A Handy Glossary of Yahtzee Terms

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Lol at that last line.
The point about immersion is interesting and sensible. I don't think any of us ever lose sight of the fact that we're playing a video game when we're playing. (If you do you need help) Yahtzee may be completely ignorant to this fact, but motion controls and touch screens go a long way in improving his definition of immersiveness of video games, simply because they make navigating menus much more intuitive and quick.

Being near to the final boss in the game, I can't help but think of how Yahtzee will like it and of all the things he'll be sure to make fun of/criticize in the inevitable review of Kirby's Epic Yarn. My guess is that almost all of the review will be about the game's extremely childish appeal. (which isn't at all a problem or something to complain about) This includes everything from the visuals to the difficulty level to the narrated story-time style cutscenes to the option to customize Kirby's home with furniture.

Well crap! I can't seem to find anything to argue with or complain about in this article. Not only that but I find myself in near complete agreement with ol'ZP. In particular his statement about immersion being tied to the quality of the games construction.

Like if your using a well made and balanced hammer your not thinking about the bloke that made it, because your probably thinking "This is a nice hammer" "It feels like an extension of my arm and drives those nails in really well".

Zeon_1992:
Shame people don't understand some terms and forced you to do this. Found it funny anyways. P.S. I am not fat, just well rounded.

Dude......that's the greatest avatar I've ever seen.

Thanks for the info though I didn't read it entirely because I was too busy doing CEO stuff and being generally important.

Electrogecko:

Zeon_1992:
Shame people don't understand some terms and forced you to do this. Found it funny anyways. P.S. I am not fat, just well rounded.

Dude......that's the greatest avatar I've ever seen.

I was listening to a rock remix of JENOVA and checked the avatar and the dude was banging his head in the same rhythm. :D kewl

Fat

What you are. You are fat.

See now this is the kind of wit that got me watching ZP in the first place. Care to tell me why a good chunk of this year's videos have been lacking it Yahtzee?

BTW, I'm not fat, I'm big boned.

Irridium:

Casual Shinji:
Yahtzee praising Uncharted?

I bet he's going to be sore in the morning.

He liked the game itself, he just hated Nathan Drake.

I know, but he hates Nathan Drake a lot.

Eventhough he liked the game, to him it must've felt like playing Half-Life 2 as written by Joss Whedon.

I loved the first two paragraphs, the rest of it was interesting but I would love to read something focusing on the idea of the first two paragraphs. Is there any escapist articles that deal with a similar concept as those two paragraphs? Just seems like something that may have been posted in the past on this site.

Edit: Also, should have mentioned that Fallout New Vegas does something with Elvis that is similar to the concept in the first two paragraphs.

Since when is 11 stone overweight?

God dammit. Now that the overweight threshold for a 5'9" adult American male has been lowered to (somewhere) below 150 lbs, 99% of American males who are 5'9" are obese (rather than only about 30%)!

I was wondering what Unfocused meant to you actually.

Anyway, any chance you will get around to reviewing Fable III in the coming months? :D

Why the hell do you call me fat every week??! I hate you and I hope you die!

Jack and Calumon:
I understood what you meant most of the time. Can't think of any time you haven't made sense. BESIDES the MGS4 review, which I hold against you to this very day. The "Booty" line made me chuckle. I wonder how many people are going to scour through your articles to find that one word just to laugh at the differences in culture for five seconds before making lolcats or something like that.

After I read the "booty" part, I instantly remembered that I thought it sounded out of place, and a weird way to get the last zing/hah. Then, I thought about all the Yahtzee drones who are going to dig through previous articles looking for their weeks worth of magic.

OT: I think these terms are pretty universal and clear to anyone who speaks English and plays video games. I enjoyed a lot of the humor but did not understand the correlation between slang and actual universal vernacular.

Electrogecko:
Yahtzee may be completely ignorant to this fact, but motion controls and touch screens go a long way in improving his definition of immersiveness of video games, simply because they make navigating menus much more intuitive and quick.

He addressed this somewhere, but I can't remember where. He disagreed; said that having to perform large physical actions to control the game broke immersion and that a controller with buttons easily becomes invisible.

Ut oh, yahtzees gonna be in trouble! He insulted a very violent religions idol. The spiderman people are going to be PISSED. Hes like the MECCA of comic book heroes.....

Funny, I didn't need him to explain any of that. Maybe I just understand Yahtzee better than the average viewer.
And Your OWN gut is nothing to be proud of you bleached Manatee of a game critic! >(

I'll admit to having looked up a few of the slang terms in the reviews, but it's always nice to learn something.
Also, for his sake, I really hope Yahtzee doesn't have to review Castlevania:LOS. I really think it would be the end of him.

Ha! I am immune to that first stunt: http://xkcd.com/391/

Also I actually am a bit overweight so that didn't bother me either.

So I think the score is me: 2 Yahtzee: :p

Also I rather enjoyed the bit where Russ changed an article and now it sounded like something by Destiny's Child.

Fronzel:

Electrogecko:
Yahtzee may be completely ignorant to this fact, but motion controls and touch screens go a long way in improving his definition of immersiveness of video games, simply because they make navigating menus much more intuitive and quick.

