Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

It looks like the only thing it a game needs to be a "like God of War but" stamp is a hack n' slash style combat. Lords of shadows feels like something more out of the line of Devil May Cry. Guess that sucks for DMC or is it Devil May God of War...

Wow...a series iteration so bad I can't even justify the use of my 'It's not Castlevania, it's Devil's Castle Dracula, get it right you Gaijins!' card. Why do they keep on crapping on the classics I love so much with gritty reboot after gritty reboot? WHY?! What is up with this fixation on gritty reboots when the original material can hold enough ground all on its own? Bay did this with his Bayformers, Capcom did this with Bionic Commando, and now COCKS did it with Castlevania, presumably after a night of Tequila-binge and watching Guillermo del Toro movies!

Damn kids with their "I wanna be edgy" attitudes!

While Yahtzee's reviews never fail to make me laugh (and he always has some good points), my concern is, is the game worth it? I tried the demo and it was fun. Now, since I'm unable to rent or borrow the game (no game shops that offer that or friends with PS3) I'm unsure whether to buy the game because demo didn't really offer extensive look into gameplay ; there weren't even any platforming parts. However I've found its setting to be interesting, and my only encounter with Castlevania was a brief one, back on PS1. So I want your opinions since there are a lot of other games I could buy instead (only own PS3 for a couple of months now)

Castlevania never was all that appealing to me. Idk if Id buy this, maybe rent or borrow.

Definitely worth a rental at the very least. I enjoyed the hell out of this game!

rickicker:
Wow...a series iteration so bad I can't even justify the use of my 'It's not Castlevania, it's Devil's Castle Dracula, get it right you Gaijins!' card. Why do they keep on crapping on the classics I love so much with gritty reboot after gritty reboot? WHY?! What is up with this fixation on gritty reboots when the original material can hold enough ground all on its own? Bay did this with his Bayformers, Capcom did this with Bionic Commando, and now COCKS did it with Castlevania, presumably after a night of Tequila-binge and watching Guillermo del Toro movies!

Because gaming is going through its angry 90s comic book phase and is of the mentality that anything short of "grim and gritty" is for kids, women, and fags. Thank god for Nintendo

Aiddon:

rickicker:

Because gaming is going through its angry 90s comic book phase and is of the mentality that anything short of "grim and gritty" is for kids, women, and fags. Thank god for Nintendo

Greaaaaaat. Next thing we know, Death would be sporting pants with unnecessary pouches and a flowing jacket while sporting the most ridiculously over-sized guns and spouting awful puns. Wake me up when the industry's pock-marked, cracking voice, emo-music listening, triple-D-titties-chasing puberty phase is over.

Over 5 castlevaina games have not featured drucla excluding this one
The original 2D games were pretty linear
So, basically Yatzhee your complaints about that are very far off the mark of what a castlevaina game is or isn't.

Your disc problem doesn't concern me*points to my ps3*

Also, Metroidvaina should already be the hint your not actually playing a Castlevaina, because it's Starts with *Flipping* Metroid! I'd like to end that with most plot of earlier castlevainas were that you just out to kill dracula and you swung your whip/chain around(except in Symphony and the GBA games where you had other weapons)....so, making it a love story about defeating the lords of shadow is just taking it more about taking it back to it's roots....So it's not "Like God of war but" , also I believe there were a few bosses that had specific weak points and were huge so it's not "Like Shadow of Colossus but", it's more "Castlevaina but you never played the castlevaina it happened in". Aka do more reesearch

Also for those saying this a gritty Reboot this isn't that gritty and infact is probably more lighter than symphony of the night in tone

While Yahtzee's reviews never fail to make me laugh (and he always has some good points), my concern is, is the game worth it? I tried the demo and it was fun. Now, since I'm unable to rent or borrow the game (no game shops that offer that or friends with PS3) I'm unsure whether to buy the game because demo didn't really offer extensive look into gameplay ; there weren't even any platforming parts. However I've found its setting to be interesting, and my only encounter with Castlevania was a brief one, back on PS1. So I want your opinions since there are a lot of other games I could buy instead (only own PS3 for a couple of months now)

I played the demo, enjoyed it, and bought the game. The game far exceeded my expectations; it's loads of fun.

CoL0sS:

I played the demo, enjoyed it, and bought the game. The game far exceeded my expectations; it's loads of fun.

(Sorry about the repeat post.)

joemegson94:
Left 4 Dead 2 has a Portal reference and that game's awesome.

So does 'splosion man :)

I like the game. And God of War was in no way original although I must admit that many of the themes in this game did feel GoW-like to me.

teerts emases morf tnuoc eth =
hte count from sesame street?
Failure =P

Just by watching a few videos i could tell the game barely resembled Castlevania at all. Also on a side-note since when do i suck pigs...

that was one of the funniest videos he's done!

I played a demo for this game, yet, it wasn't as inspiring as I had hoped it to be. Symphony of the Night and game play surrounding that would have been a nicer touch, but then I could just be looking at this from a Nostalgic point of view.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here