Trailers: F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

personally, I want to see this game succeed. The whole coop thing makes me worry, I just hope it doesn't mess it up.

meh. As long as the entire game is like the trailer, I guess it could be a little scary/good. Unfortunately, the trailer is pretty much never any sort of indication as to what a game is going to play like. I'll wait and see...

I personally felt that F.E.A.R 2's atmosphere was a SHIT TON better than the first. The thing is, the atmosphere wasn't really focusing on being scary but rather desolate.

I'm not sure how this is going to end up. I want it to succeed. Obviously everyone is going to think it's not scary and that it sucks. It's a mainstream game. Oh, and a god damn trailer you're not playing. Pretty much anything mainstream that focuses on horror is flooded with "This isn't scary." That's fine, what ever. But people really ruin things for themselves by focusing so much on the "being scared" aspect. If you dwell on it, you definitely won't be scared! Just let it come.

That being said, I think the bed thing and the cradle are a great step in the right direction. That's actually atmosphere and, I think, creepy as fuck. Did I shake watching this thing? No. But if you do at any horror game or movie, your constitution is pretty low to begin with. Pretty much the only fear most will get a reaction from is jump scares. Oh, but I forgot, those aren't scary. By definition they are (fright or flight response) if you get a reaction, but no one will admit that.

Atmosphere is great in horror games and movies. The problem is, actual fear won't really derive from it on its own merit. Now, don't get me wrong, there are other types of scares that can be done well and REALLY rely on atmosphere. But, the reaction will never be as great as an unexpected jump scare. The resonating fear, however, won't last as long. I think being scared in a game or movie really relies on personal phobias and your current mood. Forget your playing and judging a game. Feel like your the actual character and in danger. The thing is, if the game is great, this becomes a whole lot easier. Here's to hoping F.3.A.R. is one of those games.

By the way, yes the name is stupid. I could of swore I heard them say they were going to change it. They changed F.E.A.R. 2's name pretty close to launch date, so it's still possible. Also, I miss Monolith, but at least they are still collaborating with Day 1.

Really? another thriller style horror game relying on blood gore and shock visuals.
Well I guess the world hasn't had a new doom game yet so it can fill in until id software get their thriller sudo-horror monster mangler out.

I liked both F.E.A.R. one and two, so I'll definately be getting F.3.A.R. HAAAAAAA I see what you did there...clever, no one else has thought of this...........(obvious sarcasm is obvious)

Uhg. I'm a huge fan of the first fear, but the business with the pregnant alma and whatnot... sooo lame. FEAR 2 was a huge letdown for me. Horrible characters, worse gunplay, and no subtlety. I love that they had someone named snakefist (should that be snak3fist?) spell out the whole plot in 35 seconds of exposition. Bleh.

I'd love to hope that this third one will be good. No beans though.

Zhukov:
Ha!

Apparently the people behind this game think they have an actual horror title on their hands.

What a joke.

I've played Amnesia. This trailer just made me giggle.

Also, whoever decided to call the game F.3.A.R., with the three in the middle like that, needs to have a live badger stuffed down their pants.

That said, I may well end up getting this game just for the hell of it. One should always be give these things a chance, right? Right...?

I endorse this post!

F.E.A.R. has never, ever been scary for me. I don't wish to offend anyone's taste, but if you find this poor series scary, then you've been missing out. Please, put down your controller and go play Silent Hill/Penumbra/Fatal Frame etc because they are all far superior. This is just a perfect example of Western developers taking elements from Japanese horror and hoping that fusing them together will be enough.

HOWEVER, saying that, Monolith also made Condemned which is quite high on my list of games that make me wet my pants! Probably because the scares are more subtle and mostly non scripted. You can scare yourself a hell of a lot more when an enemy is in the room with you and they AREN'T running and gunning. Then again, they dropped the ball with Condemned 2.

