The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Game Science

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game Science

Welcome to the Gaming Institute for Higher Learning! In today's lesson we learn about the institute itself, along with the strange fungi discovered by a portly plumber with a doctorate.

Watch Video

I like it! Really an idea with lots of potential.

2up+2down/(left right)² ^^ no cheating during classtests!

Hehe, a great mock 90s info video stlye. I think the concept is great but needs some focusing.

Yeah, it was tough to find a good balance between introducing the premise and focusing on the topic of the day. After cutting a few things I ended up wishing I would have had the time to fill in part of that last minute. Overall, I'm happy with what I was able to put together, even if I would have liked to do more with it in the end.

I liked it, think the best way it could be improved is with better audio. Your voice was a bit hard to hear at times.

JoshTheater:
I liked it, think the best way it could be improved is with better audio. Your voice was a bit hard to hear at times.

I agree completely! The boom mic I had to use turned out to be a piece of shit. Sadly, no money at the time for a better one. I ended up having to run the audio through a few filters in those parts to get em as good as they turned out. Better mics are an investment I plan to make. Along with a better camcorder

Well in that case, you did good work with what you had available.

That was pretty damn good. Even if you don't make it on the escapist, i'd really like to see more (and longer) episodes.

I loved it x3 Give moar!

maskedklaus:

JoshTheater:

I agree completely! The boom mic I had to use turned out to be a piece of shit. Sadly, no money at the time for a better one. I ended up having to run the audio through a few filters in those parts to get em as good as they turned out. Better mics are an investment I plan to make. Along with a better camcorder

You might want to try a clip-on mic to cut out the echo.

This was great. One thing I'd really like to see is games beyond the NES, if only because everyone's made jokes about them. Still, it looks like you've got a unique take on this, so I won't complain.

randommaster:

maskedklaus:

JoshTheater:

You might want to try a clip-on mic to cut out the echo.

This was great. One thing I'd really like to see is games beyond the NES, if only because everyone's made jokes about them. Still, it looks like you've got a unique take on this, so I won't complain.

There are definitely plans to go beyond The NES. We just figured for the pilot we would stick to the basics. I have ideas for Bioshock, Dead Rising 1/2, Crackdown and many many more!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback thus far!

I liked it and it has potential. I'd like to see more to be sure of my opinion.

I viewed all the entries. yes even those that made me wish I hadn't and this is the one I hope will continue. Great job! I will agree when you win invest in a new mic other then that your on the right track.

I loved it and dearly hope this series is continued.

Loved it. I'm looking forward to what you will do next.

Pretty cool.
The dead drug tester made me laugh.

maskedklaus:
*snip*

That's cool, I'm just kind of throwing out thoughts.

This actually reminds me of an article in Nintendo Power from about ten years ago when they wrote a fake article about using warp pipes for travel.

I really liked it, you have my vote.

I haven't seen every submission (nor do I plan on it...some are so awful I can't watch past 10 seconds). This is definitely the best, and has the most promise for the future. I'll be surprised and very disappointed if you guys don't get picked up.

I thought that was really funny! Great use of gaming memes love your inclusion of Dr. Mario (That picture was perfect)! I'm sure you wish you had more time, but I can't believe you got all that down in four minutes! That's an accomplishment. You just said, "Screw you time constraint! I'm not playing by your rules!" Great video and good luck!

Thus far my vote is with you. Really enjoyed the style, it actually felt right.

Nice work.

I like it!

Nicely done, it's got great potential. The only thing that let it down was the production values mainly and also I felt there were too many clichéd jokes.

It all reminded me a little of am early 90's, Gaming "Look Around You". Check that series out if you haven't yet :)

Great work, good luck!

Actually funny. Kinda loved it. And that lady is pretty cute, too. Just an observation.

A nice attempt at copying the Know Your Meme series on Rocketboom. I think this series has some potential.

Not bad, needs work. Sound levels are off. Good idea that needs more punch.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! It is appreciated!

Gralian:
A nice attempt at copying the Know Your Meme series on Rocketboom. I think this series has some potential.

I can say, with all honesty, I had never even heard of Know Your Meme until you mentioned it. Looks pretty interesting though! I may have to set some time aside to see what it's all about.

My inspiration actually comes from a combination of informational/educational films from the 80s and 90s, along with the old University of Phoenix commercials from back in the day, when they'd be all like "Now you can earn your degree from home! Wowsers!" Back before it was all internety. Also, if anything, the BBC "Look Around You" series was inspirational. At least, the first season; I've still yet to see the second.

Definite series potential and it was quite entertaining in its mock science approach in the spirit of look around you or know your meme of those old science programs teachers would drag out videos of when they didn't want to teach...

Are you actually considering expanding on any of the other topics mentioned or are they just a fake list as a joke in its own right?

carnkhan4:
Are you actually considering expanding on any of the other topics mentioned or are they just a fake list as a joke in its own right?

Actually, I have tentative scripts for a number of the subjects I mentioned and ideas for a few others (not to mention about 30 more topics that I didn't mention, as that scrolling section would have taken forever). However, a few of the subjects mentioned (e.g. Advanced Poopsocking) were meant as jokes. I suppose there is a possibility that I could do those, but I haven't thought of how yet.

This shroom tastes like I might die !

You got my vote.

This got my vote as well, I loved it and hope we can see more of it! :D

My only real compliant was that it was kinda hard to hear you sometimes.

I was voting for the card monsters one, but after "Castlevania Psych: What IS a man?" I am going with you now. Hopefully if you get it you can improve the video/audio quality and give me another thing to look forward to every week.

Nicely written, I see potential here.

Note: 24 semester class

xD

Unique. A comedic deconstruction of videogame tropes with its heart in the right place. 4/5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here