The Escapist Film Festival 2010: Opinionated Reviews: Burn Notice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

restoshammyman:
ill give you my vote if you tell me your opinion of the Dilbert animated series from 2000.

I didn't know that there was a Dilbert animated series in 2000. I'll put it on my list, but right now I'm building the interior of the store, so I'm a tad busy.

Ok, so there are fast spoken video game reviews over stills with a yellow background, fast spoken movie reviews over stills with a red background, fast spoken entertainment commentary over stills with a white background, and fast spoken TV reviews over stills with a blue background.

Sorry, but we've seen this done too many times before. I really hate to just slap the "Yahtzee rip-off" on you because I know you're more than that, but if there was just some way you could... stand out, I would probably be more willing to give this show my vote. But I certainly wish you luck, as this is the second best entry I've seen so far.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you mentioned that this is the twelfth in a series? Would you mind sending me a message or something telling me where I could find the other reviews?

A little bit excessive on the amount of thumbs being used in the slides. I know it's superficial, but too much of something does bug me. You also sounded perhaps a little nervous? Your voice was somewhat faint and muffled, as someone else said. I think speaking fast also adds to this, as when people speak slowly they tend to speak more clearly too. Although i appreciate speaking slower wouldn't fit the style you are going for in these videos. I most definitely do not see them as ZP rip-offs. They're more akin to MovieBob; actual reviews that hold real critique rather than 'trolling for the lulz', of which Yahtzee is most famous for.

I think it shows you put a lot of effort into your homework for this video and i can imagine it was a real battle having to sit through tonnes of episodes for a show you despise, and yet still have to remember the information you want to discuss and put it on a slideshow format. A TV show isn't like a movie; it's probably significantly longer to sit through, and thus more excrutiating and tougher to retain information.

If you could speak more clearly (perhaps a bit louder) and upped the ante with your slides a bit so they weren't so simple and repetitious, this could become a great series. I would watch another one of these videos.

Edit: Perhaps talking louder isn't the issue, rather maybe you should stop to take a breath now and then, since if you go on and on and on it's a way to get out of breath, and so the pronunciation takes a hit and you have to talk fast by default, which can result in talking a bit too fast and can come off as passionless rambling.

when you look at it it may seem like a rip off from zp or movie bob but if you look at it that way is movie bob copying zp or is zp copying movie bob just because people use still shots to talk about things dont make it a rip off of anything it just means still shots are easyer to use

by the way not bad i think this site could use a t.v reviewer they have games and movies why not t.v

p.s i hate that show

i liked it the only problem i can see is that the escapist has 2 very strong video review serise up and running thats not to say im jumping on the "lol this is YZ's stuff lol" bandwagon because i honistly belive it isnt the only problem is that i feel the reveiws are a bit...overpopulated lacking a better term on this sight, ignoring that i thought you where very clear , you seemed to know what you where talking about which is always a nice change of pace on the internet =P and i think it was just fun to watch overall seemed less funny and more interesting that the other reveiws here so ya, i might vote depending on what the other entreys are like and ya..best of luck =)

Gralian:
A little bit excessive on the amount of thumbs being used in the slides. I know it's superficial, but too much of something does bug me. You also sounded perhaps a little nervous? Your voice was somewhat faint and muffled, as someone else said. I think speaking fast also adds to this, as when people speak slowly they tend to speak more clearly too. Although i appreciate speaking slower wouldn't fit the style you are going for in these videos. I most definitely do not see them as ZP rip-offs. They're more akin to MovieBob; actual reviews that hold real critique rather than 'trolling for the lulz', of which Yahtzee is most famous for.

I think it shows you put a lot of effort into your homework for this video and i can imagine it was a real battle having to sit through tonnes of episodes for a show you despise, and yet still have to remember the information you want to discuss and put it on a slideshow format. A TV show isn't like a movie; it's probably significantly longer to sit through, and thus more excrutiating and tougher to retain information.

Wow, that was a great, thorough comment, thanks!

