The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Press to continue

Press to continue

Put your gaming knowledge to the test in this devious intro quiz!

Watch Video

Would make a nice youtube series. I dont think it has much potential for the escapist. I got the sims and ME2 right.. never played th eother before.

Only got the first one... I hate what that says about me.

Hmm... I see potential here. I enjoyed this one.

This was nice, but it feels short. I'm curious as to how long the weekly episodes would be.

There is something here, I do like testing my game knowledge. Sadly, the only game out of them that I had played was The Sims, but that doesn't mean I did poorly. I got 3 for 3. It pays to read and watch things about games, even if you don't own them or have played them. I still have loads to watch, I will see what happens in the end.

Damn.
I only got the first one.
I might look up that Grim thing. Looks interesting.

It was even harder in production - I had the original Phantasy Star in there at one point!

I'd like to think the idea has legs, and if I can stump The Escapist followers, well... that makes me kinda grin, in a maniacle way ;)

I got all three right.

Distorted Stu:
Would make a nice youtube series. I dont think it has much potential for the escapist.

I was thinking the same although if fixed up a bit I'd probably watch it on escapist or youtube

3/3, awesome! It was a fun little quiz show. Would that be the premise for all the episodes?

it just seemed so unfocused it starts of as a quiz then transitions in to 20 second reviews. things be already have both of here on the escapist.

Paul Hearding:
3/3, awesome! It was a fun little quiz show. Would that be the premise for all the episodes?

i also am curious to this matter.

The concept is of an intro quiz, with the answers delivered as a quick little synopsis of the game plus its reception, a few little facts about it and maybe some opinion if considered appropriate - they're not meant to be reviews, per say.

I figured it would help keep pace, make it fun and give some little blasts of nostalgia at the same time instead of being just a list of names as the answer. I didn't want it to be yet another review show, since there are loads of those... I'm yet to see another "guess the intro" video.

As a concept, it can be extended into themes such as holiday based, certain genres or even "vintage years" where all 3 came from the same year. There's also scope for playing about with the think time segments to add a little comedic distraction whilst you try to remember the name.

I enjoyed it and the concept, but I've got a question.
Will many people get the answer wrong (as oppsed to right or a non-attempt)?
Because for me I've either played the game (/ have seen the game) or I haven't. If I have I'll get it, if I haven't I'll be unable to even take a stab in the dark.

Maybe, for the really obscure ones I could have myself giving hints via the guess-o-vision bits to reduce that? Would that go down well? Especially if I tried to be humourous with them...

I'm somewhat viewing this in the same way as the "guess the intro" round from British music quiz TV show Never Mind The Buzzcocks, where it's a case of my trying to find an obscure clip to use in order to elicit the "Uhhh, where's that from??" response they try for by making the people perform the intro. ;)

Yay, i got all three!

Ahem. I actually really liked this, and i can't help shaking the feeling that this is copying an old tv show that used to be on in the UK. Either way, the bitesized bits of information about three random games was certainly entertaining and i'd like to see more of this.

I enjoyed this, a lot. I did get all three right.

The commentary was interesting, and the whole style of it was very appealing. And I'm sure The Escapist will like it because there's plenty of opportunity for contests to come out of it.

Gralian:
Yay, i got all three!

Ahem. I actually really liked this, and i can't help shaking the feeling that this is copying an old tv show that used to be on in the UK. Either way, the bitesized bits of information about three random games was certainly entertaining and i'd like to see more of this.

Thank you :)

My GF did say it had a very Gamesmaster feel to it! >.< I take it as a compliment since there has been such a paucity of gaming content on our screens of late - I was speaking to a guy who was one of the creative forces on Gamesmaster and Gamesworld about that very topic, apparently every TV channel rejects them because "gamers want to play games, not watch shows about gaming" *facepalm*

The quiz bit seems a bit light-weight for the escapist, but the commentary was pretty good, unfortunately without the first bit there isn't a series. Full marks for suitability for serialisation though.

Weirdly, old educational program formats seem to be popular this film festival...

I liked this one. I just wish it was harder.

I figured it was best to make it relatively easy for the pilot - giving you gentle introduction.

I have a *lot* of old roms, consoles as well as quite a few indie titles and contacts in the UK games industry. Be sure, if I get the contract there will be considerably harder clips to guess ;)

This is brilliant. I like the Games Master style voice overs, the production was tight and its great to see a fresh idea. I really hope this wins!!!

Any idea when the commentary will be happening?

Ruptuk:
Any idea when the commentary will be happening?

Not until the voting is over. There is a possibility that the commentary will affect the voting, so they'll hold off until after.

I liked it. Got all 3 right, but have only played The Sims. This has potential as a short-form series. I'd watch it because I love trivia.

Gutted I didn't win, I thought I had nailed the Escapists requirements (polished, interesting and unique). Happy with an honorable mention tho.

Thanks to those who offered feedback and shared their thoughts.

I'll be releasing new ones on http://www.verticalslice.tv - Gonna try to get a new one out every Thursday, starting next thurs rather than this one (got a gig I'm attending). I'll also be working on producing something better than the "guess-o-vision" segment for the think-time.

Difficulty increased? Check!
"Guess-o-vision" taken out back and shot? Check!
New episode of Press to continue? Yup! Have a gander over here http://www.verticalslice.tv/press-to-continue-episode-2

Lemmie know what you think :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here