He addressed this somewhere, but I can't remember where. He disagreed; said that having to perform large physical actions to control the game broke immersion and that a controller with buttons easily becomes invisible.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7794-Extra-Punctuation-On-Kinect-and-PlayStation-Move

Just once I want Yahtzee to write an an article without insulting someone or something. I know I'm probably in a minority here but I watch Zero Punctuation mainly for the caustic all out attack on a game, but I read Extra Punctuation to get a more measured and controlled perspective on whatever the discussed issue is.

And it loses some of that when Yahtzee starts blasting games like he would in ZP. Maybe just once he should try just discussing. You can still use examples, for example, "this game" is a good example of "this mechanic" being used "Well/Poorly." There's no need for the verbal attacks and sweary takes on for example "Kane and Lynch."

Just try it, please, just once.

lol ah that read gave me a good chuckle.

Hey!

If I am fat that makes 99% of the world's population morbidly obese.

Fronzel:

Electrogecko:

Yes I remember that. It was his reaction to E3 this year and all the motion control shinanigans that occured there. Sadly, he's just plain wrong. In the same article, he stated that the ultimate goal of game control is the matrix style virtual reality thing, in which you are looking through the protagonist's eyes into his/her world and are in complete control over his/her every movement. Aside from the fact that this directly conflicts with his opinion on motion controls, his understanding of motion control is completely flawed!

He seems to think (kinda like Square Enix does) that motion control means flailing your arms about in an effort to imitate the desired movements of the character on screen. This is the most steriotypical and shallow implementation possible, and he uses it as the basis of his entire argument. Take something as simple as Labyrinth on your Iphone. Is he arguing that the game would be better and more immersive if it were controlled with an analog stick instead of a gyrosensor? What about Wii Sports Resort? I suppose the sword fighting game would be more precise and easier to control by conventional means right?

To say that motion controls have no place in video games is asinine beyond belief. There have been countless examples of how they can be used to improve a game without sacrificing anything. As I said before in this comment section, I've been playing the new Kirby game for the last few days, and it is the perfect example of proper use of motion control. Nearly all of the game will accept nothing but two buttons and the control pad for input. However, in the sections where Kirby turns into a tank or a fire truck, tilting the controller is required to aim the cannon and the water hose respectively. Had the game been on another console, aiming these peripherals would be done by the second analog stick, making aiming impossible to do while jumping or firing as long as the face buttons were used for these functions. As it is, I can jump around and navigate platforms while aiming and firing my water hose in a very precise, fun, and intuitive manner.

But I can count my ribs in the mirr-OhIseewhatyoudidthere...

Made me giggle, awesome. Hooray for vocabulary!

Shift is not Enter, nor is Enter Shift.

Why don't they just have Logan edit your stuff he's from the land of eternal rain and crumpets.

AH GOD DAMNIT. I haven't lost the game in months. Thanks a lot, Croshaw!

Delock:
Yahtzee, what have you done?! By calling everyone fat, you've made fat average, so now obese is fat and average is skinny and skinny is anorexic thin which has now become "How can you even exist?" size. The measurement system is now ruined!

Also, because you made me lose the game, I must do this

You son of a bitch.

Did anyone honestly not know the meaning behind those terms? They're used pretty often in video game reviews...

Honestly, don't underestimate your viewers, Yahtzee

I think the entire point of this article was so Yahtzee could make everyone lose The Game....

Maybe these terms need to be explained, but I thought these could be deciphered when you hear them in context.

i never really got what he meant when he used "fat" in his reviews. but now i understand a key component of video game journalism. thanks yahtzee!

For the first bit, it's not impossible that the life of Jesus as described in the gospels was a work of allegorical fiction. Various incongruities in the story when compared to what you'd expect historically and ... know what there's too much of a topic there to cover in a throwaway paragraph, I'll leave it at saying that there are interesting webpages about the potential for Jesus to be a mythical figure (or at least one that, as originally conceived, was a divine figure from the heavenly plane, without any earthly manifestation as a man) that anyone competent at googling should be able to find.

As to the second, I've always understood what was said. But know a fair number of long words, and am English (so the slang's never a problem), I may not be a representative sample of the population.

Zeeky_Santos:

Experimental:
The comparison of Space Invaders and Kane & Lynch made me giggle. Other than that, getting out of ideas of what to write, hmm?

How did you get that impression?

It's Z/XP. Some people have to be negative even if they have nothing to actually say. It's a rule.

Interesting, some definitions are somewhat different than what I expected (immersion in particular).

But anyway, slang language is the least problem with Y's reviews. The bigger problem, at least for us non-native speakers, is the fucking speed. How about supplying the written version as well? We could listen, and if we don't catch something, check the written version. I prefer videos anyway (especially Y's ones).

A few times Y has shown a screenshot of his word processor and that always adds a lot, because I can read what he actually said. IT HELPS!

Well?

Whats the deal with calling us fat? I'm not fat... Quite the opposite.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
For example, you might be able to take cover from bullets, but if the cover gradually gets destroyed, that adds a layer of depth.

Why, that is obviously silly, sir!
Surely you mean to say that if your cover's destroyed then a layer of depth is, in fact, removed from the game, right?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here