Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Ah good old Kyle Katarn. Definitely one of my favorite Jedi's of all time. He was always damn awesome. Shame we'll never see another one of his adventures.

Steve Butts:

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

You are not alone.

Fabian Stetter:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^

My Star Wars trivia is rust but I recall Starkiller being the original name for Luke Skywalker's character.

It'll probably be spring of 2011 when this game is cheap on half.com before I bother getting it.

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

[quote="Steve Butts" post="6.241689.8749385"]Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

THE ONLY PERSON WHO DESERVES TO DUAL WIELD LIGHTSABERS IS TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN, WE ARE DONE TALKING

Well, Steve, you know what they say about lightsabres (shut up Firefox, lightsabres is so a word =I): the more the merrier. That's why Grevious and Darth Maul were so awesome.

Duel wield all the way. B)

But, on-topic: This game is for the Wii, yes? For that reason alone, I won't be getting it. I want a Wii, but I have a deformity in my right hand that makes my thumb not work like a thumb, so I can't use the Wii controller. =c

I've lost around 400 hours of my life to Jedi Knight 2's online multiplayer. Why can't they recapture the magic!?

There was a discussion on 4chan not long ago about casting Robert Downey Junior for Kyle Katarn.

I almost cried.

Nekros22:
There was a discussion on 4chan not long ago about casting Robert Downey Junior for Kyle Katarn.

I almost cried.

Tears of joy, that is.

Haven't played TFU 1, but both games look fairly interesting. They also look like they could be better. That's not the point here though.

I really have to point this out. In the first game, he reverse-grips his lightsaber. That's all fine and well. Now that the sequel comes out, not only does he use reverse-grip, he does it with two lightsabers! How is that practical and who thought that was a good idea?

I sense much needed Kyle Katarn in this game or at least the next.

Fabian Stetter:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^

A little tidbit of Star Wars geekery: Starkiller was originally intended to be Luke's last name in the original movie, but for some reason they changed it Skywalker because it didn't sound as evil, or something.

The best part of jedi outcast, was your lightsaber really felt like a lightsaber. It could kill enemies just by touching them, including teamates. And when you actually swung, assuming you have saberrealistticombat on, you'll cut them to pieces. Way better than force unleashed. I dont understand why people prefer jedi academy over jedi outcast. I guess its becuase you start with the saber, but frankly, I like the story of outcast better.

Nekros22:

Nekros22:

I almost cried.

Tears of joy, that is.

Yeah he'd do a good job. he looks enough like him, and he can be humorous, just like kyle.

I'd also like to add I find it amazing General Kota was blinded and then tossed out of a ship that seemed to be hovering in the stratosphere and Mace Windu gets shocked loses and arm and tossed out a skyscraper and is gone forever.

Is it just me or was alot of the footage in this review lagging and had weirdly low quality visuals?
I played the demo and I don't remember the bump mapping, lighting and effects looking that bad.

Its almost like they recorded it from the pc version and had it not only running on a machine that couldn't handle it but with all the settings set low as well.

I played the demo, I enjoyed it but one thing that got on my nerves was the split second freeze frame every time you make contact with an enemy using the lightsaber, I found that so annoying, am I the only one who noticed this?

I don't particularly have a problem with double lightsabre's, but it would have been better to offer the player a choice, double or single, like jedi academy did.

Also, when doing the video supplement... is it possible to use more then one tone? Even when the words used were about excitement, the reviewer still seemed bored. Maybe because he was bored with the game but it just sounded off. A sure way to get your audience to nod off is to just drone on. Which is how the video felt.

Game was too damn short. I beat vader, watched the cutscene and was like, "sweet, now i get to go to another planet and fight an even stronger baddy. Wait, credits? what are the credits doing here? OH GODAMIT!!!"

I'm enjoying this game, one thing in the review though, Darth Maul did not Duel Wield lightsabres! His was a Pole-arm, a double headed light bill-hook if you will!

I am not a sci-fi guy but I know my ancient weaponry!

The character isn't very relate-able, the game is really short and really it's just not a very good star wars game. I didn't expect much out of this being the first one wasn't that great either but this was still a pretty big downgrade. Along with this the replay value is almost nonexistent since the only motivation you have to go through it again is to try it on a harder difficulty or get all the collectibles. Thus you have no control over the story other than an ending which just adds to the repetitive experience.

Oh great my post didn't showup for a minute =/. Please delete.

Jedi Knight 2 - now there's a great Star Wars game.

The Force Unleashed is Star Wars repackaged as puerile crap for 14 year old emo kids.

We're all forgetting the real problem here.

What the hell happened to the gaming stash?

I miss Kyle aswell. I prefer Jedi Knight:Dark forces 2 over Jedi outcast however.

Also if any starwars game asks me to name my main character then Kyle Katarn is always chosen.

Regarding the review, SWFU2 seems as bland as the first game so I'm going to steer clear.

I just look at it as a simple Star Wars HackNSlash so it doesn't have to be good. Just distract me from my meaning less life for 5 hours.

Starkiller is possibly the most juvenile name I've seen outside of a youtube posting section. It's like having your ACTUAL NAME be something like xXDarkLordSephirothXx.

I miss Kyle, and Atton......sigh!

I pre-reserved this game a month ahead of time, paid full price, and picked it up at the midnight release. And let me tell you: waste of time, waste of money.

Let me warn you, do not buy this for the Wii. I bought TFU1 for the Wii because of the motion controls for the force and the lightsaber. TFU2 does not do it the same way. In TFU2, the controller is a regular controller just like the PS3 and XBox360 controller, and the motion controls are random controls to make up for the lack of buttons. So without good motion controls, there is no excuse for anything else.

In the TFU1 I excused the poor graphics because of good motion control gameplay. In TFU2 I could not excuse the graphics. What makes it worse is that the graphics got worse. After playing TFU2, I went back and replayed TFU1 and you'd think the 1st game came out second because the graphics were better. It was like TFU2 wasn't even trying with the graphics. But we know it's possible because we've seen (Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock comes to mind). In TFU1 I excused the horrible plot because of motion control gameplay. In TFU2, the story gets worse, and without the good gameplay, the story sickens. Now granite, I will say in light of where it started it didn't end too bad. But the plot should not haven been continued. In TFU1, I didn't like where Starkiller's character development went, but I was ok with it because of the motion controls. In this one Starkiller is worse, and I really can't justify it without good controls. Half the time Starkillre is this emo guy. Actually, he takes emo to a whole new level, always crying, whining and talking about his feelings. The other half of thie time, Starkiller is this happy-go-lucky, have-fun explorer, who jokes around with dry hmor, uses sarcasm, and is witty with other character. In fact, the best way I can describe it is like Brendon Fraiser's character from the Mummy triology. Heck, even sometimes Starkiller sounded like him.

Point is if you're a Star Wars fan and gamer who has to choose between which console to get it for, DO NOT pick the Wii. For the first one, I would definitely say the Wii is your top choice. But not for this one. At least get good graphics.

Go play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast instead. It may be eight years old but it's still better at being what The Force Unleashed is trying to be.

Agreed. This game is far more worth your time people. I recommend you buy the "Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection" which comes with 5 full games all for the third of the price of TFU2.

God I freakin' love Steam.

Steve Butts:

Read Full Article

OMG I LOVE KYLE KATARN WHEN IS HE GETTING A NEW GAME I WOULD TOTA
*slaps self*
sorry. I'm just a huge fan of Mr. Katarn. I miss him too. I really wish they'd do another jedi outcast game

I have to admit, I was so psyched after playing the demo I was ready to pre-order it, but I'm glad I rented instead. While it had its fun aspects, and while the force powers themselves kick all manner of ass, there were too many problems. Invisible walls in the over-drawn boss fights leaving me to get pummeled over and over again, lack of enemy variety and the extremely short campaign left a lot to be desired.

Jedi Academy, though, remains one of my top games ever. I remember pausing, spawning 30 enemy Jedi with the console commands, then taking them all on at once in brutal and frantic battles of insane proportions. I can only dream that someday a star wars game will be made with Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy's style, lightsaber combat and gameplay with TFU's force powers... hot damn.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here