As for F.E.A.R.... the whole name has always been stupid! I mean come on, First Encounter Assault Recon... which just happens to spell out FEAR? How did that even get past the board meetings? What sort of person would sign up for that? I believe Lund and Shanks pointed this out quite nicely in a certain Doomsday Arcade episode. Don't even get me started on F.3.A.R.!

twaddle:
I never played the fear games but i read about them. I know in the last one u impregnated ALMA.(how that shit works i will never know) And in the promo for this one you appear to have one of her spawn calling you brother.....so did ALMA have twins and you play as one of the twins that came out normal and the other came out twisted monster mind fucking nut-job that stayed with his Mum? And ALMA is pregnant again aparently.... If my speculation is correct....then....and, i thought MY family life was a bloody horror novel

Allow me to explain...

halo3rulzer:

FiveSpeedf150:

Twad:

Nile McMorrow:
I think FEAR 3 may have promise and could bring back respect to the name of the game (Damn you FEAR 2 for being so tame).

I agree. FEAR 2 was just too easy and not nearly as scary as the first imho.

Agreed, FEAR & Extraction Point fucked my day all up, Perseus mandate and FEAR 2 were... eh. FEAR 3? They should know what works by now. I'll preorder.

The nurse part of extraction point where you first walk into the maternity ward and that Silent Hill nurse thing screams at u scared the living fuck out of me XD

Yep, best scare in the game. Cheap shot, but it sure worked. Now near the end, after all that crap, when you know you're about to go to the last level of the game, and you see the sign that says "Morgue", and you know where you're gonna have to go... yeah. I remember I quicksaved and took a break there. Waited for some sunlight XD

FiveSpeedf150:

halo3rulzer:

FiveSpeedf150:

Twad:

Nile McMorrow:
I think FEAR 3 may have promise and could bring back respect to the name of the game (Damn you FEAR 2 for being so tame).

I agree. FEAR 2 was just too easy and not nearly as scary as the first imho.

Agreed, FEAR & Extraction Point fucked my day all up, Perseus mandate and FEAR 2 were... eh. FEAR 3? They should know what works by now. I'll preorder.

The nurse part of extraction point where you first walk into the maternity ward and that Silent Hill nurse thing screams at u scared the living fuck out of me XD

Yep, best scare in the game. Cheap shot, but it sure worked. Now near the end, after all that crap, when you know you're about to go to the last level of the game, and you see the sign that says "Morgue", and you know where you're gonna have to go... yeah. I remember I quicksaved and took a break there. Waited for some sunlight XD

Ha! I remember seeing that and thinking "Well shit... If they can make the maternity ward fucked up I don't even wanna know about the morgue........"

I have to say one thing, whilst the game itself never really sent me into a cold swear, it does have a great atmosphere. Haven't played much of FEAR 2 just yet.

FEAR: Shooter with horror elements.

F3AR: Doom 3 with FEAR elements.

Well that was fun . . .

-M

I would be more scared by the green phallus creeps in Minecraft.

hhmmm... Interesting indeed.

I really think that they are gonna fix up F.3.A.R. after how terriblly bad FEAR 2 was, I mean, yeah the first couple of scares get you, and make you shit your pants, but after a while it gets predictable, and then you know when to turn your sound down so you don't have to explain to your mum why you went through 6 pairs of underwear.

But F.3.A.R. hopefully will get a major revamp with the whole scare factor, I actually kinda hope that it isn't based a lot on the shooter part, I would really like it to have a bit of amnesia the dark descent in there, as in you don't have an unlimited amount of ammo and you have to ration it out, and if you waste every bullet of it firing at a shadow, you've got to fucking run and hide, and then skulk around finding ammo and hope a creature isn't lurking around the corner or right behind you covered in blood like the crazes axe murderer whos right behind you!! But don't turn around or that'll make him really pissed off, don't turn around you idiot!

You turned around didn't you?

But anyway, F.3.A.R. hopefully it will be scary.

Anyone still expecting 'scares' out of FEAR hopefully jumped ship already. The series has been strong for its level of 'creepiness' and the plot.

I'm looking forward to the game's release this winter season and hopefully seeing the plot come to a close, as well as seeing this co-op play out the way it was promised.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here