Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

joemegson94:
In The Passing/The Sacrifice, it's possible to listen to Still Alive on a jukebox. Also the fact that it's by Vlave doesn't make a difference; it's still a game with a portal reference.

Which of course isn't even the issue.

I hereby make the prediction that in seven years all franchises that have gone crappy since they turned 3D will have downloadable and remotely good 2D games - like what Sonic just did.

Logic time:
If (a) good Castlevania games follow the "metroidvania" structure,
and (b) Metroid Prime was a good 3D adaptation of a "metroidvania" game,
Then if you wanted to design a good 3D Castlevania, isn't the obvious solution to model it like the one of the Prime games?

Everything you said was what I thought of it.

Although it was nice to fight werewolfs instead of undead legionnaires.

Am I the only one that realized that he messed up in the text? When he did 'The Count From Sesame Street' backwards, he started it with HTE. And his stamp is technically backwards the first times.

Well the fart joke was funny but I actually do like the game fighting elements. it makes you think Metal Gear for a reason..probally cause it was made by Hideko. There will be a sequal.

I really had to laugh about the "pile of miserable little secrets! Ah, ah, ah!". It shows your nerdiness ;-)

ranyilliams:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

it's not a joke, it's sadly true.

buy teh haloz:
I never knew he liked Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but he should probably try Super Castlevania IV, that game was the best in the "classic" Castlevanias and a linear game as well.

Been watching AVGN huh?

ninjaman87:
dude what the fuck is you main problem cant you just have fun when playing games wich are the main poitn and after all the piece fucking garbitch of shadow of colossus what nothing more than a patetic waste of time and speace it had nothing interesting to do and you only fight so little this game had more of a better story.

Is there actual english in this post?

OT: I liked Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, and Symphony is one of the best games of all time hands down, but this sounds awful.

Man he kicked it. He kicked it HARD.

The end of that review nearly killed me.

Unless they manage to make a Metroid Prime-style leap to 3D, Castlevania will NEVER work in three dimensions.

I really liked LoS actually. The story was solid (but cliched, I know), the enemy variety was plentiful without being ridiculous, and the combat was overall satisfying. Also, it really is annoying that people are still complaining that it is "like God of War but...", I guess because one game did something no other game should ever do it again and the really upsetting thing is if Gabriel used a different weapon, like a sword, people would have just said "like Ninja Gaiden but...". Games are going to copy things off one another, its a fact and it is inevitable, so people should not be AS upset as they are when it happens. BTW I loved both GoW and SotC so this game was like having two of my favorite icecream flavors at the same time.

I'm a little disappointed he didn't mention the immersiveness murdering glitches and the save issue. Everything else he mentioned are minor issues compared to those two kicks to the crotch.

oh that is so cheap Yahtzee! cracking me up with a fart joke...hurr hurr good one
nice move, and with the Count from Sesame Street too ah ah ah...

You do realize that the 3d Castlevanias with similar play style came out long before God of War 1 right?

joemegson94:
Left 4 Dead 2 has a Portal reference and that game's awesome.

Really? Where? Is it on some saferoom grafitti? I've logged almost 200 hours on that game and I can't think of where Portal might have been referenced.

On topic, this was about what I expected, given the underwhelming response from the official Escapist review. Solid humor if a little grosser than usual, but the "pile of secrets" thing in the credits had me cracking up.

Disk swapping argument is invalid - PS3 version is on one disk.

Game is crap anyway though...

Sephiwind:
Good Lord Yahtzee I seriously think you dropped the ball on this one. For starters the "Like God of War but.." stamp is getting old. If you are going to do that then you might as well give every FPS a like "Wolfenstein 3d but..." or "Like Doom but.." stamp. Hell while we are at it we can give every turn based RPG the "Like Final Fantasy but..." or "Like Dungeons & Dragon's but.." stamp. Honestly just because God of War started that style does this mean that every game of that style is just coping God of War? There is all ways going to be some game that started a style of game play that became popular then others copy it. Personally I think that's the only way they they really could have done a 3D Castlevania game.

The problem is the degree of similarity. Most FPSs that came out shortly after Doom (Wolf 3D wasn't as big as hit) were actually called Doom-clones, because they mostly copied the Doom formula wholesale. The genre actually evolved a lot since then, and a current-day game like Halo or CoD has very little in common with Doom except for the most basic tenets, like "it's in 1st person, and you shoot things". The same for RPGs and RTSs and other genres.

For some games, the similarity to GoW is too much and they get labeled as clones, as the Doom-clones did in their day. I didn't play Lords of Shadow much, but my impression from the little I played was that it ripped from GoW just a bit too much.

zipzod:
Logic time:
If (a) good Castlevania games follow the "metroidvania" structure,
and (b) Metroid Prime was a good 3D adaptation of a "metroidvania" game,
Then if you wanted to design a good 3D Castlevania, isn't the obvious solution to model it like the one of the Prime games?

I don't really understand this logic, but that means a First Person Castlevania "Mirror's Edge with Whips"?

minimacker:
Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.

Why? I'm playing SOTN right now and making me blow my load.

OT: Thanks Yahtzee for touching on the fact that this game is NOTHING like castlevania, which was the main reason I didn't get it...
I saw some guy who calls himself SP review it and when they didn't even notice that it's nothing like castle vania, really jostled my flaps... rockband 3 next and GH6? maybe fallout?

ranyilliams:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.

Maybe game developers should stop making games that are like God of War but...

usucdik:

joemegson94:
In The Passing/The Sacrifice, it's possible to listen to Still Alive on a jukebox. Also the fact that it's by Vlave doesn't make a difference; it's still a game with a portal reference.

Which of course isn't even the issue.

It is. I'm pointing out that not all games with portal references are crap.

Honestly I found this game more of a homage to other great games (without lingering too long on any aspect) and not so much of a ripoff.

Sure the basic combat feels like God of War initially, but once you get new moves and light and shadow magic the combat becomes very different. I'm also going to assume Yahtzee played this on the easiest setting, since attacking and dodging only does not work on higher difficulties, and really requires you to block and manage your magic more as a result. That's another thing, you gain more magic power by attacking repeatedly without being hit and critically timed blocking pretty much negates out any downtime if you do get and stuns your foes for a second or two. Light magic restores health and has defensive effects like a damage reduction shield when used with holy water and exploding fairies. Shadow magic increases your damage significantly and causes your daggers to explode on impact (required for some puzzles to hit switches from a far). Both have unique moves that become available when active.

Anyway the main reasons you should play this game is the story, visuals, Patrick Stewart, and the awesome triple twist ending. The gameplay is enjoyable and nowhere close to bad, but it's not the primary selling point of this game.

EDIT: for those who say this is nothing like Castlevania, sorry you're wrong on that note. The enemies, settings, and characters are all pulled from supernatural folklore and previous Castlevania games. We get all the same themes that Castlevania is known for on a much more refined scale and the reason Dracula doesn't appear til the Outro makes perfect sense when it is revealed.

Eicha:
I must say I disagree about the 3D Castlevania thing. I really liked Lament of Innocence, it was pretty fun and engaging. Even though it had like... 3 characters.

Legacy of Darkness had like 4 characters and all it was was Castlevania 64 only NOT broken, and a WHOLE other GAME added to it

on another note, Castlevania Judgement was... well... fun to look at, fun to watch, easy to play, great music... but not really fun to play... there IS such a thing as TOO easy people

if only they made it 4 player... then it would kick brawl off the map because it's just as complex *wark wark*

Turbo_ski:
Honestly I found this game more of a homage to other great games (without lingering too long on any aspect) and not so much of a ripoff.

Sure the basic combat feels like God of War initially, but once you get new moves and light and shadow magic the combat becomes very different. I'm also going to assume Yahtzee played this on the easiest setting, since attacking and dodging only does not work on higher difficulties, and really requires you to block and manage your magic more as a result. That's another thing, you gain more magic power by attacking repeatedly without being hit and critically timed blocking pretty much negates out any downtime if you do get and stuns your foes for a second or two. Light magic restores health and has defensive effects like a damage reduction shield when used with holy water and exploding fairies. Shadow magic increases your damage significantly and causes your daggers to explode on impact (required for some puzzles to hit switches from a far). Both have unique moves that become available when active.

