Unskippable: Let's Play: Legaia 2: Part 5

Legaia 2: Part 5

Graham and Paul finally let a game stand on more than its intro. It crumples almost immediately. Enjoy this replay of the live feed and share in their pain.

Watch Video

Thanks for the latest video.

Guess it's to late to mention but, some "Arts" cost AP while while others recharge it but good video.

From what I remember the crystal doesn't get stolen for the first 30 min to an hour or so (depending on whether you grind your character levels or not), but I think you're almost there.

Btw, what are you using to capture the audio and video? I've been looking for a new device and software since my Dazzle doesn't work with Win 7.

Lucane:
Guess it's to late to mention but, some "Arts" cost AP while while others recharge it but good video.

They do figure it out in the end.

I swear i've seen this before. I got a major deja vu when i saw this.

note: ff1 came out December 18, 1987,
so JRPG started mashing health bars BEFORE 1990!!! o.0

FrossetMareritt:
Btw, what are you using to capture the audio and video? I've been looking for a new device and software since my Dazzle doesn't work with Win 7.

I don't know what LRR uses, particularly since this was streamed live when it was originally recorded, but we've recently started using a Hauppauge HD PVR to record review footage in the office. We have the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 connected to it using a component switch, then out to the TV.

You do need to have a computer connected to it to actually record the footage on, unfortunately, but it appears to have been working well. It's also limited to 1080i, but that's more than enough for even our HQ videos.

"The flag of Retreat... probably the French Flag"

Lovely xD

I just want to point out 2 things.

1)
That is the (when you had a king) standard of the French Monarchy. Background, white.

2)
This is the flag the army carried. Again white.

Don't worry, So long as you get the era correct(The time before the people grew backbones in 1789), insult the French ;)

Jim Grim:

Lucane:

They do figure it out in the end.

They figure out that AP is related to arts, but they never have the main character use AP-gaining arts, which I found silly because the combat system made sense to me.

Sigh. Legend of Legaia (aka the first one which has NO REFERENCE TO THE SECOND EXCEPT THE ARTS SYSTEM) Was an amazing game. I remember getting Legaia two and being so disappointed. Granted I got it for 10 bucks, but still!

It's torture to watch let's plays in such small and separated segments like this.

Yeah, it is. Probably why I prefer Spoiler Warning's 30-45 minute format over this 10 minute things...

Deploy the Flag of Retreat!

Why has nobody pointed out that Galvan seems to celebrate victory by scratching his arse?

Comando96:

Lovely xD

1)
That is the (when you had a king) standard of the French Monarchy. Background, white.

2)

Don't worry, So long as you get the era correct(The time before the people grew backbones in 1789), insult the French ;)

Pffff, you're ignorance is as volatile as the air passing between your ears...
learn your history before insulting a nation's emblem

you troll !

coming back to the Let's play: "A tool" is a name ?

Lucane:

Rofl I watched it live and like 90% of the chat was yelling that and so was half the forum but they were so behind in the forum and kinda ignoring the chat, they didn't figure it out for quite some time. It was pretty funny

This part of the video makes me cringe. You use regular Arts to build AP, and the use of Super Arts (denoted by the Yellow S on the drop down menu) depletes gained AP. I played this game a long time ago. It was meh, but its predecessor, Legend of Legaia, is quite possibly one of my favorite RPGs from the PSX era

*This.* This right here is why I've always hated JRPGs. In a tabletop RPG, doing combat in turns and rounds is a necessary evil; in a video game medium you can make things happen in real time. Watching each individual character and monster step forward one at a time to hit one other character or monster, each taking their turn as though savage honor duels were being choreographed by a kindergarten teacher... It makes my teeth grate. I can endure lengthy cutscenes, I can live with silly character designs, but fighting should be *exciting*. Even games specifically meant to emulate tabletop RPGs, like Baldur's Gate, made turn-based combat exciting. Aargh.

(...uhhh...apologies to all you folks who like JRPGs. This so precisely illustrated what I don't like that I decided to take the opportunity to vent. But different strokes for different folks and all that.)

Having said that, this particular JRPG looks truly awful: boring character designs, trite dialog, and every encounter looks like it would elicit a sigh of boredom and irritation.

