Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

dennett316:

ranyilliams:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

I can't agree with this. If the joke is getting old it just shows you how stagnant the games industry has become in terms of the outright theft of successful formulas and the repackaging of the same damn game for the seventy squillionth time. People keep buying them though, hence the need for the joke.

No, no, no.
That's like saying that the game industry is stagnating just because they still make First Person Shooters, or RTS-Games or games of every other existing genre.
You can't just invent something completly new every time you develop another game.

Madara XIII:

oh Btw... THE CAKE IS A LIE!! Srsly why in god's name would you feel the need to pull that in a game in 2010!?

Because retarded Valve fans still think it's the funniest joke EVER so they post it everywhere still. Buying Portal 2 is like the old forum rules in a way, don't buy it you're feeding the troll.

(and the cake was only a lie because that disgusting fatass Gabe heard there was cake and ate the damn code)

Making a 'The Cake Is A Lie' reference is like dressing up like a black and white minstrel. If I ever see or hear about anybody doing it then I immediately cut them off. I never watch, read, listen or play them and I tell everybody that I know (my Mum and two or three other people) to do the same.

There's just no excuse for it at all. By the time I actually got around to playing Portal the joke had been so overdone by the internet that I groaned when it came up in the game.

Then, I haven't played a Castlevania game since the one for the SNES and I didn't think too much of that one either. So I probably wasn't going to be getting this game anyway.

Don't forget kids! It's not too late to write to your video game designers and web comic artists about unnessecary Portal references!

Kilts aren't skirts:

ninjaman87:
dude what the fuck is you main problem cant you just have fun when playing games wich are the main poitn and after all the piece fucking garbitch of shadow of colossus what nothing more than a patetic waste of time and speace it had nothing interesting to do and you only fight so little this game had more of a better story.

You really are missing the point of Yatzhee's reviews

I think that's not all he's missing, I can barely understand what he's trying to say...

Thrust:
I disagree with Yahtzee, I liked the game, but yet again I adore both God of War and Shadow of the Colossus, if only they have been more creative with the game and had Dracula in it.

He said you didn't like the game? If that is not the case, exactly what are disagreeing about?

Anyway, something he actually did say that I agree about: the 2D Castleroidvania is great, to an extent. Symphony, Aria, and Portait are top notch. In that order.

joemegson94:
Left 4 Dead 2 has a Portal reference and that game's awesome.

yeah but that was by the same people who made portal

I played the demo of this thing, and that was enough for me.

This game is so obviously commitee decined that it actually hurts.

I can imagine what the meeting went like.

(completeley monotone robot voice)
Board member one: "W e _ s h o u l d _ m a k e _ g a m e"

Board member two: "W h o _ w a s _ s u c c e s s f u l l _ g a m e"

1: "[God of War] _ w a s _ p o p u l a r _ g a m e"

2: "W e _ m a k e _ game=[God of War]"

1: "W e _ a l s o _ n e e d _ s e t t i n g"

3: "[castlevania] _ i s _ p o p u l a r _ f r a n c i s e"

1: "W e _ m a k e _ game=[castlevania]+[God of War]"

3: "N e g a t i v e" "W e _ n e e d _ m o r e"

2: "[Shadow of the Colossus] _ i s _ p o p u l a r _ g a m e _ a l s o"

3: "M a y b e _ f a c e"

1: "[Hideo Kojima] _ i s _ p o p u l a r _ f a c e"

2: "W e _ m a k e _ game=[castlevania]+[God of War]+[Shadow of the Colossus]+[Hideo Kojima]"

1: "W e _ r e c i e v e _ m o n e y"

1, 2 and 3: "H u z z a h"

Kilts aren't skirts:

ninjaman87:
dude what the fuck is you main problem cant you just have fun when playing games wich are the main poitn and after all the piece fucking garbitch of shadow of colossus what nothing more than a patetic waste of time and speace it had nothing interesting to do and you only fight so little this game had more of a better story.

You really are missing the point of Yatzhee's reviews

Do you ever have moments on the internet where you see a mouth-frothed demon infant on the forum floor spewing alphabet soup, and you can only kneel down and pat it on the head, secretly hating yourself as you slowly draw the knife to cut it out of reality? I do; surprising often as well.

