport scene and don't care how many bereaved families are hurt by it) but i respect the way it was handled in this review.

other than that it was a good review, if i buy this game it will be second hand (so no money goes to EA) but i have yet to hear a positive review about this game so far.

CaptainCrunch:

Scrumpmonkey:

Do things that refresh Flash Player's cache. It may take a full restart, or a matter of waiting until Flash decides the file exists.

Also, error codes are helpful. (You can PM these)

C-Cleaner should proabaly do the trick.

EDIT; Nope still nothing. Not exactly urgent though, i guess i'll try again tommorow or something.

I agree with the single player portion of your review but have to disagree with the multiplayer being well designed

You mentioned the long corridors for snipers - problem is these corridors normally take up only 1 of at most 3 ways to get to an area making the attackers role run into sniper fire and die repeatedly.

Due to badly designed maps, poorly thought out game modes and a lot of other issues I had, I found the multiplayer distinctly not fun and would not recommend it to anyone

Looks... decent.

Might be a good one to get away from the "almighty CoD!"

Matt_LRR:
While I agree with the review in general, I would go so far as to point out that MoH doesn't just fail to do things better than it's competition, it generally fails to do them as well.

My first draft was originally much heavier on the direct comparisons to COD but I just couldn't get the format right. It wound up being distracting so I challenged myself on the rewrite to minimize the references to COD.

Steve Butts:

Matt_LRR:

My first draft was originally much heavier on the direct comparisons to COD but I just couldn't get the format right. It wound up being distracting so I challenged myself on the rewrite to minimize the references to COD.

Fair 'nuff.

-m

I have it. I like the multiplayer. Campaign is acceptable but no near amazing. PS3 version of the Tier 1 mode comes with Medal of Honor Frontline in HD don't you know?

It has however just wet my appitite for Black Ops, which I'm looking forward to. Need to shoot some explosive crossbows at 'nam zombies.

Steve Butts:

Matt_LRR:

A hard thing to do these days, especially with this type of shooter. I thank you for the effort, really let me judge the game as it was. Even if my own conclusion was CoD clone, it was mine. ^_^

it's littered with unrealism, texture overcompression, cheap shadows and wrong lighting, glitches and sometimes external models of guns missing a part of their textures or there is an extra silencer, but what really turned me off was the aiming device with 3 fire modes, the situation was so chaotical and underexplained I stopped playing it and loaded Road Of The Dead on newgrounds, not regretting at all. Hope this type of shooter dies fast, but please rush with the termination of Dead Space franchise!

Steve Butts:

Matt_LRR:

Well the comparisons are really unavoidable, especially when the game seems to have been designed from day day one with the idea of chashing in on the CoD cycle market. I don't really get where Medal of Honor 'fits'. Are EA really going to try and bring out a 'realistic' first-person shooter every year? How many do they think the market will suppot? I mean we already have Bad Comapny 2 which reall covers much of the same ground especially online. (Bad Company is also argumably a better game than COD, well on the PC at least.)

Personally im dissapointed in EA for taking such a "Copy EXACTLY the money printing machine now!!!" approuch to making games, they have really concided that Activision is the market leader and they should follow. Was EA really expecting to ride the black ops train all the way to moneyville? Are they planning a kind of yearly release of the same game like Call of Duty so blatantly does.

There is also the side point that "realistic first person shooter" is kind of a laughable title for these types of games, in a universe where something like ARMA II exists it's a bit of a pretencious label. Like calling grape juice a fine vintage wine. Sure it's grapes but there is so much more to it.

The last "modern infanterist fps" I played was CoD:MW1. And frankly, I get the feeling that both MW2 and MoH mostly look and feel like the one that made them big. How accurate is my assumption?

Wonder where those franchises will go once the modern setting sells as badly as WW2 used to at some point. Rivaling Crysis kind of shooters? Would love to see some sort of "Call of Duty: Plausible Nifty Military Gadget Warfare of Tomorrow". :P

I'd like to get this however my incredibly hectic and expensive lifestyle has resumed vacuuming out my bank account upwards of 50 a month.

So I'm limited to roughly one new title a month... I didn't buy one last month (thank you Capcom competitions) and currently I have a copy of Fallout New Vegas and Fable 3 sitting in some dark room with my name on it waiting to be picked up.

Maybe next month... however Ultramarines does come out then... plus I do want to see Sum 41... so maybe next year.

Headwouend:
The last "modern infanterist fps" I played was CoD:MW1. And frankly, I get the feeling that both MW2 and MoH mostly look and feel like the one that made them big. How accurate is my assumption?

Wonder where those franchises will go once the modern setting sells as badly as WW2 used to at some point. Rivaling Crysis kind of shooters? Would love to see some sort of "Call of Duty: Plausible Nifty Military Gadget Warfare of Tomorrow". :P

Actually, MF2 was crap, a large stack of crap and white wash. Well, unless you like hackers and griefing. I'd rather play MW1 any day of the week.

I heard this was shit off IGN which means it's REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY shit. So naw. I'll pass on it.

Looks like CoD, but with the over-the-top fun removed.

And what with the controversy and Blops coming up, this is going to get arse-raped.

Great review, I feel about the same way. Loved the closing line :)

looks like bad company 2. i'll buy it.

the reviewer didn't do a very enthusiastic job explaining that this game was in most ways much more realisitic to how events are overseas for special operations, which was the mainstay point of the development of the game. It seems as though Steven was very biased. I did pick it up at launch, and i will say there are some drawbacks that took me out of complete immersion at times, but it was an overall great effort. The multiplayer isn't as good as MW's but the singleplayer is definately a winner. Remember to SLIDE!

I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but the whole name change (from Taliban to Opposing Forces) actually makes the game more realistic. My brother-in-law, an Afghan War marine vet, says that they always called the guys they were fighting "Opposing Forces" because, and this is clearly reflected in the game, the Taliban itself is only one component of the confederated groups that are all having a being-bad-guys field day in Afghanistan at the moment.

The remnants of the Taliban are fighting against us, NATO and the Afghan Army with Al-Qaeda flunkies from a dozen countries, Chechen separatists / Islamists, Iranian "military advisers," local Afghani warlords who oppose the Taliban, the new Afghani government, and any other powers attempting to reduce their local control, and a whole host of other guys of various native and non-native ethnicities and sects trying to take advantage of a disrupted situation to further personal / ideological / political goals. Some of the same groups are also fighting in Iraq where they ally themselves with local anti-government / anti-American forces.

So by changing the name, EA is actually making the game more realistic. Am I the only one who's noted this?

Another three-hour shooter set in the modern day.

*yawn*

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)