The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Radiogame Theatre

Radiogame Theatre

Radiogame Theatre takes modern and classic videogames and turns them into old style radio shows! In the premiere episode, we portray the survivors of a zombie apocalypse as they've been...left for dead!

Watch Video

That's pretty interesting! Since I'm a huge fan of the original 4 survivors and love all the crazy gmod videos and other stuff people do, i really liked this, too. The "grabbin' peelz!" meme ( at least i think that it is a meme) was nicely presented, and it had several great lines ( i lol'd quite a bit at the "where are you? We got pills!" part).
Screw the video not having much to look at! It's still good stuff.

I loved the composition of the audio. In terms of the video, it was a little...repetitive? However, that's not to say this couldn't be a great show on simple video / good audio alone.

That was pretty entertaining! Good work.

I love this stuff!!

Radio shows were pretty awsome!!

Good luck!!

Christ I'm glad I didn't try to enter this year now, the competition this year is intense!

Love this show as well, I take it you'd cover various other video games too? Even then best wishes in the competition.

'We Got Pills'...
so far my favorite entry on the list ..
i sincerely hope you guys win :)

though the actual vid leaves a lot to be desired ...ie just a room....

Dear Sir\Madam

I'm astounded. This entry was just good.
But, just one complaint. Kinda minor. but it must be said.

As few have mentioned already, the video could be spruced up a bit. Why not have a video slideshow of the events happening as the Radiogame Theatre is being played? Something in the style of, say, Max Payne(bes example I could think up of right now)? If that was't what you were gunning for, at the very least add some more animations to the static room besides the flaming campfire. How about a person sitting in the chair for instance? That moves his\her legs once in a while or even reacts to the radio play as it unfolds?

I really enjoy the Radio Play concept. It reminds me of the old BBC Radio Theatre Plays that I listened to long long ago. To add to the praise, I love the very Outer Limits kind of feel you added to the story. It certainly has piqued my interest on what you will cover next!

You have my vote and best of luck to you!

Regards
Migs

Thank you guys show much for the praise! We all worked really hard on it.

SniperMacFox:

I take it you'd cover various other video games too?

Yes, I have plans on doing Half Life, Timesplitters, Thief or Assassin's creed, and possibly Bioshock. But if we did win, I'd be open to giving other games the radiogame treatment!

Migs:

Why not have a video slideshow of the events happening as the Radiogame Theatre is being played? Something in the style of, say, Max Payne(bes example I could think up of right now)? If that was't what you were gunning for, at the very least add some more animations to the static room besides the flaming campfire. How about a person sitting in the chair for instance? That moves his\her legs once in a while or even reacts to the radio play as it unfolds?

That's a nice idea! I wasn't planning on doing a slideshow as I wanted the audiance to focus on the audio and and the "radio show" aspect, but those are some good points. I might just have to steal them.

Thanks again everybody! And good luck to all the other videos!

The games covered need to be less repetitive than L4D, otherwise you're just having people shooting at things. Personally, I think it would be good to have a narrator to help move the story along. That way you can have the audio just come in as sound effects for emphasis.

Excited to hear more.

Would definitely download this as an audio file and put it on my ipod so I could listen to it as I drive to work. I don't think it needs pictures. Funny stuff.

Thanks Paul! I consider that high praise!

I think this would make a great weekly podcast. Like other people have said. Would be fun to listen to at work.

talenos:
I think this would make a great weekly podcast. Like other people have said. Would be fun to listen to at work.

Or while doing some papercraft, just saying~
Great entry, however one notice, the vet and Francis sound so alike I barely can tell wich one's talking.

Really nicely done. You nailed the style of vintage radio dramas very well.

Agreed, this would be awesome as a weekly podcast for the Escapist, you should definitely talk to Rus about that. As a video series, I don't think it stands up so strong, since as always with audio files, I started looking for something to do with my hands and eyes. I think I'd really enjoy this as something to listen to while I drew or took the bus to class, but not as something to watch.

Thanks guys! I would not mind at all if it was a weekly podcast! *cough cough hint hint.*

Kiithid:

Or while doing some papercraft, just saying~
Great entry, however one notice, the vet and Francis sound so alike I barely can tell wich one's talking.

I. Love. Papercraft.

And I understand about Francis and Bill. That was my greatest concern.

Also, if anyone's interested, I posted the first run through we did on youtube. I just thought it was hilarious because we made all the gun and zombie sounds ourselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXdPHwYiLU

While working, I listen to a LOT of podcasts/audio dramas/books on tape, and this makes an excellent addition. Yes, some people may want more for the visuals, but I'm happy just listening.

You got something here.

Wonderful idea that's so different from the rest of the entries and/or anything that's currently on the escapist.

While it might be good to have more visuals to go along with it, for me the charm is it is simply a radio show and as such I think your imagination can come up with far more than pictures could ever show (well...90% of the time).

Some time in the future I'd love to think to myself: "Hmmm...it's Tuesday...it's a boring journey to work...what's it time for?...Radiogame Theatre!"

This is better than "The adventures Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood and his man-servant Argyle" in Fallout 3...

not a good idea for video series, but perfect idea for podcast series for the escapist. Hopefully guys get picked up

Cool idea.
I wasn't too keen on the middle cuz it dragged a little, but it really picked up towards the end.
And I like how it all came full circle.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't think this idea is good for an Escapist video series. It's not that I don't think it's good, the voice acting and writing were both astounding, it's that, well, it's not a good video series. It's a good radio drama spoof series. I don't think the slide show suggestion would do enough to make this worth the space over entries that are both visually interesting and well-written. That said, I certainly do want to see more of this. Have you considered working on it as a podcast and submitting it to a site with a more dedicated podcasting section, like That Guy With The Glasses? If you could get a contract with a site like that, I think you'd get some good exposure for the series, and the concept would fit the medium much better.

I really like the idea, only real problem I see is bad idea for a video. Other then that I do enjoy the hell out of it. It is real good, but works well as a great podcast. Want to see more of this, but does not fit as a video. If you don't win set up the podcast of it, I know I be sure to listen. Though a link be helpful if you do go that route. That way I could listen to more. I really would like to hear more, since it is good.

I love this

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here