But you guys, as always, make it bearable, and for that I thank you.

DEEP HURTING! DEEEEEEP HURTING!

On a slightly unrelated note: nice to hear a callout for Hard Hat Mack on the Apple ][, also one of my earliest favorite games. That and Wavy Navy and Wizardry.

ahaha guys! Do Blue moon buster to GAIN AP (16 each time you use it, up to a max of 100, and it carries over battle to battle) and then Sandstorm (which does more damage) when you can LOSE AP. It's sort of like reusable MP.

Also, I love this damn game so much <3 Maxed out my characters and everything. Still, this game is long as FUCK for something like an unskippable. They're going to need like 80 episodes. Seriously.

Polock:
Sigh. Legend of Legaia (aka the first one which has NO REFERENCE TO THE SECOND EXCEPT THE ARTS SYSTEM) Was an amazing game. I remember getting Legaia two and being so disappointed. Granted I got it for 10 bucks, but still!

really? I felt the other way around about it. i didnt' like the first one as much as I did the second. It was really awkward to have each character have a different length of attack bar, and each verious attack took up a certain amount of space. And no more using the ra-seru to absorb an enemy to use its magic power. that got irritating to figure out which creatures was worth it constatly attacking left left left left left left left.... and HOPING that the poor sucker would be absorbed. if not, it felt like the game was telling me "HA HA! TRY AGAIN LOSER".

Thank god for gameshark back then.

Polock:

i honestly loved the first game with a passion. it's a pity how different they made it for the sequel.

I'm really enjoying this Let's Play. I hope we get many many more parts and you don't get too sick of the game to continue.

I am hoping for a nameable female character.

And the ugly graphics and shallow character's madness continues!

I'll try naming my next JRPG character "a slut".

I can not get over the ridiculous facial expressions in this game.

I don't think "a slut" fits the first female character they meet. I wonder if they retract that idea once the naming screen goes up.

Ok... So they said they'd play about two hours. After five episodes we should be about half-done... This series is going to drag out for another month or two? Ouch.

As much as I like watching this I'm probably just gonna wait for a month or two or so until they've put everything up there. Watching this in ten-minute chunks really ruins it for me.

Seeing this brings back memories. Good ol' Legend of Legaia. I had forgotten that they had made a sequel.

I like watching these. I never watch other people play single player games. Maybe I'll start.

Okay guys, I made an account specifically for this comment.

I played this game when I was a kid, and there are a few things about the battle system I feel a compelling need to tell you. First, every battle is like watching a cutscene you've seen about 80 times, so things get very repetitive. It can make this game is a very bad idea for a let's play. Also, it's an extremely long game. You won't get the slut until about episode 200 at about this rate. Not exaggerating.

Second, HERE IS HOW ARTS WORK.

-In the arts list you found, you can choose from arts you've already found. If you want more arts, you need to GUESS them to find them. Most arts GIVE you AP when you use them. Some arts COST you AP. At this point in the game, Lang has no AP, and the only way for him to get it is if he uses Blue Moon Buster. Sandstorm is more powerful, but costs AP. For some reason, Galvin can't use sandstorm.

-As you level up, you get more art slots, allowing for more complex arts, eventually letting you use multiple arts in one attack. Again, the only way to find arts is to explore and use random combinations.

tl;dr: HAVE YOUR CAMERAMAN GO ONTO GAMEFAQS AND GET THE ART LIST <3

Comando96:

Lovely xD

1)

2)

Damnit!! You beat me to it!! XD I was ninja'd with etiquette

Crystalgate:
I don't think "a slut" fits the first female character they meet. I wonder if they retract that idea once the naming screen goes up.

HAHAHAHA. You're so correct. Still, the disjoint could be deeply amusing.

Also, it was monday YESTERDAY. Where are the next five!?

I find it odd that when it comes to voice work we get little blurbs of ..erm rather american sounding guys in a JRPG. But for most of the time you get texts box! I mean really was that little extra voice at the end of the fight needed? I know others did but..and why american? It is a JRPG right? Geesh!

Yup one of those games! Nice to watch probably not as nice to play..

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here