Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You know, over the weeks, watching certain events go down (Arizona, etc.), I've figured it out that we Mexicans have become the new "it" minority...right next to Muslims, of course.

But seeing both Devil and Paranormal Activity 2 use the same damn stereotype that all Latinos are innately spiritual and religious, I've figured it out now.

We Mexicans (and by extension Latinos) are being used as the new "Magical Negro" stereotype: It's now the "Magical Latino/Beaner" stereotype.

I fucking hate Hollywood....

RedRussian:
I was hoping this one would be scarier then the last. I was kinda disappointed by the first one.

Same, I watch the first one at about 1am and was all ready to not be able to sleep afterwards and the only bit that made me jump was the last 5 seconds. Really disappointed.

Good review, Bob. Loved the Li'L Bob voice.

Onyx Oblivion:
Please don't ever remind about anyone about Blair Witch 2...

Please.

...There is a 2nd blair witch?.... Now I am tempted to see it...

And I must link drop something.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18720_7-famous-movie-flaws-that-were-explained-in-deleted-scenes_p2.html

There, it is done. Hopefully I'll get to reading this thread at some point, but for now, I was supposed to be asleep an hour ago. (Durn night shifts.)

Bob has it right, just doing things bigger is not the secret to success in horror storytelling.

For horror movie sequels to work something about the story need to change. The shift from Alien to Aliens is an extreme example, where the franchise changed from horror to action horror, though I suspect that'd be a tough jump for Paranormal Activity. Perhaps if they'd turned in a more weird tales direction, or even a n out of the house "look what these ATM or other public security cameras" see point of view.

Did anyone else not know that this movie existed?

I preferred the original ending of the 2007 version, before they wussed out for mainstream America...

You know what I kind of wish: when Bob picks a movie one week, but there are other movies that also came out that Escapist members might also consider seeing; I obviously think it is unreasonable to do two videos (or three or four) but since Bob has seen all of them (and that helps him decide which one he wants to do the video on each Friday) maybe he could just give a "it's good" or an "it's bad" thumb up/thumb down during the credits. You know, like is Hereafter any good?

Bob, if you're reading this: could you consider that?

Love the reviews, keep it up.

Personally, I saw the midnight showing, and I have to disagree about Bob's assessment of this, which is unusual given I tend to use his reviews as a compass for my taste in films.

This movie and the first movie both did enough to keep me bolted to my seat. Sure, yes, the demon's freakouts this time around are a lot less subtle and we're all just waiting to see it do it's thing, but I'm a total sucker for this stuff.

Blair Witch Project was one of the scariest movie experiences of my life, and I never even saw it in theaters. Nothing really "scared" me between then and now until Paranormal. There are just so few horror movies that offer a truly unseen, unfathomable entity that STAYS that way, and isn't merely defeated in the end. Those sort of films are extremely rare, and they frighten the living shit out of me. Much in the same way that "Despicable Me" wasn't the strongest movie I'd ever seen, but I loved because of it's ability to make me cry, the Paranormals' 1 and 2 can incite a primal fear within me that follows me home and can take days to shake off, and I love it, if only for that.

Frankfurter4444:
You know, like is Hereafter any good?

No, it really isn't. Though the first five minutes are pretty awesome.

I'm going to watch it tonight with some friends, hopefully it's better than the review said.

Huh. Well, I wasn't expecting too much from it, but I'll probably see it sometime anyways. I'll just go into it knowing that it won't actually be anything amazing.

I was never going to see this anyway, but i am instead going to see PA1 which i haven't seen yet.

OT: do cloverfield how could you miss it like come on its perfect.

That bit about the Robot in the credits demands explanation.

DEMANDS , Bob.

Don't fail me.

Awesome to see him using the Extra Credit's voice. Good review, going to tell friends this.

never been a fan of the first Paranormal Activity so why would I see this ?

seriously why people loved that movie ? it was boring.

You know, even if it's a good idea to make a sequel (note: it is most certainly not), then giving it a timespan haphazardly stuck into the first movie's timeline is a bad idea.
Even I lost track of Saw with all those damn parallel timelines.

Meh. Never cared for horror movies too much, never saw The blair witch project for that matter, so I'm going to say ...I'm skipping this, unless the horror movie-obsessed girlfriends begs me to watch it......

I enjoyed this film so much! Great cinema experience. with friends. Made even better by the peopel sat behind us going "Fuck this shit!" everything a suspencful moment of creepy scene came on lol

but saying that, it wasnt because it was a great blockbuster film. No, its because it was laughable at parts (that darn baby is so cute, even when in peril) and the only reason i found i was watching it was to find out if the Demon got what it wanted and so see how many more times it made me jump.

