276: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Four

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Four

Ben ends his glorious stint at GameStop by getting small children in trouble.

Read Full Article

Very good story I must say, perhaps the gamestop voices carries over into the way you write or simply the story itself (because honestly, im sure we've all seen those kids who think they can get away with stuff like that and reading about their just deserts is priceless) but it was definitely worth a read.

Wait, Hey You Pikachu got released outside of Japan?

What a wonderful story

Mabye one day I'll have a GameStop voice

I absolutely loved this whole series. An excellent read.

Digital distribution won't happen until copyright laws see reform, which if the game industry sees it's way through, won't be for until the end of time.
OT: I don't think I could stand running gamestop during the holidays, I have a temper and would come unglued pretty quick.

Maybe Ben is a bit over-excited about his "authorithy" voice,if anything it sounds to me more like the calmness one learns to develop after being subject for a time to the stress that naturally accompanies the daily rutines of jobs such as retail.

As for digital distribution and physical purchasing,well,someone who wrote a book where John dies at the end not too long ago did say FARTS about it...

Damn near pissed myself reading this, truely funny...

No i disagree thats not the stupidest criminal i have a topper from Kmart just 3 weeks ago
Older man walks in grabs a Printer (89.99) goes up front and tries to return it. Since he had no receipt he could not return it, so his bright idea walk out of the store with it only to be caught be the store security guard since the electronics department head watched him do all this and radioed the security guard when he tried to return it.
whats really funny is he had already tried this and failed at another Kmart only to fail (we later found out via the police), so apparently he is not only stupid but insane

Gamestop isn't going to go out of business. Ever. They'll just change forms. They too will adopt the digital distribution business format, and stay in the game.

A good read, and it's nice to know some people are reasonable. Still, it seems like this one could have been squeezed into the last one or something. I mean, just two pages?
All in all though, this "saga" has been very interesting. Good work.

Meanwhile: "Today I just tried to steal store credit from a local retail, was tricked into giving my home phone number, and am on my way home to my abusive father. FML"

What kids don't realize is that even though they have the Yellow sticker for the used games price, it's the actual official bar code on the box (the one used to scan it in the original sale) that is scanned to put it in the computer. You can MAKE it look like it's used, but the computer will pop up and say "Purchase" instead of "Trade-In"

Good series, I think I might actually miss it during next week's Issue. This one was maybe a tad short, but I've dealt with people like this before. I worked at a gas station and you have to authorize people to use the pumps. Once they get the gas, they simply drive off. What they don't realize is that the cameras are set up in such a way that we can clearly see the lisence plate.

I lived in a suburban area at the time when someone stole gas. $400 worth in (I shit you not) a yellow H1 Hummer with green flames. I called the police and told them the description of the car and the lisence plate and they simply laughed and said "Subtle. only one hummer-owner in this town"

I just love this article. It made my week. Shame there's no part 5. Even though he portrays GameStop as hell, I don't think I would mind working there. Especially if I too got a GameStop Voice.

You guys should use these kind of life-story-interviews more often. It was pretty interesting.

Ah, dealing with the public.

I can't read stories like this without thinking of the Acts of Gord. Classic.

Sorry you had to deal with this, Ben (and everyone else who's suffered behind the retail counter). It's a thankless job, and often not especially rewarding. Hope it helps a little bit to get this off your chest and share stories with people who can appreciate what you went through.

Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.

I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...

A very good and enlightening read. Props to Ben.

+1 for that dad. Parents need to command respect.

Nevyrmoore:
Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.

I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...

Yup. F that. When their servers do crash, NOT if they crash, when, We loose everything.

This was a really good series... sad to see it go D:

It was a really good article, but I hate to say that your "Gamestop Voice" is nothing special, it can be adopted by having any retail job. Because customers everywhere will always have a sense of entitlement, and a complete misunderstanding of the mantra "The customer is always right."

Hagrid seems like a pretty good guy...

Nevyrmoore:

Agreed. Also, I am getting tired of people talking as if GameStop was the only game retailer in the world.

If you don't want to shop at GameStop, fine...then don't. Take your business elsewhere. That doesn't mean those of us who actually care about actually owning rather than just renting games (beacuse that is what digital distribution is; a renting service) should suffer. Especially not those of us who live in parts of the world where there is no GameStop and have actual good retailers instead.

I really enjoyed this series. Maybe you guys can bring another former game stop soldier in to take about their time behind the counter too.

I have a good counter story. I was an employee GameStop a few years ago. An assistant manager in training actually. The current assistant who was doing the training was secretly stealing thousands of dollars of merchandise from that store. It had been going on for a couple of years.

Within the span of 2 months since I started the manager was fired for incompetence and loss prevention dropped the hammer on the assistant.

I was eventually let go after because I didn't know most of the ins and outs of running a GameStop. Considering who was training me I thought they could give me another shot but whatever.

Great article, too bad it's over.

The other three stories made me sad... this one made me happy. Thanks!

And that's what it comes down to, eh? One more voice crying the end of retail and the rise of digital distribution. Like it or not, Gamestop isn't going anywhere fast. Too many people are averse to digital. And there are plenty of people out there with consoles that aren't even hooked up to the Internet, meaning digital will be hard to get. The used market is still mighty, and it's impossible to execute with digital merchandise. Plus, at the end of the day, too many people still like physical copies. 10 years ago people cried that books were dying and e-readers rising. It hasn't happened yet. The kindle is a niche tool and too many people like hard copies. I'm not saying digital will never take over, but it's a long way off yet.

Fr]anc[is:

Nevyrmoore:

Yup. F that. When their servers do crash, NOT if they crash, when, We loose everything.

They aren't stupid... they back up your purchase record.

Great read, nice to hear about what really goes on inside a GameStop.

Two comments:

1)
It's probably already been said, but this series reminds me ALOT of "Acts of Gord":
http://www.actsofgord.com/

2)

One truly valuable skill I gained during my stint behind the counter was that I learned how to talk to strangers in a way that made them actually listen to me. I learned how to say "No" without seeming rude, learned how to get a crowd of people to line up in an orderly fashion during the holiday season; even learned how to effectively ask sugared-up children to stop running and screaming around the store. I still find myself constantly using what I call my "GameStop voice" - this voice of polite authority, this voice that I certainly didn't have before I worked at the store - in my day-to-day life.

To anyone reading this, LEARN THESE SKILLS! I currently make about $120,000/yr primarily using these skills.

I find it fascinating that jobs can develop a particular, get-things-done voice in the employee. I teach high school English, and when I'm trying to corral my friends or family into some place or gain everyone's attention to explain something, I find myself using my teacher voice. The complete shift in tone, register, and projection is almost surreal.

lacktheknack:

They aren't stupid... they back up your purchase record.

And Steam has the nice little feature of allowing you to back up any game you purchase right onto DVD.

Shorter than usual, but I still found it hilarious XD

A great series!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook