The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Castle Town

Castle Town

Hyrule has fallen into darkness. Castle Town is being occupied by the Gerudo as a war rages across the fields of Hyrule. Within the walls of Castle Town a young man finds himself a fugitive on the run.

This modern take on Zelda is darker, edgier, and realistic because apparently that sort of thing is in vogue now.

Watch Video

First part was good, but the part with "Gannon" needed some more audio work. I'm not sure how I feel about this after seeing There Will Be Brawl. Trying to put bias aside, I think the dialogue needs more energy. I would like to see it developed further, though.

Well. Colour me impressed. I'm not a Zelda fan, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this in spite of that. I think the fat crazy guy was a big part of that - very nice use of comedic relief to de-stress a situation, I loved that bit.
One problem I noticed was that you can't seem to decide if Link is a silent protagonist or not. In the first scene, he seemed like he was, which I thought was very interesting. So when he spoke up in the next scene, I was a little disappointed.
I was a little dubious of the decision to make it black and white, but I think you made it work.

Overall, excellent job, and good luck. =3

randommaster:
First part was good, but the part with "Gannon" needed some more audio work.

I won't bore you with the details of our audio troubles in the final scene, I could very easily go into a rant. There was supposed to be more/higher quality sounds and effects but the files disappeared to wherever missing socks go. It goes without saying that I was annoyed at having to resort to the in-camera mic.

Moon_Called:

One problem I noticed was that you can't seem to decide if Link is a silent protagonist or not. In the first scene, he seemed like he was, which I thought was very interesting. So when he spoke up in the next scene, I was a little disappointed.

Link had lines in the first scene (and he's quite the snarker), but I had to cut them due to time constraints. It wasn't until I watched it on The Escapist that I realized it might have been a poor decision. Ah well, thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

These are just my opinions, I'm trying to share some constructive feedback.

What I liked:
- The Black and White really worked for this. Made the bricks look more castle-y (hooray for new words) and I think added to the overall mood of the piece.
- The atmosphere in the first scene. Definitely felt like a different time and place, can't quite put a name to it (almost seems like a post-fallout world, but not quite)
- The Owl. Classic
- Potential for epic plot and conflict

What I didn't like:
- As previously stated, I liked the silent protagonist direction that you were taking in the first scene. I was really stoked for that. As soon as he had lines in the second seen I think I said "nooooooo" aloud.
- There were a few rough patches in the audio, especially around transitions. Smooth audio goes a long way (noted that you had problems with audio for the final scene)
- The car driving by when the Owl runs away (I don't know if you're going for a modern-day Hyrule setting, but the presence of the road traffic took me out of it a little bit...but this is a minor point). Before I saw that car, I felt like I was in a different time, perhaps back in castle times or even after a fallout, as stated earlier.

Questions I still have:
- Do you have enough locations available to film a whole series and maintain the castle-y look?
- Where does the plot go from here? Our hero Link trying to defeat Gannon? Or are they just trying to survive?

Hope you enjoyed the feedback. Overall, I enjoyed this video. Thanks for sharing it! Best of luck!

It was hard to tell where that was going.
Wasn't expecting that dark turn things took.

Paul Hearding:
These are just my opinions, I'm trying to share some constructive feedback.

What I liked:
- The Black and White really worked for this. Made the bricks look more castle-y (hooray for new words) and I think added to the overall mood of the piece.
- The atmosphere in the first scene. Definitely felt like a different time and place, can't quite put a name to it (almost seems like a post-fallout world, but not quite)
- The Owl. Classic
- Potential for epic plot and conflict

What I didn't like:
- As previously stated, I liked the silent protagonist direction that you were taking in the first scene. I was really stoked for that. As soon as he had lines in the second seen I think I said "nooooooo" aloud.
- There were a few rough patches in the audio, especially around transitions. Smooth audio goes a long way (noted that you had problems with audio for the final scene)
- The car driving by when the Owl runs away (I don't know if you're going for a modern-day Hyrule setting, but the presence of the road traffic took me out of it a little bit...but this is a minor point). Before I saw that car, I felt like I was in a different time, perhaps back in castle times or even after a fallout, as stated earlier.

Questions I still have:
- Do you have enough locations available to film a whole series and maintain the castle-y look?
- Where does the plot go from here? Our hero Link trying to defeat Gannon? Or are they just trying to survive?

Hope you enjoyed the feedback. Overall, I enjoyed this video. Thanks for sharing it! Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback, it's always great to hear criticism, whether good or bad. As for the stuff you didn't like:

-I originally started writing this for Link as a silent protagonist, but I realized that wouldn't work with the direction that I wanted to go, it would seem really awkward once the plot picked up and the epicness kicked in. Like I said before, Link did have lines in the first scene but they were all cut. :(
-Audio is a bitch ain't it?
-That was the most poorly timed car in the world. And that was also the best take of that particular angle. As for the setting, I'll just be honest and say that I wasn't too sure of when it would be set until after we had filmed...which isn't a very good thing as any aspiring filmmaker will tell you. I have it all figured out now, and I'm going for a blend of 1940s noir, mixed with some modern technology, plus some castle-y stuff to stand in for the old part of town where Hyrule Castle will inevitably be located (I already have the location picked out).

As for your questions:
-St. Louis (where I live) has plenty of locations for us to use. We've got tons of old brick and stone architecture.
-Where do our heroes go from here? Well it's not The Legend of Zelda if Link isn't tasked with saving Hyrule (or Termina or Holodrum or wherever) from some sort of evil. But, this being a parody, albeit a more dramatic one, expect nothing to go right and everyone to be just a little bit off their rocker.

Thanks for answering my questions.

I feel for you and the timing of that car. Sometimes, you just can't control the environment. It reminds me of the time that I had to scrap an entire film session's worth of footage because of the damned cicadas (they will ruin your audio and they really love summer evenings!).

In any case, I'd definitely like to see more of this series! I'd really like to see how epic it gets.

Ok, nice idea of going for a realistic version of Hyrul(that is the look and feel I am getting here). Though I think you are going to end up showing something to set it apart. Right now it is really a meh. Nice idea, but it doesn't look like a parody at this point. It looks more like a copy then anything else.

interesting

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 51014)