Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Pages PREV 1 2

Scariest moment for me was when i was playing F.E.A.R and you could tell the game was building up to one of those creepy moments where the little girl leaps out at you.
Anyway, the girl had just leaped out and was now randomly leaping out at me at quick random intervals when out of the corner of my eye i saw my little sister rush past the door, she was about the same age as the girl in the game(also had long hair) and was also wearing a nightie (looks like the dress she wears), so naturally i s**t my pants and started freaking out that the little girl from the game had somehow appeared in real life!!

Soon realised that it was of course my sister, but for a second there i freaked out big time! :)

Ravenholm's was also scary the first time i played through, especially when i almost completely ran out of ammo at that part where there's about 3-4 of those poison zombies spread out around some alleyways, those were some tense moments :)
(also whenever i was stuck in one of the tunnels, the dark freaked me out)

Good Times! :)

Man I tell ya, the first time I came face to face with one of them fast zombies on Ravenholm, it made me jump. The damn thing came right in front of me out of nowhere, screaming right into my face!

Also I know the one from Thief 3...sneaking around in a haunted, "desolate" mental institution...Didn't want one of the "patients" pinning you down *shudder*

Diagonal Horizontality:
I'm playing Thief III for the first time right now. Haven't been particularly scared yet...
I mean, I've had zombies wheezing into my ear, but they're scary in a "damn, these things don't appreciate a good bop across the bonce" way, not so much outright fear inducing.

You'll know. When it happens and you come across that level, YOU WILL KNOW!

DTWolfwood:
o thank god i wasnt the only one to be freaked out by Ravenholms!

The first time I made it to Ravenholm it was 1 am launched an explosive barrel that sent a zombie corpse flying right into my face, said fuck you Valve turned off the game and waited till the next day.

I always find it amusing just how much is Shamus into tvtropes.org. He's always mentioning them one way or the other

Jack and Calumon:
I wonder how many users are going to make a "Basement" reference? Either way, the shower is the WORST thing you could do. I still want to know why the teenage girls think it's the best option in the middle of a serial killer's home.

Calumon: Maybe you could barricade yourself with the cones he has! He can't cross them! :D

Hey Jack and Calumon!!!

HankMan:

Jack and Calumon:
I wonder how many users are going to make a "Basement" reference? Either way, the shower is the WORST thing you could do. I still want to know why the teenage girls think it's the best option in the middle of a serial killer's home.

That's not nearly as bad as having SEX!
"Hold me sir!"
"ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

LOL I remember the New Friday the 13th all too well -_-

Girl: Hey let's have sex in this supposedly dead guys Bed!!
Guy: sure!!

Jason:....You two are so..*Sunglasses* Fucked! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Grey Carter:
Oh God. The fucking Cradle.

You mean this Cradle!?

MWAHAHAHA

Madara XIII:

You mean this Cradle!?

[horrorsnip]http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/software/thief-deadly-shadows/TDS16.jpg[/horrorsnip]

MWAHAHAHA

NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

*rocks back and forth in fetal position*

I never found Ravenholm all that scary, but I was beyond frustrated at the time with the controls, among other personal matters, so that may have had something to do with it.

Anyways, I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat certainly has it's fair share of terrifying moments. I was doing a mission in the Jupiter plant, and an Emission had just occured, so it was storming out still, and it was night in the game, so the factory was pitch black except for the odd flash of lightning illuminating some of the factory. I was on edge as it was, and all of a sudden when I saw an enemy dart off to the side, I just about lept out of my chair. That, Jupiter Underground, and the city are all terrifyingly atmospheric in my mind.

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: Maybe you could barricade yourself with the cones he has! He can't cross them! :D

I think this mysterious killer is constructing his own additional pylons!

Shamus Young:
Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Somebody doesn't know their horror movie tropes.

Read Full Article

Actually, I thought Silent Hill 1 was better than Silent Hill 2. Whether or not the monsters are actual demons is sort of irrelevant. What matters is when wierd spectral stuff goes down, you are going to have at least some raving lunatic talking about demons. To be surrounded by monsters and have no one point out these things shouldn't exist- or bring up demons- isn't realistic. It doesn't make sense. Regardless of whether or not the monsters are demons, you are going to have people talking about them.

Oh, and in that one level where you fight two Pyramid Heads, there was the Seal of Metatron on the floor even though James would not logically know what that symbol looked like. So you sorta got this one wrong Shamus.

DTWolfwood:

I knew about the level, and I was still a little jittery while playing it. I jumped more than a few times. I've yet to finish playing through HL2 (yeah, I know, blashpemy. But when I get stuck I just walk away form it for a while), but that level has taken me the longest to complete so far. I kept creeping around every corner, and looking over my shoulder. Valve did a great job.

2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I might write an article on this later, but I thought this game was amazing.

I can't actually play Amnesia. Not that I don't want to, but it genuinely triggers fear responses in me so that I can't continue.

Ravenholme zombies don't actually scare me as much as they unnerve me. I can't stand the burning screams...puts my nerves on edge.

Onyx Oblivion:
NOT THE SHOWER!

How many hours do you have on GMod, anyway?

I've been meaning to ask.

1469 Hours

On topic, that one level in Thief 3 is terrifying.

That one Thief 3 level was the reason why the amount of time it took me to complete that game increased by about a week. I needed to work up the courage to continue. Even now, anytime I think about playing through the game again, I remember the Cradle and then decide to go play something less terrifying. Like something from the Fatal Frame or Silent Hill series.

