Review: Fallout: New Vegas

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Review: Fallout: New Vegas

A funnier, more colorful, more hardcore Fallout awaits you in the Mojave Wasteland.

Read Full Article

Awesome review! New vegas comes out in 2 days for me, can't wait. I loved fallout 3, and it looks like I will love new Vegas also

Thanks for the perspective Russ. I hate to say it but I was pretty much expecting the engine bugs; It's more or less become Obsidian's MO at this point.

Man with the hat is an obvious nod to that Indiana Jones rip-off film that came out a couple of years ago... can't remember what it was called though, utterly forgettable. So the comparison of leaving it to die in a fridge in the desert is apt!

As for the game, it sounds like finally a Fallout game I can enjoy. I can't describe the ways I hated Oblivion in Brown (or Fallout 3 for the rest of the world). Good thing that the development of this was given to folks that had been at Black Isle in the good old times.

Also: Hardcore Mode will totally consume my attention for days.

:edited to say: Fallout 3? Depressing? Gloomy? Huh, must have played a completely different game. I mean, it wasn't funny, at least not intentionally, but it certainly wasn't gloomy thanks to the hammy acting, poor script and laughable attempts at dark and mature subjects within the game.

I was hoping the first reveiw I read would be on the Escapist. And I'm glad to see those charming "encounters" are still plentiful - it's what gives a game character, as well as humour.

Bugs were expected...Back to the wastelands.

Sounds pretty much like what I expected and hoped for, sans the persistent bugs and instability. It'll be out in 3 days in the EU, and then it's time to invest plenty of hours in the wastes once more. If it's not worse off technically than the PS3 version of the last instalment, then It'll be five kinds of awesome all over again.

All the reviews are coming so fast now haha!

From the looks of it this game will end in the 80s range. The overall game will be better once it's patched, but it still comes down to how much you care about "more of the same". I want just that and then some so I'm looking forward to this in a big way (UK release this Friday).

One thing I noticed in the video is that the animations for both your character and NPCs have improved greatly!

Excellent review, shame I can't get my copy until Thursday, but I do have a question.

I've heard a lot about the "Wild Wasteland" perk, but I'm a little confused as to what it actually does. So far, the only explanation I've got it that it makes things more zany, whatever the hell that means. Does it make everything more colourful? Throw in a few extra punchlines here and there? Activate bighead mode, or what?

I do want! Good waste of several hours =]

Arrrrrrr.... can't wait til Thursday! I've loved every game I've played in the series thus far (I'm yet to play Fallout: Tactics) and this looks to be more of the good stuff =D

Shame about the engine bugs though.... They really should've fixed them by now. Here's hoping it gets patched asap. But I don't have high hopes for that unfortunately

How long until this review goes up on the main page? I only knew about through a Google News update regarding New Vegas reviews and there are very few comments for such an anticipated game.

Andronicus:
Excellent review, shame I can't get my copy until Thursday, but I do have a question.

I've heard a lot about the "Wild Wasteland" perk, but I'm a little confused as to what it actually does. So far, the only explanation I've got it that it makes things more zany, whatever the hell that means. Does it make everything more colourful? Throw in a few extra punchlines here and there? Activate bighead mode, or what?

More random encounters I think... I mean RANDOM.

Stabby Joe:
How long until this review goes up on the main page? I only knew about through a Google News update regarding New Vegas reviews and there are very few comments for such an anticipated game.

Andronicus:

Well that doesn't sound very zany.

Andronicus:

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

Not really in the sense of "man says hi", more like "clown tries to mug you".

Andronicus:

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

The perk switches the games from mild amount of pop references to suit fallout 3 players or full on random humour all over the shop to suit fallout 2 players

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

Does said clown happen to be wearing a hat made of beavers?

This has more humor than Fallout 3? That's exactly what I wanted in Fallout 3! Hot damn, I'm out to go buy this game.

Andronicus, one of the developers said that the Wild Wasteland Perk just added more references to pop culture and throwbacks to previous Fallout games, but they gave the player the option to disable them because some people complained it took them out of the atmosphere of the Fallout universe.

Edit: Damn it, ninja'd.

I wondered about the four stars. But then I read the "after text" and then I completely agreed. For gods sake, Fix The Bugs! Please!! I'm definitely getting this. Too bad it's not coming to Sweden 'til friday. :(

I would love to get my hands on New Vegas. This review seals the deal... after I afford a copy of Civ V, I'll be looking into this one.

Andronicus:

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

Stabby Joe:

Andronicus:

Does said clown happen to be wearing a hat made of beavers?

I don't know at all. In fact I don't know if there is a clown, that was just a random example I could picture after hearing some more details about the perk.

Ok the Indiana Jones and Crystal Skull reference has sold it to me. For anyone who doesn't know Indy survived an Atomic blast by hiding in a 1950's fridge. And everyone from fans to realism critics threw a hissy fit. Very nice subtle joke and they are always the best

Great review Russ, I know exactly where I am now in terms of buying this game which is exactly where I want to be after reading a review.

Ill be happily picking this up in the coming weeks(hopefully when a few of the more serious bugs are found and fixed) as soon as I get the money and finally finish Dragon Age(50 hours in, I gotta be near the end right?)

"Skeleton of a man in a refrigerator with a hat."

Indiana Jones?!

OT: Good review. And I knew there would be bugs. I've been saying that for ages!

Ah well, it seems the story is better then Fallout 3's, which isn't quite surprising since Obsidian is good at making great stories(with crappy endings).

Andronicus:

You know as much as I do. Without having played the game twice (once with this perk, once without) I don't have a means to compare.

hmmmm. I'm kinda on the fence about this one now.

While I was all excited for the new humour and atmos in this one. The thing about the bugs has me doubtful about whether it's worth the price tag. All of those problems were what killed Fallout 3's enjoyment for me so much so towards the end. Especially considering it had been out a while and no patch.

Hopefully it'll be patched quickly, else I'll just pick it up for a tenner pre-owned in a years time.

I wanted to play fallout three but it seemed to take itself FAR too seriously and I never really got around to getting it. I had other games I wanted to play. Now it looks as if I might play this before I play it's predecessor!

4 stars for Fallout!?

So I'm officially running downto the game store on my first break to nab this.... if the lines arn't too long...

As expected, glitches. And not just visual and random encounter ones, but quest breaking ones.

So, as previously believed, I must buy this...after the first few patches and maybe a price cut. I can deal with Civ V for now.

I am decrypting it now. The review just made waiting harder!

"It's disappointing to see such an otherwise brilliant and polished game suffer from years-old bugs, and unfortunately our review score for the game has to reflect that."

Because when Fallout 3 launched and had the same game-breaking bugs, you really couldn't be bothered with that kind of petty thing, I guess. Good job finding your principles in a bag somewhere, though. Well done. Stars in the margins. *thumbs*

The only saving grace I might see is the Obsidian writing staff. I'd say that's the one aspect that Obsidian excels in (I'd also say they have better writers then Bioware), something that is lacking in most Bethesda games.

I preordered but can't get it until Thursday. Can't fucking wait.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here