Also, the thumbs are a staple image of mine. I know that I can overuse it, but it exists simply to show approval or disapproval, and that is sort of a running thread in reviews in general. And then, if I had a bunch of different pictures of thumbs and picked one at random that would be strange and non-cohesive. So I end up using it a lot (Why am I justifying myself? Who knows. Seemed like the thing to do at the time).

And thank you very much for appreciating the effort involved in these reviews! I did the math once and one full season of a show is eighteen hours of material. And then in shows I hate, it can be painful. How do I retain the information? I take extensive notes. And on this one I watched it with a couple friends of mine, so it wasn't as bad as it might have otherwise been. I had to slog through Heroes on my own... talk about painful.

Reverend Del:
Have to say got tired of the voice before even half way through. It's not suited to verbal diarrhea, unlike Yahtzee's. That and the fact this is a horrible attempt to rip off ZP, only using TV shows instead of games, only means I disliked it even more.

I have to agree. This is a take off of ZP only using T.V. shows. This is a gaming site not a T.V. show site. I think you should come up with original content and quit trying to copy other peoples work. Why don't I make a film called Game Cats and copy Game Dogs only it will be with cats? NOT! 2 thumbs down!

Wow, you people need to lay off "It's a Zero Punctuation ripoff" because no matter who's idea did it first, other people will continue to do so. AVGN was the first video game reviewer and others spawn after his debut on the internet. Should we antagonize anyone who ripoff from him? Happy Video Game Nerd? He reviews good games. Spoony? He's the jack of all reviews. Irate Gamer? Well, you can beat him to a pulp because his shows are dull. Hell, we all draw inspirations from somebody. It certainly doesn't mean it's a ripoff.

Anyway, I love your way of critiquing on television series much like Moviebob does. Besides, the Escapist is expanding their base out.

I'm looking forward for you to review Law and Order.

Okay review of a show I've never heard of... I guess?

Yogurt being there for no reason was dumb, but since it was the only attempt at humor in the whole thing, I guess it's cool.

Has potential, but not something I care much about, that being T.V. shows.

This has been said, but I will say it as well.

You make a nice product. You are adroit, thoughtful, intelligent and purposeful in your criticism. The visual aids are helpful and entertaining. If you win, I will feel nothing but happiness that a sincere Internet talent will flourish.

Your product is almost EXACTLY like Zero Punctuation. The only thing you don't do that Yahtzee does is swear.

It is patently unimportant if this was your intention. I would not dare call you a plagiarist, or imply that it was intentional. Nevertheless, the similarities are so strong, the word "similar" ceased to be adequate. I got the whiff of it within moments of watching it and actually dropped out and stopped watching it the first time (this was right after "Trailer Master," a pale Unskippable imitation, so I was perhaps gung-ho. I have, of course, finished watching it later.)

There is another trailer in the contest called "Speaking in the First Person," which is almost exactly like "Freeman's Mind" (giving narration to the silent Gordon Freeman, in this example). The creator said he'd never heard of it, and was undoubtedly crestfallen when he saw his idea done first (as I was when an idea I had to excise from my entry had also already been done by someone else).

I swear to you, I'm not trying to be belligerent, and I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. You have made something of legitimate and tangible value, something I'm not sure I've done in any of my Internet endeavors. But let me be as clear as day: denying the plainly obvious congruity to your entry and the flagship video series on this very website borders on self-delusion.

King Kool:
Let me be as clear as day: denying the plainly obvious congruity to your entry and the flagship video series on this very website borders on self-delusion.

You know, I have no problems with being compared to ZP (it being, you know, good), I have problems with the people who dismiss me as nothing but a Yahtzee rip-off. It was never my intention to imitate ZP, but I have consistently produced similar work, so it seems my fate to ever be The One that Appeared After.

Thank you very much for being polite about it, though, and I'm glad you enjoy my work.

I found this video worse than the combined effort of all of Game Dogs. Why do I think that? Well, I'll let the readers figure out why I hate something instead of actually pointing at real examples of what made it bad, because that's what this video did.

I LOVE Burn Notice. It's not the best show ever, and I wouldn't try to talk it up too much either, but this review makes it sound like a show that wouldn't be worth watching more than 5 minutes. The whole review reeked of a product hitting some one who wasn't part of the target audience. Hell, I never even paid enough attention to the joiners to see all the bikinis, and yet we use that as an example of why the show was "atrocious." Criticizing that just makes you sound girl who is probably jealous of others in a swim suit and finding it borderline offensive. The only REAL criticism I could take in the whole video was the blue-orange bit, and I don't understand why that destroys the show. MAYBE it could be a better show, but there is plenty of comedy, snarky comments and entertaining espionage to keep me watching and enjoying.

Savant Crime:

King Kool:
Let me be as clear as day: denying the plainly obvious congruity to your entry and the flagship video series on this very website borders on self-delusion.

Thank you very much for being polite about it, though, and I'm glad you enjoy my work.

(lets out a huge sigh of relief)

I was really nervous that was gonna become a "thing."

Agree with general trend in forum. Good to see a show reviewing TV shows and I did like it, good points made but need to change animation style.

Already have zero punctuation, escape to the movies and extra credits using the audio monologue with visiual stills to make point or input gag.

The presentation style is very similar to...well you can guess...but it's got a great flow and you fit a lot in. In a way it feels more like Moviebob than zp, since it doesn't stray into dick jokes and it talks about technical as well as story based issues...

...actually thinking about it, I take back good flow. After a while the speed means you tune out under relentless bombarding of words.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

King Kool:

Savant Crime:

King Kool:

Isn't Rhode Island one of those states where the people are not intelligent enough to match their mile markers to their exits? Anyway, I thought you did a good job on this video! and again King Kool where is your vid? I must have missed it.

mm2publish:

King Kool:

Savant Crime:

King Kool:

Isn't Rhode Island one of those states where the people are not intelligent enough to match their mile markers to their exits? Anyway, I thought you did a good job on this video! and again King Kool where is your vid? I must have missed it.

Are you seriously following me around and commenting on MY comments on your video because I said something mean about it? Is this seriously the level of maturity we're dealing with.

Leave this out of other people's topics.

I think the video is a good start and has potential for wit and some good commentary. It's nice to get an online reviewer for Television shows; it's something I havnet seen done yet. But I wanted to take a minute and give some constructive criticism to the video.

You bring up a lot of points about the writing in the beginning of the review but my problem with it is that you don't elaborate on your points. You mention that The Girl isn't well acted or that Bruce Campbell's character is stereotypical but why is Bruce playing a stereotype? What's the stereotype? What are the cliche's of the show, what's blocky about the exposition, what makes the main character unlikable? There are a lot of things you give thumbs down to but I dont see why they're bad things. One thing I think would help is to take some time and show some examples of these problems you bring up in the review. Also, I read in the comments that the yogurt is something Burn Notices does constantly but having never seen the show I wouldn't know that so the joke felt a little alienating.

Later in the video, you pointed out a few examples of Burn Notice's Color Palette choices and it's editing overload and from the photos you showed it proves the point and it shows your argument well of "Show Dont Tell" (which I totally agree with that policy).

I think that if you took some time and elaborated on Burn Notices writing mistakes or other things that you didn't like, it could help strengthen your arguments and make for a cool review show. I hope this comment is useful and I don't come off as a douche for saying it but I wanted to chime in. Good luck in the contest!

BTW, Stop calling her a ZP Rip-off, she has a completely different tone and style of reviewing then Yahtzee and calling "Rip-Off" is getting annoying.

ADDatWork23:
I think the video is a good start and has potential for wit and some good commentary. It's nice to get an online reviewer for Television shows; it's something I havnet seen done yet. But I wanted to take a minute and give some constructive criticism to the video.

You bring up a lot of points about the writing in the beginning of the review but my problem with it is that you don't elaborate on your points. You mention that The Girl isn't well acted or that Bruce Campbell's character is stereotypical but why is Bruce playing a stereotype? What's the stereotype? What are the cliche's of the show, what's blocky about the exposition, what makes the main character unlikable? There are a lot of things you give thumbs down to but I dont see why they're bad things. One thing I think would help is to take some time and show some examples of these problems you bring up in the review. Also, I read in the comments that the yogurt is something Burn Notices does constantly but having never seen the show I wouldn't know that so the joke felt a little alienating.

Later in the video, you pointed out a few examples of Burn Notice's Color Palette choices and it's editing overload and from the photos you showed it proves the point and it shows your argument well of "Show Dont Tell" (which I totally agree with that policy).

I think that if you took some time and elaborated on Burn Notices writing mistakes or other things that you didn't like, it could help strengthen your arguments and make for a cool review show. I hope this comment is useful and I don't come off as a douche for saying it but I wanted to chime in. Good luck in the contest!

BTW, Stop calling her a ZP Rip-off, she has a completely different tone and style of reviewing the Yahtzee and calling "Rip-Off" is getting annoying.

You know, when I first wrote this script it was my longest of the dozen reviews I've made, weighing in at nineteen hundred words. I think the longer script may have fixed a lot of your criticisms with my video, as I did go into considerably more detail there. However, no one on the planet can say nineteen hundred words in five minutes (except for possibly the guys that read the fine print for radio commercials), so I had to cut it all the way down to eleven hundred fifty words, and most of the detail was lost. My reviews usually run seven to eight minutes, and if the Escapist hires me, I'll ask for more time. There's just too much material to cover in five minutes!

Savant Crime:

ADDatWork23:

BTW, Stop calling her a ZP Rip-off, she has a completely different tone and style of reviewing the Yahtzee and calling "Rip-Off" is getting annoying.

You know, when I first wrote this script it was my longest of the dozen reviews I've made, weighing in at nineteen hundred words. I think the longer script may have fixed a lot of your criticisms with my video, as I did go into considerably more detail there. However, no one on the planet can say nineteen hundred words in five minutes (except for possibly the guys that read the fine print for radio commercials), so I had to cut it all the way down to eleven hundred fifty words, and most of the detail was lost. My reviews usually run seven to eight minutes, and if the Escapist hires me, I'll ask for more time. There's just too much material to cover in five minutes!

I'm guessing that was the hardest part to do and I'm sure it was a headache to condense all the points :P Maybe if you win, you could do an extended version?

ADDatWork23:
I'm guessing that was the hardest part to do and I'm sure it was a headache to condense all the points :P Maybe if you win, you could do an extended version?

I'd really much rather have put up the extended version, but that damn time limit! If I don't win, however, I can't do anything to extend it. Except, perhaps, release the script.

While I was impressed with your ability to stick with a show you don't like for three seasons (I couldn't have), I gotta say I found your review pretty boring. There was nothing engaging in the video itself and the jokes were minimal.
You've already said that you had to cut down the content for time so I wont go into that, but it did make for a very vague critique.
I'm not going to get into the ZPish style either, but you may want to mix it up if they hire you, if only to keep comparisons down.
It's clear you've done your homework and, again, kudos for being thorough, but if it isn't enjoyable to watch and interesting to listen to, why would I bother?

But maybe this is just the inner fanboy raging because I like Burn Notice. Either way, I wish you good luck.

Mcoffey:
I gotta say I found your review pretty boring. There was nothing engaging in the video itself and the jokes were minimal.

Well, thanks for your support even though you didn't like it.

Honestly, when I write these reviews I don't put jokes into them. I always think that if I try to make them funny, it'll come off as forced, so I script them how I'd say them, and if some people think that's funny, great. I really go more for informative content than entertainment, so I can understand that you (and indeed, others) may find it boring.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Two minor problems:
1: Needed more time. Seemed rushed. That was more the fault of the time limit, though.
2: Perhaps a little change in the presentation. I personally don't see it as a ZP rip-off, but I can see why the people who do think that.

Out of all I've seen so far, this one certainly has the most potential for a long run. Maybe not weekly because there are only so many shows on TV, but it's something I could enjoy. Also, now I want to see the episodes that are on Youtube.

I would love to see a review of the walking dead by you.

It was enjoyable and kept me interested. I'd seen a couple of episodes and thought it was ok. But it never made me want to go watch a whole season or anything.

Ok first would like that link for your other videos. Second I love burn notice, yet i have never noticed the color palette that pops up in alot of the episodes. Third the yogurt was amusing to see when watching the video and gave away exactly what I was going to watch. Fourth I believe the escapist needs a female voice cause right now its mostly all guys. Loved the review, valid points, still going to watch burn notice though.

Public Service Announcement: this is what happens when you fail high school logic.

Signa:
I LOVE Burn Notice. It's not the best show ever, and I wouldn't try to talk it up too much either, but this review makes it sound like a show that wouldn't be worth watching more than 5 minutes.

Maybe because she actually said it wasn't worth watching?

Signa:
The whole review reeked of a product hitting some one who wasn't part of the target audience.

The target audience is everyone.

Signa:
Hell, I never even paid enough attention to the joiners to see all the bikinis, and yet we use that as an example of why the show was "atrocious." Criticizing that just makes you sound girl who is probably jealous of others in a swim suit and finding it borderline offensive.

This is called an ad hominem and it's a logical fallacy. It's also further proof you're borderline deaf, because she actually gave a couple reasons why it detracted from the show (pointless establishment, anti-feminist).

Signa:
The only REAL criticism I could take in the whole video was the blue-orange bit, and I don't understand why that destroys the show.

Because it was an overused substitute for actually engaging situations.

Signa:
MAYBE it could be a better show, but there is plenty of comedy, snarky comments and entertaining espionage to keep me watching and enjoying.

Which is basically the antithesis of what she argued, meaning you're either just trolling or indelibly stupid. Or both.

my_ledge_ends:
Public Service Announcement: this is what happens when you fail high school logic.

I've been avoiding posting to this thread since I'm very biased toward this video being that I sat and watched all 3 seasons of this awful show with the reviewer. However... I just had to say that I love you my_ledge_ends... I fucking love you.

talenos:
I would love to see a review of the walking dead by you.

Well, it's on my list now, though probably not for awhile, since it did JUST start, and I can't really judge a series accurately on a single episode.

Dan E:
Loved the review, valid points, still going to watch burn notice though.

I'm actually thrilled that you take that view. After all, it can be the worst show in the world with no redeeming qualities, and if YOU enjoy it, then that's all that matters.

Thanks for the comments and the support, guys!

my_ledge_ends:

Signa:
I LOVE Burn Notice. It's not the best show ever, and I wouldn't try to talk it up too much either, but this review makes it sound like a show that wouldn't be worth watching more than 5 minutes.

Maybe because she actually said it wasn't worth watching?

Signa:
The whole review reeked of a product hitting some one who wasn't part of the target audience.

The target audience is everyone.

Signa:
Hell, I never even paid enough attention to the joiners to see all the bikinis, and yet we use that as an example of why the show was "atrocious." Criticizing that just makes you sound girl who is probably jealous of others in a swim suit and finding it borderline offensive.

This is called an ad hominem and it's a logical fallacy. It's also further proof you're borderline deaf, because she actually gave a couple reasons why it detracted from the show (pointless establishment, anti-feminist).

Signa:
The only REAL criticism I could take in the whole video was the blue-orange bit, and I don't understand why that destroys the show.

Because it was an overused substitute for actually engaging situations.

Signa:
MAYBE it could be a better show, but there is plenty of comedy, snarky comments and entertaining espionage to keep me watching and enjoying.

Which is basically the antithesis of what she argued, meaning you're either just trolling or indelibly stupid. Or both.

WOOOOOW, nice way to be insulting instead of just providing examples of why I was wrong. I suppose you realize the moment most arguments devolve into insults is the moment some one is out of rational ways to win an argument.

Have you even watched the show? I've seen all 3 seasons and I'm awaiting the 4th. As I said before, it's not the best show, and there are plenty of others that I'm look forward to more when out of season (Venture Brothers, Dexter, Always Sunny in Philadelphia), but that doesn't discount this one as being watchable. Just because some one took the time and effort to watch a show, hate it, and then post a video on a reputable site doesn't make their opinion any more right than some one who hasn't gone through that effort but enjoyed the show.

You know what? Reading your response again, I see why you liked the video. Instead of actually pointing out what's wrong with my post, you just dissected it, and merely called each part idiotic. That's what this reviewer practically did by breaking down each character and putting an "idiot" stamp on each of their faces and calling it good. I want to know WHY Michael is a shallow character, I want to see why his girl friend was the most believable, show me WHERE Bruce Campbell rolled his eyes at the camera because he knew the show was shit. NONE of that made any sense to me because I never saw any of it while I was watching it.

The video just reeked of some one who didn't like the show and made an effort to attach themselves to the most feminine aspects of the show while there was almost none. That's what bugs me about this review. To say that EVERYONE is the target audience for the show is completely false. I suppose if I did a review of Golden Girls or Murder She Wrote and hated it, you should take my word for it because I'm part of it's target audience? Now, I've never watched those shows, but they've reeked to me of being targets for older, stay-at-home folk. Should my grandma listen to me if I hated the show? HELL NO!

@Savant Crime Ok, I know I'm being a HUGE dickbag to you, and I'm sorry. You put a lot of effort into your review and you seem like a nice enough person. I just didn't agree with much of what you said in the review, and I didn't like much of how you presented it. Hopefully you can pick apart my rage and find the nuggets of constructive criticism in there to make your videos awesome.

Ok, I'm having a forum refresh issue again, so I'm going to double-post my edit, just it case it isn't going through:

@Savant Crime Ok, I know I'm being a HUGE dickbag to you, and I'm sorry. You put a lot of effort into your review and you seem like a nice enough person. I just didn't agree with much of what you said in the review, and I didn't like much of how you presented it. Hopefully you can pick apart my rage and find the nuggets of constructive criticism in there to make your videos awesome.

Signa:
WOOOOOW, nice way to be insulting instead of just providing examples of why I was wrong. I suppose you realize the moment most arguments devolve into insults is the moment some one is out of rational ways to win an argument.

Let me quote you here:

"Criticizing that just makes you sound girl who is probably jealous of others in a swim suit and finding it borderline offensive."

What I find funny about this - aside from the atrocious grammar - is that you can say that and still try to claim you're the one being rational. I mean, as I said before, that's not an argument; it's an attack on her person, and it is NOT valid logic. Actually, come to think of it, you did mention something about never noticing the "joiners", which is really only further proof that they're pointless.

Oh yeah, and let me quote myself here:

"...[S]he actually gave a couple reasons why it detracted from the show (pointless establishment, anti-feminist)."

There's two reasons why she disliked the bikini shots, though based on the what you've written so far I don't really expect you to have read past me calling your grammar atrocious.

Signa:
Have you even watched the show?

Yes, and I actually enjoyed it.

Signa:
Just because some one took the time and effort to watch a show, hate it, and then post a video on a reputable site doesn't make their opinion any more right than some one who hasn't gone through that effort but enjoyed the show.

So just because your opinion is, by your admission, less informed does not mean you should be taken any less seriously? Alrighty. I can see why you would think that.

Signa:
I want to know WHY Michael is a shallow character

Poorly written and poorly acted (I'm reminded of the "Times Michael Has Pulled A Massively Out-Of-Proportion Dick Move" screen).

Signa:
I want to see why his girl friend was the most believable

She's actually been vulnerable (emotionally and physically) on more than a handful of occasions, and in a variety of interesting ways. Michael on the other hand has just been captured a whole bunch, and as many times as he escapes or gets free the show's producers might as well just put a countdown on the screen every time he gets thrown into a cell/dark room/nasty orifice.

Sam Axe is a freaking phantom for all we know about him.

Signa:
Show me WHERE Bruce Campbell rolled his eyes at the camera because he knew the show was shit. NONE of that made any sense to me because I never saw any of it while I was watching it.

I'd ask Savant that herself, maybe in a PM or something.

Signa:
The video just reeked of some one who didn't like the show and made an effort to attach themselves to the most feminine aspects of the show while there was almost none. That's what bugs me about this review.

Well, fine, you can believe that, but there's no proof of that. The thirty-second long rant about blue/orange tinting alone disproves your hypothesis.

Signa:
To say that EVERYONE is the target audience for the show is completely false.

No it isn't. That's the reason why it's set in Miami, why the trio is made up the way it is, and why it's on the USA network. It's designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

Anyways, I'm not going to continue arguing with you because I don't want either of us to receive infractions for derailing Savant's thread. Go ahead and get in the last word if you want, I don't care. I wish you a long and interesting life.

Signa:

You do have legitimate complains, most of which would be fixed by more time and the longer script, and I do appreciate the comments.

However, you could, perhaps, have phrased your complaints better. Or at least, less belligerently.

Then, you WOULDN'T be "being a HUGE dickbag".

I'll keep your comments in mind when I'm writing my next scripts, thanks for the input!

Savant Crime:

Signa:

You do have legitimate complains, most of which would be fixed by more time and the longer script, and I do appreciate the comments.

However, you could, perhaps, have phrased your complaints better. Or at least, less belligerently.

Then, you WOULDN'T be "being a HUGE dickbag".

I'll keep your comments in mind when I'm writing my next scripts, thanks for the input!

usually I'm pretty good about not being a dickbag. I kinda flew off the handle because of the whole "some one is wrong on the internet" reactionary/troll thing. I didn't stop to consider that the person who made the video would be watching and so I was far more impolite than I should have been. Not that I've needed to, but I could see myself pulling the same shit in a Zero Punctuation thread because I know Yahtzee doesn't read the comments on his own videos.

Yeah, while I'm calmly pointing things out, the "thumbs down" in the video got to me quickly because it felt excessive. Maybe offset them with a thumbs up every now and then if you can point out a positive part of the show you're watching? Like I said before, I liked the show quite a bit. Your review pretty much said there was nothing redeeming about it, and so it almost became personally insulting that you hated something I enjoy (stupid, I know, I know...). I just don't want some one to watch your review and think the show is that awful without trying it. To each their own, but I'd like to think that the time I was watching an episode from the first season and my brother joined me, then continued to watch the show on his own represents some of the positive things the show offers. I wasn't even telling him to "hey! this show is great, you NEED to watch it." He just liked what he saw and gave it a chance.

And believe me, I have my nitpicks about it too. The show got damn repetitive between season 1 and 2 where it almost seemed like they forgot that Michael was burnt spy and not a private fix-it man for hire. Season 3 managed to redeem that for me by directing the focus on getting Michael reinstated, but constantly getting interrupted by some one pleading for his help. It was still the same sub-plots to the overarching plot, but the tone had changed greatly.

Another show that did this and failed was Monk (Also on the USA network, surprise, surprise). Unlike Burn Notice, they kept hitting the reset button at the end of each episode until you almost forgot that he was searching for his wife's killer. I swear there was about 2-3 seasons where Monk just screwed around with NO character development and no progression to the story. I found other ways to enjoy the show, but the premise wore thin around the end of season 2. It's almost like they told a joke until it wasn't funny, and kept trying to tell it until it was funny again. It kinda worked, but you have to evolve your expectations for the show as it progressed, because the show wasn't doing any evolution of its own.

Damn, I just started typing and rambling, and I ended up writing my own review. LOL. Maybe you can take something from all that because I'm sure as hell not deleting it now.

She's trying pretty hard to be Yahtzee.

Then again I love Burn Notice, so I guess I'm biased.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here