Anyway the main reasons you should play this game is the story, visuals, Patrick Stewart, and the awesome triple twist ending. The gameplay is enjoyable and nowhere close to bad, but it's not the primary selling point of this game.

Paying homage instead of ripping off

like duke nukem compared to darksiders

in duke nukem 3D which is very Doom-like AND you find the Doom space marine and duke says "that guy is doomed" ...but it's still a very original game

while darksiders just rips off everything that had a good run once upon a time

Uggh. I know that Yahtzee has this little game he plays every week which goes, "what's the most disgusting jizz/blowjob/scat joke I can make with a metaphor?" but this one was not fun for me. I have to remind myself over and over to never watch the Kane and Lynch 2 review again because the last gag (how appropriate) did not do good things to my stomach every time I heard it.

I guess this'll be about as effective as... something not very effective possibly involving a wall, but maybe Yahtzee could tone the gag-enducing metaphors down a little for next week? Please?

dudeman0001:

minimacker:
Castlevania, huh?

I wish this never left SNES.

Why? I'm playing SOTN right now and making me blow my load.

OT: Thanks Yahtzee for touching on the fact that this game is NOTHING like castlevania, which was the main reason I didn't get it...
I saw some guy who calls himself SP review it and when they didn't even notice that it's nothing like castle vania, really jostled my flaps... rockband 3 next and GH6? maybe fallout?

I want to see him review Minecraft, I feel like the only one that doesn't like it and I'm sick of everyone around me telling me I suck for not liking it

ugh it's like Runescape all over again...

on the other note: I don't know why but some people think Super Castlevania 4 is the "last" castlevania game because it was the last linier NON-rpg one

and their whole arguement for why SotN sucks (I LOVE IT) is "it's too haaaaaaaaaaard... waaaaaaaaaaahh it's too haaaaaaaaaaard!.. this game suuuuuuuuucks it's actually challenging! booooooo hoooooo"

worst part is I actually made that sound more mature then the person I know who said that...

just litter it with many many unneeded F-bombs, and add a PS1 controller being thrown across the room (with the rest of the PS1 attached) and you'll have a good recreation

Zenode:
i was thoroughly disturbed by some of the analogies in that video

Does anyone get the title

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Lords: Damn cant think of anything
of: God of war
Shadow: Shadow of the Collussus

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Or it could be that almost every castlevania game in recent memory follows the formula "something of something"

Symphony of the Night slightly plays with it. Otherwise, Rondo of Blood, Lament of Innocence, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia.... hell, most follow the form "term for a kind of musical piece" of "something bad/gothic".

But seriously, you think they ripped off God of War by using the word "of"?

I give Yahtzee a big cookie for the joke second-to-last joke in the credits.

Woah...that's an interesting new mic you're using, Yahtzee...

Havn't laughed that hard in a while. Fantastic.

Kermi:

ranyilliams:

Maybe game developers should stop making games that are like God of War but...

It's not a remotely fair criticism of this game. I've played God of War and I've played Castlevania, and they don't feel any more alike to me than any two games you could pick from *any* gameplay genre.

Sure, Kratos's main weapons are whiplike, just like Belmont's. Would you rather Belmont *not* use a whip? Gordon Freeman's weapons are all vaguely gun-like. So maybe it's a massive rip-off of Doom.... except that's stupid. But this is literally all they share in common. Same basic genre (action game) and a vaguely similar primary melee weapon. Even the QTEs, which permeate this and other genres, aren't very GoW-like other than that they exist. They remind me more of the rings from Lost Odyssey. So sure, Castlevania is "like God of War.... but" for the fact that it really isn't.

I fully agree on the camera issues, can't fight what you can't see and all that. Plus I missed the Portal reference in-game, the knight scrolls are all generaly "woe is me, i'm a goner" junk, so I didn't bother with them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here