Pool cleaning-bot <3 "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" rofl

I'm suprised bob felt this way considering the reviews for PA2 are just as good as the first. In fact, alot of critics are saying it's even better.
Normally I trust Bob, he's a damn good reviewer, but he seemed to be more pissed that it's a sequel than whether or not its a good film.

And the general public and critics seemed to love the last one, save a few guys hating to hate, or those who hate handheld no matter what it is. There's only a few naysayers of the original I've heard that can back up their bitching.

But yes, sequels often suck, remakes too, in fact most horror movies in general are flat out awful, which saddens me as I love the genre.
I blame the saw series and michael bay for producing horror remakes.

Yeah...remaking the thing...may just be the worst idea I've ever heard.

wildcard9:
You know, over the weeks, watching certain events go down (Arizona, etc.), I've figured it out that we Mexicans have become the new "it" minority...right next to Muslims, of course.

But seeing both Devil and Paranormal Activity 2 use the same damn stereotype that all Latinos are innately spiritual and religious, I've figured it out now.

We Mexicans (and by extension Latinos) are being used as the new "Magical Negro" stereotype: It's now the "Magical Latino/Beaner" stereotype.

I fucking hate Hollywood....

And asians are nerdy and good at maths, black people are aggressive, drug adicted criminals. It's not something new, it's just that brown is the new black.

However, it's not like we don't do it. Brazilians love to dance and are great at soccer, Mexicans... well.. you know, and us have enormous egos.

you would think that people would realize by now that they shouldn't make sequels to horror movies

I didn't even like the first one. It wasn't scary or even moderately entertaining, in my opinion. I do agree that once they show the highest level of danger in the 1st movie, the second one is nearly impossible to top...but then again, your just trying to top crap.

Enkidu88:
That bit about the Robot in the credits demands explanation.

DEMANDS , Bob.

Don't fail me.

25 years ago this past monday, the NES debuted in the United States. Video games were effectively dead here, so the only way Nintendo could get retailers to carry it was to put a Robot in the box and build the initial marketing around him - effectively selling it as a "toy robot" that interfaced with a TV via the console and cartridges.

Of course, within a few months of release the mega-popularity of "Super Mario Bros." made it no longer necessary to hide behind the 'bot, but without R.O.B. as the "trojan horse" for toystores it's possible that home video games would not have made a significant re-emergence in North America.

Not terribly surprised at PA's sequel being a lesser copy. I enjoyed PA (yes, Micah is a complete idiot, but he somehow comes off a realistic complete idiot, IMHO) and I figured that any follow-up would rehash the original and ruin the suspense. The best sequels I've seen to horror movies have been the ones that use the first movie as background but then go off into new territory. See Alien and Aliens (but not the rest). "More of the same" works for action flicks (sometimes), but not for horror.

Will probably give this a look on Netflix, but that's about it. Good review, Bob.

I think they could have set it in a hospital, something with security cameras. And in the final part people get locked in, something like that.

zipzod:
Did anyone else not know that this movie existed?

I saw the review for the first one but it didn't run here.

Maybe they will show it if this one is a hit, but I doubt it.

Fair points, but I'm still going to see it.

After all, there's a difference between something being 'good' and something being 'entertaining'. And being IN the cinema among friends and family and strangers in the dark, will probably amplify the scares, even more so than my pansy self would normally.

Also, I feel I have to mention that I cringe every time I read comments along the lines of 'Right! He said it wasn't that great! I shall never see his movie and pretend it never existed!'

People, Moviebob is just ONE guy! His thoughts are worth merit, but he is still just one person, with his own thoughts and preferences. If you MUST be utter sheep and base what media you consume purely on what other people think, at LEAST judge things on an average, via stuff like Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes.

As expected from a sequel - One can't top perfection.

Hard to believe they made a sequel to that.

SAW 3D??!!!?!?!?! I HAVE RAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

Now that that is over with, I never saw the first one, but it doesn't surprise me the sequel was ruined

I was hoping that this one would be good. Seeing as I couldn't be scared by the first movie even if I tried to be, but oh'well.

When will hollywood learn... probably never, considering that they're being led by short term profit gain and ideals as opposed to long term profit as well as a rather curiously ill view of how to pander to their market, trying to min/max spending and profit with unrealistic expectations.

I'll be seeing it anyway, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with and now I'm expecting even less. Here's hoping it's still good, rather than average/passable or worse.

Thanks for the Nintendo shout-out. I first played that thing just before my third birthday and still enjoy the classics today.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here