On topic, good review! This was pretty much the impression I received from the demo of the game. I'm glad I decided not to fork out the 40 for this. It makes up for the fact that I preordered The Force Unleashed 2; (oh dear me!)

Two things:

1. I can't fathom how anyone believes this isn't a God of War clone. That term certainly gets thrown around, but it fits this game like a fucking glove. Mythological monsters? Check. QTE finishers? Check. Chained whip weaponry? Fucking check. You'd have to be blind or stupid not to see it. If anything, this is the first time it has genuinely applied.

2. To the people who think he's overusing the "Like God of War, But" stamp: is it possible to miss the point any harder? It's meant to be an indictment of "me too" game design. The more he uses it, the funnier/sadder it gets. If you don't understand this, I'm not sure you're responding to the actual content of his criticism. You're maybe just infatuated with clever imagery or his accent.

The Rockerfly:

ranyilliams:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

I agree, however it is still relevant

Not really. "Somebody gets pissed and goes off to kill a bunch of mythological creatures."

Until God of War came out, that described Castlevania in a nutshell. The review was funny, but it couldn't be more wrong if it were written by Ben Kuchera.

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

I can't agree with this. If the joke is getting old it just shows you how stagnant the games industry has become in terms of the outright theft of successful formulas and the repackaging of the same damn game for the seventy squillionth time. People keep buying them though, hence the need for the joke.

No, no, no.
That's like saying that the game industry is stagnating just because they still make First Person Shooters, or RTS-Games or games of every other existing genre.
You can't just invent something completly new every time you develop another game.

Actually, since Castlevania came first in the 8-bit generation and used the whip God of Boredom ripped it off. If they had made GOW back then, it would've been made like Castlevania and to be honest, GOW is actually a lot like the N64 Castlevania games only with better graphics and camera. So anyone saying this is "like God of War but..." are technically wrong in a way.

Maybe Castlevania hit the same wall Prince of Persia hit with 3D - in this case there's future for that... I don't have hope for that.

The miserable pile of secrets bit at the end is my favorite part of this video.

I just wish that Konami finally get 3d Castlevania right. I've played Curse of Darkness, and while the Familiar and Item Crafting systems were fun, they never captured the same magic I felt when I played SotN for the first time 10 years ago.

Fucking Brilliant Yahtzee!

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

No, no, no.

Mythological monsters. QTEs. Chained whips. Wake up.

FieryTrainwreck:

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

No, no, no.

Mythological monsters and chained whips were Castlevania originals. You need to wake up.

Oh yes this is the kind of hateful bile and spiel i had loved from the older reviews! Welcome back Yahtzee! Welcome back.

Was concerned that you actually started to like the games you review lately, instead of just bashing them all to hell for every little flaw!

ranyilliams:

Im sure he will as soon as developers quit making "like god of war, but..." games.

OT: I for one liked Castlevania 64 and sadly its one of the few 64 games I no longer have.

Still though, 2d is what really makes a Castlevania game, but even then it gets old when 90% of the plots is about killing dracula......again........

There is a saying:
"If everything you experience reminds you of something else, then your life is half over."

Now with the balancing properties of math:
"If every game you experience reminds you of every other game, then your gaming life is half gameover."

I realize the point being made was that this game feels like a bunch of oher games but NOT a Castlevania game... but I hardly think it's fair to use more than two games to describe a game to imply that it's unoriginal.

Here, let me show you... back in 2000!: Half-Life is like Star Wars Jedi Knight but also like Doom and gets a bit Tomb Raider-y at times. So it's tripe, you might have fun with it but that makes you a tosser.

I think it's time Yahtzee starts reviewing games on their own merits and stops using the "like blahblah but" stamp.
...unless it's really needed, like Mercenaries 2.

Lol, first post on a Yahtzee video altho i've been following you like Patrick Steward follows Belmont for 2 years now... I liked Castlevania but was waiting for this video...

You should've play it on the PS3 since it was originally intended to be on that console and it shows... 1 disc only. What I liked about this game is that you get the feeling that you can explore the levels and such in the way God of War doesn't let you, and in a way it feels like Super Castlevania IV (in my mind) but with multiple combos...

What I would like to see is reviewers challenging themselves and review this game without saying anything about God of War, Dante's Inferno (which is getting so much recognition it's starting to feel original) and Shadow of the Colossus... I know you would say "but the game is so similar I must plus it makes cheap easy laughs" but the thing is ALL the reviews say the same shit, and Yahtzee is one of the few originals out there... So I was kind of expecting something more out of him...

But still good game, nothing original and two things dear beloved (i'm a guy) Yahtzee:
Its "Direct" (strong) attacks and "Area" (light) attacks... And the letter said that the Cake wasn't a lie... Which I laughed at but didn't get in the context"

*puts down sandwich*
So... the only things worth b*&%"ing about are a bad one liner, unoriginality, and slight difficulty in casting spells?

I'm still not going to eat that sandwich

CynicalMarcus:

FieryTrainwreck:

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

No, no, no.

Mythological monsters and chained whips were Castlevania originals. You need to wake up.

No, they were mythological originals. That's not the point at all. We're talking about video games. In the context of this medium, God of War originated its particular breed of gameplay - fluid, whip-based, third-person action in a polygonal, mythological setting with QTEs and occasional puzzles.

Castlevania originated 2D, side-scrolling, whip-based action with a mythological setting. That's why games of that ilk, when they pop up on XBLA or PSN or whatever, get hit with the "Like Castlevania, But" stamp. Meanwhile, games that copy, wholesale, the experience of God of War are very appropriately compared to GoW.

You're confusing thematic or conceptual originality with originality of execution. At best, we're talking about different things. Of course, I thought it was pretty obvious that Castlevania had whips and monsters before God of War, so I figured you wouldn't assume I'd be talking about concepts/themes.

Edit: because more people are defending this game as anything but a GoW clone... I don't get it. We've seen a ton of third person action games the last year or so, and some of them have been hit with the GoW stamp when they probably didn't deserve it. Darksiders isn't much like GoW. Bayonetta isn't much like GoW. Dante's Inferno definitely is. But this Castlevania game? It feels more like a GoW clone than just about anything I've played. I understand the tendency of some folks to decry standardized criticism as an institution worthy of reconsideration or even destruction, but that doesn't really apply in this case. Lords of Shadow deserves every "Like God of War, But" stamp it gets.

let them keep trying. We all know there's about 15-30% chance of success with Castlevania. Sooner or later, there will be an awesome Castlevania, in 3D, that they didn't skimp on with the music, or the camera, or they cut it from continuity....

bah, SoNdd it, they always fuck up something, don't they.

Know why it doesn't feel like a Castlevania game? Because it isn't! It was originally just "Lords Of Shadow". It wasn't until the game was well under development that they changed the name to Castlevania. Does nobody remember reading the E3 interview with Mercury Steam? I need to find that article again and post it all over the internet. Every single review of LoS says the same thing, it doesn't feel like a Castlevania game. Ahhh. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really remember reading that.

[]

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

No, no, no.
You can't just invent something completely new every time you develop another game.

Thats the thing though. It can still be the same genere but still play completely different. DmC and Bayonetta are completely different from god of war, But LoS and Dante's Inferno are exactly the same. You mention FPS, Mirrors Edge, Halo and CoD are all FPS's but the play completely different!

there is nothing in this game that has not been done before, and i really don't get why people are supposedly saying good things about it

FieryTrainwreck:

CynicalMarcus:

FieryTrainwreck:

Gamurga:

dennett316:

ranyilliams:

No, no, no.

No, they were mythological originals. That's not the point at all. We're talking about video games. In the context of this medium, God of War originated its particular breed of gameplay -

No, it did not. Action platformer where you're facing down legions of creatures of myth using a whip based weapon? Castlevania did that in 1983. God of War was the first game to take the ideas that Castlevania brought forth years upon years beforehand and successfully bring it into 3D.

Even so, it only perfected it. Lament of Innocence came out two years prior, utilizing similar gameplay. I'm guessing that you've only been playing games for about six years now?

I've actually played this game, and it truly is the shambling frankenstein of all the most cliche parts of the modern AAA gaming action world.

There is not a single point in this game that I have not seen done elsewhere before (and done better).

However...despite all of that it's still at least technically functional.
Though it had better be seeing how everything it ripped off was already tweaked and repeated to near-(im)perfection.

That was an interesting final analogy...

JustaGigolo:
I wish they would just make more handheld 2D castlevania games, instead of God of War knock offs.

How about another Metroidvania game getting a handheld rather than another Other M (or maybe in fact it will be Another M) namely a sequel to Fusion.

ninjaman87:

You had a point until you butchered the english language and pissed on Shadow of the Colossus.
The first reason is self explanatory, but the second is not because you attacked a great game, but because you became a hypocrite.

See, you missed the main "poitn" of SotC. It was a game that used the travelling time to have you take in everything you did, and construct your own character from the actions. Each person has a different Wanderer at the end, BECAUSE of a vague story that handed you all the tools. It decided to use it's sceneic yet empty world to properly play with immersion. When the action picked up for the battles (all of which were with clearly different enemies that were each defeated in a different way, making each of the fights in the game memorable, a feat most other games with a lot more action will never accomplish), you suddenly jumped into the character, and became him. You couldn't blame him for killing the colossus after you suddenly feel bad as you watch it fall, because YOU were the one doing it. The action itself was also made all the better because your character was a normal village kid. He knew how to climb, ride, and shoot, but try swinging the sword and you'll see just how average he is. That meant he had to utilize all of his normal skills while most other games have you be a badass, which makes the giants much less imposing than those in Shadow (I'd like to point out that this was just one of many examples in that game was able to elicit emotion. Having one moment like that is normally enought to make it a good game, and SotC was able to do this at least 16 times).

As I've already said, all of what the game was comprised of was open to interpretation. Who the girl was the the Wanderer, who was the villain (of the three characters at the end), what the world was, what the colossi really were like (very few of them were actually violent, so were they just simple creatures acting off survival instincts, or intelligent beings just trying to find peace), how they were constructed, what happened after the end, did Dormin keep his deal or was it something else, did Emon mean to do that, etc. were all left up for the player to decide, but unlike most "open to interpretation" games, it made it so that you didn't have to stretch your imagination to do so. You automatically filled in the blanks.

Of course, this is assuming that you didn't just mindlessly run through the game, expecting the game to lead you through the story by the nose (given that it didn't even really lead you to the colossi but let you find your way there with the equivalent of a fancy compass pointing "in that direction" but not showing the path, you shouldn't have expected this). If you decide to judge it as only what it contained, rather than the experience, than you've missed the point of the game.

ANYWAYS, OP: While Yahtzee doesn't seem to like it, everything I've seen about the game says it could at least be good. It'll probably help that I never played Castlevania before (never really felt the need to. My sidescrolling game needs were met by Metroid and Megaman), so I won't feel like it "isn't a Castlevania game!" (but given the fact that just from what I've seen of Castlevania, maybe the formula needed to be mixed up). I guess the only problem I'd really have is the lack of Drac, since even as someone outside the series' audience, I still know him as the iconic figure of the games that he is (and of course the "What is a man?" line).

ranyilliams:

lol its not his joke, he just reports it. Tell THEM to stop doing it.

Yknow, i honestly cant tell if Lord of Shadows is a good game without playing it (duh, you say, but cmon, we all choose what were going to get....) People say its good, people say its bad. I play the demo, it seems beautiful and it might be going somewhere deep, it also seems simplistic and youre going to be killing Modokons for hours.
The characters in the preview seem deep and meaningful, trying to tell our James Sunderland with whip hes foolish.....and at the same time, ive ALREADY SEEN THE ENDING....and they seem childish and bland.
Even yahtzee seemed to be thinking deeply on whether its bad or not....

THEY COMPLAIN THAT YOU USE A CHAIN WHIP, like in god of war...but the series ALWAYS had chain whips, what else is it supposed to look like? If it doesnt have chain whips, people complain......and say its the best castlevania EVER (symphony of the night)........so..huh....(wait, what?....)

plus Gabriel has a really tiny head. Really tiny, head

The narrative seems pretty interested, I like the character and the narrator. But still, not a day one purchase or full price purchase for me anytime soon. Other titles first please!

Zenode:
i was thoroughly disturbed by some of the analogies in that video

Does anyone get the title

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Lords: Damn cant think of anything
of: God of war
Shadow: Shadow of the Collussus

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Vampire Lord?

minimacker:
Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.

But then we wouldn't have Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia. And god knows those were the only other Castlevanias after Castlevania IV that I gave a flying shit about. (Well there was the second N64 Castlevania but that was a guilty pleasure and I was young. Chances are good that game hasn't aged well)

new nintendo ds 2d castlevania please.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or