Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Watch Video

I wish they would just make more handheld 2D castlevania games, instead of God of War knock offs.

I picked up on most of these things in the Demo, all it had going for it was nice scenery.

Also, that fart gag at the end had me crying with laughter, because I can picture myself doing it...to all of my friends...in a tiny room.

i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

Broken microphone it seems. and I haven't played the game but I think that making a 2D Castlevania into 3D will be very hard so I dont really understand why Yahtzee is against the change so much

I must say I disagree about the 3D Castlevania thing. I really liked Lament of Innocence, it was pretty fun and engaging. Even though it had like... 3 characters.

Uhg. That ending was surprisingly gross. I'm glad it cut off where it did...

Also: the cake is a lie.

Thank you for breaking out the stamps. This CastleVania ripped off too much and did nothing to help the series. SotN at least broke the franchise out of its side scroller rut, but I realize that "MetroidVania" isn't what they want to continue doing either. If they keep running with this Dracula being the real Dracula, they're going to get a lot of raised eyebrows.

ranyilliams:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

I agree, however it is still relevant

The second I saw the portal reference, I expected the rest of the critique.

While all your points are pretty much spot on...I'm still having a blast with it. I don't find it to be a bad imitation of God of War(mostly because I only played #3 at a friend's house for about an hour). The combat works for me, the camera mostly focuses on what I need to see, and I love the scenery so far. I was actually just booting it up when I saw that you posted this video. Weird.

Just to add some pros to the experience...I think the Voice Acting is pretty good, and its certainly an enjoyable experience thus far. A lot of creature variety and nothing is feeling particularly dragged out surprisingly.

you know what? I used to know what the castlevania series was about.... when I was twelve.

Yes, but did he LIKE the game?

LWS666:
will they put me on probation if i haven't watched the video even if it's just to ask this question?

I think if you wait the requisite 5 minutes, it's all good.

"...the bar has been set lower than Satan's wine-cellar."

One of your best lines in ages, Yahtzee.

ranyilliams:

He'll stop using it when game makers stop doing it

Finally! It feels like ZP is back. This one had my a laughing all the way. All new metaphors, all new insults, and same ol' voice. Life's good.

ranyilliams:

I always thought it was a comparison, not a joke.

ranyilliams:

So are games that are like God of War but...

OT: The demo pretty much told me that I wouldnt like so Im not even concerned about Yahtzee's opinion

Why does he keep changing mic? The standard sounds so much better.

4:52
Oh god (of war) damnit all, I haven't laughed like that at a ZP video in a while.

Alright so I'm expecting for Yahtzee to NOT like this game...
*watches video*
Yup, not surprised. Although I do think he went a little easier on it than I expected. I missed the "Like God of War, but.." stamp, glad he brought it back. Also, is it just me or do Yahtzee's best jokes/analogies come out of irritation for fixed camera angles?
Oh and Inspector Gadget hat = awesome.

i was thoroughly disturbed by some of the analogies in that video

Does anyone get the title

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Lords: Damn cant think of anything
of: God of war
Shadow: Shadow of the Collussus

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Man I was worried there for a second that a review might not come out today.

Well Yahtzee hates it, off the Christmas list you go.

Great one, never played a Castlevania game but that made me laugh. Surprised at the length of it, guess they get points for trying

I disagree with Yahtzee, I liked the game, but yet again I adore both God of War and Shadow of the Colossus, if only they have been more creative with the game and had Dracula in it.

That awkward pause before 'So...where do you want the 'Like God of War But' stamp?' had me in stitches! Amazing ZP, as always. :D

I love the addition of an 'Available from' section in the flavour text for this review. As if its saying; "now that you've listened to this charismatic stallion make farting noises at our game and call it a tosser for five minutes, perhaps you would like to buy it?"

Left 4 Dead 2 has a Portal reference and that game's awesome.

The Bucket:
Great one, never played a Castlevania game but that made me laugh. Surprised at the length of it, guess they get points for trying

Never played a Castlevania game? where you born 2 years ago or what?

I was kind of hoping for New Vegas but still it's good to have another classed as terrible which means i won't waste money buying it.
I am getting a bit pissed off by all these god of war rip-off games. What happened to games that try and bring something new to the table?

Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook