Obsidian Mailbag

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

For those short on time, just read the bold part.

I'm sure it's been said before, but it's worth repeating. For the sake of RPGs, Black Isle needs to get the band back together.

Obsidian appears to have gotten a lot the people with the insane complexity and reach of Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment (and all the rest), but very little of the technical genius that, y'know, made those games work. Bioware got the technical geniuses and pencil-necked geeks who know how to make a game work, but there have been more than a few complaints that they've been making the same game over and over with variations on the theme. The technical end of the games are fantastic, with titles such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age ranking among my favorite of the recent crop of RPGs, but there is a little less depth to their products as the years have gone by.

By no means are either company's games bad. Oh, hell no. When Obsidian gets their bugs worked out and, you know, decides to hire female voice actors for some of their games*, I love them. I've been playing New Vegas for a while, and despite many definite bugs and slowdowns, it's the first Fallout game since F2 that actually feels like a Fallout game. Similarly, I own and am in the process of replaying all the Mass Effects, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire. I like these games a lot. But think of what someone with Obsidian's ambition could do to knock them out of the park, if they had Bioware's technical sense and QA to fall back on.

So, once again, please, Black Isle, get back together. One half of you is having their games meddled to bits by EA (Like the sound glitches on Windows 7, the stupid DRM fiascos, the silly microtransaction policies for things that should have been in the game to begin with, the EADM, and the inability to play due to the Cerberus Network not being up the first day in ME2), and the other has enough bugs and weirdness in their games that they might as well be a European developer.

*This was the sole reason they didn't include a playable female in Alpha Protocol according to the dev team. They had to meet a deadline or a budget or something and were unable to hire a voice actress.

Christ almighty, Kouriichi, stop acting like a spoiled two year old obsessed with instant gratification.
Keeping a game 2 extra months for testing doesn't mean it's going to never be released. It means you have to wait for a finished product. Fans of competent companies tend to understand that.

EDIT: Forgive me if I have a hearty laugh reading you tell someone they can't complain about free entertainment.

This was really a joke. I haven't played New Vegas, so I have no idea whether it's good or not, but, next time, use direct quotes. Don't twist the question to make it easier to answer.

QFT:
"This is simply not going to happen as long as gamers continue to accept sub-standard quality and make excuses for them."

I agree. Gamers need to stop making excuses for games and companies.
You can't move the industry's quality forward by just accepting all the problems, only by naming them and providing criticizim can the problems be worked out because they are not being ignored.

Personally, I think that bioware should stop relying on story for good games and should start using GAMEplay instead (looking at you, dragon age)

Discounting the endings, I personally think obsidian makes better stories.

In general I also found the game pretty glitchy (and yes, it is literally required for me to ALWAYS have task manager open when playing or I risk having to reboot my computer when my sound card makes a noise like a thousand angry scarab beetles and my entire computer acts like I tore out 90% of the memory) but my only real problem with the way you said it was the "any level of play testing" thing. Perhaps they play tested it on my computer and the computers of all my friends who DIDN'T have this save game issue. It's one to say "this bug is ridiculous and should have been caught" but saying that it should have been easily caught in playtesting when it could easily slip through doesn't make sense to me.

I.E.D.:
Instead of making these articles, Shamus, maybe you should just post your system specs so I could give you a run around on updating your system, drivers and relevant software so that you can too rejoice with us in the glory that is FNV.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here