The_root_of_all_evil:

2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I might write an article on this later, but I thought this game was amazing.

I can't actually play Amnesia. Not that I don't want to, but it genuinely triggers fear responses in me so that I can't continue.

Ravenholme zombies don't actually scare me as much as they unnerve me. I can't stand the burning screams...puts my nerves on edge.

Look at this way, if it's anything like Penumbra the ending is going to be utterly disapointing and laughable.

ahahaha!

I do have Amnesia, I just can't play it because Civilization is SUCKING UP MY LIFE, but I do have to agree with you about Ravenholm. Though, for me, the terror didn't really last to the end. It was at that place where they spawned infinitely that I realised that all you need to kill them is your crowbar.

CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK

Yeah, Ravenholm scared me the first time, too. Now it's much more fun, but I still get a twinge of "aw nuts" when I hear the fast zombie sounds.

Shame on you, Young, for not mentioning the hotel part on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Everyone else who knows what I'm talking about, I apologize for giving you all a sleepness night tonight.

DTWolfwood:

You certainly were not the only one. Ravenholm was crafted quite well. Not as well as like Silent Hill but it definitely threw in the extra creep factor well.
One thing Valve has been doing quite well with Half Life, and Gearbox picked up with Opposing Force, was the 'Yanking away your security' moment.

Please do write an article on Amnesia. I for one would be interested to hear what you thought of it.

Plus, it would be nice to see that game get a bit of exposure.

Grey Carter:

elvor0:
Oh christ not the orphanage, that place was fucking horrible, I never want to go back there, scary. as. fuck.

Exterminas:
I still can't go to the cradle today.

Agreed, especially since theres no way to actually KILL them, except the holy water. Creepy ass shit.

Desworks:
That one Thief 3 level was the reason why the amount of time it took me to complete that game increased by about a week. I needed to work up the courage to continue. Even now, anytime I think about playing through the game again, I remember the Cradle and then decide to go play something less terrifying. Like something from the Fatal Frame or Silent Hill series.

the only way i got through that was by reading a walkthrough at the same time. First resident i saw, i was like:

*Paused the game*
"okaaaay, time for dinner"
*looks down*
"...and a change of underwear"

Pipotchi:

donutsftw:
For me, Ravenholm was scary as hell the first I played through it and didn't know what to expect (the fact that I wasn't as good at FPSs st the time helped). As for "that level" in Thief 3, I didn't find it all that scary, since the level didn't really alter the gameplay that much. I was very slow and cautious on all the levels, and ran at the first trouble, and if you play "that level" this way it's just not as scary since you aren't forced to make quick decisions.

My scariest moment in gaming has to be the first extended action sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Seriously, my hands were all shaking and sweaty by the time I beat it, and you could have heard my heart beating from across the room.

Was that the one where you have to escape your hotel room, dashing from room to room and hitting the locks?

nah, that level wasn't scary, it was exiting, but not scary. cuz they were humans. the REAL shit stirring moments was when you were in the sewers with the ghost of the girl because there was SOMETHING there and it sure as hell was. not. human.

GUYWITHAGUN:

Grey Carter:

elvor0:
Oh christ not the orphanage, that place was fucking horrible, I never want to go back there, scary. as. fuck.

Exterminas:
I still can't go to the cradle today.

Agreed, especially since theres no way to actually KILL them, except the holy water. Creepy ass shit.

As far as i remember, you could kill them with tons of flash bombs and fire arrows, but that was sooo expensive. : /

Pipotchi:

donutsftw:
For me, Ravenholm was scary as hell the first I played through it and didn't know what to expect (the fact that I wasn't as good at FPSs st the time helped). As for "that level" in Thief 3, I didn't find it all that scary, since the level didn't really alter the gameplay that much. I was very slow and cautious on all the levels, and ran at the first trouble, and if you play "that level" this way it's just not as scary since you aren't forced to make quick decisions.

My scariest moment in gaming has to be the first extended action sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Seriously, my hands were all shaking and sweaty by the time I beat it, and you could have heard my heart beating from across the room.

Was that the one where you have to escape your hotel room, dashing from room to room and hitting the locks?

nah, that level wasn't scary, it was exiting, but not scary. cuz they were humans. the REAL shit stirring moments was when you were in the sewers with the ghost of the girl because there was SOMETHING there and it sure as hell was. not. human.

Looks like someones much too genre savvy O.O
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathByGenreSavviness

Shamus Young:
And if you played the game, you know what level I'm talking about.

Oh God yes. I still get little shivers thinking about it. Really, I only need to say two words... The Door.

Seriously, I made a video and wrote a World of Warcraft-based crossover story about the Cradle. I'd say it made an impression on me.

krellen:
Admit it. You still freak out when you hear the Poison Headcrab gurgle.

I don't remember who it was or where I read it, but someone did a scientific measurement of a gamer's heart rate during a playthrough of Ravenholm. At one point, upon hearing the telltale rattle of a venomcrab (my little name for them), the gamer's heartrate went up to 117 beats per minute. In comparison, a study of people prone to panic attacks found that an attack raised the sufferer's heartrate to an average of 102 BPM. Valve knows how to play with our heads.

Loving the Thief III reference. First thing I thought of when reading "scariest videogame moments"

Scrythe:
Shame on you, Young, for not mentioning the hotel part on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Everyone else who knows what I'm talking about, I apologize for giving you all a sleepness night tonight.

Oh my, the hotel... Scared me shitless the first time I played it. I've been playing VtM so much though that I think I can seriously finish that level with my eyes closed.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here