The Escapist Presents: Chronicles of Cataclysm: A New Hope for Gnomes and Trolls

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Chronicles of Cataclysm: A New Hope for Gnomes and Trolls

In addition to the brand-new race starting areas for goblins and worgen, the gnomes and trolls are getting new beginnings of their own.

Watch Video

Man, these are such a massive improvement over the old starting zones!

That's pretty cool. I really like gnomes, and was kind of annoyed that they didn't have their own starting area, so this is pretty awesome.

I only watched the gnome section because I'm going to make a new Troll when Cataclysm is released to be surprised by the very experience they're pushing. I'm still excited about this stuff, I'm just trying hard not to read or see much about it (besides the intro video which has few spoilers).

Oh, and the PvZ thing, just because that was too cool.

Huh, very interesting, but still won't play it, but interesting nonetheless. It's always exciting to see what the Warcraft Universe is up to.

Now, you don't have to answer, but is it just me or does NOBODY actually Die? those with big-names from the series, I mean? I wouldn't be surprised if the Heroes of WCII randomly show up at one point...*suddenly bumps into a few of them appearing in WoW in the wiki* ....what.

One word....Epic.

That's it, I'm rolling a gnome warlock when Cata hits.
I don't care if I already have a lvl 80 undead warlock. I want a gnome!

DarkPanda XIII:
Huh, very interesting, but still won't play it, but interesting nonetheless. It's always exciting to see what the Warcraft Universe is up to.

Now, you don't have to answer, but is it just me or does NOBODY actually Die? those with big-names from the series, I mean? I wouldn't be surprised if the Heroes of WCII randomly show up at one point...*suddenly bumps into a few of them appearing in WoW in the wiki* ....what.

Yeah there's only 3 Heroes that haven't showed up in WoW so far. One of them is kinda of dead, and the other two were suppose to appear in TBC but they were cut from the game.

And as Arthas put it WC3 "Does nobody stay dead these days?". Most of the heroes and big names of WC2/3 come back! Even the ones that were 100% sure dead, return.(Like Magtheridon or whatever)

DarkPanda XIII:

Are you refering to Vol'jin?
Because he wasn't in WCII, he was in Warcraft 3.
Zul'jin was in WCII.

Quite a lot of Lore characters are actually dead.

Just to name a few heroes who are infact, dead.

We will more than likley be seeing Danath Trollbane return this expansion if the NPC in the beta was any indication and the little hint that his statue was the first to fall under deathwing.

While I always felt a little bad for the Gnomes getting shortchanged (ba dum tsh) in story, as a loyal Hordie it's the Trolls I sympathize with the most. They've gotten so little of the spotlight during the time WoW has been running- heck, when I ran the "Retake the Echo Isles" questline, I heard more of Vol'jin's voice clips that day than I had during the entire four years of playing beforehand. It'll be good to see where their chips fall during the shake-up caused by the Cataclysm and Garrosh running the Horde into the ground.

But here's a point I've made before and feel is important enough to repeat- where is all the tension for the Alliance? My Little Pony picnics have more political intrigue than the leadership of the Alliance, and quite frankly playing A-side bores me to tears insofar as the storyline aspect goes. I was hoping that Varian Wrynn's return would toss a wild card into play, but it never seemed to go anywhere. Maybe the Worgen's induction into the fold might ruffle a few feathers?

Trolls deserve their own city 100%. Havent played WoW for a long-ass time, this is deffinetly getting me to subscribe again.

Alliance side... Wrynn is hated by almost all humans as he is blamed for a number of problems. Dwarves are messed up as they decided to share leadership between the three clans. Gnomes are busy trying to get back their city. Night Elves have problems with their leaders returning from the Emerald Dream and shaking things up. And the Draenei are so glad and in debt to the Alliance for not be destroyed by the burning legion, still they are foreigners to Azeroth.

Wow, I didn't even realize this was happening. That's cool.

This is fucking awesome! Cataclysm did it... it's pulling me back in, dammit!!

Ranorak:
That's it, I'm rolling a gnome warlock when Cata hits.
I don't care if I already have a lvl 80 undead warlock. I want a gnome!

You can just finish the starting area and then pay for a faction change :)

The Rogue Wolf:

But here's a point I've made before and feel is important enough to repeat- where is all the tension for the Alliance? My Little Pony picnics have more political intrigue than the leadership of the Alliance, and quite frankly playing A-side bores me to tears insofar as the storyline aspect goes. I was hoping that Varian Wrynn's return would toss a wild card into play, but it never seemed to go anywhere. Maybe the Worgen's induction into the fold might ruffle a few feathers?

I agree, especially since the Draenei's resemblance to the Eredar was so easily smoothed over. It felt like lost potential to me when the Night Elves were so rapidly accepting of them.

Awesome to say the least. Troll and Gnome are my two favorite races actually lol.

DarkPanda XIII:

They do, tonnes of lore characters have died in the World of Warcraft over the years.

Charli:

DarkPanda XIII:

They do, tonnes of lore characters have died in the World of Warcraft over the years.

I knew about Cairne, but Magni too!???!?!

OT: Those starting area's look really sick...too bad I will be focusing on my Goblin Warrior too much to care haha.

While I am glad that the Trolls and gnomes are finally getting their own home cities and starting points, I feel a little upset that they are the echo isles and gnomergan.

Yes they had already previously belonged to the Trolls and Gnomes repectively, but just look at their location on the maps! They are literally RIGHT NEXT to Orgrammar and Ironforge! Tell me, WHO in their right mind, would visit a city that is literally right on the doorstep of an already more established city?

I think the two races should have ventured away from ironforge and orgrammar, maybe settle on some islands that appeared to the west of desolate with the appearance of deathwing. The two could live in close proximity to one another, have their own battleground against one another, and just generally bring the two forgotten races closer together.

Tell me, honestly. After the initial "wow!" factor wears off, will any of you even bother going to gnomergan or the echo isles again? I find it rather unlikely. You will probably just go to ironforge and Orgrammar like you usually do, as the majority of players will be their, and you will already know your way around enough to traverse the whole place with your eyes closed.

How the heck the echo isles are even big enough to house an entire city baffles me.

Ranorak:

DarkPanda XIII:

Are you refering to Vol'jin?
Because he wasn't in WCII, he was in Warcraft 3.
Zul'jin was in WCII.

Quite a lot of Lore characters are actually dead.

Just to name a few heroes who are infact, dead.

And its funny that my favorite characters don't come back..., that being

*Shrugs*

tamerman:
While I am glad that the Trolls and gnomes are finally getting their own home cities and starting points, I feel a little upset that they are the echo isles and gnomergan.

Yes they had already previously belonged to the Trolls and Gnomes repectively, but just look at their location on the maps! They are literally RIGHT NEXT to Orgrammar and Ironforge! Tell me, WHO in their right mind, would visit a city that is literally right on the doorstep of an already more established city?

I think the two races should have ventured away from ironforge and orgrammar, maybe settle on some islands that appeared to the west of desolate with the appearance of deathwing. The two could live in close proximity to one another, have their own battleground against one another, and just generally bring the two forgotten races closer together.

Tell me, honestly. After the initial "wow!" factor wears off, will any of you even bother going to gnomergan or the echo isles again? I find it rather unlikely. You will probably just go to ironforge and Orgrammar like you usually do, as the majority of players will be their, and you will already know your way around enough to traverse the whole place with your eyes closed.

How the heck the echo isles are even big enough to house an entire city baffles me.

I kinda agree with you there. In fact the Darkspears aren't even from the Echoes originally, as they are actually exiles out of Stranglethorn Vale that followed Thrall to Kalimdor when the Scourge hit the fan in WC3. But considering STV is in for some serious damage ala Deathwing, I can see the trolls being content with just going back to their second home.
The gnomes on the other hand herald their origin from Gnomeregan, although there is rumor that they are a spinoff from the dwarves and therefore could legitimately call Ironforge their home. But they did build Gnomeregan with their own hands, and when you put that kind of work into something, you want to keep it. Besides there really isn't anywhere else to go short of sailing off the edges of the map(which I look forward to that occuring one day). Grim Batol is still held by the red dragonwing, and even though the Wildhammers are returning to Ironforge they are sure to not want the "kickballs" occupying their exile home of Aerie Peak.
But with there being a playable goblin faction appearing, I would love to see some pvp battles between goblin and gnome armies. This fight has been long in the making!
Either case, it is a step in improvement. Both trolls and gnomes have had a strong alliance with their respective partners long before the current Alliance and Horde was even conceived. It is only fair they stick around as neighbors after losing their squatter status. Grosh is either going to learn that he has to get along with the rest of the Horde, or someone will dispatch him soon enough.
As to those wondering about Alliance drama, you should take note that the reigning leader of Ironforge is going to be a Dark Iron. Or at least she lays claim to being the larger voice over the Wildhammer and Bronzebeard reps. Then there is the mystery on why the Night Elves would want to have anything to do with cursed beings such as the Worgen. Come Burning Crusade I never felt the Blood Elves wanted much to do with the Horde except as an alliance of convenience. We may very well have that on the Alliance side with the Worgen. Don't let your guard down.

DarkPanda XIII:

And its funny that my favorite characters don't come back..., that being

*Shrugs*

The first, like Deathwing, may turn out to be too stubborn to die especially with the Lich King out of the way.
The second lives on in his son. Dad was hot tempered even when he was cured of the curse. Of course that made him all the more vulnerable to relapsing.
The third lives on in memory alongside a certain Paladin who did his best to train a young Prince to know the best values in life and combat. They represented the true spirit of their factions, and what their people should have aspired to become.
The fourth's fate remains to be seen. With the Lich King down, pretty much securing Azeroth from the Burning Legion mostly for the time being, things may change over in Outland forcing her to surface.

Voljin isn't the only one having problems with the new warchief.

When playing the forsaken questline in silverpine forest, you witness a similar conversation between Sylvanas and Garrosh, altough Sylvanas limits herself to mocking the new warchief and disguises her threats more.

Meh, I play un-dead, so it doesn't affect me in the slightest...

Unless of course it means the gnomes I stab and the cannibalize will be happier because they got their own story. Then I'm glad they do :P

This will probs make me roll a Gnome just to see the start zone... but I still hate the little bastards.

I'm happy about the Troll zone though, especially since my plan in Cata is to start a Troll Druid.

Moriarty:
Voljin isn't the only one having problems with the new warchief.

When playing the forsaken questline in silverpine forest, you witness a similar conversation between Sylvanas and Garrosh, altough Sylvanas limits herself to mocking the new warchief and disguises her threats more.

No you're right, and the Tauren leader got killed by Garrosh too! This should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't really play WoW anymore but I am a fan of it's lore.
I'm interested in this 'Garrosh v.s Everyone else' conflict.

Dammit stop making me want to play this game!

I always backed saurfang you know that orc who can cleave the world in half.

DarkPanda XIII:

They killed illidin didn't they? now the lichking, Arthas, and even malygos. They may not be faction leaders but these are some pretty big names in wow lore. But yeah, it seems like nobody anyone is really attached to has died (sept i kinda liked illidin as a character), I haven't been paying attention so i don't know where thrall got off to but i do know he is still alive.

*EDIT*
someone mentioned something in an earlier post about illidin possibly not being dead, if i'm wrong someone mind telling me? i'm curious to know what happened to that bastard. Though i do remember killing him in the raid on the Black Temple.

tamerman:

Sure they're next to each other now, but won't the Cataclysm push them a ways apart?
Besides, Silvermoon is next door to Undercity (mostly) and Exodar is next door to Teldrassil, and that hasn't stopped people from visiting both.

So many ............. unnatural ........... pauses between .............. words.

timeadept:
They killed illidin didn't they? now the lichking, Arthas, and even malygos.

timeadept:
But yeah, it seems like nobody anyone is really attached to has died

lolwut. Really ticks me off that they're doing so much major plot through the MMO. MMOs are great for being a sandbox, not so much for telling a story.

So if Warcraft 4 ever rolls out, who, exactly will be the ones that killed Illidan, Arthas, etc.?

WC4 main menu > Import > WOW character as new Hero ?

xxcloud417xx:

Moriarty:
snip.

No you're right, and the Tauren leader got killed by Garrosh too! This should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Nah, Garrosh didn't really kill him, he just defeated him in a duel and Cairne died soon after this. People first assumed it was Garrosh which led him fleeing from Thunder Bluff, but actually it was Magatha Grimmtotem using poison to kill the injured Cairne.

samsonguy920:

tamerman:
*snip*

I kinda agree with you there. In fact the Darkspears aren't even from the Echoes originally, as they are actually exiles out of Stranglethorn Vale that followed Thrall to Kalimdor when the Scourge hit the fan in WC3. But considering STV is in for some serious damage ala Deathwing, I can see the trolls being content with just going back to their second home.
The gnomes on the other hand herald their origin from Gnomeregan, although there is rumor that they are a spinoff from the dwarves and therefore could legitimately call Ironforge their home. But they did build Gnomeregan with their own hands, and when you put that kind of work into something, you want to keep it. Besides there really isn't anywhere else to go short of sailing off the edges of the map(which I look forward to that occuring one day). Grim Batol is still held by the red dragonwing, and even though the Wildhammers are returning to Ironforge they are sure to not want the "kickballs" occupying their exile home of Aerie Peak.
But with there being a playable goblin faction appearing, I would love to see some pvp battles between goblin and gnome armies. This fight has been long in the making!
Either case, it is a step in improvement. Both trolls and gnomes have had a strong alliance with their respective partners long before the current Alliance and Horde was even conceived. It is only fair they stick around as neighbors after losing their squatter status. Grosh is either going to learn that he has to get along with the rest of the Horde, or someone will dispatch him soon enough.
As to those wondering about Alliance drama, you should take note that the reigning leader of Ironforge is going to be a Dark Iron. Or at least she lays claim to being the larger voice over the Wildhammer and Bronzebeard reps. Then there is the mystery on why the Night Elves would want to have anything to do with cursed beings such as the Worgen. Come Burning Crusade I never felt the Blood Elves wanted much to do with the Horde except as an alliance of convenience. We may very well have that on the Alliance side with the Worgen. Don't let your guard down.

Actually the Trolls were exiled from Stranglethorn by the other Jungle trolls a few hundred/thousand years ago. they then moved to an island near the maelstrom, were they met the orcish horde as thy fled the eastern kingdoms and were seeking shelter form the storm. there's an entire mini-campaign of it in frozen throne.

also: the Worgen were originally summoned by Elune to help fight off demons in Felwood. the night elves must feel some connection to these human-breed Worgen and feel responsible for their curse.

also also: didn't you play wrath of the litch king? Gnomes were originally robots made by the titans, same way the Dwarves were originally Earthen.

really with the exception of Dranei who are aliens, the night elves are the only alliance race NOT artificially made.

Optimystic:

tamerman:

Sure they're next to each other now, but won't the Cataclysm push them a ways apart?
Besides, Silvermoon is next door to Undercity (mostly) and Exodar is next door to Teldrassil, and that hasn't stopped people from visiting both.

i dont think so, as far as i can tell they are staying in relatively the same place.

and Silvermoon and Exodar had entire landmasses made for them, walking from Silvermoon to undercity would take a very long time. same goes for Exodar (albit on a lesser scale) whereas the gnomes and Trolls would only need to walk for five minutes to reach orgrammar/ironforge.

tamerman:

Optimystic:

i dont think so, as far as i can tell they are staying in relatively the same place.

and Silvermoon and Exodar had entire landmasses made for them, walking from Silvermoon to undercity would take a very long time. same goes for Exodar (albit on a lesser scale) whereas the gnomes and Trolls would only need to walk for five minutes to reach orgrammar/ironforge.

It's not as far as you make it sound. Undercity and Silvermoon are connected by that warp-gem thingy, and Exodar/Teldrassil have a boat. In fact, I daresay it takes less time to go from Undercity to Silvermoon than it does from Gnomeragan to Ironforge as a result. (Without mounts anyway.)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here