Review: Medal of Honor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm planning on getting it if I can. Good review as usual guys.

Nice review - you actually talked about the game and it's mechanics which is pretty much unheard of nowadays in a review. Usually it's just "OMFG ITS SOOO GOOD, LIKE WOOOW!".
My only complaint is that there is a major difference in multiplayer - it's balanced. CoDMW2 is hideously unbalanced with awful map design. That is a major difference.

Also: is it just me, or do any of the platforms offer the level of visual quality shown in footage like the Limited Edition trailer, or the video of the HUD-less Apache gunfighter level? Unless there's an aspect I've missed, EA promoted a gorgeous-looking game and sold us a decent-looking one.

you forgot to mention that the game comes in a box and that you use a controller

how about some emotion?

Wolfinton:
Hmmm, this game seems to be getting average reviews at most places.

Well, at least this didn't just give it an average review because it 'copied' off CoD. You cannot copy of a game that has copied off a game that has copied off a game. Off a game. And another.

It can really annoy me when CoD can do the same thing year in, year out and get amazingly high review scores, yet when anything else does it it is bad and a downright copy and gets low reviews for it? That just isn't right.

Now on topic, like I said at the start, seems like this is getting average reviews everywhere.

Depends if it's a bad copy or not :)

Not counting MW2 (which I haven't played yet), I found Infinity Ward's offerings to be better than Treyarch's. Infinity Ward seems to know how to put you in a set-piece with minimal exposition and make it work by giving you clear objectives in game, while Treyarch seems to make the mistake of trying to make you give a shit about the characters (how I hated those unskippable cut-scenes in CoD 3... I don't care about the French woman's boyfriend, I want to shoot shit). Watching some of the clips from Black Ops and I've already made the decision to wait until the price drops.

Reading through some of the Medal Of Honor reviews, it sounds like they're obviously aping Modern Warfare, but are really inconsistent with connecting you with the set pieces. When it works, it's awesome, but quite often you're wandering around looking for the magic spot that triggers the next event. In other words, a bad copy of what made Call Of Duty 4 such a beloved game.

This just seem like MW, only worse.

I can play CoD4, instead of this.

Just finished it in 3,5 hours. Not worth my money.

So, if the Taliban is now called Opposing Forces, are the Americans called Oppressors or Occupiers?

Misterkillsall:
Is it just me, or does this feel like Bad Company 2?

Yeah. The guns have the beefed up noise which Bad Company 2 have, which COD doesn't. Remember MOH was partly done by DICE. Also the graphics had quite a lot of similarity to Bad company 2. I think it has something to do with most of MOH being run on DICE stuff. Stuff which was used to run Bad Company 2.

It's just Bad Company 2 didn't have all the really annoying scripted sequences which MOH has.

Jester00:
looks like bad company 2. i'll buy it.

No, no, no, no, no. It's nothing like BC2. Seriously, I figured that this might be more like BC2 but with a serious twist, but no, not even close. I'm shocked that even with DICE working on it, it is so dumbed down. It's a much worse MW2 and not worth the money. Please heed my words and don't buy.

Although the rest of the review was nice, consice and informative, I'm calling BS on the fact that EA changed the Taliban's label at the last minute just for profit reasons.

If they truely wanted to cater to the partisan-fueled boycotting, they would've made the changes a while before they actually did, and they would've made much more extensive changes than just a simple label change. Don't you think EA would've made more changes to cater to loud-mouthed politicians?

Seriously, the reviewer even said "They're FUCKING Taliban" but still called EA sellouts. Whatever.

Otherwise, I look forward to playing this game. CoD has all the same flaws that the reviewer mentioned and I liked its Single Player.

dragonburner:

Painful illusion:
I see medal of Honor as the underdog against COD. I really wanted this game to be better than Black ops..."sigh".. maybe in a few years. I can only hope they do better.

All the trailers and interviews really really made me want this game to be amazing. I hope it might be worth buying used in 6 months, but I don't know. Hopefully Danger Close gets a sequel.

Yes, I wish the same also.

Misterkillsall:
Is it just me, or does this feel like Bad Company 2... minus destructible enviroments? This seems like the kind of game you would buy if you couldn't afford MW2 or BC2, except that IT JUST CAME OUT so it's still sixty bucks.

No thank you good sir, I have better ways of spending my money.

Well, it IS made by Dice After all...

I'll prolly buy it for the multiplayer, I really enjoyed the beta.

I really enjoyed the game. Not really sure what was "heavily scripted" in campaign. CoD is heavily scripted, and Black Ops looks like you're an actor in a movie. If they stick with this style for the next one, it will be much better. Multiplayer needs work though. Snipers are set up so they literally offer no disadvantage. The "battle rifles" take 2 body shots for a kill, so people just spam them. Plus they can hide behind rocks and show 2 pixels of a shoulder and kill you. Also, they can be used in CQC quite effectivly, sadly. The other classes and weapons seem balanced though. So once these issues are fixed, and hopefully more guns, maps, and a higher level cap, the MP will be more fun. I'm not going back to CoD.

Why are all the reviewers so nice with this game? Had this not been a shooter, everyone would have raped it a new one.

mezmerizer02:
the reviewer didn't do a very enthusiastic job explaining that this game was in most ways much more realisitic to how events are overseas for special operations, which was the mainstay point of the development of the game. It seems as though Steven was very biased. I did pick it up at launch, and i will say there are some drawbacks that took me out of complete immersion at times, but it was an overall great effort. The multiplayer isn't as good as MW's but the singleplayer is definately a winner. Remember to SLIDE!

It's not a critic's job to enthusiastically point out a game's selling point. That's a marketer's job. The fact that he didn't do this shows his lack of bias.

If the single player really only lasts 6 hours, it may be a winner for some, but it certainly won't be getting my $60. Maybe I'll wait until it inevitably drops to $30... I'll probably only have to wait for a month or so, judging from what people are saying.

RUINER ACTUAL:
I really enjoyed the game. Not really sure what was "heavily scripted" in campaign. CoD is heavily scripted, and Black Ops looks like you're an actor in a movie. If they stick with this style for the next one, it will be much better. Multiplayer needs work though. Snipers are set up so they literally offer no disadvantage. The "battle rifles" take 2 body shots for a kill, so people just spam them. Plus they can hide behind rocks and show 2 pixels of a shoulder and kill you. Also, they can be used in CQC quite effectivly, sadly. The other classes and weapons seem balanced though. So once these issues are fixed, and hopefully more guns, maps, and a higher level cap, the MP will be more fun. I'm not going back to CoD.

He explains what he means by heavily scripted in the written review. Same # of enemies always spawn in the same place, activated by the same triggers, and exhibit the same behavior (even down to seeking the same cover). Reading is FUNdamental.

Aww that's it? I know someone that would like it, but I think I'm going to pass.

PhiMed:

RUINER ACTUAL:

He explains what he means by heavily scripted in the written review. Same # of enemies always spawn in the same place, activated by the same triggers, and exhibit the same behavior (even down to seeking the same cover). Reading is FUNdamental.

I know. I read the review. I'm not sure how this is a relavent thing to say when things in games are always heavily scripted. Look at Halo, or any CoD. Many, many scripted events.

i give the game one good thing. The guns have so much more weight to them than any other Shooters i've played. Plus the thud u get from getting hit is also fantastic! Its too bad its not worth $60

maybe ill pick it up when its $29.95 on Steam.

Hm...killing sentries stealthily in the snow? Shooting targets from an apache? Helicopter crashes? Short play time? Modern Era? Rebellious superiors? Ass-hat even more superiors? I'll confess I haven't played MOH, but I did play MW2, and it's sounding kinda similar...just set in Afghanistan?

Steve Butts:
Review: Medal of Honor

The f@#%ing Taliban just shot me. F@#%!

Read Full Article

Cool review but the narrator for the video didn't sound very emotional and it sounded like he didn't even play video games and just read off a script...

Mromson:
Why are all the reviewers so nice with this game? Had this not been a shooter, everyone would have raped it a new one.

Why? It doesn't do anything exceptionally wrong, its better balanced then Cod. The SP is just as long as the last CoD game, and the heavily scripted thing is BS, nobody complained about MW2 being heavily scripted, admittedly, some of the events in MW2 where better written, but over all there wasn't that much of a difference.

Sounds like everything that is wrong in the current gaming world. Not exactly bad, but decidedly forgettable, uninspired and more of the same. pass...

I like most of the reviews that the Escapist does but they are mostly reviewed on consoles (Xbox 360 especialy) and not on PC I find this very odd when it comes to FPS games.
Why is this? (Does it just happen to be the version that they get sent or something?)

Never really enjoyed shooters, doubt this will change significantly with this one.

I bought the game and i genuinely like it. Haven't finished it yet, but it is definitely worth trying out.

TheComedown:

Mromson:

Why? It doesn't do anything exceptionally wrong, its better balanced then Cod. The SP is just as long as the last CoD game, and the heavily scripted thing is BS, nobody complained about MW2 being heavily scripted, admittedly, some of the events in MW2 where better written, but over all there wasn't that much of a difference.

I didn't like MW2 either, but that's beyond the point. This is a complete clone of FPSes that have come before it. You shouldn't even get a mediocre score for simply copying some shit others have already done, which is pretty much what MoH did. The SP is shit and done way better by other FPS developers, while the MP is also shit compared to other FPSes, not to mention BFBC2. Beyond the small praise over "the MP is a little bit more balanced", I see nothing worth even looking twice at - it's a tackles game that should have been ripped to shreds by reviewers.

Mromson:
You shouldn't even get a mediocre score for simply copying some shit others have already done, which is pretty much what MoH did.

It's also what most of the other big name FPSs have been doing for years, I don't see your point. All the other big name FPSs simply copy the same shit over and over making usually only small tweaks between versions. And so because this game follows the formula that most of the others do, it has to be labeled as shit? For following a formula thats worked for years?

"It's brown, and everyone says f**k a lot."

About sums up every war shooter of the past ten years.

TheComedown:

Mromson:
You shouldn't even get a mediocre score for simply copying some shit others have already done, which is pretty much what MoH did.

It's also what most of the other big name FPSs have been doing for years, I don't see your point. All the other big name FPSs simply copy the same shit over and over making usually only small tweaks between versions. And so because this game follows the formula that most of the others do, it has to be labeled as shit? For following a formula thats worked for years?

What other reviews said about the same amount of innovation in the past is insignificant, not that this game has any. Do you think reviewers should ignore the fact that this game is stale on pretty much every level just because they've done the same to other games in the past?

Mromson:

TheComedown:

Mromson:

What other reviews said about the same amount of innovation in the past is insignificant, not that this game has any. Do you think reviewers should ignore the fact that this game is stale on pretty much every level just because they've done the same to other games in the past?

How so? Why should their standards change for this one game? Yeah I found the SP to be a little "meh" and samey, but I am thoroughly enjoying the MP, much more then I have MW2. They followed the formula, put their twist on it, and some people liked it, whats the big deal? It's like your hurt or something because the game didn't get slammed in reviews, there was no real reason for it to get slammed. Objectively its a good game, its just nothing ground breaking.

another multiplayer game with a single player compaign tacked onto it, yawn.Just keep it what it's made for, multiplayer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here